PDA

View Full Version : My 5e sorcerer redesign (PEACH)

Garfunion
2018-01-12, 07:19 PM
I wanted the sorcerers class to really stand out more than the other caster classes. So I implemented the spell point variant(as sorcery points) and made a few more additional changes.

Please help me balance the class.

Hit Points
Unchanged, same as original sorcerer.

Proficiencies

Equipment

Font of Magic(1st level)

An event in your past, or in the life of a parent or ancestor, left an indelible mark on you, infusing you with arcane magic. This font of magic, whatever its origin, fuels your spells.

•Cantrips
Unchanged, same as the original sorcerer.

•Spell Slots
Just to be sure, this version of sorcerer doesn't have normal spell slot progression.

•Sorcery Points
You tap into a deep wellspring of magic within yourself. This wellspring is represented by sorcery points, which allow you to create a variety of magical effects.

You have 4 sorcery points, and you gain more as you reach higher levels, as shown in the Sorcery Points table. You can never have more sorcery points than shown on the table for your level. You regain all spent sorcery points when you finish a long rest.

Sorcery Points
———————————
Sorcerer Sorcery
Level Points
1st 4
2nd 6
3rd 14
4th 17
5th 27
6th 32
7th 38
8th 44
9th 57
10th 64
11th 73
12th 73
13th 83
14th 83
15th 94
16th 94
17th 107
18th 114
19th 123
20th 133

•Flexible Casting
You can use your sorcery points to create spell slots. You learn other ways to use your sorcery points as you reach higher levels.

•Creating Spell Slots
As part of casting a spell, you can transform unexpended sorcery points into one spell slot. Whether you succeed or fail at casting a spell using this spell slot, the spell slot is spent. The Creating Spell Slots table shows the cost of creating a spell slot of a given level and show what Sorcerer level you must be to create the spell slot. You can create spell slots no higher in level than 5th.

Spell slots of 6th level or higher are particularly taxing to create. You can use sorcery points to create one slot of each level of 6th or higher. You can't create another slot at the same level until you finish a long rest.

Creating Spell Slots
———————————————
Sorcerer Spell Slot Sorcery
Level Level Point Cost
1st 1st 2
2nd 2nd 3
4th 3rd 5
6th 4th 6
8th 5th 7
10th 6th 9
12th 7th 10
14th 8th 11
16th 9th 13

•Spells Known of 1st Level and Higher
Additional note: Just because you have access to a higher spell slot, you still progress with your spells known as other casters.

•Spellcasting Ability

•Spellcasting Focus
You can use an arcane focus as a spellcasting focus for your sorcerer spells.

Sorcerous Origin(1st level)

Metamagic(3rd level)

Ability Score Improvement(4th level)

Spontaneous Discovery(5th level)
Sorcerers are always practicing with the raw power they possess. This can sometimes lead to discovering spells they normally would not be able to learn.

Starting at 5th level, a sorcerer may choose one cantrip and one 1st level spell from one of the following class’ spell list; cleric, druid, and sorcerer (they not need to come from the same spell list). These spells are sorcerer spells for you and do not count toward your normal cantrip/spells known. You learn additional spontaneous discovery spells at a higher level. At 9th level you learn a 2nd level spell, at 13th level you learn a 3rd level spell, and at 17th level you learn a 4th level spell.

Sorcerous Mastery(20th level)
At 20th level, spell slots you create without any metamagic applied, have their sorcery point cost reduced by 1.

Eragon123
2018-01-12, 07:44 PM
I love your capstone and think it should also apply to metamagic spells (just the base cost no double dipping).

I have a system for wild magic if you are interested.

Anytime you spend Sorcery points, you gain an equal amount of Instability Counters. You then roll a 1d20+ Number of Instability Counters vs DC 20 check. If you succeed you perform a wild magic surge.

EDIT: Also I remove all restrictions from Extend Spell.

Double Edit: Storm Sorcerer can either use a bonus action or spend a sorcery point after casting a 1st level spell or higher to gain their fly speed.

Composer99
2018-01-12, 08:08 PM
The spell point totals from the DMG, which you appear to be using, don't include the extra sorcery points the sorcerer gets, so your sorcerer doesn't have the core class' juju until it gets discounted at 20th level. Until then, using metamagic leaves you with fewer spell slots compared to other full casters, which seems contrary to the sorcerer's nature.

Incidentally, it's a nice capstone feature, although it might be overpowered if you added in the normal sorcery point allotment.

Garfunion
2018-01-12, 08:26 PM
The capstone is not my idea. I stole it from another sorcerer redesign atempt.

Garfunion
2018-01-25, 12:10 PM
Bump. Need more input.

Kane0
2018-01-25, 03:35 PM
Looks good mate!

Some thoughts:
- if you take out the extra sorcery points that the stock sorc uses for metamagic you’ll need to deal with the increased strain on the sorcs resources. Something like the wizards arcane recovery can go a long way to keeping the sorc from burning through his sorcery points too fast without just making a bugger pool to nova with.
- are you going to be adding in more to do with metamagic? Its sort of the selling point of the class, its a shame that they get so little for the biggest part of their career.
- spontaneous learning is great, but may or may not annoy any bard players at your table for stealing their trick. At the levels you get it, why not open ot up a little so its something like a spell of 2nd or lower then 4th / 6th / 8th or lower? Also, why not add wizard to the list they can add from?

Mortis_Elrod
2018-01-25, 04:52 PM
Looks good mate!
- spontaneous learning is great, but may or may not annoy any bard players at your table for stealing their trick. At the levels you get it, why not open ot up a little so its something like a spell of 2nd or lower then 4th / 6th / 8th or lower? Also, why not add wizard to the list they can add from?

Hey bards didn't invent stealing spells. If anything Rogues should be mad at both of these. Stealing is their thing.

Garfunion
2018-01-25, 04:54 PM
Looks good mate!

Some thoughts:
- if you take out the extra sorcery points that the stock sorc uses for metamagic you’ll need to deal with the increased strain on the sorcs resources. Something like the wizards arcane recovery can go a long way to keeping the sorc from burning through his sorcery points too fast without just making a bugger pool to nova with.
The sorcerer in my mind shouldn’t be about the amount of spells that they can cast per-day but, more on how they can manipulate their spells. Like the warlock the sorcerer will be falling back on their cantrip use more often, even more so now that they can meta-magic the hell out of them with all the sorcery points they get.

- are you going to be adding in more to do with metamagic? Its sort of the selling point of the class, its a shame that they get so little for the biggest part of their career.
Probably but, as of right now I want to get the base sorcerer cleaned up.

Not really. The warlock has a similar trick with pact of the tome. There are many unique wizard spells (named after wizards) that were created by wizards. I didn’t want the sorcerer to somehow spontaneously discover a spell that took a wizard years to create. I also wanted to keep the book keeping for the sorcerer simple.

Edit: a “cannot” somehow made it in there.

Crisis21
2018-01-25, 09:11 PM
I like almost all of this so far, but I agree that some Sorcery regeneration on a short rest as part of the capstone would be appreciated. Features that restore, even partially, on a Short rest encourage more resource use among adventurers and not stopping for a long rest all the time.

Maybe something like 1/10 your total sorcery points rounded down per short rest.