PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Monk/Incantatrix build

xkroku
2018-01-10, 05:33 PM
Hello everyone,
I was recently having some fun with gestalt builds, and ce up with really fun monk/wizard build making use of things like Kung Fu Genius, Decisive strike+Knock-down+Snap Kick, Persisting spells like Mighty Wallop, Blood Wind through Incantatrix with Persist Spell ald Ocular Spell. And I was wondering if there is a way to achieve (to some degree) similar results with standard character? I will work on it myslef, but would greatly appriceate your help!
Thanks!

tyckspoon
2018-01-10, 06:41 PM
Sure, you just do something that looks like Monk (1 or 2)/Wizard X/Incantatrix Y. You only need a level or two of Monk to get just about everything you're interested in there, then you go into the normal Wizard/Incantatrix. The hardest part is you're going to be pretty hard up for feats without gestalt and may have to make a decision on where you're going to let something go.

..well, that and you won't be an effective 'Monk' until you hit Incantatrix and can start persisting buff spells to cover for your physical weakness. Until then you're mostly a Wizard with some really poor Monk abilities.

daremetoidareyo
2018-01-10, 07:24 PM
Catch a beholder. Stab out his central eye. hit him with diplomacy until he's fanatically in love with you.

Class with heavy armor proficiency 1/druid 3/monk 1/stoneblessed 3/beholder mage 1/runesmith 1/beholder mage 1/ incantatrix X

1st level: Take the mark of handling or favored in house (vadalis) feat.
Flaw: scribe scroll
Flaw: southern magician
3rd level: Take create infusion feat.
6th level: iron will
9th level: extend spell
Incant bonus: Persistant spell

Create a huge number of infusions of aspect of the wolf.

Forcefeed the beholder the infusion. She or he now has the animal type.

Cast leap into animal. You are now a true beholder. This will allow you become a beholder mage. But you can't cast any spells while you are lept into the true beholder wolf.

But the first level ability lets you use magic items with a constantly on mage hand effect.

Which is where runesmith comes in. leap into animal allows you to prepare spells, you just can't cast them. preparing spells is an EX ability. So if you prepare your beholder mage spells on runes...you can cast them.

Head on into incantatrix with your 1 level of monk abilities.

Zaq
2018-01-10, 07:48 PM
Catch a beholder. Stab out his central eye. hit him with diplomacy until he's fanatically in love with you.

Class with heavy armor proficiency 1/druid 3/monk 1/stoneblessed 3/beholder mage 1/runesmith 1/beholder mage 1/ incantatrix X

1st level: Take the mark of handling or favored in house (vadalis) feat.
Flaw: scribe scroll
Flaw: southern magician
3rd level: Take create infusion feat.
6th level: iron will
9th level: extend spell
Incant bonus: Persistant spell

Create a huge number of infusions of aspect of the wolf.

Forcefeed the beholder the infusion. She or he now has the animal type.

Cast leap into animal. You are now a true beholder. This will allow you become a beholder mage. But you can't cast any spells while you are lept into the true beholder wolf.

But the first level ability lets you use magic items with a constantly on mage hand effect.

Which is where runesmith comes in. leap into animal allows you to prepare spells, you just can't cast them. preparing spells is an EX ability. So if you prepare your beholder mage spells on runes...you can cast them.

Head on into incantatrix with your 1 level of monk abilities.

Never change, dare.

Palanan
2018-01-10, 07:51 PM
Originally Posted by daremetoidareyo
Stab out his central eye. hit him with diplomacy until he's fanatically in love with you.

I’m still hung up on this line.

weckar
2018-01-11, 03:54 AM
Hello everyone,
I was recently having dome fun with gestalt builds,
Did we all just miss this or what?

emeraldstreak
2018-01-11, 08:05 AM
Hello everyone,
I was recently having dome fun with gestalt builds, and ce up with really fun monk/wizard build making use of things like Kung Fu Genius, Decisive strike+Knock-down+Snap Kick, Persisting spells like Mighty Wallop, Blood Wind through Incantatrix with Persist Spell ald Ocular Spell. And I was wondering if there is a way to achieve (to some degree) similar results with standard character? I will work on it myslef, but would greatly appriceate your help!
Thanks!

Sure. On the buff side, Greater Mighty Wallop has a fairly long duration, so it's not like Persist is a must. Blood Wind can be swiftly activated from a wand (remember, Monks can hold things in their hands and that doesn't interfere with unarmed strike).

On the multiclass side, there are feats (ie superior unarmed strike, carmedine monk) and items (monk's belt, others) that raise the level of your unarmed strike.

Then there are really advanced optimizations for both area control/deny build (with Decisive Strike) or ubercharger pouncer with oversized scorpion kama.

noob
2018-01-11, 08:19 AM

Does it matters to be gestalt when you can do a non gestalt character that performs as well if not better than the double straight classed gestalt character.(especially since often gestalt forbids prcs and stuff like that)

ShurikVch
2018-01-11, 08:37 AM
hit him with diplomacy until he's fanatically in love with you.

http://images.comiccollectorlive.com/covers/e52/e5202cc4-8273-4311-b13c-06e3c45acf3f.jpg

xkroku
2018-01-11, 09:33 AM

Of course i know that standard character cannot really compare with a gestalt one, therefore I just wanted something similar, in a lesser scale :smallsmile:

Anthrowhale
2018-01-11, 09:37 PM
There's actually a natural way to use monk. If you have two flaws, a Cobra Strike Monk 2/Wizard 3/Spelldancer 1 with the feats:

Flaw 1: Combat Casting
Flaw 2: Endurance
1. Sanctum Spell // used for 3rd level spells prerequisite in Spelldancer
3. Extend Spell
6. Persistent Spell

...can persist spells.