PDA

View Full Version : Gestalt Feat question

Starsinger
2007-08-24, 04:39 AM
Can gestalt characters take feats like Ascetic Sorcerer or Dedicated Tracker? that are designed to alleviate the suck of multiclassing? Or is this disallowed like a Mystic Theurge? Furthermore, if it's allowed, would you allow it as a DM?

Zincorium
2007-08-24, 04:51 AM
Can gestalt characters take feats like Ascetic Sorcerer or Dedicated Tracker? that are designed to alleviate the suck of multiclassing? Or is this disallowed like a Mystic Theurge? Furthermore, if it's allowed, would you allow it as a DM?

Is there a rule against it? No (technically there isn't a rule banning mystic theurge either, it's just suggested you don't use it for reasons that should be obvious).

That said, I'd allow it but put some very serious restrictions on it, basically that you can't have more effective levels for any ability than you have total levels. As an example, if you have ascetic mage, and are a monk 6//sorceror 6, then you would have only the armor class of a level 6 monk, but with the benefit of switching your AC stat to charisma. If you then multiclassed on the monk side but continued with sorceror, you would continue to advance your effective monk level in regards to AC, but if you then multiclassed out on the sorceror side without taking up monk again (disregarding the multiclassing rules for monks for a second), your advancement would stop.

This is just my personal take, but I've found it prevents outright brokenness while helping with builds that aren't all that optimized.

martyboy74
2007-08-24, 07:59 AM
Personally, I would rule that you can take it, but it only applies to one side of the build. This still helps allieviate multiclass suck, but stops utter ridiculousness.

Ramza00
2007-08-24, 12:09 PM
Yes you can take it, it will max out at your ecl though due to the line you only occur class features at the faster rate>

Fax Celestis
2007-08-24, 12:24 PM
Personally, I would rule that you can take it, but it only applies to one side of the build. This still helps allieviate multiclass suck, but stops utter ridiculousness.

This is what I go with. Still, Scout/Ranger//Rogue/Swashbucklers are a bit...over the top. "HOW many extra dice are you rolling?" "Well, Sneak Attack, Skirmish...Oh, don't forget Favored Enemy. Yay extra damage!"

Raolin_Fenix
2007-08-24, 12:44 PM
Technically, yes, the feat's usable. My DM, on the other hand, would probably gimp it, and for that matter, I would too. We've got a house rule already in place to deal with some of these issues, though it's restricted to PrCs: some PrCs just aren't allowed because they essentially allow you to triple class. Like the Arcane Trickster, for example.

martyboy74
2007-08-24, 01:20 PM
This is what I go with. Still, Scout/Ranger//Rogue/Swashbucklers are a bit...over the top. "HOW many extra dice are you rolling?" "Well, Sneak Attack, Skirmish...Oh, don't forget Favored Enemy. Yay extra damage!"

On the other hand, their fortitude and will saves aren't all that good, and they have at best d8 hit points. That may cut it in a regular game, but not gestalt. Also, gelstalt creatures really should be higher CRs, where immunity to criticals is much more common. As soon as that happens, well, you're screwed.

Dr. Weasel
2007-08-24, 01:58 PM
It's no more dice than a Rogue//Scout anyway. I wouldn't disallow it as it's far less powerful than some of the straightforward Wisdom-synergy combinations (pretty much any mix of Cleric/Druid/Monk/Psychic Warrior is pretty good). Also, besides the base attack, the character wouldn't be much more powerful than a non-Gestalt Rogue/Scout with the Swift Ambusher feat.

So I usually allow those feats and Mystic Theurge classes as long as they only support one side of a build and that side of the build meets the prerequisites without help from the other (Swashbuckler 5/Rogue 10/Swashbuckler 5//Wizard 5/Eldrich Knight 10/Wizard 5 wouldn't fly)