PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Wraith walker: ranger conclave PEACH

Requilac
2018-01-12, 05:48 PM
Hello there everybody, here I am again presenting you with another homebrew class for D&D 5e, the wraithwalker (http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/BylKx1MYM). This time around I have made a ranger sub-class based around using ghostly powers. I stole features from a bunch of different ghost like creatures from the MM such as the ghost, wraith, shadow and banshee. Originally it was meant to be a a lovecraftian ranger sub-class, but I got sidetracked and ended turning it into something closer to a gothic ranger sub-class. Everything you need to know is in the document below. I am more than a little skeptical about most of the features, especially wail of death, so everything is open to change. Any suggestions on how to impove the class are very appreciated.

Blackbando
2018-01-13, 02:08 AM
Oh boy, let's get into this.

Mist Walker Magic
Seems fine.

Ethereal Sight
Not sure how I feel about this. 60 feet of seeing invisible things at 3rd level's a pretty big deal. Maybe reduce the radius of sight?

The Reaper's Harvest
Reducing the hit point maximum of creatures so easily is terrifying as all hell, and I don't think it's a good idea to make it like this. The bane attack effect might be a bit much, too. Maybe keep the 1/turn necrotic, up the damage die (maybe scale it with level), and have the hit point maximum be reduced by that, instead?

Fade into the Darkness
Free actions aren't a thing in 5e, it'd be (no action required), but otherwise it looks fine.

Wail of Death
This should probably have an actual range aside from "if it can hear you". Looks good, aside from that, though.

Incorporeal Movement
I like it. Would like to note that if the effect ends while inside an object you aren't shunted outwards, and so, become trapped until someone lets you out.

Requilac
2018-01-13, 08:25 AM
Oh boy, let's get into this.

Ethereal Sight
Not sure how I feel about this. 60 feet of seeing invisible things at 3rd level's a pretty big deal. Maybe reduce the radius of sight?

I don’t think being able to see invisible things seems that overpowered really. A lot of classes get a similar feature, such as the rogue and ranger, albeit at higher levels. But yes, I shall decrease the radius. Making the range limited to 10 feet should balance it quite well.

The Reaper's Harvest
Reducing the hit point maximum of creatures so easily is terrifying as all hell, and I don't think it's a good idea to make it like this. The bane attack effect might be a bit much, too. Maybe keep the 1/turn necrotic, up the damage die (maybe scale it with level), and have the hit point maximum be reduced by that, instead?

That was the original concept actually, but the issue is that giving something that much of a flat benefit to DPR is rather questionable. Rangers do get several complaints about being bad in combat though. Hmm, yes I think I will take that idea. An extra 1d4 necrotic damage per turn that reduces their hit point maximum is fair. I will have it scale by another 1d4 each time they get a new feature.

Fade into the Darkness
Free actions aren't a thing in 5e, it'd be (no action required), but otherwise it looks fine.

I was aware of that, I just did it for the sake of simplicity. I will change around my wording though if it throws people off.

Wail of Death
This should probably have an actual range aside from "if it can hear you". Looks good, aside from that, though.

I meant to include a range, I just forgot. The range is now 60 feet, the same range as power word kill.

Incorporeal Movement
I like it. Would like to note that if the effect ends while inside an object you aren't shunted outwards, and so, become trapped until someone lets you out.

Neither of those were going to happen actually. I was going to make it so that they could actually end their turn in the wall or alike without being shunted out or trapped. They do take a hefty 20 damage though if they do that, so staying inside of an object is not the best of all ideas. If that was unclear I will add that clause in.