PDA

View Full Version : Optimization input wanted for new gestalt spellcaster character

skunk3
2018-01-14, 01:51 PM
So I am going to finally have the chance to play in a gestalt campaign! All 3.5 books are on the table, and probably some 3.0 stuff too. We are starting at level 3.

I am aiming for ridiculous power. I know that I am going to go with wizard / incantrix / dweomerkeeper for sure. I am also thinking cloistered cleric as my other 'base class' apart from wizard. Basically I want full arcane and divine casting. What I'm looking for is input as to which class levels I should take as I am leveling up.

I'll be using Dweomerkeeper to advance my divine casting, or I could use the levels of it to advance a bit of arcane and divine if it would give me better options as far as taking other levels in prestige classes go. I probably intend to take all 10 levels of Incantrix unless there's some reason not to. Basically, Wizard and Cloistered Cleric will be the base classes. Input?

*alternatively* - would it be a decent idea to skip cleric/dweomerkeeper altogether and go for 20 levels of arcane casting and 20 levels of Artificer? I hear they're pretty good.

Grod_The_Giant
2018-01-14, 02:08 PM
Archivist is probably a better choice than Cleric for your second side, but Artificer is likely better than either. One key point in gestalt is action economy-- it doesn't matter if you've got both Wizard and Cleric spells if you're only casting one a round.

(Also note that you generally can't take PrC levels on both sides of a gestalt)

Nifft
2018-01-14, 03:02 PM
As Grod says, you (typically) can't take PrC levels on both sides of a Gestalt at once, so it's important to have one side which either doesn't need PrCs or two sides which you can alternate PrCs between.

Since your plan is to use PrCs heavily on your Wizard side, that (typically) means you're going to go full-class on the other side.

Druid 20 - Note that Natural Spell applies to all spellcasting, not just Druid or Divine spellcasting, so you can be an Eagle Wizard at level 6. The spells aren't quite as easy to use as what a Cleric gets, but the class features are amazing, and you get good action economy perks.

Cloistered Cleric 20 - 6 skill points per level, full Cleric casting, and some Domains key off Cleric level -- this is a solid choice, especially if you take Domains like Travel that scale with your Cleric level.

Archivist 20 - Great for cherry-picking spells known from other lists. Also, gets good class features at every level, and has good Intelligence synergy. As a straight Divine caster you'd lose out on DMM: Persist, but as an Incantatrix you don't care.

Artificer 20 - Great if you ever get downtime in which to craft, which is often available but your campaign may vary. Consult your DM before using. Seek magical attention if Construct last more than 4 hours.