PDA

View Full Version : How many feats am I suppose to take?

BlueFountain
2018-01-15, 01:39 AM
Only been playing D&D for a couple months and just made my second character (backup in case in game things cause my current to vanish from the party for one reason or another). Making the second char though I realized two things

1) I forgot Feats for my first char

2) I can't figure out how to figure out how many feats my character is suppose to have. Or how many I'm allowed to pick.

If it helps and varies depending on class my first character is a Drunken Monk, and the second is a Cavalier Fighter.

Elric VIII
2018-01-15, 01:53 AM
It depends on a few things. Each class gets an option to take an Ability Score Increase (ASI) at 4th, 8th, 12th, 16th, and 19th level. Fighters get additional ones at 6th and 14th as well. Feats are based on levels in a class, not overall character level. Note that you can either get a feat or and ASI at a given level, not both.

In general, given a point-buy, I'd say most characters will want to spend 2 ASI on maxing out their primary stat and maybe 1 on a secondary stat. Therefore most characters will have the space for 2-3 feats over 20 levels, with fighters getting a few more. There's also feats that grant +1 to a stat, so those will give you more feats if you have odd numbers in your stats.

I think the first place to start is by asking what level you are right now?

LeonBH
2018-01-15, 01:54 AM
Whenever you reach certain levels in your class that lets you pick ability score increases (+2 to one stat or +1 to two stats), you can choose to pick a feat instead of the ability score increase.

For example, if you're a level 3 Fighter with a Strength of 16, you can increase that to Strength 18 at level 4, or you can leave it at Strength 16 and take a feat.

You have as many feats as you have ability score increases. You can also get a free feat at level 1 if you are a Variant Human, which is the only way to get a feat at level 1.

hymer
2018-01-15, 01:55 AM
When your class level reaches 4, 8, 12, and some more (and some bonus ones for rogues and fighters) you get an Ability Score Increase (ASI), as indicated in your class description. If your table plays with feats, you can choose to forego a given ASI, and instead get a feat.

Edit: Shadowmonks abound!

BlueFountain
2018-01-15, 01:58 AM
It depends on a few things. Each class gets an option to take an Ability Score Increase (ASI) at 4th, 8th, 12th, 16th, and 19th level. Fighters get additional ones at 6th and 14th as well. Feats are based on levels in a class, not overall character level. Note that you can either get a feat or and ASI at a given level, not both.

In general, given a point-buy, I'd say most characters will want to spend 2 ASI on maxing out their primary stat and maybe 1 on a secondary stat. Therefore most characters will have the space for 2-3 feats over 20 levels, with fighters getting a few more. There's also feats that grant +1 to a stat, so those will give you more feats if you have odd numbers in your stats.

I think the first place to start is by asking what level you are right now?

I... think I get it now based on what you said. But it's also late and I'm tired (and again a D&D newb) so I may still not be right ^_^'

The characters are level 6 currently.

BlueFountain
2018-01-15, 02:00 AM
Whenever you reach certain levels in your class that lets you pick ability score increases (+2 to one stat or +1 to two stats), you can choose to pick a feat instead of the ability score increase.

For example, if you're a level 3 Fighter with a Strength of 16, you can increase that to Strength 18 at level 4, or you can leave it at Strength 16 and take a feat.

You have as many feats as you have ability score increases. You can also get a free feat at level 1 if you are a Variant Human, which is the only way to get a feat at level 1.

Wait, you get +2 stat increases at those levels? I thought it was a +1...?

LeonBH
2018-01-15, 02:01 AM
Wait, you get +2 stat increases at those levels? I thought it was a +1...?

It's a +2 to one stat, or +1 to two stats. So if you had a Fighter with the following stats:

Str 16 Con 13 Dex 13

You can turn that into:

Str 18 Con 13 Dex 13

Or:

Str 16 Con 14 Dex 14

DeadMech
2018-01-15, 02:30 AM
Somewhere between 0 and all of them. Depending on eventual level and preference. Oh and also depending on if your DM allows you to take feats since it's an optional rule (a popular optional rule but still optional).

With magic stat boosting items the way they work in this version technically you don't "have" to use any of your ASI's actually increasing your ability scores. One attunement slot and your primary stat can be made 19 (+4) even if it was previously a -4 modifier. Though you aren't guaranteed to get the appropriate magic items if your DM doesn't want to play ball. I haven't played enough to say if a stat boosting item is worth one of your three attunement slots. Allot of useful looking stuff wants your attunement slots.

I keep hearing that in 5e you don't "need" 20 in any attribute. Though playing a wizard right now, I kinda look forward to raising the DC's of my spells. Having a creature blinded for one round out of the 5 times I've cast that spell has been demoralizing. Web and grease haven't worked once yet either... Not sure if DM is cheating or if I'm just that unlucky. Maybe I should have played a diviner.