Just a few "amplified" magic missile spells I thought up:

Magic Bullets

Evocation [Force]
Level: Sor/Wiz 5
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 round
Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)
Targets: Any foes within 15 feet of one another
Duration: Concentration, up to 1 round/lvl.
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: Yes

When this spell completes casting, you may immediately shoot out four magic bullets in quick succession from your palm, unerringly striking the chosen foe(s) and dealing 1 force damage. You must concentrate every turn for the duration of this spell, or it will end prematurely.

Huge Magic Missile

Evocation [Force]
Level: Sor/Wiz 7
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Area: 10 ft. wide line extending out to your maximum range
Duration: Instantaneous

You create a huge magic missile, and throw it in a straight line, dealing 5d8 plus 1d8 force damage per two caster levels (maximum 15d8) to every creature caught in the area.

Please Examine And Criticize Honestly

Nebo_
2007-08-24, 05:11 AM
Those look really underpowered their respective levels. Four damage per round for a 5th level spell is... well it sucks. It shouldn't be concentration, that would put it more up to standard, maybe even lower the level. Not sure about Huge Magic Missile, it looks ok to me.

martyboy74
2007-08-24, 08:49 AM
Wait... Does HMM's damage cap at CL 23? Please change the damage to 5d8+1d8/2CL You always want spell damage to cap at or before CL 20. Otherwise, it'll never be used to it's full potential.

Also, HMM appears to only follow MM thematically. MM is useful because it's guaranteed damage (excluding SR/AMFs). To really follow MM, HMM should be based on MM mechanically, just changing a few numbers here and there.

Kaelaroth
2007-08-24, 08:58 AM
Hmmmm... I'm not really big on either of them. Sorry.

atriusnight
2007-08-24, 11:45 AM
Well, I like the ideas....but as has been said they don't play out....

Magic bullet would make a better cantrip name, making perhaps one 1-damage magic missle.

At level five I'd expect more of a magic machine gun, Maybe duplicating the magic missle spell 1d2 (or even 1d3) times per round for it's duration (which should be "concentration to a max of CL rounds" for this form).

For the huge magic missle, A scaled up magic missle....dealing say an uncapped (or capped at CL19) 1D8 + 1d8/2 levels after first it has only one target (it is One huge magic missle) but to pop it up with other spells make it immune to spell resistance under certain circumstances by allowing the actual damage dealt to be caused by something physical (maybe allowing the spell to be bounced off the ground to pick up materials before the impact with the target, thus striking with non magic based projectiles but dropping the spell to D6s instead of D8s. )

my two cents (which went longer than intended.....oops)

Dryad
2007-08-24, 01:02 PM
Why not use lesser missile storm and greater missile storm?

As for the magic bullets: You could make it: Swift action fire, once per round, one round per level. Ranged touch. In this case, you can, at 11th level, shoot four bullets, each one dealing 1 damage, okay. But you could use the rest of your turn to cast a spell, run away, slash something, or.. Well, you could use the rest of your turn to do something useful.
However, perhaps it's better to make it a second level spell rather than a fifth.. Just if you look at the impact it will not have during a combat.

Or a repetitive magic missile spell that does work on concentration.. I like that option.

martyboy74
2007-08-24, 01:12 PM
Huge Magic Missile
Evocation [Force]
Level: Sor/Wiz 6
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Targets: Up to five creatures, no two of which can be more than 25 ft. apart
Duration: Instantaneous

A huge missile of magical energy darts forth from your fingertip and strikes its target, dealing 1d4 points of force damage per caster level (maximum 15d4) force damage.

The missile strikes unerringly, even if the target is in melee combat or has less than total cover or total concealment. Specific parts of a creature can’t be singled out. Inanimate objects are not damaged by the spell.

For every two caster levels beyond 12th, you gain an additional missile—two at 14th level, three at 16th, four at 18th, and the maximum of five missiles at 20th level or higher. If you shoot multiple missiles, you can have them strike a single creature or several creatures. A single missile can strike only one creature. You must designate targets before you check for spell resistance or roll damage.

That's somewhat more like what Huge Magic Missile should look like. For the record, I have no idea how balanced this would be.