PDA

View Full Version : Help with character choice and optimization

Qbertt5681
2018-01-13, 03:35 PM
Hey guys, this forum helped me a lot with my last character and since I'm starting up another campaign I wanted to ask for advice again. Both games are every other week so it shouldn't be an issue. Keep in mind I am still new, other game is my first campaign.

This game we are starting at lvl 7. We could roll for stats or take their default array which is slightly different than the phb.

I rolled 14 11 9 16 12 11, I also get to add +1 to 2 different stats bc he has some algorithm to try and balance stats to within a SD or something like that. This is in addition to w/e racial bonus's I pick. This is the default array 15, 14, 13, 12, 9, 9.

I had 2 ideas I wanted to try. The first was a fighter 1/bladelock x+ of the fiend. The idea I had envisioned in my head was a tribal half orc and some sort of back story to explain his pact that is part of his tribes shamanistic tradition that they make this pact in order to keep some sort of evil sealed away. I was really looking forward to playing this guy however I wish my stats were just a little better to make it work. I asked if I could take one of the other players rolls and copy them bc they were really good but he said no. :-(.

The other idea was my original fighter(or ranger)/rogue multi class. I was going to try this guy in the other game but DM said no MC in that one so i dropped it. The stats probably work a bit better for this since its mostly SAD. Wasn't as excited about it but maybe I can save my other idea for another time. The only problem is we have a ranger in the group, and he at first he said he would change to str based since I was going archery. We talked a bit I told him I was willing to change if it stepped on his toes. At the end he said he was going to go archer anyway and didn't care.

Any wisdom?

Edit/Update: Ok so update with more info as I started creating my character and maybe I can get some help optimizing him. I decided to go UA Revised ranger with Gloom stalker 5/rogue 2

It seems my first array is the better one, and if I go normal human I lose one feat/ASI, however, It rounds out the numbers to look a lot prettier.

12, 18, 16, 10, 13, 12 OR 12 18 14 10 15 12

That is using the +1 to all stats from base human. That is also using the "free" +1 I get to 2 stats. If I need to round out wisdom I can take resil wisdom.
I don't know if it is better to have higher CON and lower WIS or other way around. Gloom stalker lets me add my wisdom modifier to initiative.

I took sharpshooter feat at Ranger lvl 4.

I took soldier background and DM let me modify the skills. I took acrobatics, athletics, deception, insight, perception, stealth, survival. I expertise stealth and thieves tools. But I am thinking I should change that to stealth and perception. Should I take deception, intimidation or persuasion for social skill? Or do you think I need investigation instead?

Suggestions on ranger spells? Anything else you would change?

Gardakan
2018-01-13, 03:39 PM
You could make great use of the Swashbuckler feature from the rogue.

Fighter 5/Rogue 2 (going into Swashbuckler) makes for a great melee character.

Cunning Action + Attack Twice means you have plenty of mobility.

Qbertt5681
2018-01-13, 05:06 PM
You could make great use of the Swashbuckler feature from the rogue.

Fighter 5/Rogue 2 (going into Swashbuckler) makes for a great melee character.

Cunning Action + Attack Twice means you have plenty of mobility.

I'm playing a polearm fighter in my other game, so I was actually wanting to switch it up and be ranged. Unless of course I played the bladelock, I'd make the exception for that.

My thoughts were BM fighter 6/rogue x+ or gloomstalker ranger 5/rogue x+ with sharpshooter feat. The thought I had was sort of a special forces type fighter.

Qbertt5681
2018-01-14, 05:02 PM
Ok so update with more info as I started creating my character and maybe I can get some help optimizing him. I decided to go UA Revised ranger with Gloom stalker 5/rogue 2

It seems my first array is the better one, and if I go normal human I lose one feat/ASI, however, It rounds out the numbers to look a lot prettier.

12, 18, 16, 10, 13, 12 OR 12 18 14 10 15 12

That is using the +1 to all stats from base human. That is also using the "free" +1 I get to 2 stats. If I need to round out wisdom I can take resil wisdom.
I don't know if it is better to have higher CON and lower WIS or other way around. Gloom stalker lets me add my wisdom modifier to initiative.

I took sharpshooter feat at Ranger lvl 4.

I took soldier background and DM let me modify the skills. I took acrobatics, athletics, deception, insight, perception, stealth, survival. I expertise stealth and thieves tools. But I am thinking I should change that to stealth and perception. Should I take deception, intimidation or persuasion for social skill? Or do you think I need investigation instead?

Suggestions on ranger spells? Anything else you would change?

Qbertt5681
2018-01-15, 10:24 AM
What are your thoughts of importance of higher con vs higher wis? Taking reslient wis or resilient con? And sharpshooter vs dex ASI vs resilient priority? I start with 1 feat and will get a second one at rogue lvl 4, but after that it's a long wait until rogue 8 so total lvl 13.

I realize human variant would help me avoid the feat/ASI conundrum and I can start with 2 feats or 20 dex, and an extra skill. However for some reason it bothers me to have so many odd stats when I can round that out with base human. Maybe I am looking at it wrong.

BobZan
2018-01-15, 10:49 AM
A nice Warlock/Fighter Gish build would be.

V. Human -> Sentinel or Tough

Fighter 1

FS: Defense

AC: Studded Leather + Shield + Defense = 10+2+4+2+1=19
Weapons: Melee - Rapier / Ranged - Crossbow or Longbow

Warlock 1 - Fiend Patron

Cantrips: Eldritch Blast, GreenFlame Blade
Spells: Hellish Rebuke, Hex

Warlock 2

Spells: Protection from Evil and Good
Invocations: Fiendish Vigor or Devil's Sight + Armor of Shadows (CA 20)

Fighter 2

Fighter 3 - Eldritch Knight

Here you'll learn 2 darn good tanking spells: Absorb Elements and Shield. Note: you can't cast them holding a sword. You're good damage-wise because you have GFB and BB.

Cantrips: Booming Blade + Sword Burst or Light
Spells: Absorb Elements, Shield + one of: Mage Armor, Find Familiar, Longstrider, Expeditious Retreat or Feather Fall

Fighter 4 -
Warcaster Feat

Fighter 5 -
Extra Attack

Fighter 6 -
Dex 20

Fighter 7 -
War Magic - Cantrip + Attack

Fighter 8 -
CHA 16

Warlock 3-12