PDA

View Full Version : How do I find Game groups?

Chaosticket
2018-01-11, 03:35 PM
I moved to new city 3 years ago. I got interested in personal gaming gaming groups, but I havent had good work schedules to do daily games. Now I work about 12-9:30 pm.

I play once a week in a Pathfinder Society campaign group. Online methods are likely the only way for me to play such as Tabletop Simulator on Steam.

So are there other online methods to play role-playing games? How do I find online groups?

Im interested in gaming in general but Im most interested in Battletech and Science Fiction over fantasy.

Knaight
2018-01-11, 04:23 PM
I moved to new city 3 years ago. I got interested in personal gaming gaming groups, but I havent had good work schedules to do daily games. Now I work about 12-9:30 pm.

I play once a week in a Pathfinder Society campaign group. Online methods are likely the only way for me to play such as Tabletop Simulator on Steam.

There's a couple of online sources that can be found with simple googling, and games can be made here. I wouldn't rule out local groups just because of that work schedule though, particularly if you're able to play Pathfinder Society once a week. 10pm-2am isn't an unusual game schedule for some people, as just one example.

Chaosticket
2018-01-11, 09:49 PM
Ive tried at least a hald dozen. Ive looked at CRAIGSLIST even.

I live 15 minutes walking distance from a game shot and 90percent of what I see is Dungeons and Dragons 5th edition, Magic the Gathering, and Warhammer. I have issues with all three.

There are alternatives but I dont have time to randomly check in hoping a guy I met who plays Battletech will show up again, for example. I can leave adverts in-store on a board but that hasnt worked.
Id be willing to try many other games at least.

CantigThimble
2018-01-11, 10:41 PM
Honestly, if I were in your situation I'd just try to join in some games of D&D or warhammer at your local store. There are probably people who'd be willing to try another system there but they're going to be much more willing to be recruited by someone they've played with a few times than a random advertisement.

Or if you're willing to try shadowrun then I played on RunnerHub (https://www.reddit.com/r/RunnerHub/) for a few months and they're pretty good. Very flexible scheduling too.

Knaight
2018-01-12, 04:06 PM
I live 15 minutes walking distance from a game shot and 90percent of what I see is Dungeons and Dragons 5th edition, Magic the Gathering, and Warhammer. I have issues with all three.

Have you tried pulling in friends who aren't necessarily into RPGs specifically already but have hobbies that suggest they would be?

Otherwise, if you're willing to GM the strategy of going to a D&D 5e game for a while and then inviting people to a Battletech game you're GMing could easily work.

RazorChain
2018-01-13, 02:18 AM
It depends on your area. You can try to find people at your local gaming store.

OR

If the roleplayers in your region are smart cookies they have already organized themselves in a facebook group. I'm a member of such groups where the members are in the thounsands and regularly there are people organizing new games.

2D8HP
2018-01-14, 11:49 AM
Here's a link:

How to Find a Gaming Group for Tabletop RPG Games (https://nerdarchy.com/find-gaming-group-tabletop-rpg-games/)

Jay R
2018-01-15, 02:25 PM
Ask your friends if they play RPGs. If so, you have a group. If not, ask if they'd like to learn.