PDA

View Full Version : Javelin of Togetherness - need language cleaned up.

MarkVIIIMarc
2018-01-12, 12:08 AM
My goal is to create a fairly mundane +1 weapon with an odd twist which should not come up too often.

Javelin of Togetherness: Created by an Elven Cleric Ilatan whose husband of a hundred years was a dutiful soldier with renowned charisma. This is a +1 weapon. It has a secret curse. If the bearer has relationships with a female other than Ilatan the weapon has disadvantage on attacks in their next battle.

Just a humorous little twist. I'm open to suggestions to clean up the wording.

Tiadoppler
2018-01-12, 12:18 AM
My goal is to create a fairly mundane +1 weapon with an odd twist which should not come up too often.

Javelin of Togetherness: Created by an Elven Cleric Ilatan whose husband of a hundred years was a dutiful soldier with renowned charisma. This is a +1 weapon. It has a secret curse. If the bearer has relationships with a female other than Ilatan the weapon has disadvantage on attacks in their next battle.

Javelin of Togetherness +1 requires attunement.
If the attuned individual has relations with any female other than the Elven Cleric Ilatan, any attack made with the Javelin of Togetherness +1 before the attuned individual takes his/her next long rest will have Disadvantage.

Yeah, that's a tough effect to word concisely. I'm not really happy with my attempt.

By RAW, Succubi don't count as male or female, so they're g2g, iirc.

Quoz
2018-01-12, 01:20 AM
Bonus if it also has magic mouth cast on it to hurl insults. "You cheating b@st@rd"; "I thought you loved me!"; "Don't bother coming home" ect.

Ninja_Prawn
2018-01-12, 04:23 AM
Javelin of Togetherness
Weapon (javelin), uncommon (requires attunement)

You have a +1 bonus to attack and damage rolls with this magical weapon.
Curse. This javelin is cursed and becoming attuned to it extends the curse to you. As long as you remain cursed, you have disadvantage on attack rolls you make with weapons other than this one. Furthermore, if you have relations* with any person other than the creator, you have disadvantage on all attack rolls for the next 24 hours.

*Strictly speaking, I'd want to make it clearer exactly what the javelin considers to be 'relations'. It would probably be against forum rules to get any more explicit here, though.

Vaz
2018-01-12, 06:18 AM

The problem is "relationships" isn't a term that is recognised by the game

Javelin of Togetherness
Weapon (Javelin), unique, (requires attunement by an individual in a relationship with the creator)
You gain a +1 bonus to attack and damage rolls made with this magic weapon.
Curse. This javelin is cursed. If the bearer has relations (determined by the DM) with another individual who is not the creator, the bearer is cursed. The next time the wielder rolls initiative while cursed, they have disadvantage on any attack rolls made with this weapon for an hour.

I mean, all this is going to do is just make a javelin that misses on it's next attack, and never really get picked up again, especially if they have another means of getting a magic weapon.

Drascin
2018-01-12, 06:24 AM

Say, is the fact that being gay lets you completely sidestep the curse part of the joke? Like Ilatan didn't actually think of that when making the curse so having relations with dudes does not trigger it?

Cause that adds to the amusement for me, actually. And RAW-lawyering curses is a wellknown fantasy tradition!

Wilb
2018-01-12, 07:08 AM
Say, is the fact that being gay lets you completely sidestep the curse part of the joke? Like Ilatan didn't actually think of that when making the curse so having relations with dudes does not trigger it?

Cause that adds to the amusement for me, actually. And RAW-lawyering curses is a wellknown fantasy tradition!

Women may also get it and even have families with no problems it seems. Imagine it being passed through the women of a family, with men wielding it considered to be under a curse unless celibate, for some reason (until they find out that gay men are also immune to it).

The irony of it being considered a sacred weapon for women while really being fruit of an insanely jealous woman would be just crazy :smallbiggrin: .

Ninja_Prawn
2018-01-12, 08:00 AM
I mean, all this is going to do is just make a javelin that misses on its next attack, and never really get picked up again

Well, javelins can be used in melee, but I agree with the general point. Making this a commonly-thrown weapon was probably a mistake. That's why I made my version give you disadvantage on everything. That way it's like, once you've triggered the curse, you've got some serious problems.

Joe the Rat
2018-01-12, 08:10 AM
Give it a "returning" property - not "end of turn/beginning of next turn" returning, but self-retrieving at the end of battle (just appears in your javelin-holder). That's not an uncommon trait for curse weapons.

So would the Dwarven take on this be a battle-axe or a flail? Though the idea of philandering dwarf does run counter to the typical depictions of the culture.

Fri
2018-01-12, 08:13 AM
If it's on purpose, I think having the weapon that symbolizes your marriage is something that's used by being thrown away, means a lot:smallbiggrin:

Vogie
2018-01-12, 02:35 PM
The problem is "relationships" isn't a term that is recognised by the game

I don't know, they did recently add Ceremony as a spell in XGtE... so marriage, technically, is recognized in the game.

Vaz
2018-01-12, 03:12 PM
I don't think that Ilatan is necessarily worried about someone getting a cheeky ceremony, euphemism's aside.

Sigreid
2018-01-12, 03:15 PM
Sounds more like a Javelin of Jelousy to me.

Davrix
2018-01-12, 03:41 PM

As a Gay dragonborn Paladin, I approve of this joke LOL