PDA

View Full Version : Optimization [3.5] Lumi Character

Thurbane
2018-01-11, 05:59 PM
Hey all,

Just quick hypothetical: say you were allowed to play an ECL 9 Lumi (MM3), and your +2LA had already been bought off at the start of play (i.e. you have 7 class levels).

What kind of character would you take? What are Lumi good at? 2 RHD hurt casting, so melee?

+2 Str, +4 Con, +4 Wis, -2 Dex
Improved Initiative bonus feat
Minor SLAs
Body of light, clear vision, floating head.
2 outsider HD

...I'm thinking Swordsage, maybe? Paladin? Ur-priest build?

Cheers - T

Palanan
2018-01-11, 06:18 PM
If the Serenity feat is available, paladin would fit this like a glove.

You’d literally be a shining beacon of virtue.

Thurbane
2018-01-12, 05:31 PM
If the Serenity feat is available, paladin would fit this like a glove.

You’d literally be a shining beacon of virtue.

Thanks.

Any other ideas/suggestions?

How would you build this character as a Swordsage...feats, maneuvers etc.

ExLibrisMortis
2018-01-12, 05:37 PM
As a swordsage, it has no special benefits. It's good at what it does, no more.

I'd consider building an ardent or psywar, or a totemist.

Zaq
2018-01-12, 08:48 PM
To be fair, lumi aren't actually especially powerful and don't really have any unique abilities that you can proactively show off.

There's a line about them "always channeling positive energy regardless of alignment"—can we do anything interesting with that? I think you need actual Cleric levels to activate that clause, but since it's a specific exception to a rule, it's possibly more abusable than their SLAs or other stuff. Everything else is basically passive or else your aptly described "minor SLAs." I can't think of any game elements that impose self-inflicted blindness (sans concealment) as a cost, so I can't see a way to proactively abuse Clear Vision.

By flavor, I'm getting a strong Incarnate vibe off of them, and the stats aren't wrong at all. (We'll just ignore the weirdness with the Throat chakra.) They don't do much that's special as an Incarnate, but the flavor's spot on (I can totally see a Law Incarnate with their alien "LYING IS THE GREATEST OFFENSE IN THE WORLD" mentality, and the PEP is mentioned a few times in MoI), and they don't do much that's special as most classes.

The loss of two CL to RHD is annoying, but if the rest of the party isn't optimized to the hilt, a full caster minus two levels is still a darned powerful character. It sucks to not have fifth level spells when you start, but you can still leave a pretty big mark on the world at ECL 9 with full access to fourth level spells. It's a shame that you'd have to lose even more CL to do a proper theurge build, because Sapphire Hierarch seems like a fun fit, if a touch suboptimal.

You seem to be on a ToB track, which is about one of the only ways to get "credit" for RHD. None of the ToB classes are poor choices here, but that's mostly because none of the ToB classes are particularly poor choices in general.