PDA

View Full Version : A quick rules question about prestige classes

Grug
2007-08-24, 10:17 AM
since I couldn't figure out how to ask the Sage about it, I'll try the talented people on the Giantitp forums.

If a character does not have the prerequisite for a prestige class but would gain them as part of levelling up, can they take the prestige class or do they need to wait another level?

Example: A level 5 rogue wants to take the Lunging Leaper prestige class. he has all the prerequisites except for the feat SKill Focus: Jump. If she gains a level, could she get Skill Focus: Jump feat first and then take a level in Lunging leaper?

sorry If its confusing.

Amiria
2007-08-24, 10:19 AM
No, you must fullfill all the prerequisites before you take the first level in a PrC.

And you get the basic class features of a new level (BAB, save bonuses, i.e. Eavasion or one more rage per day) before you select feats and skills. So in your example you would have a level of Lunging Leaper to get the last prerequisite of that PrC. As I said, that's not allowed.

Spiryt
2007-08-24, 10:30 AM
In other words, when you are advancing on the new level, first thing you must choose is a class you are going ti take level in. Feats, skill points, ability imrovement e.c. later.

(At least I think so)

goat
2007-08-24, 10:40 AM
In other words, when you are advancing on the new level, first thing you must choose is a class you are going ti take level in. Feats, skill points, ability imrovement e.c. later.

(At least I think so)

Well, you'd have to choose class before skills, otherwise you wouldn't know how many skill points you get or what your class skills are.

brian c
2007-08-24, 11:15 AM

(At least I think so)

This is correct. If you have a PrC that requires 8 ranks in X skill, for example, your first level of the PrC is level 6, since you need to pick up 5th level in something else to get that 8th skill rank.

mudbunny
2007-08-24, 11:28 AM
If a character does not have the prerequisite for a prestige class but would gain them as part of levelling up, can they take the prestige class or do they need to wait another level?

They need to wait another level.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/prestigeClasses/prestigeClasses.htm
Prestige classes offer a new form of multiclassing. Unlike the basic classes, characters must meet Requirements before they can take their first level of a prestige class. The rules for level advancement apply to this system, meaning the first step of advancement is always choosing a class. If a character does not meet the Requirements for a prestige class before that first step, that character cannot take the first level of that prestige class. Taking a prestige class does not incur the experience point penalties normally associated with multiclassing.

Emphasis mine.

Grug
2007-08-24, 12:13 PM
Okay thanks. Topic closed.