PDA

View Full Version : New Magic System

criticalstriker
2007-08-24, 07:43 AM
I've never liked the Vancian spell casting system in D&D. I thought it was way too limiting, and didn't seem to really fix up with my vision of magic. So, I decided to make this magic system.
Its loosely based off of the skill check system implemented by the Truenamer, but far more versatile.

So now, without further delay, I present to you...
Magic!

Arcane spell casting:

Wizards, Sorcerers, Wu jen, War mage’s, all of these people draw on one thing; arcane energy, some gain it through extensive research; others draw it from their very blood. It takes far more than merely memorizing a few incantations, and motions of the arms, to draw upon the virtually limitless power of arcane energy. Sorcerers spend their lives trying to master the wild energy that flows through their every vein. While wizards spend their time reading lost texts, and practicing on drawing arcane energy from all around them.

The objective of the below system is to replace the current spell casting system with a system similar to that of the Truenamer. We will begin with the way spells are cast, then I'll introduce the classes.

I'll split each spell casting section up into the individual schools.

To cast a spell, a caster must choose which of the effects given he would like to apply. When he has done this, he adds the total of it to the base DC of 10, and makes a Spell craft check. If he succeeds this check, the spell goes off. If he fails it, the spell fizzles away with no effect.

Effects from multiple schools cannot be combined.

The saving DC of any spell cast by any class is 10 +1/2 their caster level + their main casting stat.

To break through spell resistance, a caster rolls 1D20 + his caster level, as per usual.

Any spell from the below schools have an automatic casting time of one standard action. This can be modified during the spells creation(see the casting times).

Abjuration:

Abjuration:
Abjuration is the subtle art of drawing on magical energies to protect, shield, and reflect things. It is a favorite of casters that focus on protecting their allies.

To cast a spell from the Abjuration school, a caster must make a DC 10 +what ever modifiers from the below table apply. If he fails this check, the spell fizzles away.

Number of targets:
For every one target: +1

Area:
+5 to the DC for every 5ft square it covers.

Casting time:
-1 from the DC for every round it takes to cast the spell(to a maximum of -5)

Components:
No components: +3
Verbal: -2 to the DC
Somatic: -2 to the DC
Material: -1 to the DC for every 100 GP in its market price(maximum of -5)
XP: -1 to the DC for every 100 XP spent

Range:
+1 to the DC for every 20ft

Targets:
Single target: -3 to the DC
Multiple targets: +2 to the DC per target

Duration:
Instantaneous: -2 to the DC
Per round: +1 to the DC per round

Saving throw:
Fortitude negates: -2 to the DC
Reflex negates: -2 to the DC
Will negates: -2 to the DC
No save: +8 to the DC

Spell resistance:
Yes: -2 to the DC
No: +2 to the DC

Effects:
AC bonus: +2 to the DC for every +1 to the targets armor class
Saving throw bonus: +1 to the DC for every +1 bonus
DR: +4 for every point of DR
Minor effect (I, E, holding a door shut): +2
Medium effect (I, E, breaking an enchantment): +5
Major effect (I, E, Banishing creatures): +10

Minor effects:
These effects can range from holding a door shut, to dispelling magic. The DM has final word on what falls into this category.

Medium effects:
These effects range from removing a curse, to generating an anti-magic zone. The DM has final word on what falls into this category.

Major effects:
These effects range from banishing a creature to its native, to blocking all inter planer travel. The DM has final word on what falls into this category.

Conjuration:

Conjuration:
Conjuration is the practice of summing creatures, equipment, and many other things from either another location, or even another plane of existence.

To cast a spell from the Conjuration school, a caster must make a DC 10 +whatever modifiers from the below table apply. If he fails this check, the spell fizzles away.

Components:
No components: +5
Material: -1 to the DC for every 100 GP in its market price(to a maximum of -5)

Casting time:
Casting time in rounds: -1 to the DC for every round of casting(maximum of -5)
Casting time in hours: -2 to the DC for every hour (maximum -10)
Casting time in days: -3 to the DC for every day (maximum -15)

Range:
+1 to the DC for every 10 feet of distance.

Duration:
+1 to the DC for every round
Permanent, minor(I,E, food, water, forks): +4
Permanent, medium(I,E, swords, armor): +10
Permanent, major(I,E, creatures): +20

Number of items summoned:
+1 to the DC for every item summoned

Number of creatures summoned:
+1 to the DC for every creature summoned

Summoning items:
The ability to summon weapons, armor, or an entire house is extremely useful for summoners, and allies alike.

Refer to the below modifiers for summoning items:

Weapons: DC +1
Armor: DC +1
Masterwork armor: DC +4
Masterwork weapons: DC +4
Mundane objects(I,E, food, water, backpack): DC +2 per cubic foot of material summoned

For weapons and armor, increase the DC by 1 for every size category above medium. For every size category smaller than medium, subtract one from the DC (to a minimum of 0).

Summoned creatures:
Creatures can be summoned from any plane of existence, but may not have more total CR than the caster has levels. For example, a 10th level wizard could summon a single black pudding. Or 5 magmin.
These summoned creatures obey everything that the caster tells them. However, if this creature has intelligence, it won’t appreciate doing something it dislikes, such as a celestial being forced to kill innocents. This creature, if forced to do something blatantly against its nature may seek vengeance on its summoner.

For each point of CR a creature has, it adds +1 to the spell craft DC to summon it.

The only exception to the control over the creature occurs whenever a caster summons them permanently. At which point the creature is free to do as it wishes.

Divination:

Divination:
The ability to see the past, present and future, this is a much sought after ability, and those that master it are highly prized by nations, and armies.

Components:
Material: -1 to the DC for every 100 GP in its market price(max of -5)

Casting time:
Per round: -1 to the DC(maximum of -5)
Per day: -1 to the DC(maximum -10)

Duration:
Instantaneously: -1 to the DC
Per round: +2 to the DC

Range:
Per ten feet: +1
Per mile: +10

Area:
Per five foot square: +1

Saving throw:
Will negates: -2
Fortitude negates: -2
Reflex negates: -2
No saving throw: +6

Spell resistance:
Yes: -2
No: +2

Effects:
Seeing at a distance: +4
Seeing into the past: +1 per day into the past
Predicting the future: +6
Granting a bonus to hit: +1 to-hit, for every +2 to the DC

Predicting the future:
Predicting the future is difficult, the infinite number of possible out comes that make up the multi verse makes it difficult to pick out which ones are going to happen.
While predicting the future the character can ask one question. There is an initial 20% chance of the answer being right.
The character can increase this by 5% for every +4 to the DC.

Enchantment:

Enchantment:
Enchantment is the practice of shaping magic energy, and temporarily (or permanently, in some cases) imbuing it into its host.

Components:

Casting time:
Per round: -1
Standard action: +0
Immediate action: +5
Swift action: +2

Duration:
Per round: +1
Per minute: +5
Permanent: +20

Range:
Per foot: +1

Area:
Per five foot square: +5

Saving throw:
Will for half: -1
Fortitude for half: -1
Reflex for half:-1
No save: +6

Spell resistance:

Effects:
Mind effecting, minor (I, E, altering smell, taste, touch, or making someone your friend): +4
Mind effecting, medium (I, E, taking control of a creatures mind, holding a creature in place): +8
Mind effecting, major (I, E, driving a creature insane, stunning a target): +10

Minor effects:
These effects range from putting someone to sleep, to making them your friend. The DM has the final say on what effects may, or may not fall into this category.

Medium effects:
These effects range from dominating someone’s mind, to hold a person or creature in place. The DM has the final say on what effects may, or may not fall into this category.

Major effects:
These effects range from driving someone insane, to imprisoning a target with magical bindings. The DM has the final say on what effects may, or may not fall into this category.

Evocation:

Evocation:
Manipulating energy to create explosions, freeze targets, or simply cause mass destruction. This is the practice of Evocation.

Components:

Casting time:
Full round: -1(maximum -3)

Duration:
Per round: +3
Instantaneous: -1

Range:
Per ten feet: +1

Area:
Per five foot square: +1

Attack:
Touch attack: -2
Regular attack: -4

Saving throw:
Will for half: -1
Fortitude for half: -1
Reflex for half: -1

Spell resistance:

Damage dice:
The character must add the amount shown on the dice, for every die he adds. For example, he could add 5D6, but it would add +10 to the DC.

1D4:+1
1D6:+2
1D8:+3
1D10:+4

Type of damage:
Acid:+1
Fire:+1
Cold:+1
Force:+3
Electric:+1
Sub dual:-1
Slashing:+1
Piercing:+1
Bludgeoning:+1

Illusion:

Illusion:
Creating false images, melding the mind, altering reality its self, this is the practice of Illusion.

Components:

Casting time:

Damage dice:
The character must add the amount shown on the dice, for every die he adds. For example, he could add 5D6, but it would add +10 to the DC.

1D4:+2
1D6:+3
1D8:+4
1D10:+5

Duration:

Range:

Area:

Saving throw:
The negatives for these saves do not stack. One could not apply a will and fortitude to gain a -4
Will negates: -1
Fortitude negates: -1
Reflex negates: -1

Spell resistance:

Effects:
Minor (I, E, creating a scentless, soundless image): +2
Medium (I, E, creating an illusion so scary it can kill): +6
Major (I, E, creating a perfect illusionary double of a creature): +10

Minor:
Effects in this category can range from creating a simple, soundless and scentless image, to making your self invisible. The DM has final word on what falls into this category.

Medium:
Effects in this category can range from creating an image with full scent and sound, to creating an image so scary it can kill. The DM has final word on what falls into this category.

Major:
Things in this category can range from creating a partially real duplicate of a creature, to hiding an entire area with invisibility. The DM has final word on what falls into this category.

Necromancy:

Necromancy:
The art of life, and death, of manipulating the very fabric of life, and weaving it together in a tapestry of magic, this is the art of Necromancy.

Restoration:
Necromancy does not govern only power over death, but also power over life.

A character can heal, and resurrect the dead, to do this, refer to the below effects chart.

Animating creatures:
Necromancy is a flip sided art. On one side, there is the restoration of life. On the other, there is the destruction of it. And, somewhere in between those two sides, is the animation of undead servants.

To animate a creature, a character must select what he wants to create(I, E, skeleton or zombie). And what creature he wants to animate (I, E, a bug bear). He must then roll a Spell Craft check of DC 15 + 2 per HD of the creature. Once he has done this, his undead will rise up and fight for its new master.

A character can control up to his HD in undead without worrying about his hold on them. But, if he creates an undead, and its HD would cause the total HD of all the undead to be high than the creators HD, the creator has to make a DC 20 + 2 per one HD that the creature has. So, say a level 10 has 10 1HD creatures, and he wants to add a 4HD creature to his flock, he would have to make a DC 30(when you include the minor effect increase) spell craft check. If he fails this check, the undead becomes uncontrolled and will wander about aimlessly.

Components:

Casting time:

Damage dice/amount of dice healed:

1D4:+2
1D6:+3
1D8:+4
1D10:+5

Duration:

Range:

Area:

Type of damage:
Negative energy: +2
Positive energy: +2

Saving throw:
The negatives for these saves do not stack. One could not apply a will and fortitude to gain a -4
Will negates: -1
Fortitude negates: -1
Reflex negates: -1

Spell resistance:

Effects:
Minor effects (I, E, creating undead): +2
Medium effects (I, E, raising a creature from the dead with penalties to level and such): +6
Major effects (I, E, raising a creature from the dead with no penalties):+10

Minor effects:
These effects range from creating undead, healing a creature, to putting a minor curse on the target.. The DM has final word on what falls into this category.

Medium effects:
These effects range from raising someone from the dead (with penalties), creating agonizing pain within a target, to putting a medium curse on the target, the DM has final word on what falls into this category.

Major effects:
These effects range from raising someone from the dead (with no penalties), trapping someone’s soul, to putting a horrible curse upon a target. The DM has final word on what falls into this category.

Transmutation:

Transmutation:
The art of changing one thing to another, turning it into a more perfected form, this is the practice of Transmutation.

Components:

Casting time:

Duration:
Permanent: +20(this is doubled if the spell gives a bonus to an ability score)

Range:

Area:

Saving throw:
Will halves: -1
Fortitude halves: -1
Reflex halves: -1

Spell resistance:

Amount effected:
Per cubic foot of material effected: +1

Effects:
Minor (I, E, turning mud to water or dirt, turning wood into splinters, water into steam,): +2
Medium (I, E, turning steel into a sword, turning raw objects into refined ones, turning flesh to stone): +6
Major (I, E, altering landscape drastically, changing from your natural form, into another creature, stopping time): +10

Minor:
Effects from this category can range from simple tasks, such as separating the dirt and water in mud, to making a character move slower/faster). The DM has final word on what falls into this category.

Medium:
Effects in this category can range from refining objects from their natural form (I, E, steel into a sword), to turning someone’s flesh into solid stone. The DM has final word on what falls into this category.

Major:
The effects in this category can range from creating trees and water from the landscape, to stopping the flow of time for a short period. The DM has final word on what falls into this category.

Turning into another creature:
A character cannot turn into another creature unless he has a caster level equal to the CR + 1/2 the HD. He gains none of the super natural abilities(unless he tacts on another +10 to the spellcraft), nor can he add any of the extrodinary, unless he adds +10.

Special rules:

Special rules:
Below are a list of rules that can be applied to most of the above schools.

Blood Magic:

Blood Magic:
Some spells are difficult to cast, and would require far more research and development before they would be castable by any normal caster. But, some people cannot wait for this; they will go to any lengths in order to cast spells. Thus, Blood Magic rose up from the desire for power.

To perform blood magic, go to the evocation section, and find the damage dice. When casting a spell, choose how many D# damage you want to deal to yourself. For this, we will use 5D6. Then, cut the amount that the DC would normally increase because of those dice; 5D6 would normally increase the DC by 10. And cut that number in half, so, for this we have a +5 DC. This is applied to your spell craft check, and not the DC of the spell.

Life energy is one of the most powerful forces in the multi verse, rivaling arcane energy. Some casters, when pushed to extremes, will convert their life energy into arcane energy, giving them a huge amount of temporary power.
A caster may choose to cast a spell that will instantly kill him, with no save, converting his life force into raw arcane energy. When done, this gives a caster double his spell casting class's level in a bonus to his spell craft check. The caster lives only long enough to attempt to cast the spell, before he dies. If he fails the spell craft check to cast the spell, he still dies.

Magic Circle

Magic Circle:
Some spells are so power, so dangerous to cast single handedly, that a group of arcane casters come together in order to bring about this spell.

A magic circle takes 2 days per participant to make. It takes at least 4 casters to form the circle. Every caster after the first gives half his level in a - to the DC of the spell. Thus, a Magic Circle of 4 level 20 wizards, could reduce the DC of a spell by 30.

Portals:

Portals:
Portals are magical gates the permanently (at least until destroyed) link one location with another. One may simply step through one portal, and will arrive instantly at the other.

To create a portal, a character must first determine the length that the portal will cover. For this, lets say someone is making a portal to cover a 100 mile gap. First, we multiply the number of miles the portal will travel by 100. This is how much you will have to spend to gather the raw materials, and make the portals. Then, you divide the amount of miles the portal will travel by 5, and apply this number to 10. You must make a spell craft check equal to that.

Thus, to make a portal that stretches 100 miles, a character would have to spend 10000 GP, and make a DC 30 spell craft check.

Magic Items:

Magic Items:
Magic items are usually mundane objects that have been imbued with power. They can release spells and can give the user great strength.

Crafting Magic Items:
To craft a magic item, one must first take the appropriate feat (craft magic items(see feats)). After they have the proper feat, they may begin to craft magical items. Follow the below rules for creating magical items:

Before anything, one must choose the item one wants to enchant, and the spell(s) that they wish to put into it. After they have done this, they need to determine the spell craft DC of the spell(s) they wish to imbue. They then must make a spell craft check equal to 1/4th the spell craft check of the spell they are imbuing(if there are multiple spells, they must make multiple checks) + the below modifiers.

If the caster fails the check on any of the spells he is imbuing, he must restart, no matter how many successful ones he has made in the past.

Things that grant negatives (such as verbal and somatic components) can be applied, but the user of the magic item will have to use those components every time they use the magic item.

Imbuing the item costs the initial price of the components (if there are material ones) and the price of the item that’s being imbued. The caster must, however, also pay an XP component of 100x the DC of the spell(s). Imbuing a magic item may be cheap in terms of GP, but it drains the user's power dramatically.

Size:
The size of an item matters greatly in the enchantment process, smaller items are usually easier to enchant, whereas larger items get progressively harder. Refer to the below table for bonuses to the spell craft DC based on size:
{table]Size:|Spell craft DC modifier:|
Fine|-8
Diminutive|-6
Tiny|-4
Small|-2
Medium|0
Large|+2
Huge|+4
Gargantuan|+6
Colossal|+8[/table]

Number of charges:
A magic item may not have an unlimited amount of spells within its shell. Some magic items expel their magic in a single, whereas other can give out the same spell(s) for all eternity.

Each charge increases the spell craft DC by five. If a spell is to be made permanent, the caster adds 1/2 the full spell craft check of the spell in question to the spell craft check he must make to imbue it.

Activating a magic item:
Activating a magic item requires a standard action that provokes attacks of opportunity. Upon activating the item, the user must give all the components that the spell requires. If he does not have the requirements on his person, the spell fails automatically and the charge is wasted.

And what is magic, without people to wield its awesome power?

Sorcerer
Sorcerer:
Arcane energy flowing from every pour of their bodies, sorcerers can unleash untold amounts of arcane energy.

Hitdice: D4
Alignment: Any

Class skills: Bluff, Concentration, Craft, Knowledge (arcana), Profession, and Spell craft
Skill Points at 1st Level: (2 + Int) x 4
Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 2 + Int

Sorcerer:
{table]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|
1|+0|+0|+0|+2|Wild Magic(40% 1D20), Arcana Surge
2|+1|+0|+0|+3|
3|+1|+1|+1|+3|
4|+2|+1|+1|+4|
5|+2|+1|+1|+4|Wild Magic(35% 1D10)
6|+3|+2|+2|+5|
7|+3|+2|+2|+5|
8|+4|+2|+2|+6|
9|+4|+3|+3|+6|
10|+5|+3|+3|+7|Wild Magic(30% 1D8)
11|+5|+3|+3|+7|
12|+6/+1|+4|+4|+8|
13|+6/+1|+4|+4|+8|
14|+7/+2|+4|+4|+9|
15|+7/+2|+5|+5|+9|Wild Magic(25% 1D6)
16|+8/+3|+5|+5|+10|
17|+8/+3|+5|+5|+10|
18|+9/+4|+6|+6|+11|
19|+9/+4|+6|+6|+11|
20|+10/+5|+6|+6|+12|Wild Magic(20% 1D4)[/table]

Class features:

Weapon/armor proficiencies:
A sorcerer is proficient with no weapons or armor.

Spells:
A sorcerer casts spells by calling upon the raw power within him. Unlike other casters, a sorcerer does not need spell books or preparations to cast a spell, he simply wills it into existence. He can decide on any of the variables, and must only make the spell craft DC in order to cast it

Wild Magic:.
A sorcerers magic is raw, untamed, and extremely wild. Every time a sorcerer casts a spell, there is a % chance that something goes wrong(as shown above). If he gets this chance, roll another D%, if its 50 or above, the spell fails. If its 49 or below, the spell succeeds.

In addition, even if the spell succeeds, the sorcerer has already lost a certain amount of control. Roll a die(determined by the above chart). When rolling 1D20, anything below 17 is considered a negative to all variable and set effects(see below). Anything above 17 is considered a bonus.

With 1D10, its 7 and below is the negative, with 1D8, its 5 and below, with 1D6, its three and below, with 1D4, its 3 and below.

If the dice give you a negative, take the amount shown the die(for instance, if you rolled 1D20 and got a 5) and apply that as a negative to all effects of your spell. With range, its -5 ft, with damage, its -5, same with duration, etc.

If the dice give you a bonus, take difference between the minimum you needed to roll, and what you actually rolled and(for instance 1D20, and you rolled a 17, so you apply 1), you apply it the same as you did for the negative, but its a bonus.

Arcana Surge:
A number of times per day equal to 1/3rd the sorcerers con modifier, he may release a massive surge of arcane energy. This surge grants him his level in a bonus to the next spell craft check he makes. After doing this, he takes his his level in D4 sub duel. Meaning, if a level 20 sorcerer uses this ability, he gains +20 to his spell craft check, but takes 20D4 points of sub duel damage.

Wizard
Wizard:
Students of arcane research. Scouring the world over for ancient tomes of lost information, the wizards are some of the most versatile, and powerful, people to walk the face of Toulios.

Hitdice: D4
Alignment: Any

Class skills: Concentration, Craft, Decipher script, Knowledge (all skills taken individually), Profession, Speak Language, and Spell Craft
Skill Points at 1st Level: (2 + Int) x 4
Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 2 + Int

Wizard:
{table]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|
1|+0|+0|+0|+2|Arcadium Theorem +1
2|+1|+0|+0|+3|
3|+1|+1|+1|+3|
4|+2|+1|+1|+4|
5|+2|+1|+1|+4|
6|+3|+2|+2|+5|Arcadium Theorem +2
7|+3|+2|+2|+5|
8|+4|+2|+2|+6|
9|+4|+3|+3|+6|
10|+5|+3|+3|+7|
11|+5|+3|+3|+7|Arcadium Theorem +3
12|+6/+1|+4|+4|+8|
13|+6/+1|+4|+4|+8|
14|+7/+2|+4|+4|+9|
15|+7/+2|+5|+5|+9|
16|+8/+3|+5|+5|+10|Arcadium Theorem +4
17|+8/+3|+5|+5|+10|
18|+9/+4|+6|+6|+11|
19|+9/+4|+6|+6|+11|
20|+10/+5|+6|+6|+12|[/table]

Class features:

Weapon/armor proficiencies:
A wizard is proficient with no weapons or armor.

Spells:
A wizard can, through extensive research, pull arcane energy from its raw state, and mold it to their will. A wizard can cast spells the same way as any other arcane caster, with the following changes. A wizard is not good at simply bending arcane energy at random, they need the formula from their spell book. If they attempt to cast a spell that they have not written down in their spell book, they receive a -10 to the spell craft check to cast it.

The -10 applies to all spells, even ones in the wizards spell book, should the wizard lose his spell book.

Likewise, if they are casting a spell that they have in their spell book, they receive a +2 to their spell craft check.

A wizard begins play with 3 times his int modifier in spells.

To make a spell, a wizard must spend three days researching it. This research may be broken up, so he can do it each night, and travel each day. While researching, the player must set what the spell will do. For instance, he is researching a Fire Bolt spell, he decides all of its stats(damage, range, saves, etc), makes an initial spell craft check to create it, and transcribe it. After this, the spell is now in his spell book.

The research for the initial spell costs 3x the Spell Craft DC in GP. And when modifying a spell it costs the DC in GP.

The settings that the wizard chose cannot be changed unless the wizard spends another day modifying the formula for the spell.

Arcadium Theorem:
A wizard, after many extensive hours refining the formula of their spells, can cast them with less effort. A wizard can select a number of spells equal to his level, all of these spells receive a + to spell craft checks made with them, according to the casters level(see above).

And you can't have a new magic system without new feats.

General Magic Feats

General Magic Feats:
The below feats are typically applied to a spell(or school of spells) to give it a bonus. It also contains a few other

Spell focus:
Effects: This feat grants the user a +2 to the spell craft check to cast a single spell. The spell that he applies this to must be taken when this feat is chosen.

School focus:
Effects: This feat grants the user a +1 to all spells cast from a certain school. The school must be chosen when this feat is selected.

Energy Mixture:
Effects: This feat can only be applied to spells from the evocation school. This allowed the caster to choose two energy types to apply to his spells, for only a +1 bonus, instead of a +2.
Special: This feat can be taken multiple times, its effects stack.

Improved life blood conversion:
Effects: A character who takes improved life blood conversion has studied blood magic inwards and out, he understands better than most just how to convert life energy into arcane energy, and use this to their advantage.
Any character who takes this feat no longer divides the bonus he gets from damage dice done to him self from blood magic. He now adds 3/4ths of the bonus to his checks, instead of the normal 1/2.

Direct Conversion:
Requirements: Improved life blood conversion
Effects: This feat represents the character finally having realized just how powerful life energy is. And that it isn't really separate from arcane energy, but is merely in another form. They understand how to convert it better than almost anyone.
A character with this feat appliess the full - from damage dice as a bonus to his spell craft check.

Power of Life:
Requirements: Direct Conversion
Effects: This feat represents the characters final step in the understanding of the connection between arcane, and life, energy. He understands that he can use a fragment of his own soul as a power source.
When using the instant death effect from Blood Magic, a character with this feat may apply 3x his level to his final spell craft check before he dies.

Meta Magic Feats

Meta Magic feats:
Meta magic feats are things that grant some form of bonus to your spells.

Meta Magic feats can be applied to any spell, at any time. Regardless of class. They require a move action to apply, though and can only be used once every 5 rounds, safely. If you use it more in that time period, you take damage equal to half the total spell craft DC of the spell you used it on.

No more than 2 metamagic feats can be applied to one spell.

Hell Fire Spell:
Effects: This feat can be applied to any spell that deals fire damage. When applied, this feat causes the spell to deal an extra +2 damage per dice, and deal 1 fire damage every round for 2D4 rounds.
Effect to DC: +3

Empower Spell:
Effects: An empowered spell increases all variable effects of a spell by 50%. So, if a spell dealt 5 damage, with empower spell it would deal 7.
Effect to DC: +4 to the casting DC

Enlarge spell:
Effects: when applied to a spell, this feat doubles the range of a spell(I,E a spells normal range is 10 feat, this increases it to 20).
Effect to DC: +3

Extend spell:
Effects: When applied to a spell, this feat doubles its duration(I,E, if a normal duration is 10 seconds, it would not be 20).
Effects to DC: +4

Heighten Spell:
Effects: For the purpose of a spells saving DC, you cast spells at +2 caster level.
Effects to DC: +3

Maximize spell:
Effects: This feat maximizes all variable effects of a spell. For instance, if a spell deals 2D6, with this feat, it would automatically deal 12 damage.
Effects to DC: +6

Widen Spell:
Effects: When applied to a spell, this doubles the area of it(I,E, if a spells normal area is 50 ft, this would increase it to 100).
Effects to DC: +4

I'd like to get feed back on the general balance of this system. Any comment is welcome, whether it is a detailed response, or just saying you think this is good/bad:smallbiggrin:

Devouring Rage
2007-08-24, 02:47 PM
Don't use a skill-based magic system.

I'll give you an example of a 1st level Wizard (your variant).

At 1st level A good average hit points for CR1 is like 12, correct? This guy will always deal at least that.

Spellcraft bonus equals 4 (ranks) + 3 (skill focus) + 4 (Int modifier)

Ends up being +11, +10 if your Int is 16, which should be the minimum for a wizard.

Spell Name: Force Touch of Doom
Spellcraft DC: 4
Casting Time: Standard action (+0)
Duration: Instantaneous (-1)
Components: Somatic and Verbal (-4)
Attack Type: Touch (-2)
Spell Resistance: Yes
Damage Type: Force (+1)
As a touch attack you deal 24d2(+8) force damage.

That's 24-48 force damage on a touch. At first level.

What do you think about balance?

Oh, and it's on a roll of a one with your Spellcraft check. Want to see the damage potential if you want to take a little risk?

Gralamin
2007-08-24, 02:56 PM

At 1st level A good average hit points for CR1 is like 12, correct? This guy will always deal at least that.

Ends up being +11, +10 if your Int is 16, which should be the minimum for a wizard.

Oh, and it's on a roll of a one with your Spellcraft check. Want to see the damage potential if you want to take a little risk?

Don't forget the masterwork tool of +2 spellcraft.

Some math on your Damage Spells
{table=head]Average Damage|Cost|Damage % of cost
1.5|0.333333333|450.00%
2|0.5|400.00%
2.5|1|250.00%
3.5|2|175.00%
4.5|3|150.00%
5.5|4|137.50%
6.5|5|130.00%
10.5|6|175.00%[/table]

Say we wanted to maintain a % of 150.

1.5|1|150.00%
2|1.333333333|150.00%
2.5|1.666666667|150.00%
3.5|2.333333333|150.00%
4.5|3|150.00%
5.5|3.666666667|150.00%
6.5|4.333333333|150.00%
10.5|7|150.00%[/table]

Translating that back into your orginal Form...
1d2 +1
1d3 +4/3
1d4 +5/3
1d6 +7/3
1d8 +3
1d10 +11/3
1d12 +15/3
1d20 +7

That's Awkward. How about 200%?
1.5|0.75|200.00%
2|1|200.00%
2.5|1.25|200.00%
3.5|1.75|200.00%
4.5|2.25|200.00%
5.5|2.75|200.00%
6.5|3.25|200.00%
10.5|5.25|200.00%[/table]

Translating Back...
1d2 +3/4
1d3 +1
1d4 +5/4
1d6 +7/4
1d8 +9/4
1d10 +11/4
1d12 +13/4
1d20 +21/4
thats still pretty bad. Play with these values though, and keep them consisent, or else why would you not use 1d2?

Devouring Rage
2007-08-24, 03:10 PM
Or some of those new feats that alter the DC check by less based on things.

Or magical items that boost skills.

Seriously, if you're going to make a skill based magic system for D&D, don't.

You can boost skills easily, and it seems like you didn't even try to use your system.

6d2 = +2
1d6 = +2

Would you rather have a 6-12 damage output or a 1-6 damage output for the same price?

Jasdoif
2007-08-24, 03:23 PM
Really, you should just stick with one die size for damage effects. Having multiple choices is basically just cluttering things up, and/or inspiring metamagic abuse.

Vadin
2007-08-24, 03:54 PM
I like this, I really do, but, other than some grammar and spelling issues, my main concern is the instant death effect. Only +10? Take some penalties to the casting, like a whole lot of rounds and some components, and BAM. Out goes the major villain, no save or anything. Verbal and somatic components give it -4, +16 for no save and instant death, so right now thats a net +12 DC. Add 2 in for no spell resistance and we're up to 14. Let's assume this guy is level 1. He has 16 intelligence and four ranks in spellcraft. As any prepared magic user, he's taken Skill Focus(Spellcraft). If he's a human, he'll also take spell focus(this crazy spell), bringing his total bonus in spellcraft to +12. Wow. But wait! He's a wizard with a spell book and this particular spell is one of his Arcadium Theorem spells, granting him another +3! With his +15 bonus, the only way he can fail is by rolling a natural one. Seeing this, he'll probably also throw in some extras. For example, +5 makes this spell an immediate action. Now he needs only roll a four (DC 19 against his +15 spellcraft bonus) to kill any single being on anyone's turn (only once until his round comes again, but still on anyone's turn). In addition, he can automatically kill any one creature on his turn as a standard action with a DC of 14 (minus the immediate action, remember) and a bonus of +14 (one less because it isn't his arcadium theorem spell). If he also chooses to use the spell as a swift action, he'll need to make DC 17, but with his +14 bonus at level one, who's worried?

And now the magic user is an absolute beast, dealing death with no regard for even the gods.

Also, the sorcerer is just terrible. Half the time his spells fail? Whats up with that? And even if his spell doesn't fail, chances are good it's going to take some pretty heavy penalties.

The wild surge ability: The dice get smaller, but the failure stays about the same. About the same, that is, until we get to the D6. With the D6, there's a 50% chance the sorcerer won't take a negative penalty (assuming, of course, his spell doesn't fail). That's a little bit more like it should be. But then, after this seemingly wonderful time in the sorcerer's life, it happens. He's switched over to a d4 and all of his spells that pass through that ridiculous rule of arcane failure have a 75% chance of taking a penalty. I understand that this is meant to actually lessen their penalty, but that's still not an excuse. You describe them as magical batteries, but half of their spells get destroyed upon casting and the other half get so nerfed that they probably don't deal much damage or even hit the target.

This has the potential to be really good. There are just a few things that need to be fixed is all. For example, instead of having the base DC of all spells be 0, start it at 10 or 8. Another idea: You can only cast a spell with a DC equal to or lower than your casting stat.

Moving on from the actual spellcasting, lets look at the spells themselves. Item one: get rid of instant death effects. They're broken in regular D&D, so lets not have them be broken here, too. Item two: the d20 damage die. 1d20 is a very large die, and will probably result in players feeling frustrated that they aren't rolling higher. Also, little to no spells, weapons, or powers use it, so why start now? Not only does it tend to deal disappointing amounts of damage, it doesn't flow with the rest of the game. Item three: Force damage deals damage directly to ethereal creatures like wraiths and nothing but DR X/- can resist it. It's a superior element, and the cost should reflect that accordingly. Perhaps +3.

Also its called subdual damage, not sub duel. And it goes away at a rate of (I believe) one point per round. Why on earth does it cost more? In fact, why does it cost anything at all? In my opinion, it should be at least a -1.

In general, the DCs need some pumping up, and the spell focus feat coupled with the wizards constant spellbook bonus, arcadium theorem, and the skill focus feat are a tad too powerful. BTW, all of those things I just now mentioned are level one and grant a net +9 to any one spell.

Again, a very good start, but it needs a little more work and more than a little more balance.

criticalstriker
2007-08-24, 06:21 PM
Devouring Rage

Could we please not kick off on this note? I would like to hear whats wrong with my system, not what you believe to be wrong with all skill-based magic systems.

Thank you for pointing out that flaw, I'll try to edit it out when I get back.

Don't forget the masterwork tool of +2 spellcraft.

Masterwork tool? Would you mind elaborating on this?

Some math on your Damage Spells

Say we wanted to maintain a % of 150.

Translating that back into your orginal Form...

That's Awkward. How about 200%?

Translating Back...

thats still pretty bad. Play with these values though, and keep them consisent, or else why would you not use 1d2?

Yes... thank you for stating what the above poster already stated.

Or some of those new feats that alter the DC check by less based on things.

Or magical items that boost skills.

This is a good point. I should probably create a new skill(or variant of an existing one), that cannot be boosted by such means.

Seriously, if you're going to make a skill based magic system for D&D, don't.

As stated above, please stick to my sister.

You can boost skills easily, and it seems like you didn't even try to use your system.

6d2 = +2
1d6 = +2

Would you rather have a 6-12 damage output or a 1-6 damage output for the same price?

I understand by this point that the damage tables are messed up, there isn't really a need to repeat your selves.

Really, you should just stick with one die size for damage effects. Having multiple choices is basically just cluttering things up, and/or inspiring metamagic abuse.

I'll consent to this point when it comes to the 1D2 and 1D3, as the above posters pointed out, they can be superior. But, I would like to stick with the rest of the die available. I like to give the ability to customize your spells.

I like this, I really do, but, other than some grammar and spelling issues, my main concern is the instant death effect. Only +10? Take some penalties to the casting, like a whole lot of rounds and some components, and BAM. Out goes the major villain, no save or anything. Verbal and somatic components give it -4, +16 for no save and instant death, so right now thats a net +12 DC. Add 2 in for no spell resistance and we're up to 14. Let's assume this guy is level 1. He has 16 intelligence and four ranks in spellcraft. As any prepared magic user, he's taken Skill Focus(Spellcraft). If he's a human, he'll also take spell focus(this crazy spell), bringing his total bonus in spellcraft to +12. Wow. But wait! He's a wizard with a spell book and this particular spell is one of his Arcadium Theorem spells, granting him another +3! With his +15 bonus, the only way he can fail is by rolling a natural one. Seeing this, he'll probably also throw in some extras. For example, +5 makes this spell an immediate action. Now he needs only roll a four (DC 19 against his +15 spellcraft bonus) to kill any single being on anyone's turn (only once until his round comes again, but still on anyone's turn). In addition, he can automatically kill any one creature on his turn as a standard action with a DC of 14 (minus the immediate action, remember) and a bonus of +14 (one less because it isn't his arcadium theorem spell). If he also chooses to use the spell as a swift action, he'll need to make DC 17, but with his +14 bonus at level one, who's worried?

And now the magic user is an absolute beast, dealing death with no regard for even the gods.

Before I begin, I'd like to apologize for any spelling or grammatical errors made on my part. I usually only write these things when I'm dead tired, because thats the only time I can come up with ideas. Unfortunately, due to me writing while tired, my typing skills tend to degrade.

Thank you for pointing this out. I'll probably either increase the DC bonus given from instant death, or remove it entirely.

Also, the sorcerer is just terrible. Half the time his spells fail? Whats up with that? And even if his spell doesn't fail, chances are good it's going to take some pretty heavy penalties.

The wild surge ability: The dice get smaller, but the failure stays about the same. About the same, that is, until we get to the D6. With the D6, there's a 50% chance the sorcerer won't take a negative penalty (assuming, of course, his spell doesn't fail). That's a little bit more like it should be. But then, after this seemingly wonderful time in the sorcerer's life, it happens. He's switched over to a d4 and all of his spells that pass through that ridiculous rule of arcane failure have a 75% chance of taking a penalty. I understand that this is meant to actually lessen their penalty, but that's still not an excuse. You describe them as magical batteries, but half of their spells get destroyed upon casting and the other half get so nerfed that they probably don't deal much damage or even hit the target.

First, I would like to explain that I did this with the sorcerer in an attempt to balance him with the wizard.

The wizard needs to have spells in his spell book, a process that takes days per spell. And costs GP.
A sorcerer, on the other hand, can manifest any spell, any time. No need for a spell book, he can just point and make things go boom.

Moving on, I do realize that the penalty chances remain about the same as the die go down. They aren't really suppose to progressively get lower, but rather, the maximum negatives that the sorcerer takes is suppose to go down.

And finally, he only has a 50% chance of spell failure should he fail the 40% chance(at first level).

This has the potential to be really good. There are just a few things that need to be fixed is all. For example, instead of having the base DC of all spells be 0, start it at 10 or 8. Another idea: You can only cast a spell with a DC equal to or lower than your casting stat.

I actually had it at 10 from the beginning. But, chose to remove it later on in the process of writing. I'll hold off on increasing it, before I get opinions on whether or not creating a new skill(not able to be increased by mundane or magical means) would help.

Moving on from the actual spellcasting, lets look at the spells themselves. Item one: get rid of instant death effects. They're broken in regular D&D, so lets not have them be broken here, too. Item two: the d20 damage die. 1d20 is a very large die, and will probably result in players feeling frustrated that they aren't rolling higher. Also, little to no spells, weapons, or powers use it, so why start now? Not only does it tend to deal disappointing amounts of damage, it doesn't flow with the rest of the game. Item three: Force damage deals damage directly to ethereal creatures like wraiths and nothing but DR X/- can resist it. It's a superior element, and the cost should reflect that accordingly. Perhaps +3.

I actually completely agree. I'll remove the death effects. And thank you for pointing out the force damage thing, I'll bump up the DC increase when I get back.

Also its called subdual damage, not sub duel. And it goes away at a rate of (I believe) one point per round. Why on earth does it cost more? In fact, why does it cost anything at all? In my opinion, it should be at least a -1.

Once again, thank you for pointing this out. I'll edit it when I get back.

In general, the DCs need some pumping up, and the spell focus feat coupled with the wizards constant spellbook bonus, arcadium theorem, and the skill focus feat are a tad too powerful. BTW, all of those things I just now mentioned are level one and grant a net +9 to any one spell.

I would agree, either the DC's need to be increased, or the bonuses to spell craft need to be reduced.

Again, a very good start, but it needs a little more work and more than a little more balance.

I did realize, even while posting, that this system wasn't perfect(thats why I posted it..). I'd like to balance it as much as possible, at least to a point were I can run a game to play test it.

Deesix
2007-08-24, 09:00 PM
I've made a freeform magic system already (skill-based), though for a homebrew system that only resembles D&D at this point. I could help you with this if you wanted, but I'm at work and haven't had the chance to read it completely. PM if you want, and I can probably give you some advice.

As they have probably said before, damage dice are a little dangerous when you get to choose lots of different kinds--stick with d4, d6, and d8 and you should be fine. Especially if you add in a simple "+1" damage thing, capped by the number of dice or so (keeps people from using it exclusively).

Instant death effects are just dangerous. We toyed with them for a while, but people will always find a way to abuse them.

Anyways, I'm sure I'll have more to talk about when I'm not security guarding. This looks like a hell of a start, and I might actually take some concepts to fill in some holes I've been having trouble with (if it's alright with you).

criticalstriker
2007-08-25, 01:05 AM
I've made a freeform magic system already (skill-based), though for a homebrew system that only resembles D&D at this point. I could help you with this if you wanted, but I'm at work and haven't had the chance to read it completely. PM if you want, and I can probably give you some advice.

As they have probably said before, damage dice are a little dangerous when you get to choose lots of different kinds--stick with d4, d6, and d8 and you should be fine. Especially if you add in a simple "+1" damage thing, capped by the number of dice or so (keeps people from using it exclusively).

Instant death effects are just dangerous. We toyed with them for a while, but people will always find a way to abuse them.

Anyways, I'm sure I'll have more to talk about when I'm not security guarding. This looks like a hell of a start, and I might actually take some concepts to fill in some holes I've been having trouble with (if it's alright with you).

I've removed the D2-D3, and the D10-D20 dice. I've also removed the instant death effects.

Also, I'm not exactly sure what you mean by help..? If you mean pointing out flaws you see in my design, and helping me think of ways around it, then sure.

Deesix
2007-08-25, 11:20 AM
I was going to show you some of the ways I solved some of the problems you had with my freeform magic system. So, yes; pointing out flaws and helping you around them would be accurate. I'd love to see a decent system in D&D for this. (There was one book that tried. Had it for a Witch class or something, but it really didn't work properly. Might be worth a look for ideas, though.)

First thing you might want to do is include limits, based on caster level, to stuff like save bonuses, armor class boosts (generally, any sort of buffs). You also might want to have Verbal and Somatic components be assumed (worth less or no negative to the DC.), because that's just free points for doing what all spells normally require.

I'll have more later. Patrol calls.

Oh, yeah. In Enchantment: Dominating someone's mind should be a major effect, whereas something like a Geas should be medium.

Devouring Rage
2007-08-25, 03:12 PM
Honestly, if you want to make a skill based magic system, don't use a skill.

Make every spell have a sort of arcane spell failure, but not arcane spell failure.

Have maybe a feat that decreases the chance of failure and have spells that are better be harder to cast.

I think this is the only way to balance a "skill-based" magic system. It's not really skill based, but still. Also, you could just make a point-based magic system and give magic classes a certain amount of points to make spells.

I know you want to make this skill-based, but by D&D standards it won't work out well unless you take into account all the abuse that can happen with skills. Or get rid of it by just making % rolls with modifiers based on a few variables.

Matthew
2007-08-26, 06:13 AM
Here's a link to Dead But Dreaming's Skill Based Magic System (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32687&goto=nextnewest) for D&D. You might find it useful or interesting. Consider restricting Spell Casting Skills to Ranks only, I find that makes a big difference.

dr.cello
2007-08-26, 06:51 AM
I would suggest (and mind you, I just skimmed) incorporating some form of penalty to casting, as well. While I dislike spells-per-day, I like having casters weakened through their efforts to tell the laws of physics to sit down and shut up. It imposes a soft limit (which is much better than a hard limit, in my vaunted opinion.)

criticalstriker
2007-08-27, 03:20 PM
I was going to show you some of the ways I solved some of the problems you had with my freeform magic system. So, yes; pointing out flaws and helping you around them would be accurate. I'd love to see a decent system in D&D for this. (There was one book that tried. Had it for a Witch class or something, but it really didn't work properly. Might be worth a look for ideas, though.)

I'll gladly accept any advice on my system.

First thing you might want to do is include limits, based on caster level, to stuff like save bonuses, armor class boosts (generally, any sort of buffs). You also might want to have Verbal and Somatic components be assumed (worth less or no negative to the DC.), because that's just free points for doing what all spells normally require.

I thought about this as I made the system. The reason I didn't add caps was because I felt there was a soft cap put in. The fact that to be of any use, they would need to make the duration at least 2-3 rounds. Which increases the DC. And when most of the things on the spells give you bonuses to the DC of the spell, its kind of dangerous to make too big of bonuses.

Oh, yeah. In Enchantment: Dominating someone's mind should be a major effect, whereas something like a Geas should be medium.

There is a common theme with the minor, medium, and major effects. Each effect is based on the preexisting spell levels(minor is 1-3, medium is 4-6, and major is 7-9). And dominating is a fourth level spell(I believe).

That said, I may upgrade it to major.

Honestly, if you want to make a skill based magic system, don't use a skill.

Make every spell have a sort of arcane spell failure, but not arcane spell failure.

Have maybe a feat that decreases the chance of failure and have spells that are better be harder to cast.

I think this is the only way to balance a "skill-based" magic system. It's not really skill based, but still. Also, you could just make a point-based magic system and give magic classes a certain amount of points to make spells.

I know you want to make this skill-based, but by D&D standards it won't work out well unless you take into account all the abuse that can happen with skills. Or get rid of it by just making % rolls with modifiers based on a few variables.

This is a very good idea, and if the skill-based system I'm making right now falls through, I'll probably adjust to try out this idea.

Here's a link to Dead But Dreaming's Skill Based Magic System for D&D. You might find it useful or interesting. Consider restricting Spell Casting Skills to Ranks only, I find that makes a big difference.

Thank you. I'll read through that in a little bit.

I would suggest (and mind you, I just skimmed) incorporating some form of penalty to casting, as well. While I dislike spells-per-day, I like having casters weakened through their efforts to tell the laws of physics to sit down and shut up. It imposes a soft limit (which is much better than a hard limit, in my vaunted opinion.)

Maybe each spell deals 1/4th the DC of its casting in non-lethal to its caster?

criticalstriker
2007-09-27, 05:10 PM
*casts a spell* I bumpeth this thread from the abyss!

On another note, sorry about the long response period, I've been doing a lot of stuff lately, and haven't been able to work on this.

Moving on to the system, I went through and I think I got most, if not all, of the grammatical mistakes in it, so it should be easier to read, now. I believe I've corrected most of the things you all have mentioned.

Are there any other flaws that any of you see? I'm still fully open to the critiquing of this system.