PDA

View Full Version : One more try at creating a Sorcerous origine - druid-themed this time...

samcifer
2018-01-12, 04:58 PM
Okay, I wondered if a druid-sorcerous theme would be interesting. Tried to make the effects more creative. Left out flavor text as I rushed this a bit while at work. Please be kind in replies and advice:

Wilderness Sorcerous Origin

L1=

At One with Nature: You gain proficiency in the Nature and Survival skills.
You gain the Firbolg racial power Speech of Beast and Leaf.

Nature Magic: When choosing cantrips and/or spells, you may choose spells from the Druid spell list as well as from the Sorcerer spell list. Druid spells chosen are treated as Sorcerer spells for you.

L6=

Natural Cleansing: You may remove any Diseased or Poisoned condition from any one creature or plant by spending 3 Sorcery Points and touching the chosen creature. For the next 8 hours, they have advantage on any rolls made against any effect that bestows the Diseased or Poisoned conditions.

Natural Predator: When using spells that require a ranged spell attack roll, you take no penalties if the target of the attack has partial or three-quarters cover if the cover is provided by any form of vegetation.

L14=

Hardy Nature: You gain resistance against bludgeoning, piercing and slashing damage.
You can spend 6 Sorcery points when you restore hit points to any one creature using a spell, the target gains 1 additional HP per Sorcerer level you currently possess. This ability can only be used if the target of the healing spell ihas only half or less of their maximum HP. This effect can only be used once per long rest.

L18=

Nature's Grasp: Spend 5 Sorcery points. A number of creatures you choose within 40 feet of you equal to your Charisma modifier or less must make a Strength check. On a failed save, they are restrained. During the creature's turn, they may make a Strength check to free themselves. If there is any plant life within 30 feet of you when using this ability, the targeted creatures have disadvantage on all rolls made against this ability. You may use this ability only once per long rest.

SkylarkR6
2018-01-12, 08:46 PM
You had me right up until Hardy Nature. Resistant to B/P/S AND you get to boost healing that much. Kinda out of line with the others unless you like free wings a lot

MrStabby
2018-01-12, 08:52 PM
Yeah, I agree the level 14 ability is a bit crazy-good.

I would also allow the level 6 ability to work on plants.

Errata
2018-01-12, 09:17 PM
Using Divine Soul as a guideline (which is a strong subclass), even the level 1 ability offers a lot.

The druid spell list plus At One With Nature seems like plenty without the Predator ability also all frontloaded at level 1.

The level 6 ability seems a bit situational for a subclass feature like this. It seems more like something they could accomplish by learning a druid spell if they wanted this ability sometimes.
The level 18 also seems a bit overly specific and better handled with Druid spells, though more versatile than the level 6 ability.

Agreed that 14 is too powerful.

Maybe at level 6 allow them to spend 2 sorcery points as a use of the druid wild shape ability. Their level for the sake of wild shape is as if they have druid levels equal to half their sorceror level (rounded down). So at level 6, they wild shape like a level 3 druid (and it stacks with any druid levels they may have), including restrictions on flying or swimming forms. While in wild shape they may use sorcerer spells that do not require material components, but must pass a concentration check prior to doing so. If the check fails they keep their spell slot, but the action is wasted. They may not cast a spell while already maintaining concentration on another. Alternatively, they may spend 1 sorcery point to cast a spell without extra concentration requirements.

samcifer
2018-01-12, 09:47 PM
I made a few changes, such as limiting the use of the L14 ability and moving Natural Predator to L6. Let me know what you think.

I avoided wings for L14 because there are other subclasses for sorcs that have it and there are spells that grant flight. I also avoided giving it Wild Shape because I felt it would make the subclass too powerful.