PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A 3.5 Rules- Crumble vs Golem

Shugercube
2018-01-13, 12:40 PM
Hi all, I'm hoping for some clarification on the effectiveness of the Crumble spell vs a golem. As golems are immune to spells with spell resistance, and the crumble spell states spell resistance: yes (object). Does that mean that only objects and not creatures have spell resistance? The spell itself specifies it is effective against constructs (which golems are in fact constructs). Would this work, or would the golem's immunity to magic prevent this spell from working? Thanks!

(Crumble is in Spell Compendium pg 56)

Talverin
2018-01-13, 12:55 PM
Golems are Constructs, therefore, by specific ruling (From the text of the spell) the spell effects Golems. It still has to go against their SR, if they have a certain number for SR, but if not, then yes, it works normally.

Necroticplague
2018-01-13, 01:04 PM
Hi all, I'm hoping for some clarification on the effectiveness of the Crumble spell vs a golem. As golems are immune to spells with spell resistance, and the crumble spell states spell resistance: yes (object). Does that mean that only objects and not creatures have spell resistance?
No. It's an indicator that the spell affects objects, which normally use the SR and saves of the one possessing them. For reference, see a similar section elsewhere.

Even these spells are not generally subject to spell resistance because they affect the objects, not the creatures against which the objects are used. Spell resistance works against magic stone only if the creature with spell resistance is holding the stones when the cleric casts magic stone on them.
Magic Stone, having similar SR:Yes (harmless, object), the latter of which makes it similar to Crumble.

So, SR: Object means that if the object is possessed, it's possessor's SR applies. So that part is only relevant when targeting objects.

The spell itself specifies it is effective against constructs (which golems are in fact constructs). Would this work, or would the golem's immunity to magic prevent this spell from working? Thanks!

It's still an SR: yes spell, so it's stopped by their magic immunity. The fact it can also affect objects is irrelevant.

KillianHawkeye
2018-01-13, 01:06 PM
Necroticplague is correct.

There are many constructs that you could use this spell against which don't have the magic immunity trait common to golems.

Shugercube
2018-01-13, 01:57 PM
No. It's an indicator that the spell affects objects, which normally use the SR and saves of the one possessing them. For reference, see a similar section elsewhere.

Magic Stone, having similar SR:Yes (harmless, object), the latter of which makes it similar to Crumble.

So, SR: Object means that if the object is possessed, it's possessor's SR applies. So that part is only relevant when targeting objects.

It's still an SR: yes spell, so it's stopped by their magic immunity. The fact it can also affect objects is irrelevant.

Thank you for the detailed breakdown! That is exactly what I was looking for. Bummed it won't work, but I understand what it means now. Thanks again!