PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Help me assess the power level of this weapon

Kafana
2018-01-14, 07:06 AM
I have a level 8 shadow rogue archetype character in a campaign I'm running and I have a die which has 3 blank sides, 1 side with 1 pip, 1 side with 2 pips and 1 side with 3 pips.

I wanted to create a thematic item for the rogue that utilizes this die.

What I had in mind was a pair of daggers imbued with a shadow (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/shadow.htm). The powers the daggers give:
- When wielding both daggers, the rogue can make 1 additional attack at his full BAB when making a full attack (does not stack with haste-like effects)
- Each time the rogue makes a successful sneak attack, he saps 1 STR from the opponent. At the end of his turn, if the rogue made at least 1 successful sneak attack he rolls the d6 mentioned above and saps that much more additional strength.

How powerful is this? Should I modify it by perhaps making him forfeit the sneak attack damage, or maybe stating that if a blank side falls (50%), he deals no STR damage, but if a non-blank die falls he deals (# of successful sneak attacks + the number on the die). Thoughts?

Telonius
2018-01-14, 08:19 AM
So, 1 STR damage, but only on sneak attacks, and you have to be wielding both daggers for it to work; plus a 50% chance to deal 1d3 extra damage. (That's basically what the blank pips thing works out to). This seems roughly equivalent in power to a Wounding weapon, which deals 1 Con whenever you hit (not just on sneak attacks). But since you have to have both weapons enhanced for it to function, it would be kind if a kick in the teeth to make you pay the +2 twice. I'd call it a +1 enhancement.

ExLibrisMortis
2018-01-14, 10:24 AM
One extra attack, not stacking with haste, is basically the speed property, a +3 property.

One strength damage per sneak attack is good, but a lot of SA-immune creatures are immune to strength damage as well, and the similar wounding property deals constitution damage (which is better) and works on every hit. Probably a +1 property.

Together, that means your weapon, assuming it's a +1 dagger to start with, is about +5 equivalent, which is 50 000 gp, with a +1 dagger off-hand, which is 2000 gp. You might want to add a discount for the fact that both weapons are required for the magic to function; something like 10% would be appropriate.

I'd suggest emphasizing two-weapon fighting more. First, allow the off-hand dagger to make an extra attack as well (in addition to the usual ITWF/GTWF attacks). Then, templated off of the Rend special ability, add 1d4 additional strength damage if both daggers hit the same target on the same round. If this additional strength damage triggers, you have the following effects, using your special die: a blank face does nothing; a one means it's strength drain instead, a two means it's 2d4 instead, and a three means it's 3d4 instead.

That would probably take the value of the set up to 100 000 gp (two +1 speed weapons with a +1-equivalent property each), which may be a bit much, but okay.

TotallyNotEvil
2018-01-14, 11:03 AM
If they work only in pairs, I don't really see why they should be priced as two whole +4 weapons. Not at all.

Only one dagger would need the Speed property, too.

You already pay in feats and penalties to use TWF, no need to make it crushingly expensive.

I say don't worry, your proposal ain't terribly strong. If anything, it's a bit too weak if you wanted something more special. As it is, I'm unsure if I'd take it over a +1 Speed dagger and a +1 Wounding dagger, tho I suppose a somewhat comparable option at level 8 is quite great.

I'd suggest you go with ExLibris' suggestion, instead of rolling the special d6 for extra damage, roll it for bonus d4s of damage if both hit.