PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder If You Could Have Just One First-Level Spell….

Palanan
2018-01-11, 04:45 PM
I’m working up a psychic with the Rebirth discipline, and if I’m reading this correctly you can select one spell per day from the list of another spellcasting class. (There are details, but that's the essence.)

Since this is a fourth-level psychic, I’m restricted to a first-level spell, but I can work with that. So, from all the spellcasting classes in Pathfinder, what’s the one first-level spell that no one should be without?

Eldonauran
2018-01-11, 07:46 PM
Since you are able to change whatever spell casting class you are drawing from each level, it seems that at lower levels you should focus on the spell lists of the 4th or 6th level casters. They tend to get some more powerful spells at an earlier spell level. It becomes more evident as soon as you can dip into their 2nd level spells.

Until you get to 6th level, I'd stick to the Sorc/Wizard list, unless the Bard list has something you really want. It is usually the most versatile.

JNAProductions
2018-01-11, 08:12 PM
Trapsmith has Haste as a level 1 spell.

Palanan
2018-01-11, 08:40 PM
Originally Posted by Eldonauran
Until you get to 6th level, I'd stick to the Sorc/Wizard list, unless the Bard list has something you really want. It is usually the most versatile.

Okay, thanks—I’d been trying to decide between wizard and druid, but I’ll take a gander at bard.

Originally Posted by JNAProductions
Trapsmith has Haste as a level 1 spell.

Where are you getting this? The only Trapsmith I see in Pathfinder is a rogue archetype.

JNAProductions
2018-01-11, 08:41 PM
Okay, thanks—I’d been trying to decide between wizard and druid, but I’ll take a gander at bard.

Where are you getting this? The only Trapsmith I see in Pathfinder is a rogue archetype.

Woops! Missed this was a PF thread-that's a 3.5 PRC I'm talking about.

Eldonauran
2018-01-12, 12:58 AM
Here's a list of interesting 1st level spells:

Boneshaker (Antipaladin) [damage]
Grace (Paladin) [swift, no AoO for movement]
Lesser Restoration (Paladin) [for pesky ability damage]
Rock Whip (Ranger) [ranged bullrush, lol]

Those are just the ones I thought interesting.

Septimus
2018-01-12, 05:22 AM
When I was trying a 5th level Rebirth Psychic, I chose Grease as 1st level spell. Versatile and useful every time.

Eldariel
2018-01-12, 06:05 AM
When I was trying a 5th level Rebirth Psychic, I chose Grease as 1st level spell. Versatile and useful every time.

Aye, Grease is always great. Enlarge Person is likewise a staple and Silent Image is quite potent indeed, though restricted by your creativity. Other than that, Mage Armor and Shield are pretty nice and Protection from Evil/X is one of the "goes way above its paygrade" spells. Summon Dead Monkey 1 does pretty much what it says on the tin, good for triggering traps et al. Druid-list also has Entangle as the obvious god tier option. The Cleric list isn't that interesting on level 1 unless you plan on gishing (Divine Favor really peaks out on level 9, so it's a good 1st level spell to that end).

Kurald Galain
2018-01-12, 06:26 AM
If you're worried about melee, Deivon's Parry may be good.
True Skill is a nice one if your caster level is high enough.
Burst of Adrenaline is another nice immediate-action bonus.
Finally, Cheetah's Sprint is hilarious given its bonus to jump checks.

Florian
2018-01-12, 06:37 AM
Plundering the Medium, Paladin or Ranger spell list might might offer the most gain, followed by some of the very specialized spells that the Alchemist and Inquisitor list have to offer. All in all, True Skill (Medium) might be one of the best utility spells ...