PDA

View Full Version : Questions on druid no-metal armor/shield and multiclassing...

samcifer
2018-01-15, 02:34 PM
So I'm considering playing a Cleric who mcs into Druid, but would the druid class make me unable to use metal armor or shields? Also, can druids use metal weapons like swords, daggers, hammers and axes (among others)?

nickl_2000
2018-01-15, 02:37 PM
So I'm considering playing a Cleric who mcs into Druid, but would the druid class make me unable to use metal armor or shields? Also, can druids use metal weapons like swords, daggers, hammers and axes (among others)?

A druid cannot use metal armor or shields. So,multiclassing would mean you can't anymore. You can use wooden or bone shields easily though.

Metal weapons are fine in this edition.

And your DM can waive the metal armor requirement if they want.

JackPhoenix
2018-01-15, 02:51 PM
A druid cannot use metal armor or shields. So,multiclassing would mean you can't anymore. You can use wooden or bone shields easily though.

Metal weapons are fine in this edition.

And your DM can waive the metal armor requirement if they want.

Correction: druid can use metal armor or shields, but won't for religious reasons.

robbie374
2018-01-15, 02:55 PM
A druid cannot use metal armor or shields. So,multiclassing would mean you can't anymore. You can use wooden or bone shields easily though. Metal weapons are fine in this edition. And your DM can waive the metal armor requirement if they want. Druids *can* wear metal armor; they just choose not to. http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/rules-answers-march-2016 If your druid chooses to wear metal armor, then explain why your character is an exception.

Sigreid
2018-01-15, 02:58 PM
Druids *can* wear metal armor, they just choose not to. http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/rules-answers-march-2016 If your druid chooses to wear metal armor, then explain why your character is an exception.

This would require DM agreement as he would be within his rights to make it a hard religious taboo like in older editions.

Naanomi
2018-01-15, 03:03 PM
It is one of the few places where a restriction overrides permissions, Druids cannot (well... will not) use nonmetal armor even if they gain the proficiency.

Some tables don’t like what they see as a ‘pointless limitation’/‘sacred cow’ and override this (either as a whole, or as an individual exception) and there isn’t really a balance concern either way. I keep it in place at my table personally

MxKit
2018-01-15, 03:07 PM
Yeah, this is one you're going to have to ask your DM about. Some are willing to waive it, especially in the case of multiclasses where waiving it seems to make sense; some think it's dumb in the first place; some will want to keep it across the board. Just double check on how yours wants to handle it.