PDA

View Full Version : Can I Ride A Firbolg?

the_brazenburn
2018-01-12, 12:13 PM
According to Volo's Guide, a firbolg counts as Large for purposes of determining carrying ratios and whatnot. Does this also qualify it as Large enough to be ridden as a steed? I think it could for a Small character, but not a Medium. Your opinions?

GlenSmash!
2018-01-12, 12:15 PM
According to Volo's Guide, a firbolg counts as Large for purposes of determining carrying ratios and whatnot. Does this also qualify it as Large enough to be ridden as a steed? I think it could for a Small character, but not a Medium. Your opinions?

By the rules any Medium creature could be a mount for a Small character. The Powerful Build feature doesn't really effect that.

suplee215
2018-01-12, 12:19 PM
Remember to get consent first.

the_brazenburn
2018-01-12, 12:19 PM
By the rules any Medium creature could be a mount for a Small character. The Powerful Build feature doesn't really effect that.

But do the mounting rules say anything about bipeds vs. quadrupeds? They did in 3.5.

suplee215
2018-01-12, 12:23 PM
But do the mounting rules say anything about bipeds vs. quadrupeds? They did in 3.5.

No. The rules only mention size.

GlenSmash!
2018-01-12, 12:28 PM
Remember to get consent first.

Also good advice.

JNAProductions
2018-01-12, 12:33 PM

I'd say that, for a Small character, you can ride them. Small is smaller than Medium.

For a Medium character, you can't ride them, but you can probably be carried by them.

GlenSmash!
2018-01-12, 12:50 PM
I'd say that, for a Small character, you can ride them. Small is smaller than Medium.

For a Medium character, you can't ride them, but you can probably be carried by them.

I agree with this, since the Firbolg, Goliath etc is still a medium creature, even if it does have Powerful Build.

Lord8Ball
2018-01-12, 12:59 PM
I am getting a picture in my head of a halfling with mount feats and the magic saddle riding a barbarian.

Quoz
2018-01-12, 01:17 PM
Small riding medium is definitely viable. Just beware the problems of having separate initiatives - particularly if your table uses a grid or is more tactics heavy. Since the rider won't be moving during their own turn, you need extra care to make sure you have targets available. Archers and casters should be fine, melee fighters should look strongly at reach weapons to increase their options (Since most reach weapons are heavy, whip is a good backup choice). Don't fall into the trap of a lance, the disad vs adjacent creatures is going to leave you trapped more often than not.

Kobolds deserve special mention here, with pack tactics they will always have advantage since you have two allies in the same square.

Ivor_The_Mad
2018-01-12, 02:15 PM
PLEASE PLEASE leave the firbolg alone. NO. PLEASE. Why why do you want to ride him.

GlenSmash!
2018-01-12, 02:34 PM
PLEASE PLEASE leave the firbolg alone. NO. PLEASE. Why why do you want to ride him.

Save a horse ride a Firbolg?

Vaz
2018-01-12, 04:08 PM
Being carried on the shoulders of a character doesn't mean that you are 'riding'. This is an ask your DM situation.

Zanthy1
2018-01-12, 05:14 PM
Can you imagine the gnome/halfing with mounted combatant riding the firbolg spellcaster? all attacks targeting the firbolg can target the gnome/halfing instead. Make them high hp, high ac and such and you got a pretty solid defense for your squishy lol

Mjolnirbear
2018-01-12, 05:17 PM
I'm reasonably certain the rules mention 'appropriate anatomy'. But you could put a Gnome into a baby backpack.

GlenSmash!
2018-01-12, 06:00 PM
I'm reasonably certain the rules mention 'appropriate anatomy'. But you could put a Gnome into a baby backpack.

I'n my LMoP campaign our halfling rode in a Baby Bjorn carried by another character.

Tiadoppler
2018-01-12, 06:02 PM
By RAW, would a Small PC in a baby backpack be considered Immobilized or Restrained? I'm concerned about AC penalties re: inability to dodge, and re: inability to move arms freely.

Vaz
2018-01-12, 06:23 PM
There are no rules oddly enough to represent a swaddled baby within an adventuring game.

GlenSmash!
2018-01-12, 06:34 PM
There are no rules oddly enough to represent a swaddled baby within an adventuring game.

We are indeed very firmly in "ask your DM" territory. There is no RAW in sight.

Tiadoppler
2018-01-12, 06:38 PM

Huh. Maybe in a future book. Seems like an odd oversight :P

I would not rule that a halfling in a carrier was able to defend himself and launch attacks as well as a mounted knight, but that's just me. Now, if you want to talk about armored jogging strollers, I'm right there with you.

MadBear
2018-01-12, 06:50 PM
So pretty much this:
https://cmonfanboy.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/Kirag_Thorg_Resin_2.png

https://cmonfanboy.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/Kirag_Thorg_Resin_2.png

Ivor_The_Mad
2018-01-12, 08:08 PM

That, that is a good campaign slogan.

Arkhios
2018-01-13, 04:34 AM

I read this: Slay a horse, ride a Firbolg. (Mmmm, delicious mettwurst)

jojo
2018-01-13, 05:59 AM
In 5E horses and other common mounts are Medium creatures so it would seem that size matters not...

However Mastiffs (Dogs) are also Medium creatures but can only carry Small or Tiny riders... so it would seem that size matters.

Both of those creatures are quadrupeds in addition to being Medium but cannot both carry other Medium creatures...

:confused:

I would suggest though that it's not possible to "Ride" another Player Character since doing so implies that the "Rider" is controlling the "Mount's" actions, whereas obviously a PC is going to do what they want to do so carrying should be fine but riding shouldn't regardless of Powerful Frame.

hymer
2018-01-13, 06:43 AM
In 5E horses and other common mounts are Medium creatures so it would seem that size matters not...

Ponies may be medium, but draught, riding and war horses are all size large.

As for the rules on mounts and riding, there is just slight specificity, landing it squarely in 'ask your DM' territory. PHB. p. 198 under Mounted Combat states that

A willing creature that is at least one size larger than you and that has an appropriate anatomy can serve as a mount[...]
I'd not rule a humanoid as having the proper anatomy for a mount, but it will be up to tour DM.

the_brazenburn
2018-01-13, 12:34 PM
I'd not rule a humanoid as having the proper anatomy for a mount, but it will be up to tour DM.

I could put a tiny howdah on his back and ride in that?

Tiadoppler
2018-01-13, 12:39 PM

Hmm. Wouldn't a howdah still have to be placed in a position analogous to a saddle? A howdah on the back of a standing humanoid would be tilted 90 degrees up. A Tiny character could probably ride a Medium humanoid from a saddle or howdah mounted on the top of the head, like a crown or large hat covered in fruit.

Could a Tiny PC Rogue make a hide check by concealing themselves in the decorations of a large hat that is currently being worn by a Medium PC? We need an official ruling on this.

Vaz
2018-01-13, 12:47 PM

Bro, we ain't your DM. Go talk with the dude who actually matters.

Lvl 2 Expert
2018-01-14, 03:55 AM
He'll let you if you name him Hodor.

JellyPooga
2018-01-14, 04:06 AM
Could a Tiny PC Rogue make a hide check by concealing themselves in the decorations of a large hat that is currently being worn by a Medium PC? We need an official ruling on this.

More importantly, could a Lightfoot Halfling hide behind another Halfling by using Naturally Stealthy if that other Halfling was wearing a big enough fruit-hat? The ramifications are key to my next campaign! :smalltongue:

hamishspence
2018-01-14, 07:13 AM
In 3.0, a point was made in Arms & Equipment Guide of how goblins could ride ogres - typically carrying crossbows and acting as "tailgunners".

So, I'd go with "it's possible - if there's a reasonable size gap."

hymer
2018-01-14, 08:53 AM
More importantly, could a Lightfoot Halfling hide behind another Halfling by using Naturally Stealthy if that other Halfling was wearing a big enough fruit-hat? The ramifications are key to my next campaign! :smalltongue:

Can a lightfoot halfling hide behind a wood elf hiding in the rain?

JellyPooga
2018-01-14, 09:48 AM
Can a lightfoot halfling hide behind a wood elf hiding in the rain?

A question for the philosopers. No-one will ever truly know.

Ivor_The_Mad
2018-01-14, 10:02 AM
Bro, we ain't your DM. Go talk with the dude who actually matters.

Yes do that thats a good idea.