PDA

View Full Version : An XBox 360 and...

Jibar
2007-08-24, 12:40 PM
So, after some negotiations, I should be able to pick myself up an XBox 360, and a few games, but... well, what?
So far, all I've wanted the thing for was to avoid upgrading my PC for BioShock. I'm not really sure what other games are on the console, let alone which ones I'd want.
Crackdown and Dead Or Alive 4 spring to mind but that's really it.
Any ideas?

Basalock
2007-08-24, 12:45 PM
That would depend on what type of game you like. If you like strategy Battlefeild for Middle Earth 2 is a great game, though its not an rpg I love The Darkness, Bioshock I hear will be good though I am hesitant to get it since you have to kill 5 year old girls:smallfrown: (or so I hear)

Tom_Violence
2007-08-24, 12:54 PM
Bioshock, Mass Effect, Assassins Creed, that game about the two criminals one of which is a mental - them's the ones I'm getting.

Ranis
2007-08-24, 09:54 PM
Well I can definitely help in that category Jibar, what kinds of games do you like?

TheOtherMC
2007-08-24, 10:12 PM
Jibar, I'm shocked your amazing cat-muffin mind didn't think of Dead Rising. Really, the first game you should ever get for a 360.

EDIT: You've moved from Electrocution to.....Lollita? ......huh...... Hear its nice there this time of year :smallbiggrin:

Beleriphon
2007-08-25, 12:40 AM
Jibar, I'm shocked your amazing cat-muffin mind didn't think of Dead Rising. Really, the first game you should ever get for a 360.

I'll second that, its equal parts scary, creepy and outrageously hilarious.

Jibar
2007-08-25, 01:39 AM

Hmm... Dead Rising, another to add to the list.

Well I can definitely help in that category Jibar, what kinds of games do you like?

Well, anything really. Except, for racing and sports games.
I only thought of DOA 4 because my sister would love to play, and Crackdown appeals to my sandbox addiction.

Logic
2007-08-25, 01:58 AM
Gears of War is not a bad game if you like third person shooters. It is a little more team oriented than most.

If you are a Marvel Comic geek of any stripe, then Marvel: Ultimate Alliance should score some points for you.

I personally could not keep my hands off of Star Trek: Legacy, but I am an uber fan of that franchise. The controls will turn most off to the game.

Chromehounds is a nice game if you like customization, and giant killer robots. Slightly slow paced, so this is not much of an action game, more like a tank simulator.

Phantasy Star Universe is not a bad choice if you are an uber-fan of anime, Diablo, or just like killing things for XP, with a smattering of terrible cutscenes filled with horrible characters, dialouge, and voice actors. The gameplay is nice though.

Splinter Cell: Double Agent is the only stealth action game before Assasin's Creed is out (which it may be, but I have no idea about some of these things.) I find the current edition of Splinter Cell to be maddeningly difficult.

I don't recall any of the other games I own that I would recommend, that have not also been mentioned by others. I hope this helps you out.

Captain van der Decken
2007-08-25, 03:53 AM
Overlord is quite a good 'un.

Destro_Yersul
2007-08-25, 04:08 AM
Guitar Hero is good, if you don't mind the price tag.

Halo 3, once that's out.

Everything else I think you should get is listed. Including and especially Bioshock. I will personally eat the soul of anyone who owns a 360 and not Bioshock. *twitch*

Captain van der Decken
2007-08-25, 04:48 AM
Eh, Bioshock ain't all it's cracked up to be.
*snigger*

Ranis
2007-08-25, 06:48 AM
Eh, Bioshock ain't all it's cracked up to be.
*snigger*

Blasphemy!!!!! *burns house down*

Ahem.

To add to the list of good games on 360:

Crackdown is a very, very good step in the right direction as far as it's genre. It's what GTA should have been from the very beginning, and it's loads of fun. The game is rather short, though, and most of the achievements are for driving cars, which I absolutely couldn't stand in the game, personally.

Oblivion is what it is-a better Morrowind in every way. And there's actually a story this time, too ;)

In Overlord you get to control a horde of minions to dominate the land. It's essentially Microsoft Pikmin, but it's loads of fun. I couldn't put it down until I beat it, then I still haven't played it through again yet.

Keep in mind that Microsoft is doing something silly and releasing all of their good games (about a dozen of them) in the next two months, so if there's something out now that doesn't pique your interest, and if nothing coming out soon will, then I wouldn't pick up a 360. We're getting Lost Oddysey, Blue Dragon, Two Worlds, Timeshift(FINALLY), Conan, Halo 3, Halo Wars, and a couple others that I can't think of right now off of the top of my head.

Blue Dragon fangirl squeals

EDIT: Oh, there's Fable 2 in the near future, it looks promising as well.

Archonic Energy
2007-08-25, 07:39 AM
I am hesitant to get it since you have to kill 5 year old girls:smallfrown: (or so I hear)

:smallfurious: why does everyone focus on that one aspect of the game... you don't HAVE to kill them, you can save them you know!

i suppose it's just because you CAN kill them... although they are hardly innocent.

[:smallfrown:] i wish my laptop was working[/:smallfrown:]

Ranis
2007-08-25, 08:23 AM
It never actually shows you killing them either, there's just a cloud of black smoke then you have some kind of worm-thing in your hand and that's it.

And they're technically already dead before you "save" them anyway.

Deleran
2007-08-25, 12:48 PM
I really like Viva Pinata. Also: this. (http://www.metacritic.com/games/xbox360/scores/)

Seraph
2007-08-25, 02:26 PM
Armored Core 4. Giant Robot Battles the way they were meant to be.

tannish2
2007-08-25, 03:17 PM
did someone just refer to oblivion as "morrowind but better in every way"?
no major spoilers included but a few minor ones

1. do not compare the 2 combat systems (oblivions had nothing to do with morrowind's. and was unquestionably better)
2. morrowind had a story.... and it wasnt terribly cliche/predictable/overdone like oblivion i half expected my character to wake up after the dragon thing... thank fred for shivering isles
3. fast travel... but no levitation flying teleportation super jumps or other cool spells like that? makes alteration quite useless. mysticism is pretty useless in oblivion as well.
4. the graphics were better, but it was only a time thing, and it wasnt anything you havent already seen a hundred times before in other games until the expansion though i will admit, graphics have 2 purposes, telling you if thats a wall, a door, or a dragon, and looking pretty, oblivion is one of the few games to accomplish the latter (at least on the PC version, idk about the Xbox360 version)
5. no conflicting quest lines? less variety of quests? such a simple plot? no shroom towers? while i admit i do like the arrow thingys theres something to be said for finding stuff on your own (and when you do it in oblivion its mind****ingly hard because the directions the NPCs give are absolutely terrible, that, and the wide variety of areas that dont you get to go to, some of which were very promising

Hermit
2007-08-25, 03:29 PM
did someone just refer to oblivion as "morrowind but better in every way"?

1. do not compare the 2 combat systems (oblivions had nothing to do with morrowind's. and was unquestionably better)
2. morrowind had a story.... and it wasnt terribly cliche/predictable/overdone like oblivion i half expected my character to wake up after the dragon thing... thank fred for shivering isles
3. fast travel... but no levitation flying teleportation super jumps or other cool spells like that? makes alteration quite useless. mysticism is pretty useless in oblivion as well.
4. the graphics were better, but it was only a time thing, and it wasnt anything you havent already seen a hundred times before in other games until the expansion though i will admit, graphics have 2 purposes, telling you if thats a wall, a door, or a dragon, and looking pretty, oblivion is one of the few games to accomplish the latter (at least on the PC version, idk about the Xbox360 version)

Yeah, agreed on this. I like Oblivion's fast paced combat, but then I'm a pretty big FPS fan so it suits me well. Oblivion's story was dissapointing, as I kept expecting a plottwist which never came.
I was convinced that the Council was going to be involved wiht or infiltrated by the Mythic Dawn, and I was seriously expecting the Mysterium Xarxes to corrupt Martin as part of some fiendish double-cross on the part of Mankar Cameron, but it never came
Morrowind's story may have lacked some of the epic scale Oblivion was trying to aim for, but it was far more involving. And Tribunal is an absolute gem of an expansion too. Shivering Isles is good, but once you finish the main quest there is nothing else to do.

If you like Japanese style RPGs (Final Fantasy et al) Blue Dragon sounds very good.