PDA

View Full Version : Crawling Eye and Disembodied Hand?

RaiKirah
2018-01-14, 08:49 PM
Hello!

I’ve got a number of questions about the Warlock lesser Invocations Crawling Eye and Disembodied Hand (CM) which basically boil down to ‘how does this interact with (insert everything in the game)?’

First, for those not familiar some of the relevant details:

Crawling Eye causes one of your eyes to pop out of your head and wander around as a fine creature. It explicitly has its own move which you command via free action, you cannot cast spells through it, but it is affected by any vision based spells you cast. It has a Hide and Move Silently modifier equal to your Invocation caster level and a fixed AC, and uses your stats for everything else (saves, Spot, etc.).

Disembodied Hand causes one hand to detach as a diminutive creature. It has a fly speed, but any action it takes requires the same action to be sacrificed (move for move, standard for standard, etc.). It can do anything you can with a hand, e.g. attack, pick something up, cast a spell w/o a verbal component, etc.. It uses your stats for everything, except that it has a Hide and Move Silently modifier equal to your invocation caster level and a fixed AC.

The questions then, are how does this interact with: Spells, Items, Racial/Templates, etc.

For Spells: are these creatures considered to be ‘you’ for the purposes of targeting, or are they separate creatures? Do they benefit from ongoing buffs cast before they detach? Do they benefit from Buffs cast on the host body after detaching, or do they need to be targeted separately? Can a Crawling Eye activate an Ocular Spell? If so, can it only do so for one cast prior to detaching, or can you cast an Ocular Spell into a detached Crawling Eye?

For Items: are these creatures considered to be part of ‘you’ for item effects? I.e. if I have a Ring of Protection +1 on the non-Disembodied Hand does it get the Deflection Bonus? Does the Crawling Eye? If they count as separate creatures, do they have items slots (1/2 rings for the Hand, face/feet for the Eye)?

For Racial/Templates: do these creatures benefit from racial/template modifiers? E.g. if the host body is Dark template do the Eye and Hand benefit from the Hide and Move Silently bonuses (and thus have warlock level + template modifiers)?

I think that covers most of my questions. Anywhoo, any light that can be shed on these would be appreciated. I assume that most of these answers will be GM dependent and thus technically homebrew, but I was curious if there exist any RAW answers. Thanks!

~RaiKirah

daremetoidareyo
2018-01-14, 10:55 PM
For all other purposes, its statistics are equal to yours.

It appears that the eye and or hand has your skill ranks (not move silently or hide) and feats...

And you can also share specific spells with your eye...

So if you can find a way to use your eye or your own hand as a mount, you can share a soulmeld with it...if you have that feat.

Here are some crazy ideas:
Symbiotic template with your own hand/eye: double your skill bonus. consider taking some ranks in truespeak...

Hidden talent feat: your eye and hand have the same number of PP and the same power as you.

If you have that fiendbinder class, your hand and eye have their own pool of damnation points

take ranks in ride. Your eye can mount your hand using your skill ranks.

If you go warlock 7 to get both invocations and then start an initiator class, your hand, eye, and yourself will all have your maneuvers, so you could really smash some face.

If you take the graft flesh feat, you can graft some tiny arms onto your eyeball so that it can perform maneuvers with your eldritch glaive.

If you do graft tiny arms onto your eyeball, you can take the tremendous charge feat and hideous blow, and have your eyeball ride your hand into battle with a lance. Your hand uses your strength score! So your eyeball would too! And on a charge, the lance does double damage, which is a nice 8d6 at 7th level.

RaiKirah
2018-01-15, 05:09 PM
Hahaha, those are a bunch of uses I hadn't considered! I'd been playing around with a character idea of a warlock theurge (arcane/divine doesn't matter as long as you can get teleport) with extreme agoraphobia who adventures by way of disembodied hand and crawling eye. This let's you take Sanctuary Spell for reasons other than just early entry tricks, as you would be able to get nearly 100% uptime. I'd gotten stuck on the functionality of this idea, rather than come up with other ways to utilize the abilities. Really fun ideas!

~RaiKirah

daremetoidareyo
2018-01-16, 12:00 AM
If you dip cleric, your eye and hand get turn undead and heavy armor proficiency. Grab a few domains and consider trading them out for domain feats.

I believe that sentinel of bharrai advances warlock invocations, so at 3rd level you could have your eye and claw be able to turn into polar bears...with a total of 7 hitpoints. So you're gonna have to find a way to get them to avoid being hit.

Halfling whistler advances warlock levels if you invest a bunch of cross class skills. If you're interested in a whistling eyeball. You may need to find a way to get a bite attack or mouth onto your eyeball for that one.

If the eye and claw share all other stats with the warlock, perhaps the warlock's race can offer some strange benefits. Hengeyokai eyes may be able to shapechange (although it may just change the type of eye). A hengeyokai warlock 7/shapeshifter 1 gets wildshape and it advances warlock invocations on even levels. If you take proportionate wildshape, you can become a size fine animal! That isn't impressive. But if you take aberration wildshape, you can become a symbiont. Consider becoming a mind leach (fiend folio) and taking some poor sap along for a ride. Your hand can turn into a psionic sinew...

jedikiller
2018-01-18, 03:12 PM
I thought the forum was the hand and eye of Vecna.