PDA

View Full Version : hexblade starting gear

Chugger
2018-01-14, 06:02 AM
I just looked through the hexblade section of xgte and saw no mention of special equipment considerations for a starting hexblade. What I mean is that a HB gets medium armor, shield, and use of martial weaps - but if we have to go to the warlock section for equipment in the phb for our hexblade, he starts off w/ leather armor, no shield, and maybe an xbow or simple weapon. Am I missing the part in xgte where it says otherwise, or ... do HB's just have to start weak equipment-wise and earn the better stuff as they adventure?

TundraBuccaneer
2018-01-14, 07:12 AM
I don't think there are any subclasses that have special starting equipment. If you want to start with different equipment you can either ask your DM or roll for starting money with which you can buy gear.

Asmotherion
2018-01-14, 07:25 AM
I don't think there are any subclasses that have special starting equipment. If you want to start with different equipment you can either ask your DM or roll for starting money with which you can buy gear.

Or, alternativelly, if you want to go in a more RP way, literally sell your starting gear and buy whatever you want in game. On an other hand, if you start at a higher level than one, it is logical enough to assume you managed to do so somewere during your time-skip/Dawntime (except in rare cases such as a survival game, or a world like Dark Sun were resources are not expected to be met very often).

LeonBH
2018-01-14, 07:33 AM
You can also roll your starting gold, which changes depending on class. But you don't get any starting equipment this way, not even from your background.

Kobard
2018-01-14, 08:03 AM
If you are not doing AL, just ask your DM and grab some starting equipment from a comparable class.

nickl_2000
2018-01-14, 08:48 AM
I agree that it should be adjusted for non AL. All other classes give you a set of starting equipment based on what is available. For example, as a Cleric the starting equipment allows you to choose Heavy Armor (if you can use it) and Martial weapons (if you can use it). I see no reason why you shouldn't adjust the Warlock to include that as well. After one session it's pretty much moot from a gameplay perspective (unless it's a low resource campaign), so why not.

prototype00
2018-01-14, 11:18 AM
I recall doing the calculations once for my AL Hexblade Warlock, if you picked the most expensive version of each piece of your starting gear, and sold all of it (half price, by the rules), you could just afford some scale mail, a shield and an explorer's kit. Pretty decent for a starting Hexblade.

prototype00

Chugger
2018-01-14, 06:57 PM
I'm AL so just wanted to know if I was missing the "how to equip your hexblade" part of xgte. It seems not to be there, so I'll stop looking for it - go w/ the most expensive lock equip - sell for half and buy what I can. Maybe go noble for the 25g, but maybe not. Thx much.

Grod_The_Giant
2018-01-14, 08:26 PM
Can't you always choose to start with raw cash instead? 4d4x10gp comes out to about 100gp average, which is plenty-- you can get scale mail, a longsword, a shield, and an explorer's pack with 15gp left over for minor items and starting funds.

prototype00
2018-01-14, 11:54 PM
Can't you always choose to start with raw cash instead? 4d4x10gp comes out to about 100gp average, which is plenty-- you can get scale mail, a longsword, a shield, and an explorer's pack with 15gp left over for minor items and starting funds.

Don’t think it’s allowed in AL.

Found the original equipment post!

Your best bet in AL:

Take 2 light crossbows 25 GP. Take Orb arcane focus, sell for 10 GP. Two daggers sell for 2 GP. Leather Armor Sell for 5 GP. Scholars pack sell for 20 GP.

That's 62 GP.

Then take Guild Artisan background, Tinker's Tools, sell for 25. Plus 15.

that's a total of 102 GP.

there might be a way to eek out more, but that's the best I could find. Now you can afford scale mail. If you are taking Blade Pact, then you don't need to worry about weapons, but you can afford most of those as well and have enough money left over to buy a dungeoneers kit or something similar.