PDA

View Full Version : OOTS #483 - The Discussion Thread

The Giant
2007-08-23, 05:52 PM
New comic is up.

Lira
2007-08-23, 05:54 PM
:o

Wow. I wonder what they're going to do now.

I'd also like to add:
YAAAAAAAAY!!! NEW COMIC!! :D

Incendius
Amazing stuff, the Belkar and Vaarsuvius thing really cracked me up.

Is it just me or does Belkar seem a bit less hostile then he would normally be? Or is that just nervous tension.

Raroy
I wonder what plot twist will come that makes this all even better.

Aniu_Blade
2007-08-23, 05:56 PM
Poor Belkar, just like Elan as the realization sinks in. At least Haley can still think on her feet!

Tundar
2007-08-23, 05:56 PM
I feel sorry for Belkar :)

Bitzeralisis
2007-08-23, 05:57 PM
...is Belkar actually starting to miss V's pranks? :smalleek:

The Tygre
2007-08-23, 05:58 PM
At last, I can breathe again! And the sun can shine! Huzzah! Hu-

Ohhh. That doesn't bode well...

P.S. Could somebody tell me where I can get custom avatars? I'm kind of looking for something in either the arch-fiend or Rahkshasa department.

Chocowatte
2007-08-23, 05:58 PM
A look of concern and worry on Belkar? That's scary in itself.

Spiryt
2007-08-23, 06:01 PM
A look of concern and worry on Belkar? That's scary in itself.

Probably it seems to him that somebody was bigger bastard than he....

It's probably shocking :smallwink:

FoE
2007-08-23, 06:02 PM
I don't think everyone's going to make it out of this one.

If anyone wants me, I'll be upstairs. Crying. :smallfrown:

Aerysil
2007-08-23, 06:03 PM
I think Belkar's lust factor towards V is higher than people estimated.

Surfing HalfOrc
2007-08-23, 06:03 PM
YES!!! A TWO FOR ONE SPECIAL!!!!

Order of the Stick AND Erfworld! WOOT!!!

Hobbes13
2007-08-23, 06:05 PM
*sniff*, I didn't know Belkar had that kind of trust for the others, to expect they'd wait for him and Hayley no matter what.

(why's this comic named 'Broken Stick'?)

squidthingy
I would think belkar would react in a more, 'looks like we have time for looting now" instead of being in denial about people he hates, I mean roy and V are hated by him (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0094.html), he wants to kill elan (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0139.html), and hinjo imprisoned him

because the Order of the stick is broken up

Surfing HalfOrc
At last, I can breathe again! And the sun can shine! Huzzah! Hu-

Ohhh. That doesn't bode well...

P.S. Could somebody tell me where I can get custom avatars? I'm kind of looking for something in either the arch-fiend or Rahkshasa department.

Go down to Arts and Crafts, and request one. You might have to ask several times, or you might get lucky on the first try.

Or you can make one of your own, if you have any artistic skill. There are a couple of guides for getting them "right," and shrinking them down without losing resolution.

Setra
2007-08-23, 06:07 PM
*sniff*, I didn't know Belkar had that kind of trust for the others, to expect they'd wait for him and Hayley no matter what.

Yeah, I actually felt sorry for Belkar.

Though even more so for Haley.

It's called that, because right now the Order of the Stick.. is broken, split.

Porthos

Because the Fellowship Order has been Broken. :smallwink:

In other words, it's a The Lord of the Rings reference.

Surfing HalfOrc

At this point, the story is split, with Elan, Vaarsuvius and Durkon going one way, and Haley, Belkar and Roy's body going another. They probably won't be getting back together for a few (dozen) strips.

Both teams may or may not get another member... I'm bettin g on Hinjo joining Elan's team, and Celia joining Haley's team.

Albonor
2007-08-23, 06:08 PM
Vaarsuvius?

Seerow
2007-08-23, 06:08 PM
That's amazing, one second Im looking here, then I decide to check the forums for the heck of it, and next thing I know two new comics are up? Guess I just have the awesome timing.

On topic-Haley owned her emo personality? Wut?

wagomorph
2007-08-23, 06:09 PM
Keep the faith Haley. The cavalry will come!!!!

Vulion
2007-08-23, 06:10 PM
Oh jeez...when I read that title...

Anyway...I hope this situation doesn't last long, then again, I kinda do. Mostly because I want to see what Rich does with this.

...Don't know what to think of Belkar's last line.

Morty
2007-08-23, 06:11 PM
Alright, who else thinks that Two "groups" really won't see each other again?

Jaguira
2007-08-23, 06:13 PM
I'll... Just be in my little emo corner. Crying my eyes out D:

Wonderful artwork on this strip, and the "I know, it pains me too but-" line made me smile. Can't wait to see what happens!

Aasimar
2007-08-23, 06:15 PM
My question is, why doesn't Haley put Roys corpse into one of her bags of holding? A corpse won't suffocate or otherwise become worse for the wear...in fact, if there's limited air, he might decompose slower.

Deathmachine
2007-08-23, 06:15 PM

thats unlikely, because
elan will get his happy end, and that is certainly with haley, in one, haley-shaped piece
so im certain the oots will see each other again

wagomorph
2007-08-23, 06:16 PM
Because then Belkar might be more than the distance from Roy required to set off the Mark of Justice.

North
2007-08-23, 06:17 PM
hurray new comic.

Those pages are going to look very pretty in the book side by side.

nooblade
2007-08-23, 06:17 PM
My question is, why doesn't Haley put Roys corpse into one of her bags of holding? A corpse won't suffocate or otherwise become worse for the wear...in fact, if there's limited air, he might decompose slower.

Belkar decided that they would carry him since he wasn't certain whether the mark of justice would go off or not with Roy in the bag.

Is it just me, or did that sword increase Haley's attractiveness somehow?

Dawnstrider_Moogle
2007-08-23, 06:18 PM
Heartwrenching...

I like that Haley's carrying Roy's sword on her back...now if the wind picks up again she can still do something :p

Also, anyone else seeing transparent doubles of the characters in the big panels?

Porthos
2007-08-23, 06:22 PM

Ever? Ever is a very long time. But I can definietly see them being seperated for a 100 - 150 strips.

However, I would be very surprised if they weren't reunited in time for the Rescue Haley's Father mini-arc. If only because of the rampant speculation concerning the link between Haley's father and Elan's father.

On the other hand, maybe Elan just rolled a "1" on his Sense Dramatic Moment Check, and thus is getting the wrong vibe. :smalltongue:

escroll
2007-08-23, 06:22 PM
new comic FTW. Rich, thanks for the new comic, I look forward to every one.

In re: Belkar's lines; doesn't this seem to you guys like Rich 1)adding some depth to Belkar's heretofore straightforward character, and 2) screwing around with alignment ideas? I mean, he has spent a good deal of the strip, esp. Start of Darkness, showing evil characters repudiate Miko's idea of how an evil character is; e.g. "like a soulless monster like yourself cares one bit for the bonds of family".... anyway, I think that the point is that, despite the fact that Belkar only has a VERY tenuous grasp on the idea that other people should have the right to live, nonetheless in the circumstance of this party, he actually, very very deep down, actually likes and (sort of) trusts them. That doens't mean he wouldn't ever kill them, because, after all it's Belkar, but I think he has formed a pretty strong bond with them. All this, even though he is evil.

And also, as emotionally simplistic as Belkar may be, I don't think that Vaarsuvius' lust/hate theory is entirely accurate.....

LM TR
2007-08-23, 06:26 PM
btw roy is missing the arrow in panel 5

Ganurath
2007-08-23, 06:28 PM
What I say? A pleasant surprise!

It seems Belkar is going through the denial stage, and that things might become even with the Linear Guild from here on out. The looting bit was nice, too. Great comic overall.

Edit: I think Elan's feeling is that He knows he's going to get hell when Haley thinks he abandoned her.

Saithis Bladewing
2007-08-23, 06:29 PM
Poor Belkar. :smallfrown:

isocum
2007-08-23, 06:32 PM
btw roy is missing the arrow in panel 5

...and the rope.

kerravon
2007-08-23, 06:36 PM
I think Belkar's lust factor towards V is higher than people estimated.

I think Vaarsuvius is a woman (albeit an...unadorned...woman) - I think they'd be a cute couple!

Em Blackleaf
new comic FTW. Rich, thanks for the new comic, I look forward to every one.

In re: Belkar's lines; doesn't this seem to you guys like Rich 1)adding some depth to Belkar's heretofore straightforward character, and 2) screwing around with alignment ideas? I mean, he has spent a good deal of the strip, esp. Start of Darkness, showing evil characters repudiate Miko's idea of how an evil character is; e.g. "like a soulless monster like yourself cares one bit for the bonds of family".... anyway, I think that the point is that, despite the fact that Belkar only has a VERY tenuous grasp on the idea that other people should have the right to live, nonetheless in the circumstance of this party, he actually, very very deep down, actually likes and (sort of) trusts them. That doens't mean he wouldn't ever kill them, because, after all it's Belkar, but I think he has formed a pretty strong bond with them. All this, even though he is evil.

And also, as emotionally simplistic as Belkar may be, I don't think that Vaarsuvius' lust/hate theory is entirely accurate.....

Hasn't it been said before that Belkar is just evil, and that's that?
Vaarsuvius was listed under lust for Belkar before, couldn't it be the same now?

SteveDJ
hurray new comic.

Those pages are going to look very pretty in the book side by side.

Yes, I completely agree. This really looks like the end of the story arc -- at least, I cannot image what else there is left to complete it for Book 3.

But then again, such an end would have come with an announcement of such, so I'm not sure anymore :smallconfused:

Burrito
2007-08-23, 06:37 PM
Now when V said he was certain they would see the rest of the group tomorrow, was he just trying to cheer up Elan? Or does it have to do with some sort of prognostication? Or am I reading too deeply into the words?

dogmac
2007-08-23, 06:39 PM
Hehe, if only it were a joke Belkar. Good thinking there Haley.

And yes, she is somehow very attractive with that sword :smallbiggrin:

Lissou
2007-08-23, 06:39 PM
2 pages, and yes, they're going to look good together in the book (I'm guessing it was calculated so they're next to each other).
So, the end of the book is, what, next strip or something? Can't be a lot further.
I really wonder how Belkar and Haley are going to meet the others. At least, they know which gate to go to, so they won't have to wonder about that. I also wonder if they're going to find someone else to relive Roy. He's been dead a long time and I miss him.

Good work, Rich, we'll be waiting for what's coming next, but take the time you need.

LM TR
2007-08-23, 06:43 PM
good comic, belkarrific
all the strips are real horrorshow since I watch the comic "live", and the uncertaincy what will happen next is ever growing
now finally some people will get to understand Belkar is not as one-dimensional as they (and V) previously assumed
I donīt think any additional party member will snuff it in 2007, no matter how far the number gets

(sorry, Iīm chaotic :smallwink: )

Pyro
2007-08-23, 06:44 PM
I would say that talisman would be involved somehow, but then it wouldn't be dramatic. I think Haley and Belkar are going to be alone for a looooong time. Sadness...

Deepblue706
2007-08-23, 06:44 PM
Now when V said he was certain they would see the rest of the group tomorrow, was he just trying to cheer up Elan? Or does it have to do with some sort of prognostication? Or am I reading too deeply into the words?

V might presume through rest and preparing the right spells, that the other group members could be found.

Burrito
2007-08-23, 06:45 PM
Yeah, what is up with the crotch arrow? gone in #5, but back again in #6 and #7. Maybe Belkar just took it out to make going up the stairs easier, then stuck it back once they were out in the open. Because, seriously, if you ever have the chance to jab some groinage with a arrow, you do it.

Username
2007-08-23, 06:45 PM
I'm a bit surprised that we still have yet to see how Roy is doing in the afterlife. I'm betting on an epic argument with his father if/when it happens.

Zargon
2007-08-23, 06:46 PM
Separation is felt in this comic.
I suspect that Belkar realized that something he's really part of something is broken, no matter if he likes them or not. (e.g. the little battle between V is amusement). I won't get into the alignment about the CE, just that it Loki type of evil (pranks & don't care about morals) rather than evil of demons (or Z
Funny that Belkar & Haley are thinking alike aka looting!
Outside of Belkar's concern if the mark of justice would go off, I suspect that Haley's bag holding is still full of treasure in any case.

Recursive
2007-08-23, 06:47 PM
I really wonder how Belkar and Haley are going to meet the others. At least, they know which gate to go to, so they won't have to wonder about that.
V and Durkon have already mentioned that they can both prepare Sending spells tomorrow, to get in touch with Haley and Belkar. (And the spell does allow the recipient to reply to the message, so the two groups will be able to share plans back and forth. I looked it up (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/sending.htm) to make sure.)

Elfanatic
2007-08-23, 06:52 PM
Love the face Belkar gives. Also shows that he does like V a little.

Edit: Belkar would be pissed if he heard V, Durkon and Elan :smallbiggrin:

Hobbes13
2007-08-23, 06:53 PM
Doh. That was just too obvious for me I guess. Thanks though!

Bunyip
2007-08-23, 06:54 PM
I have a couple of thoughts:

Happy goodism - a great new strip. Thanks Giant.

The arc probably will end about strip 500. Thereis still time for a dramatic reuion. Rich would have told us if it were the arc end. LOTR went 2 books past the breaking of the fellowship.

Belkar is a narrcissist. He expects others to be there when he needs them. Belkar's world firmly centres on Belkar.

O.T.R
2007-08-23, 06:56 PM
Forget 'like', Belkar's just more dependant on the others than he'd like to admit. Sad really, since V, Durkon and Elan aren't concerned about his survival at all. (read first page carefully)

TroyXavier
2007-08-23, 07:04 PM
The one time Belkar really needs V and she's long gone.

Chronos
2007-08-23, 07:05 PM
Now when V said he was certain they would see the rest of the group tomorrow, was he just trying to cheer up Elan? Or does it have to do with some sort of prognostication? Or am I reading too deeply into the words?Clerics do have a spell (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/divination.htm) which can see a short time into the future, but wizards do not. And even if Vaarsuvius did have such a spell, e's out of spells at the moment. So yes, that was just trying to cheer up Elan, the same way any of us non-magical types might.

As for the title, I think that "broken arrow" might also be a military term for a situation where teammates are left behind. But with all the more I know about military matters, don't quote me on that.

Tq3eufiy
2007-08-23, 07:07 PM
Sooo sad, Belkar made me wanna cry:smallfrown: and I hate that the whole party is in split, I liked when they were all hanging together making fun of Roy's boobies............I miss the boobies:smallfrown: .

Rethorn
2007-08-23, 07:09 PM

Because the Order is, effectively, broken.

And wow. Touching comic, Giant. I didn't know Belkar had feelings.

5tephen
2007-08-23, 07:12 PM
WOAH!

Character Development for Belkar!?

That's unusual. Oh well, I'm sure he won't ever change that much.

Arameus
2007-08-23, 07:13 PM
Belkar is a narrcissist. He expects others to be there when he needs them. Belkar's world firmly centres on Belkar.

WHAT?!:smalleek: :smalltongue:

After reading this, I thought: Hey, they're out of the city! No more blue! Finally! Except for the blue boat. And the blue ocean. And the blue sky.

:smallsigh: I miss Roy's blackness. Brownness. Whatever.

Anthea
2007-08-23, 07:14 PM
Character development for Belkar? Well, with those chaotic types, you never know what feature they will spend their points on at the next level up. ;)

And I miss the appearance of Celia. Roy still has the talisman to call her. Maybe Haley could use that to get some assistance?

mockingbyrd7
2007-08-23, 07:14 PM
This strip is going to do VERY well in the Stick Awards, when they finally get here. Two AWESOME, beautiful splash pages, Belkar getting a bit of depth to his character. I think this is the first time Belkar has ever stolen a strip WITHOUT A PUNCHLINE.

mockingbyrd7
2007-08-23, 07:17 PM
WHAT?!:smalleek: :smalltongue:

After reading this, I thought: Hey, they're out of the city! No more blue! Finally! Except for the blue boat. And the blue ocean. And the blue sky.

:smallsigh: I miss Roy's blackness. Brownness. Whatever.

Ah, but Roy's ARMOR is blue! Aha!

mockingbyrd7
2007-08-23, 07:19 PM
Forget 'like', Belkar's just more dependant on the others than he'd like to admit. Sad really, since V, Durkon and Elan aren't concerned about his survival at all. (read first page carefully)

Wow, you're right. Who thought that the 1-dimensional kill-kill punchline comedy guy could be tragic?

slightlyloony
2007-08-23, 07:21 PM
Speaking of looting, it looks like someone took the money Elan left for the lute back in Comic 471.

Elandegenerate
2007-08-23, 07:24 PM
well, not sure about military myself, but i belive that in We where heros, (with Mel Gibson) broken arrow, was in referance that the front line was broken and that precision bombing via radio transmission was to commence in order for allies to reestablisha front....or SOMETHING like that, i just remember the event, not its intent

and i think some of you are really underestimating belkar. I think he was supprised because he could always count on V (everyone could, V is a party in and of herself). After all, V had no idea belkar would ever have reason to kiss him, so why would V be right about his theory, gods know there arent that many chaotic evil halfings witha wisdom of a rock for V to study.

After all, if you think about it, all chaotic evil beings do not have the same personality and fate, if you think more about it, even if he was effected by roy and the lot, Belkar HAS still gone this long without killing any of the stick (what did he do to get back at V, get her stung a little), He has saved their lives, stood his ground against Miko without a way to defend himself, and a cornicopia of other things to help the stick immenly. I mean, we've seen him fight, If he really wanted someone dead, they would be. (pray that he never finds his way into the same plane that windstriker is)

just one final note on the "dont underestimate belkar" thing. who has he said he actually admired? Shojo. Now Shojo might not have been the most noble man, but he was a wise and GOOD man who loved and protected his people in the best way he could. Yes, belkar admired him for the fact that he was a clever bastard and outwitted Roy, but nonethe less, besided members of the Stick, Shojo has been the only one Belkar really admired

David Argall
2007-08-23, 07:25 PM
Belkar is not showing any addition dimension here. He is simply in what amounts to Hell for him, surrounded by all these nice killable targets, and he doesn't dare hurt a one of them for fear of that curse. He wants OUT of that !@#$ city, and is just hanging onto a desperate hope/wish that there is a way out.

Now as to the future ...
The odds of the party being split for some time have seriously gone up here, but the situation still calls for them to get back together, say about #500.

We still need Roy raised.
The party works best together.
The party is entirely aimed at the next Gate.
Etc...
So expect some problems, but they will reunite soon.

Elandegenerate
2007-08-23, 07:30 PM
to bad everything belkar doesnt say in those last few strips says otherwise

oh, and i know someone already mentioned this but

three cheers for haley pimp slapping her self loathing

Hip hip , Hurray!

Ivellios
2007-08-23, 07:34 PM
Why doesn't V just send some sort of message to them by way of magic? It seems like it would be his first priority.

Doompuppy
2007-08-23, 07:40 PM
Why doesn't V just send some sort of message to them by way of magic? It seems like it would be his first priority.

Because V is out of spells for the day and hasn't had the chance to rest yet.

SteveMB
2007-08-23, 07:44 PM
I love the way Haley just gave her self-loathing an "oh boop off!" stare and it vanished. :smallsmile:

silvadel
2007-08-23, 07:51 PM
Yep -- The belks is showing some weakness here....

The groups are kind of ..... I mean a bard+, a evoker, and a cleric... Magic heavy, but as high a level as they are, the bard and cleric can fight melee ok with spells up... It isnt like the old AD&D where a high level warrior got 4 hits in a round and a high level anyone else got only 1. Actually these days "magic heavy" isnt that bad an idea once your levels gain 2 digits.

Now the other group -- Fighter(dead with no easy way to raise), Ranger(with no spells), Rogue has a lot more trouble... No healing or other spells whatsoever. Quite the deadwood group actually.

Recursive
2007-08-23, 07:55 PM
I love the way Haley just gave her self-loathing an "oh boop off!" stare and it vanished. :smallsmile:

One nice side effect of Roy's death is that it's forcing Haley to develop a responsible side, and to grow very rapidly to fill Roy's shoes. She's the leader now, and there's no time to indulge in self-loathing.

Actually, on reflection, she's growing even more rapidly than I realized. Roy's only been dead for a few hours, and her reality check from O-Chul -- perhaps the thing that started her thinking in more serious terms -- was just last night.

:thog: Leadership change Haley quickly.

dogmac
2007-08-23, 08:03 PM
Speaking of looting, it looks like someone took the money Elan left for the lute back in Comic 471.

Nice pickup!!!

I find it a bit funny that Elan was the one to break that window.

David Argall
2007-08-23, 08:04 PM
Now that I think of it...
Haley and Belkar are stuck in town to rescue O'Chul. Exact details a pure guess, but...

Their hiding place turns out to be right where lich and red set up headquarters. MitD comes into town to report and brings along popcycle paladin. There is a little fuss over him, during which Haley sneaks out and grabs him. Lich and MitD, with their well-known memory problems, get distracted and forget all about him.

There will be other problems, but H&B make it to the ship with the bodies.

SteveDJ
2007-08-23, 08:09 PM
The arc probably will end about strip 500. Thereis still time for a dramatic reuion. Rich would have told us if it were the arc end. LOTR went 2 books past the breaking of the fellowship.

Yes, but how far did the first LOTR book go, following the breaking of the fellowship, before that particular book ended? Not far at all.

I really expected that the arc would end with a panorama-type scene showing the boat sailing away from the city as Haley and Belkar looked on. Well, we got the scene - though it wasn't the final frame as I had thought it would be. There just cannot be much more to this arc (certainly not 17 more strips worth).

Recursive
2007-08-23, 08:13 PM
Now the other group -- Fighter(dead with no easy way to raise), Ranger(with no spells), Rogue has a lot more trouble... No healing or other spells whatsoever. Quite the deadwood group actually.
If they manage to summon Celia, they'll be better off. Flight is always nice, and she's got some kind of arcane mojo that she zapped Thog with. Probably spell-like abilities rather than actual caster levels...although given her propensity to change careers every few months, who knows?

Tach13
2007-08-23, 08:25 PM
Great, great strip. Call back to the "looting", beating the self loathing, Belkar showing emotion other than lust or hate. And the artwork of the opposite Point of Views. Loved it, even if it does make me nervous for Haley, Belkar, and Roy.

JasonDoomsblade
2007-08-23, 08:29 PM

How the HELL did you notice that?

shylocxs
2007-08-23, 08:29 PM
I was wondering the same thing on Bags of Holding and Roy's body. Jeeezzz... it's got to be getting stinky now!

But great art. Great dualism to the plot line.

And great expectations on the part of Belkar!

Bunny
2007-08-23, 08:37 PM
Great strip, Giant! Thanks!

The last Belkar panels remind me of the "in your face Elijah Wood" strip:
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0042.html

I think "showing off" is one reason why Belkar misses V right now.

Bunny

yoshi927
2007-08-23, 08:38 PM
Great. Title.

Great part with Belkar.

Seriously, this one was on par with the Fortuna Saga. (If anyone read the vs. ... thread, that's my favorite webcomic)

Nakun
2007-08-23, 08:41 PM
You know, I actually feel sorry for Belkar...

Kome
2007-08-23, 08:44 PM
I don't think Belkar is concerned about V and the others not being there as much as he's about to realize that he's trapped in a recently conquered city. Since the MoJ probably still works (the city is still a city, even a conquered, semi-ruined city) he's not going to be able to do any more killing for a while and is either going to be forced to watch Haley do all the killing while he guards Roy's corpse, or just flee from danger. I doubt either are pleasent scenarios for Belkar, especially since regardless they'll have to be sneaking around and hiding, and being subtle is not Belkar's strong suit. How long until he sets something on fire like he did in the Bandit Camp?

Impikmin
2007-08-23, 08:46 PM
Wow. Awesome comic. The mini splashs made it really set in. Not too much new info, but here's a great example of Haley showing off her new strength as a person and leader. Her old self is defeated. Now it looks like that's IT. We have a new current goal. Reclusion, regrouping, resurrection. (hide from hobbos, regroup, and resurrect Roy) And hey, this could turn out to be cool. Split up party means more screen time for individual characters. I can't wait to see more Hinjo, Daigo and that other one, Elan, and Durkon personally.

kpenguin
2007-08-23, 08:57 PM

Indeed. Her self-confidence has gone up considerably. With old emo Haley, I would have expected her to break down or something at the thought of Elan leaving her. She's grown.

Dervag
2007-08-23, 08:59 PM
I wonder... would Haley even know about Celia's talisman?

I was wondering the same thing on Bags of Holding and Roy's body. Jeeezzz... it's got to be getting stinky now!It's only been a few hours; half a day at most.

Surfing HalfOrc
2007-08-23, 09:03 PM
Clerics do have a spell (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/divination.htm) which can see a short time into the future, but wizards do not. And even if Vaarsuvius did have such a spell, e's out of spells at the moment. So yes, that was just trying to cheer up Elan, the same way any of us non-magical types might.

As for the title, I think that "broken arrow" might also be a military term for a situation where teammates are left behind. But with all the more I know about military matters, don't quote me on that.

Actually, a "Broken Arrow" is a lost or stolen nuclear weapon. Something the military takes GREAT PAINS to avoid! :smallbiggrin:

However, the military also has a long tradition of not leaving people behind, or going to great efforts to go find and retrieve someone captured. It's tied to the Warrior's Code.

Of course, technically the OotS is a mercenary unit, and may or may not follow such a code.

Tobrian
2007-08-23, 09:09 PM
Wow, I was in the process of going to bed and just wanted to check the site one last time before going offline... and there is it! Nice shiny new comic strip! Huzzah! :smallsmile:

Brilliant juxtaposition of the two largest panels!

Things are looking darker by the minute. Let's hope Haley remembers the "booty talisman". But I wonder if Celia can carry the weight of 2 and 1/2 people, over water? :smallfrown:

I don't think Belkar is concerned about V and the others not being there as much as he's about to realize that he's trapped in a recently conquered city. (snip)

What Kome said.

Up to now, Belkar always thought of masses of enemies as targets/victims, and victims equalled "fun". Now suddenly, seeing the ship sailed, it starts to sink in that he and Haley are all alone and in deep sh*t. That'S why he hoped against hope that this is all an elaborate prank by some invisible V, perpetrated to see Belkar sweat. Shows how little Belkar knows Varsuuvius. Playing psychological pranks is completely against V's character... stuff like Exploding Runes yes, but not sitting there invisible and laughing your head off. Of course that's exactly the kind of prank B would play on someone if he had the chance or powers to do it.

Let's hope Roy's mortal remains won't attract ghouls. Ghouls have a keen sense of smell. :smalleek:

Let's hope the goblinoid army leaves soon. Xykon wants to head towards the other gates, and he's force Redcloak and the army to come along. If Haley and Belkar can hide until they're gone, the Azure City fleet will likely return and the nobles will try to take back the city. Redcloak as a dark cleric likely prays at sundown, and clerics dont need to get a full "night" of sleep, so if Redcloak and his fellow goblinoid clerics rest for the rest of the day, Xykon might break camp and leave the city the coming night. (I'm surprised they didnt attack at night alltogether, since goblinoids and undead usually prefer darkness. But they were in hot pursuit of Miko, to gain an element of surprise, so... Xykon probably gives a damn, and goblinoids and ghouls can fight by day (they dont suffer from nasty Light Sensitivity/Blindness like drow and similar Underdark races).

So right now, the biggest threat to Haley and Belkar are looters poking their noses everywhere.

The Monster in the Shadow has in all likelihood already forgotten all about them, or even if it complains how some mean people stole one of his teaparty guests, neither Xykon nor Redcloak will listen to its babble. They usually tune it out.

cavalier973
2007-08-23, 09:20 PM
I think Vaarsuvius is a woman (albeit an...unadorned...woman) - I think they'd be a cute couple!

I believe that V is already married

Roderick_BR
2007-08-23, 09:22 PM
Glad to see you are (apparently) better, Rich.

Now, about today's comic: This is one of those "Oh, sh..." moments...

And worse! Two big panels! Is it the end of this arc? :smalleek:

Elderac
2007-08-23, 09:27 PM
Great strip! Great title.

I bet Belkar wishes he had put some points into tracking now.

Porthos
2007-08-23, 09:27 PM
Now as to the future .......We still need Roy raised....

Actually, even if the party is split for a decent length of time, Roy could still be raised. Consider the following scenario:

While Haley and Belkar (and possibly Celia) are hiding out in Azure City, they just happen to run across a Cleric hiding from the Hobgoblins. They find out that he is just barely able to cast Raise Dead, but he doesn't feel he is strong enough to escape Azure City on his own. So Haley and Unnamed Cleric strike a deal. In return for helping Unnamed Cleric escape, the Cleric will agree to Raise Roy on the spot (after all, they'll need the all the muscle that they can get to escape).

So in one party you would have: Hinjo, Lien, Durkon, Vaarsuvius and Elan
And in the other party you would have: Belkar, Haley, Celia, Roy, and Unnamed Cleric.

Which has a nice amount of symmetry going for it (ignoring the Minor NPCs in the Elan camp). And before anyone starts screaming Deus ex Machina over Haley just happening to find a Cleric who can cast Raise Dead, I'll point out that "Finding Someone Who Desperately Needs Help And, Whadda Ya Know, He Has Something You Desperately Need" is a time-honored tradition in all DnD games. Especially when the party is split. :smallamused:

Is this going to happen? Who knows. But it would certainly resolve the "one group as all of the casters in it and the other group has all of the fighters in it" problem that people have been pointing out.

I wonder... would Haley even know about Celia's talisman?

Yes she does. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0320.html) In fact, you can see she is directly in the panel when the critical information is given to Roy.

Hmmmmmm. Looks like Rich has been setting this up for a while now. :smallwink:

Morchaint
2007-08-23, 09:33 PM
great comic. well now I wonder what haley and stiff... dead roy, and belkar will do next.

Train2nowhere
2007-08-23, 09:50 PM
Good thing that Haley seems to believe(know?) that they weren't abandoning them.

Bor the Barbarian Monk
2007-08-23, 10:11 PM
This comic caused an ache in my heart. It probably wasn't Rich's intent, but that parting view of Azure City reminded me very much of New York. I was on Long Island at the time, but all the images off Manhattan's shores, with smoke rising from the city...

Perhaps that's Elan's pain. :smallfrown:

Mugen Nightgale
2007-08-23, 10:30 PM
holy ****! a lot of impacting speechs.

Elandegenerate
2007-08-23, 10:41 PM
yea, but dont you think belkar is one to see being stuck in a goblin city without a way to kill a challenge. He was already ready to take em all on "I'll strangle em with their own intestines, maybe it will count as suicide"

He has already found 2 ways to get past the mark of justice, and i think he is confident enough in his own murderous abilities to not fret over sucha trivial matter as being alone witha bunch of victims.

fruityjanitor
2007-08-23, 10:43 PM
Yes, I completely agree. This really looks like the end of the story arc -- at least, I cannot image what else there is left to complete it for Book 3.

But then again, such an end would have come with an announcement of such, so I'm not sure anymore :smallconfused:

Yeah, I was thinking it was the end of the arc too because of the two huge panels and the fact that it looks like a lot of strips are going to pass before the party is reuinted (which is possibly what Elan's bad feeling was about). Unless something like the not-a-booty talisman getting broken and Celia (and perhaps some of her winged friends) fly Haley, Belkar, and Roy's body over to the ship happened...

Does this mean Rich is going to take a couple week break? Now that you mention it, it seems like he would've told us when he posted it if it was in fact the final comic he planned on doing before taking a little break...

Miraqariftsky
2007-08-23, 11:12 PM
Incredible! The doubts and the convictions, the bluffs and the beliefs, ah! Looks like a double splash page, too...

innk
2007-08-23, 11:16 PM
And i should say, thats the best comic of the week.

Randalor
2007-08-23, 11:20 PM
Wow... just.... wow...

That... I hate to say it, but that was the saddest thing I think I've ever seen. Not only the shot of the destruction of the city and the mass of hobgoblins, but Haley's self-depression kicking in in high gear again, or the look on Belkar's face at the end as he realizes that, for once, he's royally screwed, in hostile territory, and that it ISN'T a prank.

Korias
2007-08-23, 11:23 PM
This is the point in which they should break the talisman.

But this comic is one big "Oh Shi-" moment. You suddenly realise that its going to take a while before the party can get back together. And all those Hobs... Even BELKAR cant kill all of those.

DrivinAllNight
2007-08-23, 11:25 PM
And i should say, thats the best comic of the week.

that sounds like me telling my only son he is my favorite one.

And I doubt this is the end of the arc, since it wasn't mentioned by Mr B.
One good question for Haley, If it is so easy to raise Roy, why not just shove both Roy and Belkar into the Bag of Holding, would work for about 10 minutes, maybe more if Belkar could hold his breath for awhile, this way Haley could escape easier, and if Belkar des, o'well, its an easy thing to raise him as well, just need the Diamonds and a spell or two??

innk
2007-08-23, 11:38 PM

Awesome to see that you got the point ;]

the_tick_rules
2007-08-23, 11:43 PM
seems haley has her emo side in check, polar opposite of the current erfworld.

David Argall
2007-08-24, 12:42 AM
Actually, even if the party is split for a decent length of time, Roy could still be raised. Consider the following scenario:

While Haley and Belkar (and possibly Celia) are hiding out in Azure City, they just happen to run across a Cleric ...just barely able to cast Raise Dead, .. In return for helping Unnamed Cleric escape, the Cleric will agree to Raise Roy on the spot

Now note for starter this is a just happens. They are not good things to have happen in a story. So what is the benefit of this? Because splitting the party sounds "neat"? How does the story actually benefit from this split?

In LOTR, each part of the split party has a role to play. Deliver the ring, raise troops, stop the enemy... There is solid story reason for the party being in different areas.
I suggested a different idea that would justify a short separation. H&B are able to rescue O'Chul while still in the city. But that is a short separation. In a day or two, they would be on the ship with the rest of the party.

So what is the story benefit of a long separation? The entire party is headed to the same next gate. How are they better off in 2 places?

silvadel
2007-08-24, 12:59 AM
Naw -- you wont see them find a cleric until they start bumping into the limit on days for raise dead... 14 days later you get to meet a level 13 cleric -- oops not high enough -- but you can reach the head of my order who is 17th level but that is a 4 days journey... If you can make it in 3 though....

John Campbell
2007-08-24, 01:00 AM
Is it just me, or did that sword increase Haley's attractiveness somehow?

Women with swords are hotter. Well known fact.

Phalcon
2007-08-24, 01:03 AM
Why does V say that he believes "Sir Greenhilt and Mistress Starshine will return fully functional"? Why no mention of Belkar? and how is Haley supposed to revive Roy without Durkon?

SPoD
2007-08-24, 01:05 AM
So what is the story benefit of a long separation? The entire party is headed to the same next gate. How are they better off in 2 places?

There is no benefit; it's an obstacle that must be overcome. When split up into two groups, either team is incapable of accomplishing the goal they need to accomplish (defeating Xykon & pals), so they need to reunite. Characters overcoming obstacles is largely the point of most stories.

The "benefit" is to us, the readers, because we get to see how the characters we (presumably) care about deal with this new obstacle. By separating the group, we get to see how (for example) Elan will deal without his Big Brother OR his girlfriend, or whether Haley can keep Belkar's bloodlust in check. Perhaps some characters will grow or change as a result of the situation, perhaps not. Either way, the story will be enjoyable for its own merits.

Why does V say that he believes "Sir Greenhilt and Mistress Starshine will return fully functional"? Why no mention of Belkar?

Because V knows that Elan is not standing at the ramparts pining for Belkar; in fact, he just got calmed down from believing that Belkar was a threat to the woman he loves.

and how is Haley supposed to revive Roy without Durkon?

She's not. V expects that they will be reunited tomorrow, after which Durkon will immediately cast Raise Dead.

Baalzebub
2007-08-24, 01:09 AM
Good strip. Yeah, that's it...

lol arrow in the balls.:smallwink:

Aquillion
2007-08-24, 01:11 AM
I would think belkar would react in a more, 'looks like we have time for looting now" instead of being in denial about people he hates, I mean roy and V are hated by him (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0094.html), he wants to kill elan (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0139.html), and hinjo imprisoned himBelkar is evil and shortsighted, but there is one area where he has some capacity to see ahead. He knows perfectly well (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0075.html) that without Durkon his killing capacity is drastically diminished.

Phalcon
2007-08-24, 01:12 AM
She's not. V expects that they will be reunited tomorrow, after which Durkon will immediately cast Raise Dead.

But V says that he believes Roy will return fully functional by tomorrow. Is he just trying to get Elan to calm down?

SPoD
2007-08-24, 01:15 AM
But V says that he believes Roy will return fully functional by tomorrow. Is he just trying to get Elan to calm down?

Yes, that's exactly what V is doing. Trying to reassure him that Roy and Haley will be back with them tomorrow, and that Roy will be back among the living shortly thereafter.

Porthos
2007-08-24, 01:27 AM
There is no benefit; it's an obstacle that must be overcome. When split up into two groups, either team is incapable of accomplishing the goal they need to accomplish (defeating Xykon & pals), so they need to reunite. Characters overcoming obstacles is largely the point of most stories.

The "benefit" is to us, the readers, because we get to see how the characters we (presumably) care about deal with this new obstacle. By separating the group, we get to see how (for example) Elan will deal without his Big Brother OR his girlfriend, or whether Haley can keep Belkar's bloodlust in check. Perhaps some characters will grow or change as a result of the situation, perhaps not. Either way, the story will be enjoyable for its own merits.

I agree entirely. :smallsmile: In many ways, it could be viewed as a Road Movie (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Road_movie) where the journey (in this case the journey to get back together) is the point of doing things.

Or, to put it another way, not everything in a comic needs to have a Big Important Plot Reason To Happen. :smallsmile:

kerravon
2007-08-24, 01:29 AM

One good question for Haley, If it is so easy to raise Roy, why not just shove both Roy and Belkar into the Bag of Holding, would work for about 10 minutes, maybe more if Belkar could hold his breath for awhile, this way Haley could escape easier, and if Belkar des, o'well, its an easy thing to raise him as well, just need the Diamonds and a spell or two??

Hey, Haley could probably LOOT a jewelry store!!! Diamonds all 'round!

silvadel
2007-08-24, 01:33 AM
[dogbert] They are just rocks that the diamond industry decided to make seem valuable in a marketing ploy...

[jeweler] ok -- if you keep quiet you can have this sack of diamonds.

secret gets out

[somewhere some cleric] rats -- HOW many diamonds do I need now to ressurect someone?

Eldhrin
2007-08-24, 01:37 AM
Okay, I think:

1) This is not the end of the arc, but it's pretty close to it. This particular strip can't be, because it ends more abruptly than the previous two books, one of which ended with a fourth-wall-breaking mention of the shot for the trade paperback, and the other of which ended with a big montage sequence setting up some ominous omens. I think we'll be able to spot the end of the third book somehow, and as I mentioned just now I don't think it's all that far off. I believe Rich did say at one point that the end of the Azure City stuff would finish off book three.

2) I think V was trying to reassure Elan. S/he has no special knowledge. We've seen before that V does care about Elan's feelings, even if s/he did react badly to Elan wanting to multiclass to wizard. And they were getting on very well when V was teaching Elan how to use his illusions more effectively to defend the ship. However, V may be confident in Haley's abilities and Belkar's instinct for self-preservation. V didn't mention Belkar for the simple reason that Elan doesn't like him, and it would probably upset him even more to remind him of Belkar's membership of the Order at the moment.

3) Speaking of Belkar's instinct for self-preservation, I think that's what's given us this rare moment of vulnerability. He's in an occupied city swarming with enemy hobgoblins, it's near the end of the day and he's got to stay within one mile of the corpse of his party's leader. Not exactly good survival odds, even with Haley helping to carry the body.

4) I don't think they're going to be reunited with the rest of the Order before the end of the book. We may see them travelling towards the next gate separately. It's a good chance to see some character development from Haley and Elan (how do they cope with being apart now that they've declared their love for each other? How does Elan cope without Roy? How does Haley cope with Belkar and a corpse forming the remainder of her party? I hope she can get him raised...). It's also a good chance to let us see lots of things going on at once. Split parties travelling toward the same goal are common enough in literature, and they're often split in circumstances such as this.

I recently read Raymond E. Feist's Prince of the Blood, which splits up the twin Princes Borric and Erland for a fairly large chunk of the book, both heading for the same goal but quite differently (Borric's been captured by slavers, and Erland thinks Borric's been killed and continues to travel in state with a damp handkerchief at the ready). That worked superbly, and I'm sure Rich can pull off the same thing.

5) Wonderful artwork today. I love those back view over-the-shoulder shots that mirror that of the other half of the Order. And people are right, Haley with a sword is hotter than usual.

David Argall
2007-08-24, 01:39 AM

This makes sense, in the short run, the next dozen comics or so. Beyond that, you are just missing chances for explosive runes, for the lovers to get together, for Roy to be annoyed ... You are losing very definite good points of the comic for very dubious possible points.

A Gray Phantom
2007-08-24, 02:51 AM
Some Guy: Why is it called "Broken Stick?"

I thought it had more to do with the arrow in Roy's crotch.

banjo1985
2007-08-24, 03:33 AM
Hehe I love seeing Belkar uncomfortable!

Good strip, well worth the wait!

Pepz
2007-08-24, 03:43 AM
I agree with this strip being the best one this week :P

I really like where this is going....although I wish it would move with a little faster pace :)
Well you can't hurry love good comics :) so we'll have to wait and see :)

Wolfman42666
2007-08-24, 03:43 AM
To Mr. Rich Burlew: this has probably been said by now (but I don't care) having those last lines said in that particular way, by Belkar was sheer undiluted genius, and it keeps people guessing as BM would say to Theif in the most admiring tones (and the best and nicest possible way) "you magnificent", no I can't bring myself to finish that sentance to you.

(:smalleek:I'm afraid I'm losing all sense of person defiance, ahhhhhh)

Idless
2007-08-24, 04:46 AM
ah... nice with a comic!

I liked it alot... a new side of Belkar.

Hadanyone asked me, I would never ever want to see a new side of Belkar, but now that I did it was quite cool!

GONGRATS ON THE GOLD ENNIE FOR NCftPB

...Idless

Dant
2007-08-24, 06:23 AM
Hehe, perfectly good looting going on. Am I the only one who finds that line hilarious? You know, 'cause it's a pun. Looting. Elan stole a Lute.

Was perfectly inserted. Funniest line in the whole bit.

Fabio_MP
2007-08-24, 06:43 AM
New comic is up.

hahahaha poor belkar... and V said things that is best to don't....

for the title

brocken stick: is it Elan or the Order to be broken?

Hannes
2007-08-24, 07:42 AM
Well... They will surely be back by the same time next day because

V will have a few teleport scrolls and will prepare teleport for the next day. Since Azure City is a familiar place to them, it's easy to reach it.

EDIT: That's what I think, at least.

Fighteer
2007-08-24, 08:37 AM
Well... They will surely be back by the same time next day because

V will have a few teleport scrolls and will prepare teleport for the next day. Since Azure City is a familiar place to them, it's easy to reach it.

EDIT: That's what I think, at least.
V can't cast Teleport (it's a Conjuration spell), (s)he's out of scrolls, (s)he has no way to get more, and there are no other high level wizards left on the goodguys' side (unless you count the nobles, who are an unknown quantity).

In response to an earlier post: A cleric of 13th level or higher would have access to resurrection, which has a greatly increased time limit, not to mention that it can bring Roy back in perfect condition from anything less than a destruction or disintegrate effect. In fact, Durkon should be able to cast it now.

Hannes
2007-08-24, 08:59 AM
Sorry I don't nolife the comic, searching for every little bit and remember everything.

TheKnifeofTrust
2007-08-24, 09:03 AM
Oh man, poor :belkar::smalleek:. He was really taken aback. I'm surprised Haley took that much better than him.

shaddy_24
2007-08-24, 09:10 AM
Great comic Giant. Belkar is in a creeped out and helpless state, which is unusual for him. If they are split for too long, I could see Belkar losing it before Haley. She seems much calmer and more focused.

HUMVEE Driver
2007-08-24, 09:20 AM
Don't know if anyone mentioned this yet, but if you look at the city from Elan's POV, there is a single bright pixel that is out of place in all that blue... could almost be Haley... its in the right spot too, triganomically speaking.

Makes me feel even more sad for Elan.

:smallfrown:

Megalomaniac2
2007-08-24, 09:26 AM
I absolutely loved Haley mentally bitchslapping her Self-Doubt. We've all had enough of that lady!

CGM3
2007-08-24, 10:31 AM
Actually, a "Broken Arrow" is a lost or stolen nuclear weapon. Something the military takes GREAT PAINS to avoid! :smallbiggrin:

That was my initial thought when I saw the title for #483, by way of the movie Broken Arrow (the one with John Travolta and Christian Slater, not the old Western with Jimmy Stewart :smallwink: ). In that one, a character remarks, "I'm not sure what frightens me more, the fact that we've lost a nuclear weapon, or that it happens often enough for there to be a code phrase for it."

In this case, perhaps Roy, Haley & Belkar are the "missing assets".

Doug Lampert
2007-08-24, 11:19 AM
That was my initial thought when I saw the title for #483, by way of the movie Broken Arrow (the one with John Travolta and Christian Slater, not the old Western with Jimmy Stewart :smallwink: ). In that one, a character remarks, "I'm not sure what frightens me more, the fact that we've lost a nuclear weapon, or that it happens often enough for there to be a code phrase for it."
We had code phrases for an all out nuke exchange with the USSR, that must mean that happened "often enough for there to be a code phrase for it."

And in fact it DID happen that often. It's just that for really serious forseeable problems the military holds that 0.000 times is enough to have a code phrase. IIRC the USMilitary admits to one Broken Arrow incident having actually happened, which is one more than is needed for there to be a code phrase.

DougL

Rajl
2007-08-24, 11:33 AM
Haley is demonstrating some real leadership. ;)

Holy_Knight
2007-08-24, 11:46 AM
You know what really struck me here? Not just the last panel, but the fact that Belkar actually referred to Vaarsuvius as "Vaarsuvius" instead of just "elf" or "Ears", or "androgynous twit", etc.

On another note, if Haley and Roy aren't reunited with them soon, or at the very least if they can't contact them for some reason, I wonder if Elan will have some kind of a breakdown. I know I wouldn't be doing too well if my best friend just died and my girlfriend was miles away in danger for her life.

Sorry I don't nolife the comic, searching for every little bit and remember everything.

That's right, if someone remembers something that you don't, it can only be because they're a loser with no life. Next time just say "Oh yeah, I forgot" instead of being needlessly hostile.

Scutatus
2007-08-24, 11:50 AM

It's "broken" as in "The Breaking of the Fellowship" (A chapter title in Lord of the Rings). It marks the Fellowship - er I mean the Order- splitting up and going in different directions...

Que Haley and Belkar setting out alone on their own "solo" (duo?) quest to bring the Ents into the War... er, I mean destroy the Ring, no, no, I mean revive Roy; While the rest of the Fellowship, I mean Order, continue the resistence against Sauron - darn it - I mean Xykon. ;)

Ahem.

I loved Elan's Distinction betwen crampy feeling and general ache. And isn't it wonderful to see Haley in complete trust (and love) with Elan? So much so that she just swats that negative thought right down before it can even start? Wonderful. She has come a LONG way.

Ronald_saveloy
2007-08-24, 12:38 PM
Women with swords are hotter. Well known fact.

Interesting fact! So it works on women as well as on men (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0308.html)!

Hegemon
2007-08-24, 12:57 PM
I liked Scutatus' reasoning on the breaking up, but I think some of you are reading too much into :belkar: , hes the psychopath who's there for some maniacal comic bits... I don't think his character is nearly as complex as you're making it out to be.

Fingolfin
2007-08-24, 01:08 PM
A good comic, entire seems to have that hollywood ring, and yet it preserves OOTS charm. The last scene especially shows seriousness of the situation.

Ganurath
2007-08-24, 01:20 PM
I liked Scutatus' reasoning on the breaking up, but I think some of you are reading too much into :belkar: , hes the psychopath who's there for some maniacal comic bits... I don't think his character is nearly as complex as you're making it out to be.A cookie to whoever catches what character from a webcomic I'm comparing Belkar to in support of the preceeding statement:
I. Like. To. Kill. Things. How is that not clear by now?

happyturtle
2007-08-24, 01:25 PM
This is not the end of the arc. We'll know when that is. The previous arc (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0120.html) endings (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0300.html) have been very clear, (even without the fact that both included the words 'end of a story arc' in them. :smallwink: ) I think that the end will be
very soon--before #490--with the party still split.

:haley: This is Haley's character growth moment. Roy's was tearing up the contracts (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0294.html), and Elan's was swinging through the window (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0392.html). Haley's dismissal of Dark Mistress Shadowgale was just as much of a victory for her, and well earned. I wonder who will be next?

Dalenthas
2007-08-24, 01:27 PM
A cookie to whoever catches what character from a webcomic I'm comparing Belkar to in support of the preceeding statement:

Richard from LFG.

CGM3
2007-08-24, 02:31 PM
We had code phrases for an all out nuke exchange with the USSR, that must mean that happened "often enough for there to be a code phrase for it."

And in fact it DID happen that often. It's just that for really serious forseeable problems the military holds that 0.000 times is enough to have a code phrase. IIRC the USMilitary admits to one Broken Arrow incident having actually happened, which is one more than is needed for there to be a code phrase.

DougL

Well, the character in Broken Arrow who had that line was a civilian liaison, not a military man, so I suppose he wasn't aware of contingency planning. And besides, it's an amusing line.

krieger
2007-08-24, 03:36 PM
Maybe the book will end on #485? It has been a long way since #301, and besides, there's many double pages... It's time for another compilation! I think the order will be "broken" for a long time, about 100 + comics. :smallbiggrin:

Anyway, Rich Burlew will probably tell next about RedCloak and Xykon... How they control Azure City. And there's Nale and co. :smalltongue:

nybbler
2007-08-24, 03:40 PM
I think that odd reaction from Belkar towards V was actually _respect_.

And I wonder if a bard's general achiness is an indication of foreshadowing. Sucks for Elan if it is.

Elandegenerate
2007-08-24, 03:44 PM
Richard from LFG.

@$%^ you! i was gonna get that cookie!

I liked Scutatus' reasoning on the breaking up, but I think some of you are reading too much into , hes the psychopath who's there for some maniacal comic bits... I don't think his character is nearly as complex as you're making it out to be.

I think your forgetting that in the first few strips of OotS each character was just a sterotypically played character that is often played in D&D, when it started there was no real depth, in fact, the first strip ever had no plot bound purpose. How many strips was it until someone actually asked why they where in the dungeon anyways?

The only people in this comic that have no depth (or will not have depth) are those that the Giant makes it know, usually via slicing them in half. after all, who woulda thought the two redshirts would have names?! i dont expect to see em after their next departure, but i imagine that they wont completely disappear forever, unless the comic takes a new direction due away from the saphire guard after the guard has become content with the safty of the gates.

also, as to the effect of flying with celia....I think there is probably about 10,000 archers and a good deal of spellcasters (including Xykon and Redcloak) who might oppose 3 members of those who have helped foil their plans before+1 fly out of their city without a generous donation of arrows and archane power in their ....pockets?

P.S. Shame on you Hannes (and i dont think that " nolife" is a verb, or a word for that matter)

David Argall
2007-08-24, 04:18 PM
Don't know if anyone mentioned this yet, but if you look at the city from Elan's POV, there is a single bright pixel that is out of place in all that blue... could almost be Haley... its in the right spot too, triganomically speaking.

Not impossible that was what was meant, but when we look from the other end, Haley can barely see the ship, much less that there is anybody on it. And she would be even harder to see from the ship. So the speck shouldn't be Haley.

Adventurer
2007-08-24, 05:12 PM
I don't think Belkar is concerned about V and the others not being there as much as he's about to realize that he's trapped in a recently conquered city. Since the MoJ probably still works (the city is still a city, even a conquered, semi-ruined city) he's not going to be able to do any more killing for a while and is either going to be forced to watch Haley do all the killing while he guards Roy's corpse, or just flee from danger. I doubt either are pleasent scenarios for Belkar

Finally a voice of reason. I can't understand why people take the last panels as Belkar "character development" or "proof that he likes V". It's darn obvious that he simply thought that this was yet another of V's pranks, and in the last panel he realises that what he sees in front of him is the cruel reality... and that it's going to be very unpleasant for him!

The next strip will probably be the end of the third book, and from the looks of it the OotS aren't going to be in it, it's probably going to be about Xykon, or about someone we would never expect!

Starlong
2007-08-24, 06:54 PM
It'll definately be a brilliant double page spread, one for each side of the docks. I think Belkar was in desperate denial, as obviously he'd want to get on the ship as soon as possible (Hinjo promised to remove the MoJ after the battle - the battle is certainly over).

What really striked a cord of sympathy in me was that he called V by his full name... The only other time Belkar's refered to Vaarsuvius as Vaarsuvius was when the chimera (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0020.html) was on the recieving end of one of V's spells - and it was showing a serious side to Belkar - as in he seriously doesn't like the idea of being hurt or killed - and when cornered by Goblins (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0092.html) the same kind of fear for his own skin is apparent that is in this update.

The last few panels are not really going into hidden depths of Belkar's charactor, it just reiterates that Belkar isn't a one dimentional kill crazed CE phycopath...

It's the serious side of Belkar rarely seen, but that in itself is both moving and funny.

:belkar: Besides, I reckon Belkar prefers mercyless killing to dramatic surviving anyhow, and the current situation is unfortunatly for him, rather dramatic

Elandegenerate
2007-08-24, 08:44 PM
Finally a voice of reason. I can't understand why people take the last panels as Belkar "character development" or "proof that he likes V". It's darn obvious that he simply thought that this was yet another of V's pranks, and in the last panel he realises that what he sees in front of him is the cruel reality... and that it's going to be very unpleasant for him!

The next strip will probably be the end of the third book, and from the looks of it the OotS aren't going to be in it, it's probably going to be about Xykon, or about someone we would never expect!

we are speculating that there might be a deeper side to belkar, Not stating in fact that there isnt. seeing as we have the entire rest of the comic (may that last forever) to see the inner dealings is belkar, we feel that the former is more likely,

that is all

Ganurath
2007-08-24, 09:44 PM
A deeper side of Belkar, Elandegenerate? And to think I was going to give you a cookie out of sympathy for being undercut by an elf! Dalenthas, there's a double chocolate-chip with your name on it in the middle of that loose setup of dry sticks over a spike pit.

Seriously, though, one of Belkar's strongest attributes is the simplicity of his character, his elegance in a manner of speaking. He is, in a manner of speaking, the Thog of the OotS. Needlessly violent, one-dimensional, and yet somehow lovable.

KeiranHalcyon
2007-08-24, 11:42 PM
Some assorted comments:

I just had to fire up The Breaking of the Fellowship from the LOTR soundtrack when I read the strip title.

Best strip of the week? This might be the best strip of the summer. When did "Ghost-martyrs of the Sapphire Guard" come out? (I wish the Giant would datestamp these things.)

For some reason, I was quite amused by seeing a close-up of the back of Belkar's head.

The whole "divide the party on the way to a common goal" bit is a tried and true storytelling element, especially when it separates two long-in-the-making-and-recently-united lovers. I suspect, nay, hope, that the seperation will be drawn out long enough to make the most of it without turning stale. (Something like when Moya and Talyn were seperated on Farscape, each with half the crew... albeit without a clone of the main character.)

Where did "Broken Arrow" come from? The title of the strip is "Broken Stick". Now, granted, the simplest of arrows is merely a fairly straight stick with a sharpened tip and perhaps some fletching, but that aside, I see no greater connection between "Broken Stick" and "Broken Arrow" as between "Broken Stick" and "Hockey Stick".

But since you brought it up, "Broken Arrow" actually means both:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broken_Arrow

In United States military nuclear incident terminology:
A broken arrow is an accidental event that involves nuclear weapons or nuclear components but does not create the risk of nuclear war.
Broken arrow is also a type of code word that has been used to request close air support from all available aircraft when a ground position is in extreme danger of being overrun by enemy troops. This type of code word was last used in Operation Iraqi Freedom (April 2007) and is a plot element in movies such as We Were Soldiers.

I contest that Elan's character growth moment was crashing through the glass to confront Nale. If I had to pick a moment, I'd have to go with "I need to warn Haley."

And finally... taken out of context, this whole business about girls with swords being hotter than normal could craft some really disturbing mental imagery.

Mobius Stripped
2007-08-25, 01:02 AM
Just a crazy, off-the-wall idea...

What if Haley and Belkar are captured by Xykon and his forces, Roy gets animated by Redcloak, and the Order does not get reunited until both Xykon's forces and the other three OOTS'ers (V, Durkon, Elan) all reach the next gate?
You've got to admit, a splash page with Haley and Belkar turning a corner to find thousands of hobgoblins, swords raised, would be an awesome cliffhanger ending for the story arc. Think the end of the final chase scene in "The Blues Brothers" and you'll have an idea what I mean.

nagora
2007-08-25, 06:17 AM
Did anyone else look at the first panel and think "Ohh, 9/11"? The wharfs and the smoke and the buildings, you know?

Max_Sinister
2007-08-25, 07:20 AM
Now if Haley and Belkar only knew about the power of Celia's pendant... everything would be so easy.

Ganurath
2007-08-25, 08:44 AM
Now if Haley and Belkar only knew about the power of Celia's pendant... everything would be so easy.Haley was right there (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0320.html)! I guess she was still being ignored because she was still on gibberish mode. In any case, it's more of a matter of her remembering.

Fedifensor
2007-08-25, 09:11 AM
Does Haley have UMD?

Shatteredtower
2007-08-25, 10:34 AM
No, but neither did Roy, so I don't think that's an issue.

I was awed when I first realized that the large panels would be placed across from each other in a book, showing the entire Order side by side across the top of a two page spread in the kind of cinematographic view I loved from a number of films I watched as a kid. I thought that the only thing that could have made it more perfect would have been if Roy was there, and then I noticed that he is in what will be the top panel of the right-hand page.

The symmetry is also rather cool -- the two shortest characters are in the middle. Another nice touch is how the space on the right side of the left page and the left side of the right page emphasize the divide between the characters.

Beautiful work. Loved the rest of the strip as well, but those two panels are glorious.

Gijs
2007-08-25, 10:52 AM
once again genius, man I always crack up from those OOTS dudes :smallsmile:

v and belkar are great :smallbiggrin:

Mongo 900 B.C
2007-08-25, 11:00 AM
sweet comic!

:belkar: V???.......:smalleek:

factotum
2007-08-25, 12:28 PM
Now if Haley and Belkar only knew about the power of Celia's pendant... everything would be so easy.

She almost certainly does, but why would everything be easy in any case? Not only is Celia unlikely to be strong enough to carry all three of them to the junk, but a celestial flying over the city might just attract a little attention. If that attention happened to belong to Redcloak or Xykon, it'd be pretty much game over for Celia and whoever she happened to be carrying at the time!

Amon Star
2007-08-25, 01:49 PM
Well, everything has already been said, so I'll just go with a few Quotes.
Sooo sad, Belkar made me wanna cry:smallfrown: and I hate that the whole party is in split, I liked when they were all hanging together making fun of Roy's boobies............I miss the boobies:smallfrown: .

Yes, we all miss the boobies. :smallfrown:

Well for a start, I don't :belkar: would agree to that. Secondly, it's not a good act, so :haley: won't do it. There's a world of difference in saying death isn't that bad because we have access to res & killing them because it's more convenient. Remember, there's that level loss, among other things.

malakim2099
2007-08-25, 02:14 PM
Just a crazy, off-the-wall idea...

What if Haley and Belkar are captured by Xykon and his forces, Roy gets animated by Redcloak, and the Order does not get reunited until both Xykon's forces and the other three OOTS'ers (V, Durkon, Elan) all reach the next gate?
You've got to admit, a splash page with Haley and Belkar turning a corner to find thousands of hobgoblins, swords raised, would be an awesome cliffhanger ending for the story arc. Think the end of the final chase scene in "The Blues Brothers" and you'll have an idea what I mean.

Yeah, well, the problem with Xykon capturing them is that it pretty much is the end for them. As we've seen in the past, the likely result of their capture is...

Roy: Turned into undead.
Haley: Turned into undead.
Belkar: Well, okay, he's rabid psycho enough that Xykon might appreciate having him around... but he might just turn him into undead anyway.

Needless to say, I don't think they're gonna be captured... as that would definitely prohibit a happy ending for Elan.

Elandegenerate
2007-08-25, 03:35 PM
A deeper side of Belkar, Elandegenerate? And to think I was going to give you a cookie out of sympathy for being undercut by an elf! Dalenthas, there's a double chocolate-chip with your name on it in the middle of that loose setup of dry sticks over a spike pit.

Seriously, though, one of Belkar's strongest attributes is the simplicity of his character, his elegance in a manner of speaking. He is, in a manner of speaking, the Thog of the OotS. Needlessly violent, one-dimensional, and yet somehow lovable.

counterpoint

we are speculating that there might be a deeper side to belkar, Not stating in fact that there isnt. seeing as we have the entire rest of the comic (may that last forever) to see the inner dealings is belkar, we feel that the former is more likely,

that is all

(in other words, what i said still stands, it is more likely than not that there IS a deeper side of Belkar, not maybe in a sense that there are some deep rooted secrets of belkars that lead his actions (like haley) but rather that we have seen the holes in the ground but we dont know for certian if they where made by a rabbit, a squirrel, a mole, a badger, ect ect...)

dark-sage 95
2007-08-25, 07:27 PM
I may be over analyzing the comic but in panel 6 does anyone think there may have been a joke/coincidence regarding the fact that elan stole a lute from the shop and belkar wants to loot the shop, my point being loot and lute sound exactly the same when said aloud. (Looting and luteing?) I don't know I'm probably just over thinking. :smallconfused:

Suspect-Device
2007-08-25, 07:41 PM
huh, i just noticed somthing, haley is carrying the amulet given to roy by celia, which makes me think that an aerial escape is in the works...

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0483.html - The amulet on haley
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0320.html - The Amulet being given

factotum
2007-08-26, 01:17 AM
Congratulations, you're only about the 17th person in this thread to notice that and talk about it at great length!

Elandegenerate
2007-08-26, 03:54 PM
Congratulations, you're only about the 17th person in this thread to notice that and talk about it at great length!

wow, i see that your avatar is appropriate, as your comment is quite acidic.

not everyone want to go through 6 pages of posts, i mean, this comic is obviously the kind to attract smart and opinionated people, the shortest comments you get tend to usully be one paragraph essays.

berrew
2007-08-26, 05:17 PM
not everyone want to go through 6 pages of posts, i mean, this comic is obviously the kind to attract smart and opinionated people, the shortest comments you get tend to usully be one paragraph essays.I have to admit, I have never quite understood the logic being used here. If you want to add something to a topic without reading it, you should never be surprised if someone says (in some fashion) "already discussed." How can you expect to add something useful to a discussion when you don't actually know what folk are talking about in the first place?

The funny thing is, it's not even like a conversation, where you mention something folks talked about 15 minutes earlier. That's excusable - but these "conversations" are logged. If this thread were 30 pages long, I could see it...

Amon Star
2007-08-26, 05:33 PM
I may be over analyzing the comic but in panel 6 does anyone think there may have been a joke/coincidence regarding the fact that elan stole a lute from the shop and belkar wants to loot the shop, my point being loot and lute sound exactly the same when said aloud. (Looting and luteing?) I don't know I'm probably just over thinking. :smallconfused:

No, that could indeed be another small pun thrown in by the Giant.

Lumenadducere
2007-08-26, 05:38 PM
Great strip. I REALLY want to see what happens to 'em now, but I get the feeling we won't get any resolution for a while...probably not until partway into the next book, at least.