1st
exotic weapon prof (kusari-gama)
combat expertise
weapon finesse

2nd
improved trip

3rd
combat reflexes

now i thought to make the build more interesting for my friend it should have some tome of battle features but i've never really looked too hard at tome of battle so i have no idea how to incorporate it

any help the useful members of this forum can be provide would be much appreciated

Inevitability
2018-01-11, 01:55 PM
What stats for the kusuri-gama are you using? I recall there's a couple different printings.

you randomly
2018-01-11, 02:28 PM
What stats for the kusuri-gama are you using? I recall there's a couple different printings.

double weapon with reach and trip
1d6/1d6 19-20 x2

Inevitability
2018-01-11, 02:54 PM
I suggest using either a Guisarme or Halberd, or if you have to use an exotic weapon pick a Spiked Chain instead. Double weapons are notoriously tricky to use, and tripping is already quite feat-intensive.

This handbook (http://minmaxforum.com/index.php?topic=8774.0) may also be useful.

Hellpyre
2018-01-11, 10:35 PM
Unless you're married to that weapon, I'd recommend dual-wielding sword and axe for the High Sword Low Axe fighting style feat. Take a level in Swordsage at 1 for the skill points and a free weapon focus, then fighter 4 for the rest of the feats you'll need, and finish the rest in Swordsage or Warblade to get manuveurs. Double Hit goes especially nice with High Sword Low Axe for tripping.

CMagnum
2018-01-12, 05:13 PM
Take Barbarian Wolf totem 2 for improved trip, grab exotic weapon proficiency spiked chain as level 1 then take crusader x. I played a half orc with this build and it was great!

ExLibrisMortis
2018-01-12, 05:41 PM
Weapon Finesse on a trip build is a weird choice, because you need to pump Strength for successful tripping and size for reach and successful tripping.

I'd suggest the build in my signature. The barbarian dip CMagnum mentions is great as well.

theboss
2018-01-12, 05:52 PM
High sword low axe requires alot of feats and the use of two different weapons which it's sucks because WF and WS is going to work on one of them. Instead, I recommend taking Knock-Down feats which gives free trip attempt each attack (when dealing 10 or more damage). Double hit sounds good too since you're going to get 2 AoO each successful trip.
When diping into one of the ToB classes, you first better look which style suits for you better, check the maneuvers each class grants.
About your exotic double weapon. You can absolutely stick with it and maybe dip into exotic weapon master for 1 level in order to get uncanny blow (Now you apply 1.5 times the strength modifier to your main hand and 1 times to your off hand). This can get you a nice boost damage. Btw, I'm not complete sure how it works if you use this stunt in two weapon fighting. Maybe you apply 1.5 times to your both hands.
Anyhow, you're on a good path my friend. Have fun

Hellpyre
2018-01-12, 08:17 PM
High sword low axe requires alot of feats and the use of two different weapons which it's sucks because WF and WS is going to work on one of them. Instead, I recommend taking Knock-Down feats which gives free trip attempt each attack (when dealing 10 or more damage). Double hit sounds good too since you're going to get 2 AoO each successful trip.

Double hit already requires TWF, so you really only sink the one extra WF feat as a prereq you didn't want. I would recommend Knockdown in conjunction (and over the other feats if you are short on space) to get three trip attempts per AoO triggered. Unfortunately, Imp. Trip doesn't create an AoO, so Double Hit doesn't get you two hits on a trip.

Twurps
2018-01-18, 06:03 PM
I really like the Kusari gama. It would have to be the DMG version though (light weapon, reach) so it takes 2 of them for TWF.

Race: Goliath (RoS, +1LA). Goliath have 'powerfull build' for +4 to trip attempts and a strength bonus to boot. (If you stick to human, consider Jotunbrud feat (RoF))
2 level dip in Barbarian, take mountain rage ACF allowing you to actually turn large (which is very good for tripping) when raging, and of course the 'improved trip without prereq's' is nice as mentioned above.

For feats:
obviously: improved trip (possibly from barbarian) TWF and combat reflexes.
Nice additions.
Deft opportunist for +4 on AoO's (CAp106)
Double hit (MH p21) (and improved TWF prereq)
Knock down

As you'll be feat starved: some fighter levels are good. I've never made it to lvl16 of fighter. (TOB is better) but should you take it that far: honorable mention to the 'overpowering attack' ACF from PHII. There's something kinda useful at lvl 12 in there as well, but I forgot the name/what it does.

Now for the ToB flavor: There's 1 staple stance for an AoO/trip build: Thicket of blades. This stance triggers AoO's in situations where you normally get none (5ft step, withdraw). It's a crusader maneuver, which is an excellent class to complement your trip build with. Ad other maneuvers to taste. Perhaps some healing maneuvers to last longer in the front lines?

Thicket of blades leaves your opponent with only 2 options that don't trigger, both of which can be fixed.
1) attack you. Fixed with 'robilars gambit' feat (PHII) or 'karmic strike' feat (CW)
2) anything else (including attacking you actually). fixed with 'defensive sweep' feat from PHII

If you have feats to spare after all this: Side step (MH) can be very usefull, but it comes with 2 sucky prereq's.

It can be a potent melee build, but I should warn you: I can take a LOT of dice rolls per combat round.