PDA

View Full Version : Bardic Music as V Component for Spells

LeonBH
2018-01-14, 12:59 PM
The rules are simple. Pick one or more spells, then pick one or more songs (of any era and genre) that a Bard could sing while casting that spell. Take a line or lines from that song that, when sung out of context, a Bard could use as the V component of that spell. Punning is encouraged.

Remember that Bards have Magical Secrets, so any spell is game. Also, the spell doesn't actually need to have V components to qualify for this.

(The goal is to encourage sing-songy Bards out there to sing more, or inspire more people to play Bards who sing)

---

Fly. "I believe I can fly. I believe I can touch the sky. I think about it every might and day. Spead my wings and fly away."

Plane Shift. "A whole new world. A new fantastic point of view. No one to tell us no, or where to go, or say we're only dreaming."

True Resurrection. "Bid my blood to run, before I come undone (save me). Save me from the nothing I've become. Bring me to life."

SkylarkR6
2018-01-14, 03:12 PM
Alter Memory: "When my time comes, forget the wrongs that I've done. Help me leave behind some reasons to be missed"

Invulnerability: "I'm bulletproof, nothing to lose. Fire away, fire away!"

Contagion: "Get up, come on get down with the sickness, you mother get up, come on get down with the sickness!"

LeonBH
2018-01-15, 02:00 AM
Contagion: "Get up, come on get down with the sickness, you mother get up, come on get down with the sickness!"

I enjoy this one in particular.

Here's another.

Slow. "Des... pa... cito."

Snivlem
2018-01-15, 06:12 AM
Sleep: any lullaby
Dissonant whisper or Longstrider : run to the hills. Run for your liiiife
Firestorm: Fire in the sky, fire in the sky

Cespenar
2018-01-15, 07:56 AM
Bless: "Harder, better, faster, stronger."

nickl_2000
2018-01-15, 10:31 AM
Timestop: If I could save time in a bottle
Ceremony: "For my wedding day, I will dress in black..."
Wish: "I'm a genie in a bottle"
Friends or find familiar: "You've got a friend in me, you've got a friend in me"
Mage Hand: "Abra, abra kadabra, gonna reach out a grab ya"
Thunderwave or Booming Blade: "Thunderstruck, you've been Thunderstruck"
Healing Word: "And when I get that feeling, I want ***ual healing" Marvin Gaye (good way for your other players to say, no thanks I will just die"
Wall of Fire: "and it burns, burns, burns that ring of fire, that ring of fire"
Shield of Faith: "cause you've got to have faith, faith, faith. "
Jump: "Ah, might as well jump (Jump) Might as well jump Go ahead an' jump (jump)"
Identify: "Who are you, who who, who who"

There you go, that's what I have at the moment

SkylarkR6
2018-01-15, 11:36 AM
Heroism: "I can be your hero baby! I can kiss away your pain"

Feather fall: "Now I'm free. Free falling!" (Too obvious?)

Silence: "Shut up. Just shut up. Shut up shut up shut up"

Scrying: "Private eyes. They're watching you. They see your every move"

Charm person: "I'm that star up in the sky, I'm the mountain peak up high. I finally made it hmmm I'm the world's greatest"

Otto's irresistible dance: "Oh don't you dare look back, just keep your eyes on me. I said you're holding back. She said shut up and dance with me!"

Feeblemind: anything by aqua

LeonBH
2018-01-15, 11:46 AM
Feeblemind: anything by aqua

LOL! :smallbiggrin:

nickl_2000
2018-01-15, 12:18 PM
Feather fall: "Now I'm free. Free falling!" (Too obvious?)

I actually feel like this is opposite of feather fall. Feather fall is a slow safe falling to the ground, free falling would be straight down to splat :smallbiggrin:

Now my Jump from Van Halen for the Jump spell may be a little to obvious

SkylarkR6
2018-01-15, 12:23 PM
I actually feel like this is opposite of feather fall. Feather fall is a slow safe falling to the ground, free falling would be straight down to splat :smallbiggrin:

Now my Jump from Van Halen for the Jump spell may be a little to obvious

Ohh see I was thinking of the casting of the spell. Since it's a reaction you're sorta yelling it as you're doing it. "Feather fall cause I'm free falling!!" <Insert reptitious use of the words oh and s*** here>

nickl_2000
2018-01-15, 12:26 PM
Ohh see I was thinking of the casting of the spell. Since it's a reaction you're sorta yelling it as you're doing it. "Feather fall cause I'm free falling!!" <Insert reptitious use of the words oh and s*** here>

That's a valid interpretation there. I was thinking the completely opposite

Candlejack
2018-03-01, 04:20 PM
I've got a million of these!

Charm Person: "Think of your fellow man, lend him a helping hand. Put a little love in your heart."

Charm Person (cast with high level spellslot): "People all over the world, join hands, start a love train, love train!"

Prestidigitation: "Whoa, it's magic! You know! Never belive it's not so!"

Vicious Mockery: " U-G-L-Y, you ain't not no alibi, you ugly, what what, you ugly!"

Comprehend Languages/Tongues: "Listen to your heart. You will understand."

Heroism: "I need a hero! I'm holding out for a hero till the end of the night!"

Pyrotechnetics: I wanna rock and roll all night and party everyday!"

Haste: "Gotta go Fast! Gotta go faster, faster, faster, faster, faster!"

Tahsa's Hideous Laughter: Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha, ho ho ho ho ho ho ho, hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee

Fireball: "Goodness, gracious, great balls of fire!"

the_brazenburn
2018-03-01, 05:17 PM
Calm Emotions: Imagine all the people, living life in peace...

Revivify: Oh! Yeah! Kickstart my heart, hope it never stops!

Any fire-based spell: Come on baby light my fire, come on baby light my fire, try to set the night on fire.

Vicious Mockery: So you think you can stone me and spit in my eye

I'll come up with more later.

Armored Walrus
2018-03-01, 05:42 PM
Polymorph/Forcecage: Despite all my rage I am still just a rat in a cage

Freedom of Movement: Exit, the warrior, today's Tom Sawyer he gets high on you, with the energy you trade he gets right on to the friction of thaaaa day. Nee noo nee noo nee noo neeeee noo nee noo nee noo.

Mordenkainen's Magnificent Mansion: The Love Shack is a little old place where we can get togetherrrrr

some guy
2018-03-01, 06:06 PM
Danse Macabre: "grisly ghouls from every tomb/ Are closing in to seal your doom/ And though you fight to stay alive/ Your body starts to shiver/ For no mere mortal can resist/ The evil of the thriller"
Animate Objects: "No one's gloomy or complaining/ While the flatware's entertaining/ We tell jokes, I do tricks/ With my fellow candlesticks"
Silence:"And no one dared/ Disturb the sound of silence"
Banishment:"Needless to say, the beast was stunned./ Whip-crack went his whoopy tail,/ And the beast was done./ He asked us: "(snort) Be you angels?"/ And we said, "Nay. We are but men."/ Rock!"

Armored Walrus
2018-03-01, 06:12 PM
Banishment:"Needless to say, the beast was stunned./ Whip-crack went his whoopy tail,/ And the beast was done./ He asked us: "(snort) Be you angels?"/ And we said, "Nay. We are but men."/ Rock!"

I did not expect to see a Tenacious D song in this thread, but I'm happily surprised.

Geas: "A long-axx xxxxxxn' time ago in a town called Kickapoo, there lived a humble family, religious through and through. But yay there was a black sheep, and he knew just what to do..... (casting time 1 minute, sing the intro, the Dio poster verse, and the outro) So he bailed from xxxxxn' Kickapoo with hunger in his heart, and he journeyed far and wide to find the secrets of his art. But in the end he knew that he would find his counterpart; Rock. Rah-ha-ha-ha-hock. Raye-yayayayaye-yock

Pex
2018-03-01, 06:22 PM
Otto's Irresistible Dance
"It's just a jump to the left, and a step to the right.
Put your hand on your hips, and bring your knees in tight.
But it's the pelvic thrust that really drives you insane.
Let's do the Time Warp again!
Let's do the Time Warp again!"

Armored Walrus
2018-03-02, 02:39 PM
This died way too young, time to revive it.

Enhance Ability - Hey now, you're an all-star, get your game on, go play. Hey now, you're a rock star, get the show on, get paid.

Fabricate (while using tool proficiency to make something with the material) - I get up at seven, yeah, and I go to work at nine. I got no time for livin', yes, I'm workin' all the time. It seems to me I could live my life a lot better than I think I am. I guess that's why they call me; They call me the working man.

Fly - Fly by night, away from here. Change my life again. Fly by night, goodbye my dear.

Speak with Plants - There is unrest in the forest. There is trouble with the trees, for the maples want more sunlight and the oaks ignore their pleas.

(don't force me to put a stealth question in here to keep this going for 8 more pages)

Pex
2018-03-02, 04:00 PM
Lesser Restoration
"Just a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down, the medicine go down, the medicine go down.
Just a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down in the most delightful way."

Armored Walrus
2018-03-02, 11:00 PM
Haste: supercalifragilisticexpialidocious! Even though the sound of it is something quite atrocious, if you say it loud enough you'll always sound precocious, supercalifragilisticexpialidocious!

PeteNutButter
2018-03-03, 12:30 AM
Speak with Animals: "What the fox say?"
Blindness: "In your eyes..."
Spiritual Weapon: "Hammer time!"
Counterspell: "My name is no, my sign is no, my number is no, You need to let it go, you need to let it go, Need to let it go, Nah to the ah to the no, no, no."
Enhance Ability (Cha): "I'm bringing sexy back."
Darkness: "I want it painted black."
Mordenkainen's Faithful Hound: "Who let the dogs out?"
Cloudkill: "Die, by my hand, I creep across the land"
Resurrection: "Hallelujah..."
Prismatic Spray: "Like a rainbow in the dark."
Shatter: "I came in like a wrecking ball."
Knock: "Bang BANG! On the door baby!"
Heat Metal: "Gotta have some hot stuff."
Levitate: "And I'm floating in a most pet-aculiar way"
Revivify: "Kickstart my heart."
Heroes' Feast/Goodberry: "Don't you tell me you're full. Just eat it, eat it."
Maximilian's Earthen Grasp: "Got you in a stranglehold, baby."
Grease: "It's got groove it's got meaning, Grease is the time, is the place, is the motion, Grease is the way we are feeling... Grease is the word"

I could do this all day, to varying degrees of success.

EDIT: I can't stop.
Modify Memory: "Don't you, forget about me." (Ironic) or "Can you remember, remember my name, As I flow through your life"
A thousand oceans I have flown
Aid: "Whenever you're in trouble, won't you stand by me."
Frostbite: "You're as cold as ice."
Feeblemind: "Be a simple kind of man."
Toll the Dead: "For whom the bell tolls"

Armored Walrus
2018-03-03, 11:40 AM
Darkness: Exit light. Enter night.

Time Stop:

Freeze this moment
A little bit longer
Make each sensation
A little bit stronger
Experience slips away
Experience slips away
Time stands still

Storm of Vengeance:

Raining blood
From a lacerated sky
Bleeding its horror
Creating my structure
Now I shall reign in blood

RedMage125
2018-03-03, 12:35 PM
While these are all good, I think I may have the Trump card for Otto's Irresistible Dance:
You can dance if you want to,
You can leave your friends behind.
'Cause your friends don't dance,
And if they don't dance,
Then they're no friends of mine.

Sleep:
...Take my hand,
We're off to Never-Never Land

Pex
2018-03-03, 02:36 PM
Bane

I know a song that gets on everybody's nerves. I know a song that gets on everybody's nerves. I know a song that gets on everybody's nerves, and this is how it goes . . .

I know a song that gets on everybody's nerves. I know a song that gets on everybody's nerves. I know a song that gets on everybody's nerves, and this is how it goes . . .

Armored Walrus
2018-03-03, 02:41 PM
Bane

That's when everyone at your table is glad it's only an action to cast. 6 seconds of that is long enough :P

Hallow:

Pie jesu domine, dona eis requiem.... (chant for 24 hours)

Pex
2018-03-03, 11:59 PM
Foresight

I can see clearly now the rain is gone
I can see all obstacles in my way
Gone are the dark clouds that had me blind
It's gonna be a bright (bright)
Bright (bright) sun-shining day
It's gonna be a bright (bright)
Bright (bright) sun-shining day

kardar233
2018-03-04, 02:50 AM
Pass Without Trace:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdJg6Duzzf4

Thunderbird
2018-03-04, 06:18 AM
I love this thread. Here's another one:

Expeditious retreat

"Brave Sir Robin ran away
Bravely ran away, away
When danger reared its ugly head
He bravely turned his tail and fled
Yes, brave Sir Robin turned about
And gallantly he chickened out
Bravely taking to his feet
He beat a very brave retreat"

Fayd
2018-03-04, 03:21 PM
Conjure Celestial: "It's raining men. Hallelujah, it's raining men!"

Vorpalchicken
2018-03-04, 04:53 PM
Silence-- "A Little Less Conversation"
Magic Jar-- "Your Body is a Wonderland"
Levitate-- "Higher"

(sorry going for worst possible songs)

Personification
2018-03-04, 09:10 PM
Silence: "4' 33"" by John Cage
Counterspell: "Don't Stop Me Now" by Queen
Otiluke's Resilient Sphere: "can't Touch This"
Fireball: "Fireball"
Fly: "Defying Gravity"
Darkness: "Sound of Silence" (first verse only)
Tasha's Hideous Laughter: "I Love to Laugh" (from Mary Poppins)
Command (Halt): "Stop, in the Name of Love"

Angelalex242
2018-03-05, 01:05 PM
Haste: (From the Hamilton Musical!) How to account for his rise to the top? Man, the man is NON STOP!

Enhance Attribute Int: Why do you assume you're the smartest in the room?

dreast
2018-03-05, 03:12 PM
Speak With Dead:

(To the music of the "Mr. Ed Theme Song.")
A corpse is a corpse, of course, of course,
and no one can talk to a corpse, of course.
Unless, of course, that corpse, of course
has been hit with Speak with Dead!

Sorry, an oldy but a goody.

CircleOfTheRock
2018-03-08, 04:31 AM
Continual Flame: Embers by Owl City; But the world took a spark like a match in the dark and the fire brought me to life/So I'm fanning the flames to climb so high 'cause there's no other way we can stay alive.

Bigby’s Clenched Fist: Cave In by Owl City; Get me out of this cavern/ Or I'll cave in.