PDA

View Full Version : Sleet Storm and Flying Creatures???

ShriekingDrake
2018-01-14, 05:33 PM
How does the 3rd level spell Sleet Storm affect flying creatures caught in the cylinder? Would it knock them out of the sky? Would it ground a flying dragon? Would the wings be covered with sleet, just like what covers the ground in the spell description? Is this a reliable way to ground a flying creature? Would you still use a dex save to determine how it affects that creature?

Unoriginal
2018-01-14, 08:21 PM
Pretty sure the movement of flying creatures wouldn't be affected.

Kane0
2018-01-14, 08:27 PM
Heavy obscurement, freezing rain and sleet. You determine what that means in game terms beyond that.

I'd say something like difficult terrain like the ground as described and unable to see where you're going.
A dex or str save or be blown about a bit might also be appropriate.

Edit: If you're looking for a spell to deal with flying creatures specifically, Earthbind is a good one.

Ninja_Prawn
2018-01-15, 02:41 AM
Edit: If you're looking for a spell to deal with flying creatures specifically, Earthbind is a good one.

Yup, that's the one.

For characters with natural wings, anything that inflicts the restrained or paralysed conditions will work, as well. Giant spiders are a good counter to them, with their ranged Web attack.

As for sleet storm, I wouldn't say it has any particular effect on dragons (aside from the obscurement), but I wouldn't let a pixie fly in it (maybe with a dex save to make a forced landing). Not all fliers are equal, you know?

Edit: Oh, I had forgotten that the spell inflicts the prone condition. Well then, I guess it does affect dragons, if you can force one to fly through it. I still wouldn't let a pixie fly at all in a sleet storm, though.

Chugger
2018-01-15, 03:11 AM
If they can't see through the heavy obscurement, I'd consider ruling they have to slow down - maybe the equiv. of diff. terrain - or risk hitting something maybe. Or just have them slow down.

On the other hand, if you're out on a plain and there are no trees or spires, and the flying thing is well off the ground - it could probably go through at full speed w/ little to no risk. So this is a tuffy.

Cespenar
2018-01-15, 03:55 AM
It probably just would block vision, so it needs to be paired with another effect to gain any advantage. Like a tree they could crash into, a valley they would need to navigate, a blocking spell, etc.

ShriekingDrake
2018-01-17, 09:20 PM
Thanks, all. This has been quite helpful.

Jack Bitters
2018-01-17, 09:23 PM
It seems like no one is reading the actual text of the spell... creatures starting their turn in the spell's area or entering the spell's area must make a dex save or fall prone. A flying creature that is knocked prone falls to the ground.

Emay Ecks
2018-01-17, 09:26 PM
I would say the spell knocks a flying enemy prone (should they fail the saving throw).

The spell produces a cylinder that is 40 feet tall and says that "any enemy that enters the spells area" is forced to make a save or fall prone. The spells area clearly includes airspace. And when a flying creature is knocked prone, it falls. And suffers fall damage.

This also just makes sense as there is heavy frozen precipitation battering the wings of the creature that is trying to fly.

Easy_Lee
2018-01-18, 09:45 AM
It seems like no one is reading the actual text of the spell... creatures starting their turn in the spell's area or entering the spell's area must make a dex save or fall prone. A flying creature that is knocked prone falls to the ground.

Exactly. Man, I was getting so frustrated reading this thread...

From the Player's Basic Rule's, page 71: "If a flying creature is knocked prone, has its speed reduced to 0, or is otherwise deprived of the ability to move, the creature falls, unless it has the ability to hover or it is being held aloft by magic, such as the fly spell."

By the RAW text, anything that causes the prone condition knocks a flyer out of the air. They may or may not take damage from the fall, DM's choice.

As an aside, successfully grappling a flying creature will also force it to the ground, just in case anyone wants to fire a barbarian out of a cannon at a dragon.

Deox
2018-01-18, 10:15 AM
As an aside, successfully grappling a flying creature will also force it to the ground, just in case anyone wants to fire a barbarian out of a cannon at a dragon.

This. Worked on a wrestler character for a back-up and while not FFVI Sabin levels of amazing (Train Suplex!?), can and will be using the above.

ShriekingDrake
2018-02-09, 03:55 PM
Thanks for the analysis on the text. I like that reading of the text.