PDA

View Full Version : Recurring trait of Belkar’s personality

Dunamin
2007-08-24, 04:52 AM
The newest strip reminded me of this one (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0408.html). It didn’t occur to me before, but is Belkar the kind of character to occasionally go into denial during critical moments that pertain to his personal safety?

It puzzles me a bit, because Belkar otherwise seem to be fairly honest with himself and the facts of life. He seems aware and embracing of his alignment and the consequences his lifestyle has, and isn’t afraid to smack the hard facts into the face of others (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0467.html).

What do you guys think?

RAGE KING!
2007-08-24, 10:32 AM
meh maybe...though i think those were both comic relief, if it happens again, ill agree.

Ganurath
2007-08-24, 10:36 AM
I think Belkar's denial quirk only comes up when his penalized Wisdom can't come up with a potential scenario to get out of the situation in one piece.

Sly Reference
2007-08-24, 06:04 PM
I don't think it's denial so much as his titan-sized ego saying that there has to be a way to win this situation. Though it's funny because he once said that karma has never worked in his favor before, and yet in those two strips you mention, it looks like he's expecting it to.

Impikmin
2007-08-24, 08:51 PM
He is afraid of death. I have a good idea of why, but I have to eat dinner.

SPoD
2007-08-25, 01:55 PM
I don't think it's denial so much as his titan-sized ego saying that there has to be a way to win this situation.

Yeah, I think this is an extension of Belkar's inability to see the world except through his own ego. It's inconceivable to him that the world could turn on any axis but his, so therefore, anything bad that happens must relate to him somehow.

He's not scared, per se, so much as he just naturally assumes that if something bad happens to him, it must have been done on purpose, because how could bad things just happen naturally? He's Belkar! He's a sexy shoeless god of war, and sexy shoeless gods of war don't get left behind because someone just forgot about them. They get left behind because someone is deliberately screwing with them, because it's all about Belkar.