PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Looking for Comprehensive Monster Rules Redesign "Monsters with Roles"

Scowling Dragon
2018-01-14, 10:22 PM
The monster design rules have always bothered me because they are designed around their species and not akin to what sort of "Role" they would take in combat or heck even ECOLOGY.

At first, I thought I found something worthwhile with "The Genius Guide to Talented Monsters" for Pathfinder (Which also appears to be similar to what ended up being implimented for Starfinder), however examining the Maths made me realise that the monster "Classes" ended up being nearly identical and even at times counter-intuitive. The "Arcane Spellcaster" class for instance would end up having the exact same AC as a "Soldier" class and had higher Touch AC to boot (Not to mention comparable or even at times BETTER saves!)!
I have been searching forever for good monsters as classes Rules for monster design, not just for combat, but also to just feel more sensical (To Differentiate a Trap Spider from a Big Smashy one for instance).

Im at the end of my rope here, anybody got any suggestions? Any system for 3E works just give me something, ANYTHING!

Mike Miller
2018-01-14, 10:58 PM
It has been a long time since I have home brewed a monster, but have you read the 3.5 monster manual's take on making new monsters?

Scowling Dragon
2018-01-14, 11:06 PM
It has been a long time since I have home brewed a monster, but have you read the 3.5 monster manual's take on making new monsters?

Not yet, but if its general guidelines and a friendly shrug Il punch the Monster manual in the face.

Vaern
2018-01-15, 12:37 AM
It's about 8 pages of general guidelines.