PDA

View Full Version : power attack + spirited charge + lance... how do I figure out the bonus damage?

dehro
2018-01-12, 12:59 PM
I am trying to figure out the damage output with my next character, a charging fighter on horseback and am in a bit of a pickle understanding how to apply the feats and weapon properties to get the right numbers:

power attack states:

Special
If you attack with a two-handed weapon, or with a one-handed weapon wielded in two hands, instead add twice the number subtracted from your attack rolls.

spirited charge states:

Benefit
When mounted and using the charge action, you deal double damage with a melee weapon (or triple damage with a lance).

Lance states:
A lance deals double damage when used from the back of a charging mount. It has reach, so you can strike opponents 10 feet away with it, but you can’t use it against an adjacent foe.
While mounted, you can wield a lance with one hand.

now.. my character has 18 strength, so a +4 on attack rolls and damage.
he also has weapon focus on the lance, so another +1 on attack roll..
also, BAB 6, hence: 6+4+1=11

so.. on a charge, he rolls a d20 and adds 13 (because charge= +2)

damage dealt is x3 because of the charge with a lance and spirited charge feat... so 1d8+4 x3 (or is it 3(1d8)+4? that always confuses me)
but what happens if I crit?

case nr 2, if I add power attack to the mix.
what happens?
let's say I power attack for 5 points.

the attack roll on the spirited charge with my lance becomes: 1d20+8.
the damage however...???
1d8+4+5 because I'm considering that I am holding the lance with 1 hand so the "x2 for two handed weapons" doesn't count?
or is it 1d8+4+10 because it's still a two handed weapon even though under these circumstances I get to use it with one (maybe the fact that I'm on horseback compensates through sheer weight of the steed?)
and which parts of the damage get tripled because of it? the whole thing including the power attack? or just the base attack?
does it look like this:
(1d8+5+4)x3?
like this:
1d8+10+4)x3?
like this:
(1d8+5)x3+4?
like this:
1d8+10)x3)+4?
like this:
(1d8)x3+5+4?
or like this:
(1d8)x3+10+4?

and what the heck happens if I crit?

Fouredged Sword
2018-01-12, 01:29 PM
Multiplication in 3.5 is always additive. If an attack deals 3x (+200%)weapon damage on a charge and 2x(+100%) damage on a crit it will deal 4x damage (+300%) on a crit that is also a charge. Spirited charge 3x damage with a lance is just explaining that it stacks its own 2x with the 2x lances get by default.

Damage multipliers apply to the rolled weapon damage and any FIXED extra damage. It does not apply to any extra damage that is rolled, only fixed amounts. Both your strength bonus and power attack add.damage as fixed damage bonuses.

When wielding a lance one hended you gain 1xstr mod extra damage from str and a bonus equal to the penalty of extra damage from power attack. If you wield it two handed you get 1.5str mod (round down) and 2x the power attack penalty.

These are fixed bonuses and are multiplied by the spirited charge feat. So is the bonus +2 damage you get from charging.

For example with a lance 1d8, rolling a 4 for the damage, 18 str, and 2 points of power attack penalty.

One handed
Roll 4, add 2 for charging, 4 for your strength mod, then 2 for power attack - 12, now multiply by 3 (36) for a normal attack and 5 (60) for a crit (lances are 3x crit weapons)

If wielding two handed
4 for the roll, plus 2 for charge, 6 for your strength, 4 for power attack - 16. Multiply by 3 (48) for a normal hit, 5 (80) for a crit.

Hope that helps.

Note, there are more things to modify your damage. Remeber the rule, roll the weapon damage die, add any unrolled damage bonuses, mumtiply, THEN roll and add variable bonuses.

For example, a.+1 flaming lance adds +1 damage from the +1 and +1d6 fire damage from flaming. The +1 is a fixed addition and multiplied. The 1d6 is rolled and thus is not.

More confusing, if something added 1d6+int damage or something like that, the whole value 1d6+int is considered variable, and not multiplied.