PDA

View Full Version : Maximize archery range for a ranger

Tboy1492
2018-01-10, 12:13 PM
So our groups ranger wants to optimize his ranged attacks so he can pelt away as best as possible as I understand him. He is taking the sharpshooter feat at first level since we’re given the option for feats. Are there any other ways for him to be able to reach further with his longbow bow effectively? We’re level 2 presently, and multiclassing is story restricted in our games. So presuming we are not multiclassing, what’s the best way to get that range up?

Easy_Lee
2018-01-10, 12:20 PM
So our groups ranger wants to optimize his ranged attacks so he can pelt away as best as possible as I understand him. He is taking the sharpshooter feat at first level since we’re given the option for feats. Are there any other ways for him to be able to reach further with his longbow bow effectively? We’re level 2 presently, and multiclassing is story restricted in our games. So presuming we are not multiclassing, what’s the best way to get that range up?

600 feet is more than plenty for the vast majority of purposes. The real trouble is actually detecting targets that far away. Tell your friend to play an Eldritch Knight or otherwise pick up the spell Find Familiar. He can summon an owl that he can telepathically communicate with at a distance of 100 feet and who can be a spotter for him. That will allow the owl to tell him when he's coming up on distant enemies or waiting ambushes.

GlenSmash!
2018-01-10, 12:24 PM
600 feet is more than plenty for the vast majority of purposes. The real trouble is actually detecting targets that far away. Tell your friend to play an Eldritch Knight or otherwise pick up the spell Find Familiar. He can summon an owl that he can telepathically communicate with at a distance of 100 feet and who can be a spotter for him. That will allow the owl to tell him when he's coming up on distant enemies or waiting ambushes.

^ Good advice.

I find Magic initiate to get Find familiar to be super useful for a Scout/Ranged Attacker. One a Ranger it even gets me most of what I would want out of a "Beastmaster". Although I totally envision a beast master differently than others do.

Tboy1492
2018-01-10, 12:32 PM
^ Good advice.

I find Magic initiate to get Find familiar to be super useful for a Scout/Ranged Attacker. One a Ranger it even gets me most of what I would want out of a "Beastmaster". Although I totally envision a beast master differently than others do.

Our group is converting from 3.5, the way we do familiars and animal companions is by a die roll. Under the circumstances he started with a companion at first level, some sort of plant bound thing that is currently a seedling just starting to sprout feet (my characters familiar is a living shadow thing, grows into a shadow hound as I get higher levels)

For 600 ft he isn’t satisfied, used our current situation as an example. There are bandits on the run by horseback, and they took little time in breaking the distance. He wants to be able to pick off fleeing foes (or approaching) before/after combat to finish the fight for good if fleeing or panic/weaken them before they are even a threat. Are there any ranger spells that would help or arcane ones I might be able to use to help him? We also have an artificer, if that helps?

Edit: DM ruled we can keep the critters even though he isn’t likely picking beastmaster, it just won’t sup up the sane way.

Easy_Lee
2018-01-10, 12:35 PM
Then tell him to buy a horse so he can increase his effective range by 60-120 feet per turn.

Tboy1492
2018-01-10, 12:47 PM
Then tell him to buy a horse so he can increase his effective range by 60-120 feet per turn.

I suppose we do have the horses from the banditscweve killed so far still.