PDA

View Full Version : question on wizard progression

Zhepna
2018-01-14, 07:32 PM
Hi,

I'm a lvl 3 wizard, it's my first 3.5 character and I have questions:

I'll do Wizard 3(domain transmutation) /War Weaver 5/ Spellguard of Silverymoon 5 / Arcane Devotee 5

1)for the spells per day, BaB, fort save, etc do I keep the wizard table until level 3 then I add what is given on the War Weaver table ?

2)When I read about the prestige class online, everybody say I lose a caster level when I first take War Weaver. When I check the War weaver table, War Weaver level 1 doesn't have the +1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class like the other War Weaver levels. Does it means that I have to always use the wizard table and take 1 level lower than my actual level to determine spells per day?

3) I'm interested by the feat Uncanny Forethought It says Prerequisite
Spell Mastery*(PH) , INT 17, Does it means I have to take the spell mastery feat first and then, later, take Uncanny forethought? Can I take Uncanny Forethought without taking Spell Mastery?

4) A lot links are broken when I look for war weaver guide online. I only found this one:
Do you have recommendations for the spells you like?

5) I tried to use to find which additional spells I could include in the war weaver thanks to the Spellguard of Silverymoon but the filter seems broken. Is there other website that could allows me to make this search without reading all wizard spells one by one?

6)At the beginning of the day, when I learn my spells, If I know I'll cast a spell with sanctum spell on it but outside of my sanctum area, can I select this spell as a level with 1 level lower, By exemple, a lvl 2 spell could be selected as a lvl 1 spell?

7) Does Uncanny Forethought allow me to use high level spell with war weaver by lowering there level?

8) Do I have to prepare my combinaison of spells for war weaver at the beginning of the days or I do them on the spot at the begining of each combat?

9) My dm gave me a ring given +2 intelligence. If I use it when I learn my spells at the beginning of the day then remove it later, will I lose the additional spells the +2 intel allowing me to have? If I lose it, is it that decide which spell I lose or is it random?

Thanks a lot for the info and have a nice day.

Vaern
2018-01-14, 10:38 PM
When you take a prestige class, you gain BAB and saving throws according to that class's table. So at wizard 3/war weaver 1, you will have a total will save few of 5 from classes - +3 from wizard and +2 from WW.

When a prestige class says you gain spells as though you gained a level of an existing class, you proceed through that class's spellcasting table accordingly. When a level is skipped, add with the first level of war weaver, you gain neither spells per day, spells known, nor increased caster level. So yes, as a way weaver you will effectively cast as a wizard of your level minus one. There are prestige classes that lose multiple levels of caster progression, so it is something to be wary of when stacking several prestige classes.

A prerequisite feat must be taken before the feat that it is required for. Even if you only intend to use the feat for its secondary effect, its primary application does not function without Spell Mastery.

I've had a lot of problems trying to use the spell search engine you linked myself. Fortunately, as luck would have it, I stumbled upon a post earlier today which recommended this gem:
http://www.imarvintpa.com/dndLive/FindSpell.php

Sanctum spell doesn't actually change the level of the spell. If you prepare a 2nd level spell as a sanctum spell and cast it outside of your sanctum, it still consumes a second level slot, but it only has the potency of a 1st level spell and has its saving throw DC calculated as such.

Uncanny Forethought reduced the caster level of a spell cast with it by two, but does not affect the actual spell level. However, one may argue that A Sanctum Spell cast outside of your sanctum, which effectively reduces its spell level, may work in this case.

As you eat weaver levels will grant you spellcasting progression as though you were leveling as a wizard, you will prepare your spells as a wizard does. You regain you spent spell slots after an 8-hour rest and prepare spells in those slots over one hour of studying your spellbook. You generally prepare spells once each day, though *technically* you could spend an hour between encounters studying to simply replace spells you have yet to cast rather than restoring all of your spent slots.

If you lose your ring, you do lose the bonus spell slots you gain from it. I don't know how the lost spells are chosen off hand, but I believe that generally the loss of prepared spells is random in most cases.

Hellpyre
2018-01-15, 12:22 AM
Hi,

I'm a lvl 3 wizard, it's my first 3.5 character and I have questions:

I'll do Wizard 3(domain transmutation) /War Weaver 5/ Spellguard of Silverymoon 5 / Arcane Devotee 5

You'll need at least Wizard 5 casting to qualify for War Weaver. It specifies 3rd level spells, not caster level 3.

Vaern
2018-01-15, 12:30 AM
You'll need at least Wizard 5 casting to qualify for War Weaver. It specifies 3rd level spells, not caster level 3.

I wasn't even paying attention to the class's prerequisites when I replied. There were just so many questions to answer.

Zhepna
2018-01-15, 06:56 AM
Links removed. Thanks a lot for the informations :)