PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying Does Booming Blade make noise?

nickl_2000
2018-01-10, 07:28 AM
This came up a few weeks ago, and I ruled on the fly that it didn't make any more noise than a normal battle would since the text specifically didn't say anything about it being able to be heard from X feet away like Thunderwave and other thunder spells.

How do you play it? Would Booming Blade triggering cause a large boom that others could hear at a distance?

Unoriginal
2018-01-10, 07:34 AM
This came up a few weeks ago, and I ruled on the fly that it didn't make any more noise than a normal battle would since the text specifically didn't say anything about it being able to be heard from X feet away like Thunderwave and other thunder spells.

How do you play it? Would Booming Blade triggering cause a large boom that others could hear at a distance?

Well, since it's not mentioned, it probably doesn't have a sound that can be heard from very far away like knock and Thunderwave, but it's still going to make noise, since thunder damage is due to "a concussive burst of sound", but not enough to be especially noticeable compared to how loud a battle is. So I'd say your ruling was logical and works.

It would probably different if the spell was cast in a quiet place.

Though it might be the writers who forgot to add the "can be heard at a distance" part.

Mikal
2018-01-10, 08:36 AM
It doesn't trigger a boom. Spells that make such noises state as such
Ex.

THUNDER STEP
3rd-1eve1 conjuration
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: 90 feet
Components: V
Duration: Instantaneous
You teleport yourself to an unoccupied space you can see within range. Immediately after you disappear, a thunderous boom sounds... The thunder can be heard from up to 300 feet away.

This also means spells like lightning bolt don't cause such sounds to occur.

nickl_2000
2018-01-10, 08:43 AM
It doesn't trigger a boom. Spells that make such noises state as such
Ex.

This also means spells like lightning bolt don't cause such sounds to occur.

That was how I ruled in in game, it does seem very odd that a spell called "Booming" Blade that does thunder damage, doesn't actually make a boom.

http://s2.quickmeme.com/img/b2/b203d47e20833a4da4b58d69b9c4ed957d9fc44125ab2dd92a a0dba0d68b0ddd.jpg

Glorthindel
2018-01-10, 08:50 AM
I would rule yes.

Silence renders everyone within its area of effect immune to Thunder damage, therefore, all thunder damage must in some significant way be sound based. If someone under the effect of a Booming Blade was in the area of effect of a Silence spell, the rider effect would do no damage when triggered.

However, I might rule that at low levels the initial attack itself would make no noise (since no thunder damage occurs on the attack itself until 5th level) with the only sound occuring at the triggering of the rider damage. But from 5th level onwards, even the initial attack would create significant noise. Again, if the attack occured under a Silence (granted, technically impossible since the spell has verbal components, but taking that issue aside), the additional Thunder damage provided by the spell would not be applied.

Mikal
2018-01-10, 09:24 AM
That was how I ruled in in game, it does seem very odd that a spell called "Booming" Blade that does thunder damage, doesn't actually make a boom.

http://s2.quickmeme.com/img/b2/b203d47e20833a4da4b58d69b9c4ed957d9fc44125ab2dd92a a0dba0d68b0ddd.jpg

I would rule yes.

Silence renders everyone within its area of effect immune to Thunder damage, therefore, all thunder damage must in some significant way be sound based. If someone under the effect of a Booming Blade was in the area of effect of a Silence spell, the rider effect would do no damage when triggered.

However, I might rule that at low levels the initial attack itself would make no noise (since no thunder damage occurs on the attack itself until 5th level) with the only sound occuring at the triggering of the rider damage. But from 5th level onwards, even the initial attack would create significant noise. Again, if the attack occured under a Silence (granted, technically impossible since the spell has verbal components, but taking that issue aside), the additional Thunder damage provided by the spell would not be applied.

Eh, if you want to House Rule it you can, but RAW, it doesn't make any more sound than casting say, Magic Missile or any other spells with a verbal component or the sound of regular melee combat.

Personally, I think it's a bad house rule, since it unfairly targets say, your rogue/sorcerer who takes silent spell to do stealth attacks with booming blade.

Picture it as a self contained boom. Or a static Sonic Boom like Guile throws from Street Fighter. It's concentrated sound causing the damage, not loud cracks of thunder you can hear from several hundred feet away. Else it'd say so, like Thunder Step.
It's magic, don't overthink it.

Unoriginal
2018-01-10, 09:48 AM
It makes a boom, just not a big boom.

Aett_Thorn
2018-01-10, 10:31 AM
It makes an internal boom, but the sound waves cancel each other out before they get out of the space.

Sound wave 1 ----->(Target)<------ Sound wave 2

rbstr
2018-01-10, 11:01 AM
That's not how waves work.

Talamare
2018-01-10, 11:03 AM
Officially, no more sound than any other spell makes

Unofficially? Do what you want, but keep it consistent

Glorthindel
2018-01-11, 08:35 AM
but RAW, it doesn't make any more sound than casting say, Magic Missile or any other spells with a verbal component or the sound of regular melee combat.

Sorry, no. You are welcome to disagree with my assessment, but neither of us are operating with RAW in support - we are both inferring how it should work based on the wording of other spells (you on the absence of a comment made on some other spells, me on interactions with silence). RAW is a very specific phrase, and in this case would require a specific sentence in the spell itself (either stating it does or doesn't create a specific level of sound), or in the magic rules in general (a rule stating how things are in the absence of a specific statement). With neither thing, we can only make assumptions either way.

That said, its possible we are talking past each other here. I am very specifically not saying that it creates a loud bang hearable to several hundred meters (I agree that they have been sure to mention this in spells where this does happen), but that there would be a very clear and audible "clap" heard by anyone in the immediate vincinity (hence, no stealthy silent takedown with this spell). Yes, this would be nothing remarkable in the middle of a pitched noisy battle, but in a silent room would draw immediate attension (try this in your own office, stand up and clap your hands once - that isn't a sound that will carry several hundred meters, but you can be sure nearly everyone in your office will immediately look in your direction).

Mikal
2018-01-11, 08:39 AM
Sorry, no. You are welcome to disagree with my assessment, but neither of us are operating with RAW in support - we are both inferring how it should work based on the wording of other spells (you on the absence of a comment made on some other spells, me on interactions with silence). RAW is a very specific phrase, and in this case would require a specific sentence in the spell itself (either stating it does or doesn't create a specific level of sound), or in the magic rules in general (a rule stating how things are in the absence of a specific statement). With neither thing, we can only make assumptions either way.

Sorry, yes I am. Specific beats general, and we know that generally no extra noise is made. How do we know this? Because Thunder Step provides a specific example of a spell that creates extra noise, as shown in my first post yesterday morning. In other words, spells only have the effects which are mentioned in the spells description, including any auditory effects, such as Thunder Steps "thunder". Booming Blade does not have in its description. Booming Blade thus does not create extra sound/noise beyond that created by performing the verbal components or making the weapon attack.

BobZan
2018-01-11, 08:42 AM
Same as other spells that doesn't state the range.

How do you rule other spells like Fireball, Lightning Bolt, etc?

I'd say it makes noise, audible for anyone that could hear the combat. Not further than that.

nickl_2000
2018-01-11, 08:48 AM
Same as other spells that doesn't state the range.

How do you rule other spells like Fireball, Lightning Bolt, etc?

I'd say it makes noise, audible for anyone that could hear the combat. Not further than that.

As I said in the original post, that is how I ruled it and I think it was the right call from a specific verses general ruling. However, I don't think that a spell that does thunder (sound based) damage can be compared to a spell that does Fire or Electrical damage for amount of noise it would make.

Mikal
2018-01-11, 08:55 AM
As I said in the original post, that is how I ruled it and I think it was the right call from a specific verses general ruling. However, I don't think that a spell that does thunder (sound based) damage can be compared to a spell that does Fire or Electrical damage for amount of noise it would make.

Except that, RAW, it does. If you think differently, then change it in your game as a house rule, though since it's actually a game in progress, I'd discuss it with my players first who expect the spell to work as written, especially if you ruled it to work as written previously.

In a game where you're breaking various laws of physics on a regular basis with spells, thunder damage spells not causing loud noises unless otherwise specified doesn't bother me much.

RazorChain
2018-01-11, 09:04 AM

You do realize that a "normal" battle will be anything but quiet? It's not people sitting in a comfy chair having quiet conversation. The din of battle will probably carry just as far as Thunderwave as 300 feet isn't even the length of a football field (360'), I mean a you can hear a gunshot for miles if the terrain allows it and the sound of an explosion even farther.

Mikal
2018-01-11, 09:10 AM
You do realize that a "normal" battle will be anything but quiet? It's not people sitting in a comfy chair having quiet conversation. The din of battle will probably carry just as far as Thunderwave as 300 feet isn't even the length of a football field (360'), I mean a you can hear a gunshot for miles if the terrain allows it and the sound of an explosion even farther.

So most of your D&D fights include guns and explosives on open fields?
Strange, most people who have battles use arrows, swords, spoken words for spells, mostly in dungeons and other places that have thick stone walls and wooden doors that can muffle sound to a degree.

nickl_2000
2018-01-11, 09:13 AM

You play D&D how you want to play D&D. I will play D&D how I play D&D. My battles may very well consist of people sitting on a comfy chair in the formal living room having a hushed conversation, you don't control me

That being said, yes battle is loud but we are talking about sound so loud and forceful that it is doing damage. I would think that would be at least a little bit louder than the sounds of steel clashing on steel. In the end though, it's a fantasy world where physics really isn't a thing (spell casters can literally reverse gravity, who knows what they heck would happen to a material world is gravity was reversed all of the sudden). So, if the rules say no sound louder than a normal battle outside the body, sure why not.

intregus
2018-01-11, 09:36 AM
I just sent JC a tweet about it. We'll see if he responds

Asmotherion
2018-01-11, 09:37 AM

I would say that wile RAW it makes no particular noice other than the Verbal Component of the Spell, RAI would have it make a significant more amount of noice than say, a firebolt, since Thunder damage kinda works like this. RAF, I like to imagin it as the weapon traveling at a mach 1 speed, thus creating a shockwave to hit the opponent, and if the opponent moves after that, he ends up on the space of the shockwave again. The Sound is heard but hard to locate, like an aircraft moving at mach speed (and moves away from the point of origin harmlessly in a streight line, 120 feet per turn till it hits a wall or something etc).

On the other hand, it could be that the thunder damage is caused by Decibels higher than the average humanoid (even those with extra-good hearing) can hear, causing internal damage, bleeding nose/ears but not be heard whatsoever. The fluffing of abilities is 50% DM domain and 50% your own imagination (percentage can vary depending on how flexible your DM is).

BobZan
2018-01-11, 09:48 AM

What about Fireball and its 20ft radius sphere explosion? How you normally rule that? Sounds like something that would be very loud.

GooeyChewie
2018-01-11, 09:52 AM
Based on my understanding of the description, Booming Blade wraps a cocoon of sound around the target. It’s like a standing sound wave that you’ll only really hear if you pass through it (which is how the target takes damage). I like to imagine I can hear a faint hum from said cocoon, but that only the target hears the thunderous clap, and only upon triggering it.

nickl_2000
2018-01-11, 09:55 AM
What about Fireball and its 20ft radius sphere explosion? How you normally rule that? Sounds like something that would be very loud.

Actually, it has literally never come up. I haven't DMed more than a few one shots and no one has cast fireball in them.

DivisibleByZero
2018-01-11, 10:00 AM
In a game where you're breaking various laws of physics on a regular basis with spells, thunder damage spells not causing loud noises unless otherwise specified doesn't bother me much.

You guys are arguing two different things.
You're arguing whether or not it causes A LOUD noise.
He is arguing whether or not it causes A noise.

As Silence makes one immune to thunder damage, and this spell causes thunder damage, the answer is that it does indeed cause noise, so he is correct.
The text doesn't state anything about hearing it at a distance, so it doesn't cause a loud noise, so you are also correct.
There is nothing here for you guys to argue about.

PhoenixPhyre
2018-01-11, 10:00 AM
My baseline ruling is that spells do what they say, nothing more, nothing less. Booming blade doesn't mention a particularly loud noise (while other spells do), so any noise it makes is either localized or not abnormal for combat (or not more so that the V component).

If, however, that sound really mattered (you're casting it in a quiet area while using the still spell metamagic), I'd probably say it makes a reasonable amount of noise. More a thud (compression wave sound) than a bang. Like a fist on a table or someone heavy jumping. But that's just me.

I've always thought of thunder damage as being damage from bulk pressure waves. Not all of those are audible, although many are.

Mikal
2018-01-11, 10:16 AM
You guys are arguing two different things.
You're arguing whether or not it causes A LOUD noise.
He is arguing whether or not it causes A noise.

As Silence makes one immune to thunder damage, and this spell causes thunder damage, the answer is that it does indeed cause noise, so he is correct.
The text doesn't state anything about hearing it at a distance, so it doesn't cause a loud noise, so you are also correct.
There is nothing here for you guys to argue about.

Well.. yeah. OP asked if it made more noise than a regular battle, so I was talking about that.
I hoped the other person was also doing the same?

Beelzebubba
2018-01-11, 10:21 AM
Since the game doesn't mention any specific distance to hear the effect like Thunderwave or Thunderclap, I'd rule it makes noise, sure, but not anything louder than what you'd have in normal combat. (Which is pretty loud.) Otherwise, if it was meant to be really loud, the rules would specify it.

Since it's Thunder, and it says Boom in the name, I'd assume it does make some noise, more like a sledgehammer on concrete than a thunderclap. And, it's probably a deeper, more resounding 'thud' at higher levels to go with the damage.

The only unambiguously silent spells are Silence, the passive defenses like Mage Armor or Sanctuary, and some of the mind control ones like Dominate Monster. But, as for the rest, they're situational and can be ruled fairly consistently with common sense, and I'm glad D&D didn't go through some tiresome routine like creating a database of DCs to perceive the rest of them in different situations.

Like, Lightning Bolt. That one is probably on the louder end of what you'd hear in normal combat, based on the sizzling, popping noises in some of those 'arcing transformer' videos on YouTube.

RazorChain
2018-01-11, 11:21 AM
You play D&D how you want to play D&D. I will play D&D how I play D&D. My battles may very well consist of people sitting on a comfy chair in the formal living room having a hushed conversation, you don't control me

That being said, yes battle is loud but we are talking about sound so loud and forceful that it is doing damage. I would think that would be at least a little bit louder than the sounds of steel clashing on steel. In the end though, it's a fantasy world where physics really isn't a thing (spell casters can literally reverse gravity, who knows what they heck would happen to a material world is gravity was reversed all of the sudden). So, if the rules say no sound louder than a normal battle outside the body, sure why not.

I agree, I know I shouldn't apply physics to magic but booming blade is literally a sonic shockwave

PhoenixPhyre
2018-01-11, 11:40 AM
I agree, I know I shouldn't apply physics to magic but booming blade is literally a sonic shockwave

To be precise, it causes the same effect (thunder damage) as a sonic shockwave. With magic involved, you can have multiple causes with the same effect.

Just like lightning bolt--real lightning (electrical arcs due to potential differences) doesn't behave that way, but it causes the same type of damage as a naturally-occuring lightning bolt.

Mikal
2018-01-11, 11:43 AM
To be precise, it causes the same effect (thunder damage) as a sonic shockwave. With magic involved, you can have multiple causes with the same effect.

Just like lightning bolt--real lightning (electrical arcs due to potential differences) doesn't behave that way, but it causes the same type of damage as a naturally-occuring lightning bolt.

Yeah. I mean if we're trying to apply real world logic to sound and carrying on, a lightning bolt should make an even louder sound than thunder step since you can hear that for miles away...

PhoenixPhyre
2018-01-11, 11:48 AM
Yeah. I mean if we're trying to apply real world logic to sound and carrying on, a lightning bolt should make an even louder sound than thunder step since you can hear that for miles away...

That's why my baseline is spells tell you what they do, and do that. And nothing else. Anything out of the ordinary would be mentioned. It's probably not silent, but the amount of sound is negligible outside of very specific situations, and for that the DM can rule as they feel appropriate.

Tanngrisnr
2018-01-11, 12:14 PM
I describe it to my players as a "dog whistle" effect.

Only the target of the Booming Blade is able to hear it and can feel the sound amplifying if they attempt to move, making sure that whoever (whatever) is the target of the spell knows what will happen if they move.

Tanarii
2018-01-11, 02:30 PM
Yes it makes noise. Nothing says it's any louder than normal noises of battle, but the only thing we know is it doesn't include the line about being clearly audible at 300ft. Same with Shatter, btw.

I rule them both exactly like any other noise from fighting. Clash of weapon on weapon or shield or armor, battle cries, screams of pain and agony, Fireballs exploding, Lightning Bolts crackling. Etc etc.

If you're interested, the DM Screen has guidelines for distances things are audible at.

Galiard
2022-08-04, 02:02 AM

I know I’m pretty late to this question but I have read a few of the answers. I agree that it does make noise, and some EXTREMELY loud noise, thunder damage is based off of sound after all. But I think what most people are overlooking is sound can be directional. My thought about this spell is it creates a small wall of force around the target made up of concentrated sound waves at extremely high decibels. After 5th level this wall of force is just initially pushed through the target then expands around them.

There is a military device called an LRAD (Long Range Acoustic Device). An LRAD is a “loudspeaker-like device that emits a focused beam of sound. What makes these systems unique is that rather than transmitting sound like a loudspeaker in many directions (similar to the way a lightbulb emits light), LRAD systems transmit sound in a narrow beam (much like a flashlight).” The sound from these devices can only be heard from a few steps away from its focused beam.

In my opinion the “booming energy” that sheathes a target of this spell is like the focused beam of sound that an LRAD makes. Only, due to magic, is surrounding the target instead of being in a straight line or cone. The way I would rule it is that creatures within 5ft of the target (including the target) would hear a low, high bass, hum but anyone further than that would be unaware.

*If anyone posted a reply similar to this I do apologize. I read a few answers but not all of them*

truemane
2022-08-04, 07:36 AM
Metamagic Mod: if a thread is Necro's in the forest, does it make a sound?