PDA

View Full Version : Gnomish Gunslinger

Sir Conkey
2007-08-24, 02:43 PM
Gnomes have always been very ingenious in their inventions, and as such when they discovered gunpowder, many new dangerous inventions were created. After many, many failed experiments (and subsequent deaths) it was discovered small amounts could be used as effectively as large amounts without the bothersome running for cover. Over the course of a gnome generation guns where created, at first one shot pistols and rifles, but the gnomes didn't take long to find out how to fire multiple shot with the same gun. Thus many gnomes started using guns instead of more common forms or weaponry, among these gnomes some started to perfect their gun handling ways, becoming masters of a weapon most didn't even know existed.
Adaptation: There are no real racial boundaries for the gunslinger, but gnomes would be most likely to use these weapons. You could also adapt this to hand crossbows in a campaign without access to gunpowder.

Requirements
To qualify to become a Gnomish Gunslinger, a character must fulfill all the following criteria.
Skills: sleight of hand 8, bluff 8
Feats: quick draw, exotic weapon specialization (pistol), two weapon fighting
Base Attack: BAB +3
Special: Must have won a duel with somebody of the same HD using only your pistols, doesn't matter what weapon they used.

Class Skills
The Gnomish Gunslingers class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Bluff (Cha), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Listen (Wis), Sense Motive (Wis), Sleight of hand (Dex), Spot (Wis), Tumble (Dex)

[b]Gnomish Gunslinger
{table=head]Level|Base Attack<br>Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+1|
+0|
+1|
+0|Confusing hand trick

2nd|
+2|
+1|
+2|
+1|precise shot (as feat), long shot (as feat)

3rd|
+3|
+1|
+3|
+1|Ricochet shot

4th|
+4|
+2|
+4|
+2|Parallel shot,

5th|
+5|
+2|
+5|
+2|gunman’s rage[/table]

Confusing hand trick- At 1st level the gunslinger learns how to dazzle his opponents by spinning his pistols around with his hands.
The gunslinger has to make a DC of 20 using his sleight of hand bonus + gunslinger lvl. Any creature with an Int score of 3 or higher watching the display must make a Will save (gunslinger lvl, + sleight of hand modifier, + bluff modifier) or be dazzled as long as the gunslinger keeps it up plus 2 rounds to realize the gunslinger has holstered his guns. Attacking ends this immediately but dazzled opponents have a -4 t AC

Feats- At 2nd lvl the gunslinger gets both precise shot and long shot whether or not he would ordinarily apply for them

Ricochet shot- At 3rd lvl the gunslinger uses his knowledge of physics and is able to bounce his bullets off hard surfaces to hit opponents with half cover, opponents with full cover are treated as half cover unless completely surrounded. To do this a gunslinger must make two attack rolls, 1 to rebound the bullet correctly (DC 15) and 1 against the enemies AC.

Parallel bullets- At 4th lvl a gunslinger can fire both his guns at the same target with one attack roll, if he fails the attack roll both bullet miss, this can be used in conjunction with confusing hand trick for an easier chance to strike.

Gunman’s rage At 5th lvl the gunslinger becomes able to do a special kind of rage, Once per day a gunslinger can enter a rage that increases his Dex by 8 points that lasts for the entire encounter, this bonus to Dex only effects attack rolls done with his guns and his AC. After the rage is finished the gunslinger is fatigued.

-In my campaign the guns have 5 shots, take a full round action to reload and deal 1d10 damage

-Overpowered, underpowered? What do you guys think?

de-trick
2007-08-24, 02:48 PM
seems cool i think its a nice but shouldn't it have exotic weapon pistols as a pre

also at 5th level i think you should be able to not blow your hand of with a natural 1

Sir Conkey
2007-08-24, 02:59 PM
your right about the exotic weapon, in my campaign gnomes are automaticaly proficient with them, but for anybody else it makes sense.
Even an experienced gunslinger takes dmage from a natural 1, it makes what they do that much more dangerous

Korias
2007-08-24, 04:09 PM
If its a Gnomish Gunslinger, then a Pre-Req should be Race: Gnome. Just like a Dwarven Defender has Race: Dwarf as a pre-req.

starwoof
2007-08-24, 06:20 PM
I'm writing up my own gunslinger class, I hope you don't mind if I steal a few things, eh? That said I think that this class is a bit weak. Not to mention that isn't how saves work (look at the rogue for an example of good reflex).

I would also simplify Ricochet Shot. Make it a strait attack roll that reduces a target's cover. I'm positive that theres a way to do that with bows...

Damage Control
2007-08-24, 07:07 PM
I don't really get the bluff requirement. Maybe replace it with Craft (alchemy) so they have to be able to make gunpowder?

Dryad
2007-08-24, 07:29 PM
Okay.. Bluff and Sleight of Hand: 8 ranks. That says lvl 6 enter.
B.A.B: 3. Why? So arcane casters can join? Note the skills; SoH is cross class for just about everything but rogue and bard. So that says lvl 13 for most classes. Multiclass makes a respectable lvl 9. So why the B.A.B prereq?
The weapon specialization: Prereq fighter lvl 4.

That means you can only ever join on lvl 9. Which makes a nice average of b.a.b 4+2=6. Perhaps 8.

That's a bit disconcerting. You have to focus everything on the class, and multiclass accordingly. Multiclassing is a tad against the idea of a prestige class, which states you specialize in one thing, and become extremely well at it.

Oh, and 1d10 dmg for a ranged one hander, light weapon multishot? I'd say: Too high. A repeater hand crossbow deals only 1d4, and that one's exotic, too.
Since you've got quickdraw: Stack up on pistols. Take the Rapid Shot feat.
Full attack action at B.A.B. 9, and, since you're a dexy char at lvl 9: Dex 20. (And gloves of archery or other magical item... Let's make it 22.)
That is, normally, +15/+10/+5. With the required weapon focus, on a full attack action, two +1 pistols and the improved two weapon fighting and point blank shot feats (hey, fighter levels for all the feat requirements leaves room) you get:
+14/+14/+14/+9/+9/+2.
Daze the opponent for one round. This lowers their AC for that one round by -4. True, after your full attack, it is canceled, but you get your attack at a -4 AC, which technically means you get a +4 on your attack rolls. So +18/+18/+18/+13/+13/+6. All of these bullets deal 1d10+2, and if you were smart enough to take those four levels of rogue for your skills, then each and every bullet strikes with +2d6 sneak attack damage. Sure, you have to sheath and draw every two rounds, but it's worth it at level 10.