PDA

View Full Version : Is the Blightburner kineticist good?

ScarletThief
2018-01-15, 12:20 AM
So while searching through the pfsrd for ideas on my next character I found this

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/occult-adventures/occult-classes/kineticist/archetypes/paizo-llc-kineticist-archetypes/blightburner-kineticist-archetype/

And thought that it could be loads of fun. My main concern is how much talk I've heard of kineticist in general being a terrible class and was wondering if thisbarchetype improved upon the problems it faces at all, also the setting will be post apocalyptic hence the choice of radiation type kineticist.

Malroth
2018-01-15, 12:51 AM
The big problems ascociated with the kenetecist class are patheticaly low damage out put, weak, situational utility powers and both of those abilities dealing what amounts to non lethal CON damage every time you use them. This archetype does nothing to improve damage output which is still vastly less than an archer fighter would be putting out. It takes away mildly useful defensive powers and gives you a low damage radiation aura that will kill your friends if they're anywhere near you, kill your stealth if you are away from your friends and is too weak to speed up combat agianst your enemies. The ability to take burn to prevent ability damage from radiation might be mildly useful if you have no cleric and do have a safe place to sleep but in any other situation is actually detramental as burn cannot be healed by any means besides rest.

As to my opinion, this archetype does absolutely nothing to offset the weakness inherent to the Keneticist class and makes a few of the almost passable class features worse.

ScarletThief
2018-01-15, 01:48 AM
Well that's dissapointing to hear I was envisioning this awesome ghoul like radiation warrior that can destroy their foes with the plague that ravaged the world. Didn't even think about glowing like a warhead killing allies ugh.

ScarletThief
2018-01-15, 02:01 AM
Any suggestions for something thematically similar

Quertus
2018-01-15, 03:38 AM
Any suggestions for something thematically similar

Reskinned / refluffed Warlock?

Kurald Galain
2018-01-15, 04:13 AM
My main concern is how much talk I've heard of kineticist in general being a terrible class and was wondering if thisbarchetype improved upon the problems it faces at all,

Yes, it's a rather terrible class; and no, this archetype doesn't improve on that. Even worse, it forces you to pick one of the weakest elements, and replaces some of your talent choices by mandatory picks, all of which are pretty bad. So even by the kinny's (rather low) standards, this archetype rates as one of the worst choices.

I suggest going for a cleric with the Radiation domain (a subdomain of Earth) and taking the Irradiate spell as soon as possible.

ScarletThief
2018-01-15, 05:24 AM
That sounds like it could work I was so excited to make a character who might be able to wield a radioactive blade as well but seems like kineticist is kinda a mess

Kurald Galain
2018-01-15, 06:20 AM
That sounds like it could work I was so excited to make a character who might be able to wield a radioactive blade as well but seems like kineticist is kinda a mess

For a radioactive blade, consider the Magus with his arcane pool enchantment ability. He also gets the Irradiate spell at level 7.

Manyasone
2018-01-15, 01:04 PM
For a radioactive blade, consider the Magus with his arcane pool enchantment ability. He also gets the Irradiate spell at level 7.

Always promoting the magus, right :smallbiggrin: You have a wonderful guide, but if OP wants a kinny and 3rd party is allowed maybe he should check out this link
http://spheresofpower.wikidot.com/other-options
Most stuff is from forum hotshot N.Jolly
It's all solid

N. Jolly
2018-01-15, 02:36 PM
Always promoting the magus, right :smallbiggrin: You have a wonderful guide, but if OP wants a kinny and 3rd party is allowed maybe he should check out this link
It's all solid

Everything but that dark magic stuff is mine, yeah.

Personally, with the legendary kineticist base, blightburn kineticist gets a lot better to me.

Dr_Dinosaur
2018-01-15, 07:41 PM
It's all solid

Honestly, the Spheres of Power “Elementalist” class does Kineticist right. Plus all the abilities of the Blightburn archetype can be replicated (and generally improved on) using spherecasting, including the radiation blade

Manyasone
2018-01-16, 01:48 AM
Honestly, the Spheres of Power “Elementalist” class does Kineticist right. Plus all the abilities of the Blightburn archetype can be replicated (and generally improved on) using spherecasting, including the radiation blade I know, but is it a new system. Most people are reluctant to learn a new magic system. But you are correct in your assessment

ScarletThief
2018-01-17, 02:21 PM
I've been interested in spheres of power for a good while now didn't know it was applicable to this just another reason to learn

Dr_Dinosaur
2018-01-17, 04:39 PM
I've been interested in spheres of power for a good while now didn't know it was applicable to this just another reason to learn

Oh good! It’s a great system, and pretty easy to learn imo. There’s actually a Spheres of Power wiki for it with all the info from published Spheres books on it (the magic stuff’s all in blue for ease of use).

Just focus on Destruction (for kinetic blast and the radiation/fire aura), Protection (resistance to ability damage), and Light (glowing, plus some nice buffs/debuffs)!