PDA

View Full Version : Wanna-be paladin build

Mitchellnotes
2018-01-12, 05:50 PM
Hey all,

I'm hoping for some help! I have a character concept, and some ideas, but want to see if there are other options. This may have been "done" before, but i'm kind of excited about it. The idea is essentially a character who wants so badly to be a paladin, but lacks the ability to adhere to an oath either to lack of discipline or bc they keep being pulled from the path. Hey would pull thier powers either from the gods taking pity on someone trying so hard, or from another source pretending to be divinity. This idea was inspired by someone on the board considering a celestial warlock a "short rest paladin" (sorry i cant directly attribute the quote!) The hope is to emulate as many of the paladin abilities without any levels in paladin. The features to mimic would be smites, spells, mounted combat, and laying on hands, with medium armor and at least some martial weapons.

Races could be halfling, tiefling, aasimar, or half elf depending upon if the build could benefit either from elvish accuracy or realistically use a mount.

My ideas so far are:

Valor bard taking mostly paladin spells, maybe with a dip in life cleric- the most straightforward, medium armor, shield, and paladin spells with "buffs" in the form of bonus die

Lore bard with hexblade dip- again, medium armor and martial weapons, could steal paladin spells, probably overall better than the first option (would use booming blade as a "smite"). Probably best for elvish accuracy potential

Celestial warlock w/ blade pact and a dip (life cleric, fighter, other??)- lay on hands with bonus heals and smite potential, but i hate the idea of dipping just for armor, weapon profs (i guess dwarf could fix that)

Hexblade lock- odd fit flavorwise, but could get smites

Zealot barbarian 5/celestial lock- can't kerp concentration, but could focus on smiting with reckless attack? Raging with bonus action heals seems good, armlr of agathys seems golden here maybe?

What do people think? Other ideas?