PDA

View Full Version : Stone World IC

SilentSilas
2018-01-14, 10:27 PM
All

GRSFX (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fNLEPrNi2A&t=1218s)

The relationship of man and nature is mercurial at best and has been the focus of religion, poetry, philosophy, and science. Men quailed in terror before storms and natural disasters and ascribed to them the dignity of divine interference in mundane realms. Men sought to sustain themselves by toiling in the mud and bringing forth the fruits of their labor, praising first those fickle gods and then their own ingenuity. Men continuously sought to define their relationship with nature, to determine whether it was a thing to be revered or exploited, feared or conquered. Stripped of all romantic notions, people still found it within their conscience to limit their rapacious tendencies, to try and limit their impact on the natural world around them. They had long since supplanted the gods of their antiquity, becoming the movers and shapers of all they could reach.

But nature could still, in some ways, surprise men with its ferocity, with its unpredictability, and its sheer apathy to their designs. Though much of the world had been tamed, so too had men been tamed by their own power. Their nature became languid, their demeanor that of an apex creature too long accustomed to its perch. And when knocked down, when forced to reckon with nature’s cruel vicissitudes, men were often found… Wanting.

You can curse nature, you can run from it, but it is the eventuality, the inevitability, that you will one day be forced to contend with it… And when that day comes, will you be the conquered, or the conqueror?

For four men, that day had arrived over three thousand years since they had been petrified in stone by an unknown force. As winter thawed and the warmer seasons arrived in their part of the world, so too did powerful thunderstorms that would drench the greater area in a deluge unimaginable. For centuries they had unknowingly harbored in an ancient cavern, but now the cycles of time and erosion had cracked their protective shell. Their calcified bodies were softened, returned to what they had once been, and in a tumultuous fashion they were reborn into a Stone World.

Each man found himself immersed in chilling pools of water, their lungs screaming for air as they fought to determine which way was up, to even ascertain where they were. Darkness was interrupted only by distant, ephemeral flashes of lightning followed by the rolling drumhead of thunder. As they clawed their way to the surface and found that their cavern was swiftly flooding with water, their thoughts turned to a quick and sudden imperative: sink or swim, escape this cavern or drown.

Cravix
2018-01-15, 06:39 AM
Barnabas grasps for the color RED
Barnabas tries his best to get a grasp of the situation. Its one thing to wake up in a strange place and even almost be ready to drown. Its another though to wake up naked next to other naked dudes. Man i could really use a beer right now but it looks like id best find make aplan to get out of here.

Will roll for survival in roll20 chat. I am smart IQ and have a rank 1 in survival. Just gonna roll 3d6 and i guess we figure what happens from there.

Sønderjye
2018-01-15, 11:14 AM
A surge of mixed feelings went through feelings went through Oliver as he, in the midst of complete darkness, heard a small crack and felt something wet and cold.

Suprise was the first responds but this was quickly followed with a bolt of happiness and excitment. He had started counting seconds to get an idea of how long he had been having a concious blackout but when he feel asleep the second time he scratched that idea, the count would have too much variation to be worth instead. Instead he spent the time in the blackness on thinking off new strategies for bringing down the monopolies and eliminate starvation. And now.. now he could finally bring them to life!

Then a creeping fear swept over him. Why was it wet? He had been sitting in his office when the... Then the stone completely broke

"Yelp!", was his initial responds as the water washed over him and he immediately regretted it as he swallowed cold water. He flailed his limbs around until he finally realized which was up and down, and with burning lungs he broke the surface and got onto lands. On all fours he spat out the water that he was still having.

Man i could really use a beer right now but it looks like id best find make aplan to get out of here.

'Beers?' he didn't believe his own ears. He shakes his head to try to clear his ears and then turns a little to look at the speaker. After a moment he takes the chance and asks: "Where are we?"

LimSindull
2018-01-18, 10:02 PM
Claude gasps for air as his cocoon of rock splits away from his body. All too late he realizes that he is surrounded by water; His lungs burn as they fill. Quickly, he starts thrashing around in the water, fear gripping him. His arm smacks hard rock to his left so he balls up his legs against it and pushes with all his might.
Water spews forth around Claude as he burst free of its hold. His lungs heave water out of his mouth and nose and reverse to fill with air. Claude coughs as he tries to breath; making his way to find a place to stand and barely notices the other people.

Sønderjye
2018-01-27, 05:47 PM
Hearing the noise of Claude struggling to get on land and he pushes himself to his feet. What had happened?

Given that the other man had come from the same place as him and also were naked it seemed likely that they had the same experience.

He puts a little distance between the two, you can never be too safe, and says: "Hey you. Do you know what happened here? I was sitting in my office, then there was this light and then everything was just blackness."

LimSindull
2018-01-27, 06:17 PM
Claude

Claude spits out some water and looks around the cave. He sees the man standing before him and almost recoils to cover himself. Realizing that things are as bare as they are, he hesitantly says, "You distanced yourself from me. That means that you justify your survival before that of others. Huh, I have no idea what is going on. I was going to visit a colleague. I guess that they work in the same building as you. Have we been kidnapped?"

Sønderjye
2018-01-27, 06:33 PM
"Hey! I've been in the dark for longer than I care to know and we are standing naked in a freakin cave" Oliver says defensively: "Distancing myself was only natural."

He found strange amusement over the possibility that they 'had been working in the same building'. He owned the building. Well, had owned maybe now.

"I have no idea. But I doubt it, security was pretty good. What makes you think we were in the same building?"

Cravix
2018-01-28, 08:21 AM
Well I reckon we should make **** jokes later and help each others out getting out of here.

I seem to not be able to find or access roll20 chat anymore

Sønderjye
2018-01-28, 11:33 AM
I'm not super sure on how roll20 works. This (https://app.roll20.net/join/2923988/0j4Uug) is the old invite thingy and this (https://app.roll20.net/campaigns/details/2923988/stone-world) is the link that I am using. Hopefully one of them will work.
Is it Barnabas intentionally ignoring Oliver's question? I don't mind it OOC but I wanted to check in before assuming.

SilentSilas
2018-01-28, 03:21 PM
This link (https://app.roll20.net/join/2923988/QnAR1Q) should be a good way to get back into the Roll20, Cravix.

All

While the three men bicker amongst themselves, the cavern continues to flood with water. It begins to pool around their waists, frigid and murky. If they don’t act fast, they’re going to be trapped underground and drown to death. Their eyes began to adjust to the darkness, and they could vaguely see a handful of ways to escape the deluge if they were fast.

Meanwhile, the fourth man struggles to clamber out of the hole he was trapped in, but realizes too late that his legs were cut off at the knees. He felt light-headed and weak as his newly depetrified body gushed blood into the water, and he quickly drowned to death, unbeknownst to his fellow survivors.

LimSindull
2018-01-28, 03:37 PM
Claude

Claude looks around at the water coming in. "I suggest we find a better place to talk!" He begins trying to move towards the nearest looking route to the outside.

Cravix
2018-01-29, 06:33 AM
Barnabas looks for any signs of light then starts heading out of the water and out of the cavern.

Sønderjye
2018-01-29, 03:04 PM
Oliver blinks as the sudden realization of water arround his waist hits him. How did that happen without him noticing? Maybe something about the water? The thought sends a chill down his spine, if there was poison in the air or water, it might already be too late.

He hears the erry sound of bubbles comming from somewhere further out in the water. 'Nope. That's definitely not a human' he tries to convince himself, before he follows the two towards the lightest parts of the cave.

SilentSilas
2018-01-29, 09:06 PM
All

Wading out of the flooding cave, the trio clamber up the slippery floor and emerge out onto the surface. The torrential rain slammed against the trees around them, creating an intense cacophony that was difficult to hear over. They stood atop a rocky outcropping rising over the forest, and in the brief flashes of lightning they could see rolling hills stretch off to the north, east, and west. to the south, they thought they could see a stream rushing through the woods from the base of the rocks, glutted by the rains.

Thunder rumbles through the sky as they get their bearings. In the midst of flashes of lightning, they are treated to a much more horrifying sight... all around them on the rock face were the half-crumbled statues of people caught in states of shock, panic, confusion, and surprise... Many had degraded from the elements and had limbs missing or large chunks of their torso and face. It was a tableau of horror, a waking nightmare.

Cravix
2018-01-30, 06:26 AM
Barnabas while shocked tries to get a feel for the situation. It is raining hard and he was naked. His starts to look for suitable shelter. Perhaps a cave that isnt flooding.

Sønderjye
2018-02-01, 01:42 PM
Oliver moves upwards all the way to the entrance of the cave but stops there. He kneels down to touch the water that's flowing into the cave around him to gauge the temperature. If the water was cold it would be highly dangerous to walk out into the rain. Without clothing, cold water and strong wind would cool the body to a degree that they were likely to become sick, and it was only in modern era that a simple flu weren't considered deadly.

If the water is cold he'll share the consern above.

SilentSilas
2018-02-10, 12:14 AM
All

The group huddles together in one of the caves, no longer exposed to the pouring rain but forced to find isolated pockets where the chilly runoff doesn't seep over them. Naked and soaking wet as they are, under these conditions they are still susceptible to the elements... The air is damp and cold, and they shiver despite themselves. If they are going to survive the night with their health intact, they may have to get better acquainted with each other and share body heat for survival...

Sønderjye
2018-02-10, 10:10 PM
Oliver moved his arms up and down rapidly to create warmth. Despite the inappropriate jokes about boyscouts, they had never been prepared for something like that. Most of the advice about staying warm in cold wheather basicly boiled down to get cover, wear proper clothing and don't get wet. Two of which he were grossly violating.

He could still think clearly which meant that the hypothermia hadn't reached a critical level yet. It wasn't sustainable however, not with this much exposed skin.

He turned to adress the two naked men: "So as I'm sure you know we are getting pretty cold and the longer we stay here the colder it gets. Stone is unfortunately a good heat conductor and water doesn't help. You probably know that we could very well die from a too severe drop in body temperature. What you might not know is that even a small drop in body temperature weakens your immune system and if you get sick here you're dead mean. You probably also know that one can decrease heat loss by increasing skin contact with other people." He cleared his throat: "So we. ehm. might need to do that."

LimSindull
2018-02-13, 09:57 PM
Claude

"It seems imperative that we stay alive at least long enough to murder each other. What kind of experiment would this be otherwise?"

He chuckles before looking down, then immediately back up. He looks out the cave wishing for a nice fire, and clothes, and some coffee with a wee bit o rum in it. "Holy ****. Are we going to be sober for the rest of our lives?" Slowly Claude walks towards the others, shivering in the cold.

SilentSilas
2018-02-15, 10:09 PM
All

The three men awkwardly share body heat, huddling close together for warmth in the shelter of the cave. Slowly the adrenaline from their first awakening begins to recede, and the cacophonous drone of the rain proves to have a soporific effect. Slouched against a wall, they slowly begin to fall asleep, one by one their eyelids drooping. They would need their rest...

GRSFX (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qm846KdZN_c)

Claude is the first to wake up, his eyes fluttering open as the chirping of birds alerts him. Outside, bright sunshine spills across a verdant sea, with fog banks rolling between the mighty branches of sycamore, oak, and hickory. The storm had passed, refreshing the forest with might stores of rainwater and now moving on. The forest seemed almost peaceful now, an untouched paradise...

It is not long after that Oliver and Barnabas awaken as well. Getting their bearings, They can see far to the north from their position on the rocky outcropping... In the distance, they think they can even see rolling plains, but it would be a long walk to get there. A sour growl in Barnabas' stomach reminds them all of their imminent hunger... Before they could ever explore far beyond the forest, they needed food, shelter, and fresh water.

Sønderjye
2018-02-17, 05:30 AM
Oliver gave the warm squichy lump of meat he was entangled with a squeeze and couldn't help that something felt off. It took his still half-sleeping brain far too long to realize that it was lack of fur. He had been used to cuddling up with Kimi, his lucher which he used to cuddle up with when they both were living in the wild. He awkwardly remove himself and rolls over, opening his eyes to stare into the cold still moist stone. Right, it hadn't been a dream, and lucher was probably dead at this point. He still wasn't sure how much time had passed but it felt like a long time.

Deprived of the extra body heat the cold quickly sank in and he felt motivated to get to his feet.

"So. I don't know what your goals are but mine for now will have to be focused on surviving and I think we can do that better if we work together." he says to his fellow nudists.

"Clearly we are short on everything so we'll have to focus on which areas are most immediate. As I mentioned earlier disease can kill us way too easily but we can't really do much about that aside from staying warm. There's a very real chance of wild animals being around and we'll need weapons. Sharp stones will have to do for now but spears would really be ideal if we could find something to bind the rock to sticks. Food are important but we can survive roughly 7 days without it and it shouldn't affect us if we are short the first few days. Secondary for that we should probably focus on finding vegetables that can be used for clothing, make beds for sleeping warmer and build something that blocks out the wind."

Cravix
2018-02-17, 06:36 AM
I dont know about you all but id like to find a way to not totally be naked.

Sønderjye
2018-02-20, 03:55 AM
Oliver blinked. It was difficult for him to get a read on the man but it felt like he had ignored everything Oliver just said, and cared more for decency that for survival. He could feel anger boiling up but supressed it. This wasn't time for petty disputes, his life depended on it.

"We need that too", he says with a strained voice: "If you can find some flexible and durable plants you might be able to make a skirt and a sleeveeless short."

With that he leaves the cave to look for sharp rocks, and to take a look around to see where he might be and how long he was petrified.

[roll0]

SilentSilas
2018-02-22, 04:07 PM
Oliver

Oliver journeys across the rock face carefully, knowing that he was exposed and vulnerable should an accident occur. There are plenty of loose, sharp rocks to be found - some the size of his palm, others as big as his torso. It's a brittle stone, reminiscent of shale, cracking easily and creating a dusty coating on the rock surface. He's unable to determine exactly how long he was petrified... But if he was still in DC, then it has undoubtedly been centuries. Exploring the area revealed a stream being fed by an underground spring, with the stream heading south through the forest.

Sønderjye
2018-02-25, 06:22 PM
Oliver looks around for a good long stick and something that can be used to tie a strong knot with. He then picks up a sharp and solid rock, and finds another rock with which he starts grinding the first rock down such that it becomes sharper in the right way. His arms tire quickly, not used to the physically exhausting work and he calls towards the cave: "Would one of you do me a favour?"

While waiting he glances out the horizon. No buildings? It was in some sense weird, even if a lot of time had passed metal didn't just decompose. But that would require either that some catastrophy had happened, which would make him being intact implaussible, or that a lot of time had passed.

If that were the case there should be plenty of metal on the surface and if he could reach high enough temperatures they could skip right past the bronze age. The thought brought a smile to his face which then was followed by a frown. He didn't actually like modern age. Sure, there was a lot of advantages about it but the world had been close to collapsing. Impeeding nuclear wars, gross misuse of third world countries, global warming. It had been heading steeply downwards. He would have to figure out where he wanted things to go, and quickly.

Cravix
2018-02-26, 07:00 AM
Barnabas is going to start trying to getting resources to craft a bow as well as start identifying animal tracks if any in the area.

[roll0]

LimSindull
2018-02-26, 03:26 PM
Claude

Claude looks around. He sits and watches the morning as the other two stake out to find tools and build things.

"What is it that you need?" he answers Oliver. He lays on the ground, looking up at the trees and the sky.

It was almost unbearable, the clean nature.

Sønderjye
2018-03-01, 11:06 AM
"I need you to hit that stone from this angle", Oliver explains as he shows what he means. "One of the first major weapons was the spear, allowing us to fend off animals from a range. Eventually we'll want guns but it'll take more time and resources that is feasible right now".

"Oh, also. My name is Oliver", He says with a smile: "I don't know what's happening but I'm happy to have company"

SilentSilas
2018-03-01, 11:16 AM
All:

Oliver's work making a spear makes some quick headway, though he has doubts that the brittle stone will hold up with repeat use. At the very least, the vines that can be found creeping over rocks and bushes make for tying a tight knot. He'll have to find more resilient materials or produce more spears as time goes on, but for now this will have to do.

Barnabas is able to find what he estimates might make for good materials for a makeshift bow.... However, most sticks bend and snap after only a few tugs, not really the best suited for what he has in mind. Similarly, the vines don't have the elasticity needed to draw an arrow well. He is able to find tracks in the mud, however! They appear to belong to some sort of split-hoofed mammal, and there were a lot of them that came through. They were heading south around the rocky outcropping.

Claude begins to get a tan, but he better be careful - it won't take long for his lazy rear end to get a sunburn.

LimSindull
2018-03-01, 02:59 PM
Claude

Claude helps Oliver try to craft some spears.

"I'm not sure what we are hoping to accomplish here Oliver. I'm not what some people would call a hunter." He laughs to let off the stress of their situation.

"When we get some of these ready to go, we should explore the area and see if there are some caves that aren't flooding and start trying to get some wood piled in those. It was a little too cold for me last night, no offense to either of you. I'm Claude, I'll probably have to ask your name ten more times."

Sønderjye
2018-03-01, 11:54 PM
"They aren't for hunting, they are for protection" Oliver explains: "There's basicly 3 top threats right here. One is being killed by animals, which is what the spears are for. One is from disease for which we will need to make a bed and something for heat conservation at night. And one is for lack of food."

"Hah! well I'm sure we all were pretty out of it. Not every day that you find yourself drowning in a cave"

Once Claude have finished up two stone and Oliver have put them on sticks he says: "I agree, let's go explore." He is ready to spend up to three hours trying to find good shelter before he'll suggest that they stop and instead start making sleeping arrangements.

Cravix
2018-03-04, 06:23 AM
Barnabas is going to go fight the biggest non poisonous leaf he can find and start collecting multiples of them. He is also going to keep a constant eye on his surroundings. He would also take note if he found fresh water such as a stream or at least signs one would be near bye.

SilentSilas
2018-03-04, 07:31 PM
Oliver and Claude

The duo finish working on their spears and get to exploring their surrounding area. By mid-day, they've explored most of the area around the rocky outcropping where they awoke - dense forests surround the area, though the hills flatten out the further south they go, following the stream. To the southwest is a particularly heavily wooded area in a hollow between the larger hills, where the canopy is so thick they felt they might need torches or some other form of illumination to see.

However, their options for shelter are limited - they can either try to use raw materials to fashion some sort of basic shelter like a lean-to or teepee, or continue using the cave. Their stomachs are beginning to rumble from hunger, and they'll need to search for food.

Barnabas

Collecting a large pile of maple leaves while the others explore, Barnabas also sees more fauna in the area, mostly small mammals such as squirrels and woodchucks. He also spots some wild game, pheasants, that could be good if they could be caught...

He quickly finds a stream on the south side of the rocky outcropping, which is flowing south through the woods.

Sønderjye
2018-03-05, 06:12 AM
"Let's pause it for now. Let's gather plants for bedding and food. Sleeping on cold stone might easily kill you."

Rol for finding food [roll0]
Roll for finding and creation bedding [roll1]

Cravix
2018-03-05, 06:32 AM
Barnabas brings everything he gathered to the unofficial camp next to the cave.

Found a spring thats a good source of water and looks like some pheasant are close by. MMM Pheasant burgers are good eatings.

Barnabas back at "camp" will start working on trying to work these leaves with some vines and make some sort of "private area" covering. Perhaps a maple leaf g-string.

SilentSilas
2018-03-07, 11:48 PM
All

The day begins to wane as the group comes back together at the cave. While Barnabas tries to piece together some attempts at what could be charitably called clothing, Oliver and Claude busy themselves with preparing food and bedding. The first day of the rest of their lives has been filled with a lot of firsts like that. The bedding is a little... Scant... The food, a collection of edible leaves, fruits, nuts, and fungi, are barely enough to take the edge off of their appetites, and the maple leaf thong leaves much to be desired.

But they were alive and had survived their first day. As the gloom began to gather, though, the temperature slowly dropped further and further. They might want to try building a small fire to help keep warm.

Cravix
2018-03-10, 06:29 AM
Barnabas recalls all the different hunting trips he has taken and relies on those memories to find some good wood and perhaps there is some flint close by.

/3d6

Cravix
2018-03-10, 06:43 AM
Sorry messed the formula up

[roll0]

Not sure why this dice roller is being dumb so i just rolled in roll20 chat

Sønderjye
2018-03-13, 09:43 AM
Oliver shot a look at their primitive bedding and felt a sense of pride. This was similar to that time years back that he had fled society and just stayed in the woods. This was more drastic of course, not having clothing or tools. Still there were a certain satisfaction in seeing the physical fruits of a days labour.

He collects some wood, trying to keep his thoughts off his complaining stomach. Sure, he knew that there wouldn't be any adverse effects of lack of food for a few days and certainly less so when they are able to find some food, but his stomach didn't seem to get the message.

The smoke would be uncomfortable but at this stage he could deal with a little uncomfortable. They'd have to sleep close tonight however.

LimSindull
2018-03-13, 09:54 AM
Claude

Claude sits with his back against the wall, hoping to that a something would wander in here and cook itself for them. He bothers himself with small tasks and tries to pass the time without listening to his stomach. Barnabas's talk of pheasant burgers earlier got him rather worked up. Now it seemed as if it would be fend for dinner tonight.

'I vote that tomorrow we remember that we are the last surviving members of our species and that as we suffer in hunger, our whole genetic line suffers with it." He laughs a little. The bad joke is an obvious ploy to bring up any subject that isn't food.

Cravix
2018-03-14, 05:43 AM
Barnabas looks at Claude with the eyes of a disappointment. Dont know about you I plan on eating Pheasant tomorrow. Barnabas says this as he uses a stone to sharpen one of the stone arrowheads.

Still wanting my character to find flint or something along those lines so we can start this fire

Cravix
2018-03-20, 08:25 AM
Barnabas start looking extra nervous. Nobody around him was moving or saying anything. Oh no everyone is turning back to stone, or perhaps im stone, or perhaps im stoned and dreaming al of this up.

SilentSilas
2018-03-20, 08:43 AM
All

Barnabas manages to get a small fire going in the cave, providing extra warmth to help them get through the chilly night. He remembers a survivalist trick of warming up large stones to help give additional heat when held close during sleep as well. In the meantime, Claude uses the last waning rays of daylight to go search for a little more food to take the edge off, coming back with some edible grasses, shoots, and nuts. Not a delightful culinary experience, but it helps.

Night falls as they gather into the cave around the small fire, listening to the crickets chirp out in the woods. Every so often, an errant breeze rustles the treetops, making it sound like a whisper is traveling through the forest. They all begin to slowly succumb to their need for sleep...

LimSindull
2018-03-20, 11:30 AM
Claude

Claude offers to share his bits of food with the others, though it is likely to only make them hungrier. "Do you suppose this will taste better if we think of pheasants?"

Later on, after they are all huddled around their delightful new fire Claude mentions,"Not too bad a day fellsa. This fire is really nice, much better than last night. Let's keep it moving up from here on out. Barnabas for MVP tonight, but we'll see who brings the bacon tomorrow." and chuckles before trying to get some sleep.

SilentSilas
2018-03-24, 03:02 PM
I'm canceling this game. Thank you all for playing.