PDA

View Full Version : Servants of Tharizdun?

Primal Fury
2018-01-15, 12:48 AM
Who actually serves this guy? I know especially crazy mortals do, but I mean outsiders. Protean and slaad are creatures of chaos, sure, but they don't want oblivion (or at least most don't).

Would they be aberrations of some kind? Maybe some kind of messed up, far realm angel?

Hugh Mann
2018-01-15, 01:31 AM
A decent number of Tharizdun's servants are evil elementals and mortal servants. After being imprisoned Tharizdun tricked people into thinking that it was a being known as the Elemental Eye, and also tricked the Princes of Elemental Evil into servitude. So by proxy the servants of the Princes of Elemental Evil are also the servants of Tharizdun.

As a general rule of thumb the Cult of the Elemental Eye seeks to break the Material Plane to its base Elemental properties. The Cult is itself split into 4 camps, one for each element, and they spend most of their time trying to backstab one another. The Princes all seem to believe that the The Elemental Eye will grant them power, but they don't want to share that power with the other princes.

Blacky the Blackball
2018-01-15, 02:40 AM
Basically, Tharizdun wants to destroy the world and his worshippers know this.

They think that by helping him destroy this one they'll be given power - maybe even be the new gods - in Tharizdun's new world that will replace it.

He's lying to them. Should he succeed in destroying the world, he's not going to create a new one.

Creatures of any type might believe the lie, although those of good alignment aren't likely to be motivated by it to join him.

Primal Fury
2018-01-15, 10:09 AM
Elementals... Are there any other outsiders that want the same thing? They know what he's all about and are still down to clown on existence?

Hugh Mann
2018-01-15, 12:49 PM
If nothing else there are the outsiders that Tharizdun creates. There is an elder evil known as Shothragot that follows Tharizdun. It is described in dragon magazine 362 and 361.

Primal Fury
2018-01-15, 01:19 PM
He's made outsiders himself? Where can I find those?

hamlet
2018-01-15, 03:28 PM
Just pointing out, though it's not binding in any way, but in the original myth, Tharizdun and the Elder Elemental Evil were specifically not the same beings. Two quite separate entities. I believe it was Monte Cook that conjoined them.

Anyway, who would serve him? Well, pretty much any entity out of its mind and intent on the utter destruction of . . .everything. I honestly can't think of specific people, but the top tier omnicidal maniacs for sure. Your average person, though, would never have heard of Tharizdun. So it's probably somebody who knows quite a bit or is connected to or being manipulated by somebody with a lot of lore.

Hugh Mann
2018-01-15, 06:06 PM
He's made outsiders himself? Where can I find those?

As far as I can tell there are no stats for any except Shothragot. The implication that they were destroyed when Tharizdun was sealed away.

jojo
2018-01-16, 04:16 AM
No one really "serves" Tharizdun in the same sense that say, Yochols and Draaegloths all "serve" Lloth.

In terms of mortal "worshippers" and other outsiders etc, I would hesitate to call them "servants" since insanity and goals aren't mutually exclusive but insanity and plans to achieve those goals usually are. Generally BBEGs and other clearly insane individuals "worship" Tharizdun but he's never been particularly... discerning in who is actually granted divine magic/power.

Xuc Xac
2018-01-18, 11:52 PM
Some might serve Tharizdun because it temporarily suits their purposes. They like the direction the train is going but they're planning to hop off before they reach the end of the line.

And what about garden variety, run off the mill nihilists? Some people just want to immanentize the eschaton.

Nifft
2018-01-23, 11:12 PM
AFAICT the big thing about Tharizdun is that he's an archetype of emptiness, a being of un-being. Also his domains include Madness and Force, both of which are unusual.

So, things that un-make might be his servants.
- Allips (madness and draining)
- Gibbering Mouthers

From the Epic monster palette:
- Force Dragons
- Shapes of Fire

In terms of moral NPCs, you could think about a [Force] mage who gazed too deep into the source of [Force] effects and got corrupted -- Bigby or Mordenkeinen might be interesting choices.

ksbsnowowl
2018-01-28, 06:22 PM
As far as I can tell there are no stats for any except Shothragot.

There is also the Black Cyst. Both are from a Dragon Mag article that coincided with Elder Evils, giving Tharizdun [background] and Shothragot [primarily] (an injured, sleeping avatar of Tharizdun) the Elder Evils treatment.

There was a Dungeon Mag article at the same time that gave the "climax dungeon" of the Elder Evils treatment of Tharizdun.

There is a web archive copy of the first article that can be found. (https://www.reddit.com/r/UnearthedArcana/comments/51ofb5/shothragot_the_avatar_of_tharizdun/)

There is another Dragon article that gave stats for lots of the Greyhawk deities, and it mentions that Tharizdun's favored "form" is actually just a formless black blot (much like Shothragot and the Black Cysts).

Most anything from the Far Realm would certainly fit the theme of Tharizdun and/or the related representations of the Elemental Eye (the iconography in the chapels from Against the Giants, showing tentacled scenes, and the altars...)

If you are running a game using the Taint rules, Taint Elementals (HoH) would be another good candidate for being creatures of Tharizdun.

Basically, Tharizdun wants to destroy the world and his worshippers know this.

They think that by helping him destroy this one they'll be given power - maybe even be the new gods - in Tharizdun's new world that will replace it.

He's lying to them. Should he succeed in destroying the world, he's not going to create a new one.

Creatures of any type might believe the lie, although those of good alignment aren't likely to be motivated by it to join him.

I agree with all of this, with the exception that the very top-teir high priests (who are also the most insane) probably know Tharizdun intends to destroy everything, but they are crazy enough to serve him still. For a similar literary example, see Ishmael's understanding of the Dark One's plans in the Wheel of Time series, compared to that of the rest of the Forsaken.

In terms of moral NPCs, you could think about a [Force] mage who gazed too deep into the source of [Force] effects and got corrupted -- Bigby or Mordenkeinen might be interesting choices.

Find that Elder Evils article from Dragon Mag, and this does happen to a member of the Circle of Eight. Jallarzi Sallavarian delves too deep while trying to investigate what is going on.

ksbsnowowl
2018-03-03, 07:25 AM
I just came across something from Pathfinder (originally from the Cthulhu mythos) that would fit in well as an antagonist of Tharizdun, and his servants, due to Tharizdun's habit of whispering secrets into the dreams of his followers (especially if you were to play it up as these whispers being prophetic in nature).

The Hound of Tindalos (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/bestiary2/houndOfTindalos.html) is an amazing creature with very cool abilities, and I really want to make use of them. Just my luck, one of my campaigns secretly has a Tharizdun plot in the background, and if my PC's pay enough attention, they might get the opportunity to go back in time to fix some very messed-up things about the campaign world.

As I run a 3.5 game, I went ahead and back-converted the stats as best I could. Here they are:

The below stat block is as faithful a conversion from Pathfinder as can be made, though it has 10 less hit points, and less “ranks” in Concentration.

Hound of Tindalos. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .CR 7
Always NE Medium Outsider (evil, extraplanar)

Init +9; Senses darkvision 120 ft.; Listen +18, Spot +18
Languages Aklo (PF dark language with otherworldly origins)

(+5 Dex, +5 natural)
hp 75 (10d8 +30 HD); DR 10/magic
Immune mind-affecting effects, poison
Fort +10, Ref +12, Will +12

Space 5 ft.; Reach 5 ft.
Base Atk +10; Grp +13

Atk Options Ripping gaze
Special Actions Angled entry
Spell-Like Abilities (CL 10th)

Constant – Air walk

At will – Fog cloud, invisibility, locate creature

3/day – Dimensional anchor, discern location,

greater scrying (DC 20), haste, slow (DC 16)

SQ Angled entry, Otherworldly mind

Feats Blind-Fight, Combat Reflexes, Improved Initiative,

Weapon Finesse
Skills Balance +12, Concentration +3, Hide +18, Intimidate +16,

Jump +14, Know (Arcana) +16, Know (Geography) +12,

Know (Planes) +16, Listen +18, Move Silently +18,

Sense Motive +18, Spot +18, Survival +18 (+20 on other

planes or to keep from getting lost/avoiding hazards),

Tumble +14
Advancement 11–30 HD (Medium)

Organization solitary or pack (2–12)

Treasure none

in ways other creatures cannot comprehend. They may use
greater teleport (self only) once per round as a swift action and
plane shift (self only) 3/day as a standard action (caster level 10th).
A hound of Tindalos can use these powers anywhere, but its
destination point must be adjacent to a fixed angle or corner in the
physical environment, such as a wall, floor, or ceiling (as
determined by the GM); temporary angles created by cloth, flesh,
or small items are not sufficient. It cannot use these abilities to
enter curved architecture or open outdoor environments.
Otherworldly Mind (Ex) Any non-outsider attempting to read the thoughts

of a hound of Tindalos or communicate with it telepathically takes
5d6 points of nonlethal damage and must make a DC 18 Will save or
become confused for 2d4 rounds. This is a mind-affecting effect. The
save DC is Charisma-based.
Ripping Gaze (Su) 5d6 slashing damage, 30 feet, Fortitude DC 18 negates.

A creature that succeeds on its save is immune to that hound's gaze
for 24 hours. Damage caused by a ripping gaze can be defeated by
damage reduction, but it bypasses DR/magic and slashing. The save
DC is Charisma-based.

Hounds of Tindalos are otherworldly predators from beyond the bounds of known reality, usually appearing only when summoned by reckless spellcasters. Little is known about their nature outside of blood-spattered notes and deranged writings of the nearly insane survivors of their attacks. Although possessed of great cunning and cruel intellect, the hounds show no evidence of understanding or communicating with mortals. They enter the physical world on their own in pursuit of those who have trodden too much the netherways beyond time and reality—time travelers (be it physical travel or simply divinatory glimpses forward or backward in time) and creatures that teleport without regard to how this movement impacts subtle magical currents in the multiverse particularly draw their interest.

Lord Torath
2018-03-05, 09:03 AM
Could Spheres of Annihilation be creations of Tharizdun?

hamlet
2018-03-05, 10:55 AM

If not created by him, then certainly something he'd have fun letting his followers play with.

ksbsnowowl
2018-03-05, 11:01 AM

They certainly fit the theme of Tharizdun. As minor artifacts, there were several of them made, though the knowledge of how or ability to make them has since been lost (at least, according to the way 3rd ed treats artifacts). That would certainly mesh with the concept of all Spheres of Annihilation in Greyhawk being the creations of Tharizdun, and since he was locked away, the knowledge and ability to make more has been lost.

I like it ;)

Lord Torath
2018-03-05, 12:24 PM
The only source of Spheres of Annihilation I know of is from Spelljammer. The Spelljammer, to be specific.When The Spelljammer has a captain, the ship/beast can fire a 10' diameter sphere every round from its tail, which splits into 2d6 regular ones if they reach a planet or asteroid. The Cloakmaster Cycle, though portrays The Spelljammer as sort of the antithesis of Tharizdun, at least from what I've heard about it.

Andor13
2018-03-05, 04:29 PM
The generic mortal servant is anyone who has been driven to nihilism by too much pain/suffering/horror/dank memes and seeks to end the world to make all the pain stop.

Another class of servants could be anything that's tired of existing, but is really difficult to kill. Frex the comic character Grimjack became cursed to be continually reborn until Cynosure, the city of his birth was destroyed. (A tall order since it was a dimensional nexus.)

So any similar class of being might reasonably serve Tharizdun because while they really just want to suicide, they have to take the rest of the universe with them to do it. Ancient Titans, Artifacts whose purpose has passed and which could only be destroyed by being thrown into a volcano that isn't there any more, Gods whose mortal followers died out when the first aboleth was still kept in a goldfish bowl.