PDA

View Full Version : Feats for Paladins

MeklorIlavator
2007-08-24, 05:40 PM
As the thread title suggest, I'm looking for feat ideas for a paladin, using The How-It-Should-Be Paladin, v2.0, by Fax Celestis. I'm supposed to be making a fronliner because everyone else already has their stuff picked out.
His stats are
Str 14
Dex 7
Con 16
Int 10
Wis 13*
Cha 14*
*These were technically 11, but my DM gave me 5 points to spread among them in any way I liked.

Though I am mainly concerned with feats, if you have any suggestions towards switching abilities around, or even switching classes, speak up.

JackMage666
2007-08-24, 05:43 PM
Well, let me start by saying - Ow. Those stats kinda hurt.

And, I'm not too sure on Fax's paladin, but I know Complete Champion has some awesome feats for the PHB Paladin, which really knock it up a notch (like automatically quickening all Paladin spells). I don't know if they'd be compatable with Fax's though.

Korias
2007-08-24, 05:44 PM
If you need feats as a paladin, try getting some feats that boost your combat power. Power attack (And later, Cleave and Great Cleave) Are good choices, as are Weapon Specialization so you can get +1 to attacks as it appears your level 1.

I would switch Wis and Dex, cause as a frontliner, you need Dex unless your wearing full plate. Cha is good, as its your casting and AC stat.

Also, keep at least 1 healing potion on you at all times. You'll need it.

Fax Celestis
2007-08-24, 05:48 PM
Let's see.

I'd recommend dropping those points out of Cha and putting them into Wis, and taking the Serenity (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Serenity,Dragon) feat. That should help somewhat. Also, the Battle Blessing feat from Complete Champion should help somewhat.

Further, I'd recommend Power Attack, simply for it's utility--and it's power increases if you take the right Mantles. After all, some of them add to your Attack Bonus, which'll let you PA for that much more.

MeklorIlavator
2007-08-24, 05:51 PM
If you need feats as a paladin, try getting some feats that boost your combat power. Power attack (And later, Cleave and Great Cleave) Are good choices, as are Weapon Specialization so you can get +1 to attacks as it appears your level 1.

I would switch Wis and Dex, cause as a frontliner, you need Dex unless your wearing full plate. Cha is good, as its your casting and AC stat.

Yep, level 1. And The thing is I want to be able to cast spells, and with a 7 in the casting stat I definatly can't do it. I was thinking about power attack, but I really couldn't think of anything else( and do you mean weapon focus, because specialization is fighter only).

Well, let me start by saying - Ow. Those stats kinda hurt.

And, I'm not too sure on Fax's paladin, but I know Complete Champion has some awesome feats for the PHB Paladin, which really knock it up a notch (like automatically quickening all Paladin spells). I don't know if they'd be compatable with Fax's though.
And thats using 4d6, best 3. If you total everything up before the boosted 5 points, I had less than the elite array. And I don't have the Complete Champion. I think it would be compatable, though, because you can pretty much make your normal paladin with Fax's version,m it just gets a couple of extra things.

Edit: That's a great feat. Thank you, Fax Celestis. I'll most likely switch dex and Cha, if I can take it.

Pokemaster
2007-08-24, 05:52 PM
You're probably going to need Improved Initiative to make up for your dexterity, unless you can get it up to 10.

SadisticFishing
2007-08-24, 06:20 PM
For Improved Initiative, just buy lots of potions of Heroics (SpC).

Alrighty, well, basically, play it as a charging fighter, and take Charging Smite from PHB2.

Here's my (feat) build:

1 Power Attack
H Cleave (if you're not human, don't take this feat)
3 Improved Bull Rush
6 Shock Trooper (CWar)
9 Battle Blessing (CCha)
12 Divine Might (CWar)
15 Leap Attack (CAdv)
18 Cometary Collision (PHB2)

Make sure to read the Spell Compendium for awesome spells, such as Rhino's Rush (swift action, you do double damage on 1 charge).

To make it even more charge damage, you can go Raptoran or Dragonborn and dive with a Glaive.

SadisticFishing
2007-08-24, 06:24 PM
Oops, I didn't notice that you're not using the base paladin - I'm too lazy to read any fix, as paladin is no where near as weak as everyone says (everyone thinks melee is weaker than it is), so hopefully all this carries over.

Fax Celestis
2007-08-24, 06:27 PM
Oops, I didn't notice that you're not using the base paladin - I'm too lazy to read any fix, as paladin is no where near as weak as everyone says (everyone thinks melee is weaker than it is), so hopefully all this carries over.

It does. The main difference in the HiSB Paladin is that it has an evolving code of conduct, with associated benefits.

Xaros
2007-08-24, 06:42 PM
How about Sacred Healing from CDiv? That lets you convert turn attempts into fast healing 3.

EDIT: Of course, you can't have it until level 5 - it requires 8 ranks in Heal.

MeklorIlavator
2007-08-24, 07:41 PM
If I switch around Dex, Cha, and Wisdom, would combat reflexes followed by Stand Still to provide control be a good idea?

Fax Celestis
2007-08-24, 07:51 PM
If I switch around Dex, Cha, and Wisdom, would combat reflexes followed by Stand Still to provide control be a good idea?

Only if you get reach somehow.

MeklorIlavator
2007-08-24, 08:03 PM
I always did like glaives...

Oh, and should serenity apply to mantels too?

Fax Celestis
2007-08-24, 08:44 PM
I always did like glaives...

Oh, and should serenity apply to mantels too?

It should, yes.