PDA

View Full Version : Charm of Revivification

Arkhios
2018-01-13, 04:18 PM
Last time when I ran a session for my players, they witnessed the resurrection of a goddess who had been dead for millennia, and those who survived a fight afterwards didn't exactly get any tangible reward, so I thought I'd give them a minor supernatural gift (Charm) from the dead goddess' "adversary/rival", through an avatar-ish creature.

Charm of Revivification <name WIP>
Once, when you die, roll a 1d10. On your turn depending on the roll's result, the charm casts Revivify on you and then disappears.

What do you think?

PS. The recently resurrected goddess used to be The Goddess of Death, but after she died millennia ago, there was a sort of power vacuum and the "adversary/rival" (Raven Queen) took over the Old God's portfolio. Now there's likely to be competition or even a world-trembling conflict between the two.

Talamare
2018-01-13, 04:26 PM
What does the roll do?

Roll a d20
Also cast Magic Missile!

Amulet of Immortality
The next time you die, you are restored to 1 hp and incapacitated for d20 hours. During this time, any missing body part is regenerated. As well as you return with d4 levels of Exhaustion. Then the amulet disappears forever.

(WOAH SO MANY PENALTIES)

Arkhios
2018-01-13, 05:19 PM
What does the roll do?

Uhh, it's written right there? "On your turn depending on the roll's result" As in, you roll a 1d10 for how many turns it takes until you are targeted by Revivify. I guess it could be worded more clearly, but that's the idea.

Roll a d20
Also cast Magic Missile!

Amulet of Immortality
The next time you die, you are restored to 1 hp and incapacitated for d20 hours. During this time, any missing body part is regenerated. As well as you return with d4 levels of Exhaustion. Then the amulet disappears forever.

(WOAH SO MANY PENALTIES)
Not sure if that was sarcasm (it's late and I'm tired), but that's not actually half bad.:smallbiggrin:

Marcloure
2018-01-13, 05:22 PM
Uhh, it's written right there? "On your turn depending on the roll's result" As in, you roll a 1d10 for how many turns it takes until you are targeted by Revivify. I guess it could be worded more clearly, but that's the idea.

I didn't understand as well. Depending on the roll's result what? You need to get a 10? Or is that the number of turns for the charm to cast the spell?

Arkhios
2018-01-13, 05:26 PM
I didn't understand as well. Depending on the roll's result what? You need to get a 10? Or is that the number of turns for the charm to cast the spell?

The point was that since Revivify works only when cast within 1 minute (10 rounds) after someone died, so I figured that because the hand of fate might be seen as fickle, it would cast Revivify on you on the turn determined by the result of a 1d10 roll. I guess I'll need some help in wording it so everyone can understand it without questions. Sooo... halp? :smalleek:

How's this?

"Once, when you die, the charm casts Revivify on you after 1d10 rounds at the start of your turn. After this the charm disappears."

Marcloure
2018-01-13, 05:33 PM
Once, when you die, roll 1d10 and start counting your turns. When your counting gets to the number you rolled, the charm casts Revivify on you and then disappears.

I think something like that is clear enough. But it can still be improved.

Talamare
2018-01-13, 05:39 PM

Not sure if that was sarcasm (it's late and I'm tired), but that's not actually half bad.:smallbiggrin:

Uh... Half of it was Sarcasm

The 'Roll a d20, Magic Missile' was sarcasm in that it was insanely unclear what you were rolling your d10 for... if anything at all~

The so many penalties wasn't exactly sarcasm but it was directed toward the terrible amulet I wrote up.

Tanarii
2018-01-13, 05:56 PM
"Once, when you die, the charm casts Revivify on you after 1d10 rounds at the start of your turn. After this the charm disappears."Better. I also couldn't make sense of the 1d10 the first way it was worded.

If the charm is removed before it is cast, does it still work?

Ie does the charm cast the spell 1d10 rounds later, or does it cast it immediately and 1d10 rounds later the effect kicks in and you are revivify-d?

The former means it can be prevented and the later means it can be wasted if the character is revivified in the mean time. As unlikely as either scenario may be.

Also, you should specify "without components" if that is your intent.

Khrysaes
2018-01-13, 06:04 PM
Better. I also couldn't make sense of the 1d10 the first way it was worded.

Ie does the charm cast the spell 1d10 rounds later, or does it cast it immediately and 1d10 rounds later the effect kicks in and you are revivify-d?

The former means it can be prevented and the later means it can be wasted if the character is revivified in the mean time. As unlikely as either scenario may be.

How about

"If you die, after 1d10 rounds you are brought back to life as if from the spell Revivify. Unless you are brought back to life before this effect takes place this charm disappears.'

Arkhios
2018-01-13, 06:23 PM
Better. I also couldn't make sense of the 1d10 the first way it was worded.

The intent is that the spell is cast at 1d10 rounds later from the moment of your death. That's a good point though, and I might add a clause that if the creature is brought back from the dead before the charm activates, it just won't activate until it becomes relevant again.

DMG says that "If a charm lets you cast a spell, you are able to do so without spending a spell slot or providing any components (verbal, somatic, or material). In any case, a charm can't be used in the area created by an antimagic field or a similar effect, and a charm's effects are susceptible to dispel magic and the like. But the charm itself can't be removed from a creature by anything short of divine intervention or the wish spell."

Judging from that, I'd say that if the charm is removed before it is cast, it doesn't work.

DarkKnightJin
2018-01-13, 06:53 PM
Might be easier to give them a 1 time use "when reduced to 0 hitpoints, but not dying outright, you can choose to instead be reduced to 1hp instead".

Though the Contingency: Revivify idea would be pretty cool.
Does it come with a cool mark somewhere on their body, to see if they have the charm still?

Arkhios
2018-01-13, 07:01 PM
Though the Contingency: Revivify idea would be pretty cool.
Does it come with a cool mark somewhere on their body, to see if they have the charm still?

Yup. Since it's a supernatural gift from the Raven Queen's avatar (a raven) it takes the shape and color of a black feather. I'm partial about the idea that it would appear like a tattoo on each character's temple. :)

DarkKnightJin
2018-01-14, 02:10 AM
Yup. Since it's a supernatural gift from the Raven Queen's avatar (a raven) it takes the shape and color of a black feather. I'm partial about the idea that it would appear like a tattoo on each character's temple. :)

I like the idea of that mark. I would let the player(s) choose where it's located on their body, though.
They're likely to place it in spots significant to their characters, which might give you a little more insight into what they're like.
I'd nix any "On mah junk!" shenanigans, but most other places would be alright.

Arkhios
2018-01-14, 06:41 PM
I like the idea of that mark. I would let the player(s) choose where it's located on their body, though.
They're likely to place it in spots significant to their characters, which might give you a little more insight into what they're like.
I'd nix any "On mah junk!" shenanigans, but most other places would be alright.

Although, if you were a mortal in the presence of a deity or its avatar, would you have the gull to protest in a way such as "not muh face!" when a divine gift was given to you? Anyway, it wouldn't be a massive tattoo, covering half of your face or anything, more like the size of your thumbnail, at most.

DarkKnightJin
2018-01-14, 11:58 PM
I'd want them to see it often, on their flesh.
Remind them that they have a charm from me.
They can't see it if it's on their face/head.

Arkhios
2018-01-15, 12:24 AM
I'd want them to see it often, on their flesh.
Remind them that they have a charm from me.
They can't see it if it's on their face/head.

I suppose that's fair. I'll think about it.

Chugger
2018-01-15, 03:16 AM
Why be so mincing and give them something with a limited power?

Why not let it cast Revivify when it's used and be done with it?

I don't understand this mentality - like we have to give half-broken stuff all the time. I mean if you want to do this, sure - it's likely to be cast out of combat - I mean is the point that revivify doesn't work after a minute and so... why not just let it work??? Otherwise it's not a reward, it's a broken reward that sort of could work or let everyone down. Again, if that's what feels like a Costco-sized tub of awesome sauce to you, then heck, go for it. But it doesn't feel like that to me. There is a time and a place for common magic items and really quirky ones, but if you mean to reward them for having done something epic, this is not how to do that imho (just give them one that works without a timer for goodness sakes!!!). :smallbiggrin:

DarkKnightJin
2018-01-15, 03:43 AM
Why be so mincing and give them something with a limited power?

Why not let it cast Revivify when it's used and be done with it?

I don't understand this mentality - like we have to give half-broken stuff all the time. I mean if you want to do this, sure - it's likely to be cast out of combat - I mean is the point that revivify doesn't work after a minute and so... why not just let it work??? Otherwise it's not a reward, it's a broken reward that sort of could work or let everyone down. Again, if that's what feels like a Costco-sized tub of awesome sauce to you, then heck, go for it. But it doesn't feel like that to me. There is a time and a place for common magic items and really quirky ones, but if you mean to reward them for having done something epic, this is not how to do that imho (just give them one that works without a timer for goodness sakes!!!). :smallbiggrin:

It's not that it might not work. It's that the deity granting this boon is giving the party a chance to save their fallen friend and 'save' the boon for a time when they can't get to them in time.
The spell will be cast if the one being dead isn't revived before it takes effect. There's simply a small delay on the spell from the Charm being triggered.
It'll trigger before the window to cast Revivify expires.

Arkhios
2018-01-15, 03:59 AM
I'm not sure if I follow entirely.

Why would it be "half-broken" if it still casts the spell, within the time period it would still take full effect?

In addition to what DarkKnightJin just accurately deduced, I had this thought that since "Fate can be a fickle mistress" it would be reflected upon her gifts as well. Again, how is it "half-broken" if it still does what's intended?

If there was a random chance that it wouldn't work at all, then I would call it half-broken, myself. But there isn't.

But I understand that the random timer might feel unnecessary. I was partial about leaving it out at first, but I thought it would be too strong for 5th-level characters (each) to have a Charm that has the full effect of both Contingency and Revivify. While Revivify is only a 3rd-level spell - something a 5th-level cleric certainly could cast, Contingency is an 8th-level spell, and Revivify has a rather steep cost, all of which, I think, should be accounted for when evaluating something like this.

DarkKnightJin
2018-01-15, 05:34 AM
I'm not sure if I follow entirely.

Why would it be "half-broken" if it still casts the spell, within the time period it would still take full effect?

In addition to what DarkKnightJin just accurately deduced, I had this thought that since "Fate can be a fickle mistress" it would be reflected upon her gifts as well. Again, how is it "half-broken" if it still does what's intended?

If there was a random chance that it wouldn't work at all, then I would call it half-broken, myself. But there isn't.

But I understand that the random timer might feel unnecessary. I was partial about leaving it out at first, but I thought it would be too strong for 5th-level characters (each) to have a Charm that has the full effect of both Contingency and Revivify. While Revivify is only a 3rd-level spell - something a 5th-level cleric certainly could cast, Contingency is an 8th-level spell, and Revivify has a rather steep cost, all of which, I think, should be accounted for when evaluating something like this.

I'd love a failsafe like this, but I'd be kinda paranoid about 'wasting' the magic. I'd try a little harder to not need this safety net. Because one shouldn't just go Leeroy Jenkins simply because "God's on my side, yo".
That's the kinda thing that'll make the fickle mistress of Fate go "Nah. Not worth my power."
I'd want to prove that I'm worth getting that second chance I'm being offered through the Charm.