PDA

View Full Version : DM Help One Shot Treasure Hunt Help - Riddles

nickl_2000
2018-01-15, 02:10 PM
As some may have known. I play the role of fill in DM for my group on the days that someone is missing or the DM isn't ready. So, I've been writing a set of one shots that can be used to fill in easily. So far I've written a heist and a gladiator combat missions, and this one is going to be a treasure hunt.

For some reason, as I was writing it the Redwall series came time mind and I wanted to replicate that somewhat. So, I would like some help with writing, clarifying, or obfuscating these riddles.

The PCs will be going to an old Abbey that has been taken over by undead. The Abbey will consist of a Sanctuary, Headmaster's quarters, Novices Quarters, Stable, dining room, tower, various monks cells, kitchen, side chapel, and visitor quarters

My riddles are as follows. I would love thoughts on where you would go for these and how you would solve them. I'm putting the answers in the spoilers after to see if it make sense

I looked out over the Abbey to see the rising sun and gods creations.
There is much beauty and much danger in the world.
Thus, the riches of the Abbey must be guarded and hidden from those that are not worthy.
Only the penitent man will be able to start the journey to find them.
The PCs will need to go to the tower, where there will be a desecrated symbol to Helm. Kneeling before the symbol facing east will cause the next riddle to appear etched into the symbol

The seekers must humble themselves to the level of the lowest monk
Seek to live and serve like the lowly.
Only by serving will you stoke the fires of the gods
And the smoke will guide you on the next step to discover our wealth.
The next clue and a piece of the key to find the treasure will be hidden inside a small compartment inside the chimney in the novice quarters

From the most lowly to the highest servant, we all serve the gods.
Only those that have achieved the highest level of service to the gods will continue.
Lie down and consider your ultimate goal
Only when under the a deep sleep will one be able to continue onwards.
This leads to the headmasters quarters where there is a catch in the bed and a secret cache hidden beneath it. This will include the other piece to the key

The righteous man serves the gods even after their death.
During life on worships before the altar,
But the ultimate reward is achieved in the grave
There is a catch on the altar table, which leads into the crypts. The big bad will be hiding here, and the fixed key will open the crypt of the founder of the order which will contain the treasure

So, there you go. I need to put in all kinds of combat between, but what do you think of these clues? Any thought, suggestions, or modifications? The timing should be about right for one even for my group, so I don't want to add more in there to make it longer if I can avoid it.

Oh and if anyone wants this or any of the other missions that I've completed, I would be happy to share a link to my google drive account that has those in there. Use them, modify them, have fun with them.

Balthasaurus
2018-01-15, 03:21 PM
Those clues seem pretty neat, they aren't too hard and I had a pretty good idea of what was supposed to be done in each case. Good job!

Here's an idea: use a rug of smothering to represent the sheets on the bed, which attack those who try to lie down in it. This could be an interesting encounter if they try to sleep in the bed instead of searching for hidden compartments!

nickl_2000
2018-01-15, 04:26 PM
Those clues seem pretty neat, they aren't too hard and I had a pretty good idea of what was supposed to be done in each case. Good job!

Here's an idea: use a rug of smothering to represent the sheets on the bed, which attack those who try to lie down in it. This could be an interesting encounter if they try to sleep in the bed instead of searching for hidden compartments!

That's a great idea. Thanks!

nickl_2000
2018-01-16, 04:50 PM
sorry to bump my own post, but I would love at least one more look through and opinion

JoyfulJester
2018-01-17, 05:49 AM
Have some sort of encounter or penalty if they get the riddle incorrect. Perhaps they find themselves in a part of the Abbey they shouldn't be in. I like the riddles.

nickl_2000
2018-01-17, 07:20 AM
Have some sort of encounter or penalty if they get the riddle incorrect. Perhaps they find themselves in a part of the Abbey they shouldn't be in. I like the riddles.

My plan is to have encounters in all areas of the Abbey, right or wrong. This will include "random" ones that creep up when the PCs are going to the wrong area.

Cespenar
2018-01-17, 08:18 AM
The last three riddles seem a bit too easy in my opinion. You even outright mention the place to go, in the case of the altar, for example.

Personally, I'd remove words like "lowest" and "highest", and avoid reiterating the clue 2-3 times.

Try to find more indirect descriptions like your first clue, which is the best one among them in my opinion: the logic leap from "I looked out over the Abbey" to "tower".

nickl_2000
2018-01-17, 09:00 AM
The last three riddles seem a bit too easy in my opinion. You even outright mention the place to go, in the case of the altar, for example.

Personally, I'd remove words like "lowest" and "highest", and avoid reiterating the clue 2-3 times.

Try to find more indirect descriptions like your first clue, which is the best one among them in my opinion: the logic leap from "I looked out over the Abbey" to "tower".

Here, I tweaked a few things to obfuscate but still keeping the same things.

The seekers must humble themselves before the god
The next clue and a piece of the key to find the treasure will be hidden inside a small compartment inside the chimney in the novice quarters

The next step in the path is only available to one mature on the path of service
In the nights his meditations are guided by the gods.
Only when under a deep sleep will one learn the path.
This leads to the headmasters quarters where there is a catch in the bed and a secret cache hidden beneath it. This will include the other piece to the key
-I struggled on this one to make it coherent. Does this work?

During life one must worship with his peers,
But the ultimate reward is given to a single man and achieved in the grave
There is a catch on the altar table, which leads into the crypts. The big bad will be hiding here, and the fixed key will open the crypt of the founder of the order which will contain the treasure

Cespenar
2018-01-17, 10:29 AM
Definitely better.

-Novices one is okay. Still easy, but not obviously so.
-Headmaster is okay too, maybe simplify the first verse a bit.
-About the altar, you might want to add "kneel down to worship", or put "ritual" in there somewhere, maybe, to better allude to the altar?

nickl_2000
2018-01-17, 10:46 AM
Definitely better.

-Novices one is okay. Still easy, but not obviously so.
-Headmaster is okay too, maybe simplify the first verse a bit.
-About the altar, you might want to add "kneel down to worship", or put "ritual" in there somewhere, maybe, to better allude to the altar?

Thanks, I will make the adjustments.

I looked out over the Abbey to see the rising sun and gods creations.
There is much beauty and much danger in the world.
Thus, the riches of the Abbey must be guarded and hidden from those that are not worthy.
Only the penitent man will be able to start the journey to find them.

The seekers must humble themselves before the god

The next step in the path is only available to one mature in their servitude
In the nights his meditations are guided by the gods.
Only when under a deep sleep will one learn the path.

During life one kneels and worships with his peers,
But the ultimate reward is given to a single man and achieved in the grave

TrinculoLives
2018-01-18, 12:40 AM
The PCs will be going to an old Abbey that has been taken over by undead.
Hello Dark Souls!