PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying Advice for roleplaying a barbarian character who's looking to become a chemist?

Dreziv
2018-01-13, 03:43 AM
I play in a public 5e Adventurer's League game at a local shop. Despite it being public, We've lucked out, and we have a regular group of six players, one GM. My character is a level 7 Battlerager Barbarian, and has recently finished the Tyranny in Phlan campaign.

My character is not a particularly smart person, but not dumb as a rock, either. That being said, a major goal of his was to grow one or more extra arms, for better hitting, not caring what the method was.

Having finished Tyranny in Phlan, we've moved onto a new campaign. I'm not familiar with the name of it, but it takes place in Mulmaster. The GM asked us, using inspiration as incentive to roleplay, what our characters had done in between Phlan and Mulmaster. I decided on the spot, that my character wanted to turn to new, scientific methods (or magical, I'm not picky) to advance his plans to arm himself. Also, I thought that it would be interesting to search for new ways to destroy those invincible plants from the end of Tyranny in Phlan.

I thought about how I could further this narrative, and found myself stumped. So I wanted to open it to the public. Greatly appreciate any ideas.

Arkhios
2018-01-13, 03:54 AM
Not exactly Alchemy per se, but I suppose you could reflavor Action Surge and Second Wind from Fighter dip as your chemist's abilities. Picture your use of Second Wind as you swiftly drinking a small vial on your person, regaining hit points, and Action Surge as a means to use your "third" arm to do something fun. RAW, you can't have a third arm that could wield a third weapon or anything, but other than that, you could accomplish something else with it.

opaopajr
2018-01-13, 04:01 AM
Pretty sure AL gave rules on how to use Downtime to develop a Tool Proficiency. Choose something like Alchemist's or Tinker's Tools and pay your requisite downtime.

PS: You won't get a third, usable, arm through AL, however. Of that I am quite sure. :smalltongue:

Ganymede
2018-01-13, 01:53 PM
One of my characters is a Storm Herald barbarian whose background is as a wizard's academy drop-out. She's smart (Int 14) and is proficient in a bunch of lore skills and tools.

It is way easier building a chemist-type theme at character creation than it is to glom it on while playing an in Adventurers' League. You could always use your downtime to get proficiency in alchemists' supplies, though.