PDA

View Full Version : No wonder belkar is always mad...

outlander
2007-08-24, 11:40 AM
Wow, as the heroes were sailing away from AC didja notice how the only ones they semed to give a damn about were Haley and Roy, and roy's dead!

Not one of out heroic trio seemed to give a gnat's gnut about belkar.

If that's what people think of him no wonder he's so POed at them all the time...

Kish
2007-08-24, 11:41 AM
Wow, as the heroes were sailing away from AC didja notice how the only ones they semed to give a damn about were Haley and Roy, sand roy's dead!

Not one of our heroic trio seemed to give a gnat's gnut about belkar.

If that's what people think of him no wonder he's so POed at them all the time...
You have cause and effect reversed there. Or more colloquially, the cart before the horse.

Balathustrius
2007-08-24, 11:45 AM
Likely he creates that behavior towards him as a reaction to life as a short "halfling." Always overlooked due to his height (pun intended), his inner psyche has come to anticipate and unconsciously bring about that sort of relationship. Why does he have only friends twice as tall as himself? Why does he not see 'eye-to-eye' with the rest of his party?

Psychoanalysis gives us the answer. :smallfrown:

Wolfman42666
2007-08-24, 11:52 AM
You have cause and effect reversed there. Or more colloquially, the cart before the horse.

Okay. I don't know what that means, though I think I got the gist.

While I agree with the OP Belkar does deserve it, if only because he's so willing to slaughter anything that moves.

Wait. Perhaps V's comment excluded Belkar not for the reasons stated above (I think the reasons are stated above :there needs to be a simile with a "lost" expression:) but because A) V had seen Elan reaction to being reminded Belkar was with her and didn't want to risk it again, or B) because it never occured to V that the halfing would allow itself to be no longer functioning that time tommorow (unlikely I know, but I'd like to see Belkar's relationship with V develop and in a friendly way, not a bad way. His is efficent after all and of any of them I'd expect V to appreciate that.)

Kish
2007-08-24, 12:04 PM
Belkar isn't psychotic because his teammates don't much care whether he lives or dies. Rather, his teammates don't much care whether he lives or dies because he's psychotic.

Remember, Elan openly expressed a preference for leaving Belkar in the Azure City prison when they were escaping.

Dunamin
2007-08-24, 12:07 PM
It means that the rest of the Order thinks less of Belkar because of his actions, not that Belkar's actions are caused by the rest of the Order thinking less of him.

However, both events may now be active parts of a cycle that keeps going:
Belkar commits atrocities -> the Order thinks less of him -> Belkar feels neglected and disregards their concerns -> the Order thinks less of him -> Belkar feels neglected and disregards their concerns.

chibibar
2007-08-24, 12:14 PM
Remember... the OoTS keeps Belkar to protect the world FROM Belkar.... Belkar alone in the world is a bad thing. (at least according to Roy)

So why worry about a guy who you are trying to protect the world from?

Rumex
2007-08-24, 12:57 PM

"Cart before the horse" refers back to horse-drawn wagons/chariots/et al. If you put the horse in front of the cart, the horse pulls the cart, and all is fine. If you try to reverse things, it gets all mucked up. It's an old admonition to keep things in their proper order, usually used to somebody who's about to run off and do things out of said order.

Which shows how it applies here- Belkar being psychotic comes before the OOTS not caring what happens to him.

Wolfman42666
2007-08-24, 01:13 PM
Right.
I didn't mean that I didn't understand the phrases meaning, "I got the gist" means excatly that, I was asking for what Rumex posted, so thanks to her.
I haden't heard that particular phrase before.

But I does make much more sense now so thanks, and since when remebering a word or phrase I link it with another, accosaite with the proverbial pot comes to mind, could be cause they were both assigned to Belkar though:smallbiggrin:

And no op Belkar is psychoctic because he has (as :roy: pointed out) "deep seated emotional problems) probably caused by his childhood (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0125.html), despite saying it was a lie it's probably true, still despite his unreliablity the oots still look after him if only so he doesn't hurt anyone* (*everyone) else

BobTheDog
2007-08-24, 01:29 PM
Is accosaite a word? :smallconfused:

the mysterian
2007-08-24, 03:59 PM
ahem belkar likes to kill stuff. fact. why? because its fun. not because he is unloved

given that is there any reason the party should be concerned, though it is quite odd for elan not to care being the naive sap that he is. they keep him around because he can dish out the pain more than your average ranger and thoroughly enjoys his job.

and do they have reason to be? belkar has survival skills (though he might not know that), and to be honest is a very capable combat warrior(hell he has gone toe to toe with miko, and technicly beat her with the lead sheet) and has sneak skills

also why should they be? belkar is in a bloody heaven to him, stuck in a city of orange potential victims.

the order has no actual reason to be worried.

Orzel
2007-08-24, 04:13 PM
Why should anyone worry about Belkar. He has the best collection of HP, AC, Skill points, AB, and Saves in the OoTS. Haley's a wimp and Roy's dead. He's the best one to survive in a dangerous city alone vs an army. Even better than V and Durkon.

Belkar was crazy and mad before he joined the OotS. Probably before he hit level 2.

Spiryt
2007-08-24, 04:17 PM
ahem belkar likes to kill stuff. fact. why? because its fun. not because he is unloved

The truth is, as always, between 125 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0125.html).

At least if his "roleplaying for xp" story is true :smallwink:

Chronos
2007-08-24, 05:11 PM
"Wha? They be a fine group, for humans. And an elf."
"And a halfling."
"No, I left 'im out on purpose." (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0079.html)

John Campbell
2007-08-24, 06:33 PM
Why should anyone worry about Belkar. He has the best collection of HP, AC, Skill points, AB, and Saves in the OoTS. Haley's a wimp and Roy's dead. He's the best one to survive in a dangerous city alone vs an army. Even better than V and Durkon.
Except for the minor problem that he is in a city, and that army is made up mostly of living creatures, so if he does lethal damage to any of them, his Mark of Justice kicks in, and he suddenly becomes a whole lot less effective.

And, personally, I suspect that the whole "roleplaying XP" thing was a pack of lies crafted specifically for the purpose of gaining said XP.

Elfanatic
2007-08-24, 06:42 PM
What in the nine blue hells is a "gnat's gnut"?

Kish
2007-08-24, 07:42 PM
What in the nine blue hells is a "gnat's gnut"?

Something more valuable than Belkar's life.

:smallbiggrin:

Porthos
2007-08-24, 07:49 PM
Well, we've had some small (very, very small) glimpses into the inner psyche of Belkar. Besides #483, the only other unguarded glimpse into Belkar's Mind that didn't have to do with Stabbity Death that I can recall was in On the Origins of PCs:

In it, we see the normal "taunt and kill every thing that moves" Belkar that we've all grown to "love". However, at a criticial moment, Belkar breaks out the GD-IT swear phrase. Immediately afterward, the prison wall he is standing next to explodes.

And then Belkar does something very remarkable for him....

He lies on the floor, almost in a fetal position, and whimpers, "I'm sorry! I'm sorry! I won't curse anymore! Please don't smite me!" He then pauses, realizes that nothing further is happening to him, and goes back to being Regular Sarcastic Non-Plussed Belkar.

Now I realize that in the DnD world, the existence of gods are verifiable, and that they have been known to stage Divine Intervention. Still. It seemed extremely out of character for Belkar to react the way that he did in that scene.

How do we extrapolate that small point into a Larger World View of Mister Belkar? Beats me. But it is a fascinating little glimpse into a rarely seen side of Belkar: Vulnerability

BelkarPwnsAll!
2007-08-24, 07:53 PM
Wow, as the heroes were sailing away from AC didja notice how the only ones they semed to give a damn about were Haley and Roy, and roy's dead!

Not one of out heroic trio seemed to give a gnat's gnut about belkar.

It was probebly becuz they didnt want Elan jumping off the ship by feeling that haley might die to belkar...

Elandegenerate
2007-08-24, 08:45 PM
i doupt belkar gives a kobolds ass about what anyone thinks of him <_<

mockingbyrd7
2007-08-25, 01:49 AM
Well, we've had some small (very, very small) glimpses into the inner psyche of Belkar. Besides #483, the only other unguarded glimpse into Belkar's Mind that didn't have to do with Stabbity Death that I can recall was in On the Origins of PCs:

In it, we see the normal "taunt and kill every thing that moves" Belkar that we've all grown to "love". However, at a criticial moment, Belkar breaks out the GD-IT swear phrase. Immediately afterward, the prison wall he is standing next to explodes.

And then Belkar does something very remarkable for him....

He lies on the floor, almost in a fetal position, and whimpers, "I'm sorry! I'm sorry! I won't curse anymore! Please don't smite me!" He then pauses, realizes that nothing further is happening to him, and goes back to being Regular Sarcastic Non-Plussed Belkar.

Now I realize that in the DnD world, the existence of gods are verifiable, and that they have been known to stage Divine Intervention. Still. It seemed extremely out of character for Belkar to react the way that he did in that scene.

How do we extrapolate that small point into a Larger World View of Mister Belkar? Beats me. But it is a fascinating little glimpse into a rarely seen side of Belkar: Vulnerability

That's really interesting, not only did I lose my copy of OtOoPCs, but I only skimmed it when I actually did read it.

David Argall
2007-08-25, 02:42 AM
i doupt belkar gives a kobolds ass about what anyone thinks of him <_<

Well, he does care a little, under the right circumstances...

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0042.html

More generally, he does like people being terrified of him.

outlander
2007-08-25, 06:14 PM
Well, one thing I think is totally unfair to the belkster is that people think he'd actually hurt haley. Really, he's not that much of an ogre's anus and it's totally unfair to assume he is.

I don't see him hurting haley, in a lot of ways I think he likes her despite the way she broke his bone and everything.

So it really is unfair of peeps to be like "OMFG HALEY'S ALONE WITH BELKAR, WE GOTA SAVE HER!!!!!" and I hope belkar actually saves her ass at least once so people have to thank him for iyt and realize jst how off base they were thinking he'd hurt her.

Then maybe someone in the group would actually give a gnat's gnut about him.

Sc00by
2007-08-25, 06:40 PM
That's really interesting, not only did I lose my copy of OtOoPCs, but I only skimmed it when I actually did read it.

Sounds like you need to remember who you lent it to ;) Or buy a new one!

the mysterian
2007-08-25, 06:42 PM
Except for the minor problem that he is in a city, and that army is made up mostly of living creatures, so if he does lethal damage to any of them, his Mark of Justice kicks in, and he suddenly becomes a whole lot less effective.

i thought that only worked on creatures that aren't considered "monsters" and hobgoblin seems to fall under monster in the azure city's eyes

Kish
2007-08-25, 08:35 PM
i thought that only worked on creatures that aren't considered "monsters" and hobgoblin seems to fall under monster in the azure city's eyes
Aside from the fact that Roy would never have agreed to an exception like that ("considered monsters," what a loophole), nothing like that has ever been even hinted at, and he didn't try to fight Yokyok, who was a kobold.

the_tick_rules
2007-08-25, 08:42 PM
poor belkar, nobody likes him :smallfrown:

yoshi927
2007-08-25, 09:26 PM
Well, Belkar certainly still has his fans, right? :biggrin:

John Campbell
2007-08-25, 10:24 PM

By the terms of Belkar's Mark of Justice (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0295.html), "he can't deal lethal damage to any living creature within the bounds of any city, town, or village" without activating it. Nothing about monsters, nothing about sentients, just living. This is why, during the battle on the wall, he was bypassing the hobgoblins and attacking only the zombies. The whole "sexy, shoeless god of war" thing took place outside the walls.

If he gets in a fight with hobgoblins inside Azure City, he's going to have to beat them unconscious (taking an attack penalty to do non-lethal damage, unless he acquires a sap or something that does it by default) and have Haley finish them. This is not merely less effective, but a lot less fun.

Zeku
2007-08-26, 12:02 AM
Remember that Belkar is aligned evil. In situations requiring a difficult decision, he will decide to murder and betray. Varsuvius, knowing this at least as well as anyone else, and being wont to express himself more precisely, would not consider Belkar to even care about this new situation, except to the extent that it inconveniences his own evil plans.

You are merely assuming that Belkar is 'sad' because he was surprised that Varsuvius was not actually hiding nearby, invisible. Perhaps he was just surprised, with no attendant thought process or emotion. This would be more consistent with his character, and with his feud with the wizard.

mythusmage
2007-08-26, 12:23 AM
Belkar is not mad, he is sanity impaired.

mockingbyrd7
2007-08-26, 12:59 AM
Belkar is not mad, he is sanity impaired.

Strip 17 reference for the win!

...I just did that off the top of my head, didn't I? Crap, I'm an OotS Nerd! :smalltongue:

Dark Wolf
2007-08-26, 06:53 AM
On the topic of being in the city. Much like how much wood can you take off a table before it stops being a table, how much of the city can be destroyed before it ceases being a city?