PDA

View Full Version : Switch-hitter Weapons Would Help Strength Fighters

Easy_Lee
2018-01-11, 03:33 PM
In the "Dex usable with medium weapons" thread, people were debating the effects of effectively making all weapons finesse. The general feeling was that this would hurt Strength-based fighters. Cynthaer further had this to say about it:

You can homebrew whatever you like, but you're going to end up running afoul of 5e's design sensibilities.

Basically, when assigning the finesse attribute, 5e doesn't look at real-world weapons and try to figure out which ones actually require "dexterity" to wield them in combat (hint: it's all of them), or which ones can be effectively used without much physical strength (hint: it's almost none of them).

Instead, it assigns the finesse property to weapons that are thematically or archetypally used by characters in media who are dextrous rather than strong. In other words, D&D rapiers don't have "finesse" because real-world rapiers are so light you don't need much strength to wield them (they're not (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efZLw-tlIOs)). They have finesse because Zorro is quick and flashy.

your approach is all wrong, if you're interested in merging your idea seamlessly with the rest of how 5e does things.

I like Cynthaer, but disagree with this comment. The point of this thread is to show why Switch-hitter weapons (allowing weapons to use either strength or dexterity, user's choice) would actually help strength fighters and fit 5e's design philosophy.

On the armor table there are no strength or dexterity "requirements" listed. Rather characters may add all or some of their dexterity modifier to AC while wearing light or medium armor, and will take a 10' movement penalty to their movement speed if they wear heavy armor and have less than a specified amount of strength (up to 15) or are not a dwarf. Being proficient gives you the full AC of that armor regardless of your attributes. You can sometimes push your AC higher with dexterity, but that's separate from the armor.

Thus armor effectiveness is based more on proficiency than on attributes. Characters with heavy armor proficiency can have minimum scores in all attributes and still get the maximum AC out of heavy armor.

For spells, notice that different classes use different attributes to cast many of the same spells. Bards, sorcerers, warlocks, and wizards share many of the same spells in spite of the last using a different attribute. Clerics and Paladins have similar overlap. Thus different classes accomplish the same thing in different ways.

Some spells don't make spell attacks or have save DCs either, having the same effect regardless of attributes. For those spells with DCs, your proficiency bonus is usually equal to or greater than your casting attribute thus having a slightly higher impact on your effectiveness. For spells that do damage, the attribute usually can only be added to damage once if at all. Proficiency similarly has an equal or larger impact than your attribute on chance to hit. Thus we can say that spellcasting is based more on being proficient with (knowing) specific spells than having high attributes.

Weapons follow neither example. You need proficiency to use a weapon well but that weapon's effectiveness is more based on which attribute the weapon itself requires, not which attribute the character has. For most weapons (D8 or below), the attribute can have an even bigger impact on damage than the weapon's damage die itself. For the hardest hitting weapons, it still works out that your attribute is more important than proficiency since the attribute applies to both damage and accuracy while proficiency applies only to accuracy. Thus even a character who is proficient with all weapons should only ever use ones that line up with his attribute - strength or dexterity.

This affects strength and dexterity characters as follows:

Dexterity characters have fewer weapon choices in melee and, as a result, do a little less melee damage (up to 2.5 less per attack) than strength characters assuming equivalent proficiency.
Strength characters have inferior damage and significantly inferior range and total number of attacks when attacking at range compared to dexterity characters. Characters can only draw one weapon per round and thrown weapons do not count as ammunition for the purpose of being drawn, meaning only one attack is possible unless the character has Dual Wielder.

Thus strength characters are more penalized in ranged combat than dexterity characters are in melee by the current system.

In conclusion, allowing all weapons to be used with strength or dexterity would help strength characters more. In ranged combat, they would gain damage, range, and would be able to make more attacks. Dexterity characters in melee would have more weapon options if proficient, but would only gain up to 2.5 damage per attack. This would also better fit 5e's design philosophies, as shown above. Proficiency with weapons would outweigh having the right attribute, opening up a wider variety of builds.

As many have pointed out, all weapons benefit from both strength and dexterity (accuracy) in the real world, but that isn't the point of this thread.

Talamare
2018-01-11, 03:40 PM
Let's make all Martials require both!

For Melee
Strength increases damage
Dexterity increases accuracy

For Ranged
Strength increases accuracy
Dexterity increases damage

But seriously, if you allow Heavy weapons to be used with Dex. Then you have erased Strength as a score in the game.

Easy_Lee
2018-01-11, 04:20 PM

For Melee

For Ranged

But seriously, if you allow Heavy weapons to be used with Dex. Then you have erased Strength as a score in the game.

I hear that argument often, but I don't think that's right. Classes with heavy armor proficiency (paladins, fighters, and life clerics) as well as barbarians already have strong incentive to level strength over dexterity. You get higher AC for plate armor and don't actually need much strength to use it without penalty. Barbarians have to use strength with Reckless Attack, for whatever reason, and they aren't going anywhere. Additionally Strength controls Athletics which is more useful than any dexterity skill generally and also has combat applications.

By your logic, we already shouldn't see Strength-based fighters as they can deal comparable damage with crossbow expert + sharpshooter as they can with GWM and +2 strength (archery yields higher accuracy, and they can attack more reliably). But we do see such fighters - they're more common in my experience.

ZorroGames
2018-01-11, 04:31 PM

For Melee

For Ranged

Blue text material.

I find these kinds of threads filled with the kind of errors that turned AD&D 1e into the munchkinism of 2e and possibly beyond.

It’s fine the way the game is, you want more “grit” play an earlier version or a computer game, Easy_Lee.

Easy_Lee
2018-01-11, 04:37 PM
It’s fine the way the game is, you want more “grit” play an earlier version or a computer game, Easy_Lee.

Pardon my French, but where in the nine hells did you get "grit" from in my post? The only part of my post that had anything to do with realism was the last line where I specifically said that realism was not the point.

Garfunion
2018-01-11, 04:42 PM
First I'd like to say that the current system works just fine. However if you want to create an alternate combat system for weapons why don't we just remove strength and dexterity completely from the equation.

Each weapon has an accuracy bonus and a damage bonus. When you attack with your weapon you add the weapons accuracy bonus with your proficiency bonus to the D20 roll. For damage, roll the weapon's damage die plus damage bonus.

Talamare
2018-01-11, 04:43 PM
Take the FFG Star Wars game as a example since they have pretty parallel base Attributes

Instead of Strength, they have Brawn
Brawn is similar to Strength + Constitution in DnD.

Instead of Dexterity, they have Agility. Which works about the same but...
There are no Agility Melee Weapons
Agility is not used to determine Initiative, Their equivalent Wisdom and Charisma is used instead.
Agility is not used to determine any form of defense.
Agility is not used to determine Roguish things such as Thievery or Lockpicking.

They added a new stat called Cunning.
That determines Deception, Thievery, and Lockpicking.

They literally merged Strength and Constitution, and it's still considered a Weak to Mediocre stat.
As well as they literally split Dexterity in Half, and both stats that came out of it are considered Mediocre to Good stats.

Obviously, FFG Star Wars isn't DnD. Tho let's be honest here.
Dexterity is ridiculous and commonly accepted as the strongest stat for a reason.

Easy_Lee
2018-01-11, 04:46 PM
First I'd like to say that the current system works just fine. However if you want to create an alternate combat system for weapons why don't we just remove strength and dexter completely from the equation.

Each weapon has an accuracy bonus and a damage bonus. When you attack with your weapon you add the weapons accuracy bonus with your proficiency bonus to the D20 roll. For damage, roll the weapon's damage die plus damage bonus.

Because you'd have to remove attributes from spells too. And from skills. And from saves. Else martial combat would be the odd one out.

Believe it or not, I'm actually trying to work within D&D's sacred cows, not make up something else.

BigONotation
2018-01-11, 04:52 PM
Obviously, FFG Star Wars isn't DnD. Tho let's be honest here.
Dexterity is ridiculous and commonly accepted as the strongest stat for a reason.

This 1000 times. They overloaded Dex in 5e.

I would go further and say they should have made ALL melee attacks use strength and SOME ranged attacks dexterity (to include spells).

Easy_Lee
2018-01-11, 05:03 PM
This 1000 times. They overloaded Dex in 5e.

I would go further and say they should have made ALL melee attacks use strength and SOME ranged attacks dexterity (to include spells).

You do know that ranged combat is already stronger than melee combat overall, right? Every rogue would be a crossbow expert and every blaster would raise dexterity if this was the case.

Dexterity is not nearly as "overloaded" as people often say. That opinion is not backed up by actual play data. Paladins and Barbarians are overwhelmingly encouraged toward strength, clerics are more likely to raise strength than dexterity, while rogues, rangers, and monks are overwhelmingly encouraged to use dexterity. Fighters can and do go either way. That's close to an even split.

The only reason people think dexterity is stronger is because of saving throws and initiative. But strength has better armor, better weapons, a better skill, and controls more mechanics (carrying capacity, breaking things, jumping, climbing, escaping grapples, shoving). All of that is before you get into weapons.

MadBear
2018-01-11, 05:25 PM
I don't see a good reason to implement this as it doesn't really fit the theme that D&D attempts to provoke. I don't need someone with a strength of 8/20dex , wielding a great sword by default, nor an 8 dex/20 str crossbow user. That doesn't map to the generic fantasy theme. As such, I don't think it'd break the system, but I do think you lose some of the general spirit the game attempts to provoke.

Unoriginal
2018-01-11, 05:37 PM
You do know that ranged combat is already stronger than melee combat overall, right? Every rogue would be a crossbow expert and every blaster would raise dexterity if this was the case.

Dexterity is not nearly as "overloaded" as people often say. That opinion is not backed up by actual play data. Paladins and Barbarians are overwhelmingly encouraged toward strength, clerics are more likely to raise strength than dexterity, while rogues, rangers, and monks are overwhelmingly encouraged to use dexterity. Fighters can and do go either way. That's close to an even split.

The only reason people think dexterity is stronger is because of saving throws and initiative. But strength has better armor, better weapons, a better skill, and controls more mechanics (carrying capacity, breaking things, jumping, climbing, escaping grapples, shoving). All of that is before you get into weapons.

Thanks for demonstrating why more "switch-hitter weapons" are unneeded. Since doing it would only shatter the balance between STR and DEX that you've just argued exist.

Not everyday you see OP demonstrate the reverse of their thread's premise, but it's convincing.

Lombra
2018-01-11, 05:42 PM
I don't believe that what Easy is proposing is broken, anti-design, or stupid, but.

I will never accept that a maul could be used with dexterity, and never accept that a bow gets shot with strength only. It just doesn't make sense.

"You need to be strong to draw a bow" any bodybuilder could draw any 80lb hunting longbow IRL, but it requires accuracy, consistency and precision to hit the mark, all things represented by dexterity in this edition.

All this stems from the "game mechanics shouldn't be limited by fluff" argument of easy lee I guess, but I just can't put up with such level of abstraction, I just like that the game stays within a range of consistency with itself and fantasy expectations.

The_Jette
2018-01-11, 05:43 PM

Dexterity isn't the stronger stat because people are encouraged to build that way, or because it has stronger weapons. It's the higher stat because with Dexterity alone you have get AC, attack abilities, and (best of all) the ability to not have to be right next to your opponent to hit him. Stength allows you to wear heavier armor. But, the heaviest armor only increases your AC by 1 compared to the best Light or Medium Armor with a maxed Dex, which is going to increase your attack and damage rolls. Increasing your Strength only increases your damage when you are right up on your enemy. With Dex, you can be 300' away from your enemy and hit him just as well as you can if he was right on top of you. Strength is the second LEAST common save required. Dex is debatably the most common save. That can't be looked over, honestly. And, there's not much that can be done with Athletics that can't be done with Acrobatics. Climbing and Swimming no longer really require checks to get done. If you want to climb a rope, all you do is climb the rope. If you want to swim (for some reason), all you have to do is swim. So, whereas that gets rid of a lot of extrenuous dice rolling, it also makes Strength less useful. The fact that all this equipment, and class features, that encourage players to use Strength instead of Dexterity are there just goes to show how much better Dexterity is than Strength, because you don't really need to add much encouragement to use Dex.

Just my 2cp.

Lombra
2018-01-11, 05:46 PM

For Melee

For Ranged

I actually don't mind the dual stat system. Maybe for another d20 system tho. Dex to the attack roll and str to damage would thematically and realistically work.

The problem is that by doing this you gimp martials even more if you don't come up with something to compensate for casters, and for MADness.

Unoriginal
2018-01-11, 05:58 PM
. And, there's not much that can be done with Athletics that can't be done with Acrobatics.

I don't disagree with the rest of your post, but this is entirely wrong.

Climbing and Swimming no longer really require checks to get done. If you want to climb a rope, all you do is climb the rope. If you want to swim (for some reason), all you have to do is swim.

Partially correct. You can climb/swim without roll, unless the task is difficult enough to require one. You don't want to cross a river with a strong current when you have 8 in STR and no Athleticism proficiency

Jama7301
2018-01-11, 06:00 PM
The problem is that by doing this you gimp martials even more if you don't come up with something to compensate for casters, and for MADness.

One stat for attack roll spells, one for saving throw spells?

Edit: I'm dumb. That doesn't quite solve the issue, as Martials need to roll two stats for every attack, whereas a caster could just focus on one type of spell.

Lombra
2018-01-11, 06:04 PM
One stat for attack roll spells, one for saving throw spells?

Edit: I'm dumb. That doesn't quite solve the issue, as Martials need to roll two stats for every attack, whereas a caster could just focus on one type of spell.

It's not dumb, it can make sense, but maybe it's better to focus on giving something else to martials (bigger damage die weapons?) rather than "playing with magic" if you know what I mean ;)

Jama7301
2018-01-11, 06:16 PM
As someone who doesn't have a good fine-tuning sense for things, and who prefers to deal with broad ideas, I wonder if there's a way to make this work by giving weapons two different damage dice. A damage die for STR, indicating raw force, and a smaller one for showcasing finesse. Something like 1D10 + STR vs 1D6+DEX.

I'm sure the math breaks down at some point, but it might also open avenues for new feats and class abilities too.