PDA

View Full Version : What spells do you pick for dragons?

Spiritchaser
2018-01-15, 09:25 AM
I’m currently setting up a few NPC dragons to help or hinder the PCs, and I’ll be using the spellcasting option for them

What are people’s favourite spells for a dragon to have?

For campaign specific reasons I likely won’t pick teleport (only one dragon would get a 7th level spell anyway) just because it would conflict with part of the story.

Any suggestions appreciated!

Hruken
2018-01-15, 10:07 AM
I'm a fan of using spells to give a dragon access to other elemental damage types. When the red dragon uses a lightning bolt on the party after they made sure to get fire resistance, it is glorious (but rather evil).

Misty step can be amazing as well, fly down into melee range, attack, then misty step back up out of range. Really frustrates melee characters, and plays into a dragon being intelligent.

If it is a fun spell for a player to use, it is a fun spell for a dragon.

Mith
2018-01-15, 10:33 AM
Spells that allow terrain control are also good. It allows the dragon to alter the battlefield against the party.

Tanarii
2018-01-15, 02:14 PM
Generally speaking, not direct combat spells. A Dragon is usually better off just pounding PCs into small pieces using it's breath weapon and physical attacks.

I do think a little about the personality of the dragon through. Red and White dragons tend to be a little direct. So a blasty spell wouldn't be totally out of place. Especially ones that add significant range.

For Black & Blue dragons, I usually think of them as stalking and hunting the PCs like a giant cat. So spells that help with that are good. Also spells that let them hit and run, or get away in case of trouble, to come back later one and wreck stuff on their own terms. So Concealment, Misdirection, Escape, & Evade. Especially Invisibility and/or Pass Without Trace.

For Green dragons, ones that let them manipulate the mind of humanoids are top notch, obviously.

Balthasaurus
2018-01-15, 02:24 PM
If you need spells for metallic dragons who are allied with the party, I'd personally recommend the spells that Sphinxes get in the Monster Manual. Heroes' Feast is good thematically, and could be a generous reward for the players. Divinations spells like Legend Lore could be used to aid the players in a way that won't affect their own capabilities too much. Metallic dragons wouldn't be too out of place with spells from the cleric spell list.

Lord8Ball
2018-01-15, 02:34 PM
A dragon sets up its territory with mirage arcane making the entire mile radius difficult terrain and dark as night when he spots the party from above. From there he stays outside of range and casts improved invisibility. It then uses its 120 ft darkvision to its advantage and blasts breath weapons and spams aoe spells off cooldown all the while being unseen. That my friend is how a op a dragon would be with spells. A true terror that anybody at any level would be afraid of. If you have the dragon use magic items from its hoard well yeah... :smallcool:

Tanarii
2018-01-15, 02:50 PM
A true terror that anybody at any level would be afraid of.
I'd hope so, given that the dragon would have to be CR 21, since Mirage Arcane is a level 7 spell.

Demonslayer666
2018-01-16, 10:56 AM
You could always lean on Pathfinder and look up what they have for spells there.

Spiritchaser
2018-01-16, 11:16 AM
You could always lean on Pathfinder and look up what they have for spells there.

Heh. The edition I played before 5e was second edition.

It’s been a while

Demonslayer666
2018-01-16, 04:22 PM
Heh. The edition I played before 5e was second edition.

It’s been a while

Fortunately, all of the Pathfinder stuff is easily located on-line.

For example, I googled "Pathfiner red dragon" and this came right up:
https://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/dragons/dragon/chromatic-red/

GlenSmash!
2018-01-16, 05:53 PM
Generally speaking, not direct combat spells. A Dragon is usually better off just pounding PCs into small pieces using it's breath weapon and physical attacks.

I do think a little about the personality of the dragon through. Red and White dragons tend to be a little direct. So a blasty spell wouldn't be totally out of place. Especially ones that add significant range.

For Black & Blue dragons, I usually think of them as stalking and hunting the PCs like a giant cat. So spells that help with that are good. Also spells that let them hit and run, or get away in case of trouble, to come back later one and wreck stuff on their own terms. So Concealment, Misdirection, Escape, & Evade. Especially Invisibility and/or Pass Without Trace.

For Green dragons, ones that let them manipulate the mind of humanoids are top notch, obviously.

This is pretty much how I do it too.

Unoriginal
2018-01-16, 05:59 PM
For dragons, a key thing would be spells that have a lot of range. Either more than their breaths (to have a chance to hit even farther) or at least equivalent (so that they can use them instead of the breath without approaching).

Self-buffs are also good, but anything that requires the dragons to be in melee range without letting them hit in melee is difficult to be made worthwhile.