PDA

View Full Version : Idea for a blaster fire/radiant-themed sorcerous origin...

samcifer
2018-01-10, 11:22 AM
So I was thinking that a blaster-focused sorcerous origin would be interesting, and here's what I came up with. All helpful advice on balancing the theme are appreciated:

Solar Sorcerous Origin:

Your power comes from the stars. Radiance and fire are more potent for you than most spellcasters. Your magic comes from the sun, moon and stars, and you are a force to be reckoned with on the battlefield

Level 1=

Radiant Flames:

When choosing Cantrips, you may choose the Sacred Flame and Word of Radiance cantrips from the Cleric spell list. They are considered sorcerer spells for you. You also gain the Light Cantrip.
In addition, when choosing spells as you gain levels in this class, you may choose from the following expanded spell list. They are considered sorcerer spells for you:

Level 1: Guiding Bolt, Armor of Agythys
Level 3: Flaming Sphere, Moonbeam
Level 5: Call Lightning, Spirit Guardians
Level 7: Freedom of Movement, Guardian of Faith
Level 9: Flame Strike, Dawn

Celestial Armor: The power of the stars shields you from harm. As long as you are not wearing armor or using a shield, your AC equals 13 + your Dexterity modifier.

Level 6=

Solar Flare: The power of the stars enhances the damage of your spellcasting. Whenever a spell inflicts Fire or Radiant damage, you may add your Charisma modifier to the damage against a single target once per turn.

Level 14=

Stellar Burst: Spend 5 Sorcery Points and choose a number of targets within 30 feet of you equal to your Charisma modifier. Those targets are blinded until the end of your next turn. This ability cannot be used again until after you have finished a short or long rest. Creatures who have no eyes or do not rely on sight are immune to this effect.

Solar Storm: Whenever you cast a spell that inflicts Fire or Radiant damage, add your Charisma modifier to the damage against each target of that spell. (this replaces the Solar Flare Effect.)

Level 18=

Dying Star: When your HP is reduced to 0, choose a number of creatures within 60 feet of you equal to your Charisma modifier. Targeted creatures make a Dexterity save or 8d10 or take fire or radiant damage (your choice) (Half damage on a save). You may not use this ability again until after you have completed a long rest.

samcifer
2018-01-11, 10:34 AM
Did anyone have any thoughts on this idea for a subclass?

LeonBH
2018-01-11, 10:50 AM
The level 1 and 6 abilities are just a copy of Draconic Sorcerer, if they took Fire Dragon. But the expanded spell list is nice and flavorful.

The level 14 ability is useless the way it is written. "Creatures who have no eyes or rely on sight are immune to this effect." Well... then if creatures who rely on sight cannot be blinded, then it's not really something that will work against most creatures.

Solar Storm seems to be written for Scorching Ray specifically, which I feel is just an Agonizing Blast copy.

And the level 18 ability is underwhelming. But then again, most Sorcerer abilities at level 18 are underwhelming, so this is in line with that, at least.

Aett_Thorn
2018-01-11, 10:56 AM
Check out the Phoenix Sorc here for potential ideas: https://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/26_UASorcererUA020617s.pdf

Your level 1 feature gives these Sorcs the armor from Dragon Sorcs, plus a bunch of additional spell choices. They lose the one extra hit points per level, but I'd say that the bonus spell choices more than make up for that. However, your spell selections are odd. Armor of Agathys? Call Lightning? Spirit Guardians and Guardian of Faith? It just doesn't seem like the spells fit with the theme in several places.

Level 6 feature is similar to the Dragon Sorc one, but you get to apply your damage to two different damage types instead of just one.

Level 14 feature doesn't give creatures a saving throw to avoid, but only lasts for one turn. I'd say give it a saving throw, but make it last longer (with a saving throw each turn to end, like similar effects). Drop the Sorc points requirement to like 3 to make up for this.

Level 18 feature I am fine with.

Lombra
2018-01-11, 11:01 AM
I would change the AC recalculation with a fiery aura of some sort, I just don't get why a blasty guy should have a better base AC, plus, there's mage armor anyways.

Check out the phoeinix origin sorcerer, it fits most of what you're trying to achieve and you can tweak it adding some radiant things.

samcifer
2018-01-11, 11:07 AM
Check out the Phoenix Sorc here for potential ideas: https://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/26_UASorcererUA020617s.pdf

Your level 1 feature gives these Sorcs the armor from Dragon Sorcs, plus a bunch of additional spell choices. They lose the one extra hit points per level, but I'd say that the bonus spell choices more than make up for that. However, your spell selections are odd. Armor of Agathys? Call Lightning? Spirit Guardians and Guardian of Faith? It just doesn't seem like the spells fit with the theme in several places.

Level 6 feature is similar to the Dragon Sorc one, but you get to apply your damage to two different damage types instead of just one.

Level 14 feature doesn't give creatures a saving throw to avoid, but only lasts for one turn. I'd say give it a saving throw, but make it last longer (with a saving throw each turn to end, like similar effects). Drop the Sorc points requirement to like 3 to make up for this.

Level 18 feature I am fine with.

Open to suggestions on the spell choices for spells that don't do fire or radiant damage.