PDA

View Full Version : A (maybe stupid) question about wearing magic items

Threeshades
2007-08-24, 05:35 PM
Hey, everyone

The question I have might sound stupid but i want to make sure. As we all know in D&D you are allowed to wear only one magic ring per hand, one amulet per neck, one cloak per back, etc.
But does it matter how the item in question is actually worn. I mean it of course has to be in the right place (Armour bracers on the legs dont work for example).
But the question is, what if i let my character put on her spider cloak as normal but fold it together and stuff it under her backpack or belt, or into her armor, shirt or anything. Just so it doesnt hang down all the way when she is climbing walls and ceilings?
Would the cloak still work?

blue_fenix
2007-08-24, 05:39 PM
what if i let my character put on her spider cloak as normal but fold it together and stuff it under her backpack or belt, or into her armor, shirt or anything. Just so it doesnt hang down all the way when she is climbing walls and ceilings?

As a dm I would say that yes, the cloak still works, as long as the player is not trying to break the rules or do some bizarre cheese. For example, a cloak of invisibility (ala harry potter) has to be worn in such a way that it actually covers you

Starsinger
2007-08-24, 05:42 PM
Hey, everyone

The question I have might sound stupid but i want to make sure. As we all know in D&D you are allowed to wear only one magic ring per hand, one amulet per neck, one cloak per back, etc.
But does it matter how the item in question is actually worn. I mean it of course has to be in the right place (Armour bracers on the legs dont work for example).
But the question is, what if i let my character put on her spider cloak as normal but fold it together and stuff it under her backpack or belt, or into her armor, shirt or anything. Just so it doesnt hang down all the way when she is climbing walls and ceilings?

First, there are no stupid questions. Second, Yeah I'd totally let that slide. Third, I'd let people gain bonuses from an item type, even if it's not really that as long as it takes up the same "slot" metagame wise. But like, if your character concept is this gypsy dancer with tons of bracelets, you could have your amulet of armor be just another bracelet in game, I'm fine with that... as long as you know that regardless it takes up your bracer slot. Or if you wanted your headband of intellect to be a bracelet, you don't get to put anything on your head as a head slot item.

The_Werebear
2007-08-24, 05:46 PM
I would let it slide. I did a wizard once who had Thick Glasses of Intellect +6 rather than the headband.

Citizen Joe
2007-08-24, 05:48 PM
I just read the cloak of arachnida (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#cloakofArachnida) description. It grants spider climb, but also protects from webs. To that end, I believe it needs to cover you, not be tucked away. I don't believe it will flop down as you are worried. Instead I believe it will conform more closely to your body, particularly when active.

Starsinger
2007-08-24, 05:50 PM
I just read the cloak of arachnida (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#cloakofArachnida) description. It grants spider climb, but also protects from webs. To that end, I believe it needs to cover you, not be tucked away. I don't believe it will flop down as you are worried. Instead I believe it will conform more closely to your body, particularly when active.

See, yer applying logic to a magic item. So what if it protects you from webs. Boots of the Winterlands protect you from cold (and possibly heat IIRC) but only cover your feet, not your entire body.

ranger89
2007-08-24, 05:51 PM
Details of the cloak aside, as DM I would definitely let this slide. As long as it's about character flavor and not about bending or breaking the rules, it's all good in my book.

Love the +6 Thick Glasses of Intellect, btw. I may have to use that one. :smallbiggrin:

Thanatos 51-50
2007-08-24, 05:51 PM
That looks completely kosher to me!

As a side-note, I'd say no to a Cloak of the Manta Ray being worn in the same manner, due solely to the fluff.

Threeshades
2007-08-24, 09:07 PM
Okay, thanks for the help, guys. That sounds very good to me.

Just imagine i would try to sneak past some guards along the ceiling.
"I didn't know we had moiving arrasses in the castle." - "We don't, why.... THIEF!!!"

tannish2
2007-08-25, 04:01 AM
seems good.... unless its hiding something with a perception based effect, an animated instument in a bag of holding for example.... o crap i just tried to apply physics to a magic item... now i have to decide which arm to cut off, and what to do it with

and yes, there are stupid questions... but i have yet to see anything even approaching one on this website

and dont be ashamed of your noobishness! were all noobs, except those of us who used to be noobs, and are not any longer.... or are going senile, and drifting back into noobishness but arent quite there yet (they are fun)