PDA

View Full Version : Gamer Drama The Most Controversial Character That You Ever Play

Bartmanhomer
2018-01-15, 05:59 PM
Hello everyone. We all play character that are good, bad, funny, jerkish and etc. But what about the much controversy? There are character that caused so more controversial that makes other players and even DM to get really mad and caused so much drama. So my question is who was the most controversial character that you ever played? Ready...go!

Hugh Mann
2018-01-15, 06:50 PM
Well this only partially fits in, as my character wasn't that was controversial, but rather my GM's perceptions that made it controversial.
The GM expected the worst out of the party, as most of us either actively did terrible things or simply stood by and allowed terrible things to happen.

There came to a point where we encountered a heavily injured unconscious woman in a dangerous area. At this point the party had no healer so my character laid her down in his carriage and sat down next to her so that he could check to see if her condition worsened. And finally he locked the door, so that no stealthy monsters could get inside and harm her.

Except that I didn't explain why I was doing this. And all of a sudden the DM was very upset with me, said that my actions went too far, and that my character's alignment was now evil.

The DM thought my character was trying to rape her.

Lord Raziere
2018-01-15, 07:18 PM
Hello everyone. We all play character that are good, bad, funny, jerkish and etc. But what about the much controversy? There are character that caused so more controversial that makes other players and even DM to get really mad and caused so much drama. So my question is who was the most controversial character that you ever played? Ready...go!

I don't have any characters that cause controversy, but I do have some that are probably pretty controversial in concept:

A succubus spy from heaven. basically a succubus who would grow tired of being in hell and evil thus betray hell to serve the angels in an espionage like move and thus try to go around being a sexy succubus spy for good under the angels direction. at no point would she ever become an angel herself, but neither would she be evil.

I also have ideas for things like a transhuman person who clones themselves and puts a copy of their memories into their clone to be their own lover because they experienced traumatic memories and think that only another version of themselves would truly understand their pain.

though lets be honest, I'd probably cause the most controversy by just making orcish Karkat or Kankri Vantas and dropping him into a generic dnd game.

jojo
2018-01-16, 05:23 AM
There's a big difference between "controversial" and "provocative." It sounds to me like this thread is meant to be about "provocative" characters rather than controversial ones.

Controversy tends to result from actions in-character rather than OOC Concepts. If you know you're going to cause drama just by rolling a concept up then you're being provocative, not controversial. Of course there's always edgelord chicanery to consider but that's usually just cringe-worthy but bearable.

I've had more than a few controversial characters over the years. It's kind of difficult to say which one was the "most" controversial.

There was an ADnD Paladin named Dane who participated in a year-long weekly campaign (20 or so years in-game) ending around level 12 for other PCs without ever advancing to 2nd level. It wouldn't be inaccurate to say that he had "Weapon Mastery: Microeconomics" as a proficiency. During the first session the party ended up owning the deed to a fortified mill/toll bridge serving as the only direct access point between the heavily populated industrialized area of a kingdom and the sparsely populated agrarian heartland for nearly fifty miles in either direction.
Dane proceeded to use diplomacy and logistics to pacify and convert a local tribe of mixed orcs and goblins into a private army in service of the Church of Heironeous, the Bishop was not amused and Dane became a fighter for a while.
The Church changed its tune when Dane pacified the large swathes of previously inhospitable and outright hostile forests and mountains in bordering the heartlands using his fanatical Goblins and Orcs, who were quite pleased by the grants of farmland that Dane passed around in lieu of payment netting him a Ducal Patent and serving as his atonement.
Being able to tap into previously inaccessible mineral wealth in the mountains set off waves of immigration resulting in Dane's Duchy becoming more powerful than the Kingdom which effectively choked to death economically resulting in Duchal Secession followed shortly by a bloodless coup in the capital to enable re-integration since, as a racially integrationist state the Duchy had become a mecca for demi and monstrous humanoids - the only condition for which was converting to the worship of Heironeous and attending the state-run schools operating out of the network of Heironean Churches Dane's ever-increasing wealth allow the construction of.
Eventually the issue of ordination of demi and monstrous humanoid got heated enough that a Schism occurred by which time not even Heironeous himself could outright ignore the hundreds of thousands of LG monstrous humanoids rolling around resulting in a brief and relatively bloodless cycle of reformation/counter-reformation from which Dane's faction emerged intact with the blessings of Heironeous.
During the course of this the other party members tore through the kingdom, thanks to the massive amounts of cash Dane threw their way and took out basically every dungeon and evil-stronghold in the kingdom over the course of a few years.
At the end the party, on Dane's behalf, branched out into conquest with a series of counter-invasions after neighboring Elves, Dwarves and other d-bags decided that Dane was basically Asmodeous Incarnate and started getting all genocidal and invasive. Thanks to the Duchy's racial harmony however massive reserves of highly motivated man-power won the day under the leadership of the rest of the Party to form a confederation, which the losers were allowed to join only on the same conditions offered the goblins and orcs decades before:

"Convert to the worship of Heironeous, Commit to Re-Education, Serve the Duchy."

Not surprisingly the vast majority were less than happy, so migrations were used to provoke exodus allowing the territory to be re-incorporated.

By that point Dane had become tangential enough that I was actually playing the son of one our earliest converts who was a rising star in the kingdom in addition to Dane.

The natural result of the Dwarven and Elven intractability was for Heironeous to go to war against Moradin and Corellon Latherian. We wrapped the campaign at that point.

Provocative is a wee bit different.

I'd say my most provocative character was "Harambecil" who was quite naturally a druid that refused to wildshape into anything other than a lion or bear. That proved to be quite enough.

Bartmanhomer
2018-01-16, 08:55 AM
There's a big difference between "controversial" and "provocative." It sounds to me like this thread is meant to be about "provocative" characters rather than controversial ones.

Controversy tends to result from actions in-character rather than OOC Concepts. If you know you're going to cause drama just by rolling a concept up then you're being provocative, not controversial. Of course there's always edgelord chicanery to consider but that's usually just cringe-worthy but bearable.

I've had more than a few controversial characters over the years. It's kind of difficult to say which one was the "most" controversial.

There was an ADnD Paladin named Dane who participated in a year-long weekly campaign (20 or so years in-game) ending around level 12 for other PCs without ever advancing to 2nd level. It wouldn't be inaccurate to say that he had "Weapon Mastery: Microeconomics" as a proficiency. During the first session the party ended up owning the deed to a fortified mill/toll bridge serving as the only direct access point between the heavily populated industrialized area of a kingdom and the sparsely populated agrarian heartland for nearly fifty miles in either direction.
Dane proceeded to use diplomacy and logistics to pacify and convert a local tribe of mixed orcs and goblins into a private army in service of the Church of Heironeous, the Bishop was not amused and Dane became a fighter for a while.
The Church changed its tune when Dane pacified the large swathes of previously inhospitable and outright hostile forests and mountains in bordering the heartlands using his fanatical Goblins and Orcs, who were quite pleased by the grants of farmland that Dane passed around in lieu of payment netting him a Ducal Patent and serving as his atonement.
Being able to tap into previously inaccessible mineral wealth in the mountains set off waves of immigration resulting in Dane's Duchy becoming more powerful than the Kingdom which effectively choked to death economically resulting in Duchal Secession followed shortly by a bloodless coup in the capital to enable re-integration since, as a racially integrationist state the Duchy had become a mecca for demi and monstrous humanoids - the only condition for which was converting to the worship of Heironeous and attending the state-run schools operating out of the network of Heironean Churches Dane's ever-increasing wealth allow the construction of.
Eventually the issue of ordination of demi and monstrous humanoid got heated enough that a Schism occurred by which time not even Heironeous himself could outright ignore the hundreds of thousands of LG monstrous humanoids rolling around resulting in a brief and relatively bloodless cycle of reformation/counter-reformation from which Dane's faction emerged intact with the blessings of Heironeous.
During the course of this the other party members tore through the kingdom, thanks to the massive amounts of cash Dane threw their way and took out basically every dungeon and evil-stronghold in the kingdom over the course of a few years.
At the end the party, on Dane's behalf, branched out into conquest with a series of counter-invasions after neighboring Elves, Dwarves and other d-bags decided that Dane was basically Asmodeous Incarnate and started getting all genocidal and invasive. Thanks to the Duchy's racial harmony however massive reserves of highly motivated man-power won the day under the leadership of the rest of the Party to form a confederation, which the losers were allowed to join only on the same conditions offered the goblins and orcs decades before:

"Convert to the worship of Heironeous, Commit to Re-Education, Serve the Duchy."

Not surprisingly the vast majority were less than happy, so migrations were used to provoke exodus allowing the territory to be re-incorporated.

By that point Dane had become tangential enough that I was actually playing the son of one our earliest converts who was a rising star in the kingdom in addition to Dane.

The natural result of the Dwarven and Elven intractability was for Heironeous to go to war against Moradin and Corellon Latherian. We wrapped the campaign at that point.

Provocative is a wee bit different.

I'd say my most provocative character was "Harambecil" who was quite naturally a druid that refused to wildshape into anything other than a lion or bear. That proved to be quite enough.
Oh I see what you mean.

dagfari
2018-01-18, 01:19 AM
My current character is a cleric.

His religion is the official religion of his home country, and it's occasionally difficult for him to understand that not everyone shares his outlook.

"Who is the leader of your group?"

"To be honest, none of us can claim to be the leader. *pointing around the group* The Bard is totally untrustworthy, he's an orcish half-breed, none of them are particular to my religion, and she's a woman."

(The Half-Orc) "Hey, what?"
(The woman) "Hey what?"
(The bard) "Hey... okay yeah I am pretty sneaky. That's fair."

"The words of the Master Builder are very clear on this matter."

"What if I'm not a member of your stupid religion?"

"You may not believe in the Builder, but the Master Builder believes in you - and the words of the Smith-in-Exile say clearly that we must not allow women to lead men."

peacenlove
2018-01-18, 09:11 AM
The most recent was Omnisexual Druid in Curse of Stradh, 5e.
We were supposed to save a holy tree from some corrupted druids. When we did so I awakened it and married it.

One of the choices you are given is control of Barovia. I of course accepted. So no one could object to my choice of Queen.

Other notable deeds of this character was:

Teaming up with a bard (who had access to Animate Objects) and Tatiana (the NPC Stradh was trying to kidnap) and we set up a theatrical play. The main theme was "Kidnap the princess" because she was quite adept at being helpless since ...

She was kidnapped at least 5 times, including by a Revenant Dragon cult. My character saved her all 5 times, each time with a different spell / method.

Seducing a hag coven. Yes, the seduction attempt went as far as you can imagine. Then mugging them before the party killed them. This happened twice.

Amaril
2018-01-18, 11:40 AM
A few years ago, I briefly got into a 5e game with some friends of friends from school. I've always enjoyed playing good-guy characters, and I was prepared for things to get rather silly, so I made a shooty ranger who I described as basically Cary Elwes in Robin Hood: Men In Tights.

As it turned out, while I got the silly part right, the rest of the group was more interested in the burn-down-the-starting-tavern-and-kill-everyone-in-it-for-a-laugh kind of game. There was the chaotic evil gnome necromancer, the neutral evil cleric who literally got divine powers from narcissism (she worshiped herself--her holy symbol was a mirror, which, in fairness, was actually pretty funny), and the neutral elf rogue who just kinda went along with whatever. So, my character ended up being the odd man out. In the end, we actually somehow made it work, kind of, but there was some friction while we figured things out.

Also, one time for a Mutants & Masterminds game on here, I made a biokinetic shapeshifter with powers inspired by Alex Mercer from Prototype. As a random bit of flavor, because why not, I mentioned that this character was essentially genderfluid, since they could and did change bodies like most people changed clothes. The GM vetoed that detail, complaining that it would be too much trouble to keep track of what gender my character was at any given moment. When I explained that said character didn't care one bit how they were addressed, so the GM was free to just ignore the issue, the GM responded with some rather sexist comments to the effect that it would necessarily have too much effect on the character's behavior to be so easily overlooked. I dropped out of that game.

Arbane
2018-01-18, 12:20 PM
When I explained that said character didn't care one bit how they were addressed, so the GM was free to just ignore the issue, the GM responded with some rather sexist comments to the effect that it would necessarily have too much effect on the character's behavior to be so easily overlooked. I dropped out of that game.

Probably a good choice.

I was just reading the Alignment Thread of Doooooom, so I'll just say "A Paladin". I'm not kidding about them having "Cause Ethics Argument" as an at-will power.

PastorofMuppets
2018-01-18, 06:09 PM
Terry is my most controversial, if you mean the one that lead to the most discussions and times the GM wodered what is wrong with you. Terry was a black spiral dancer in a 2 group game of Werewolf The Apocalypse 20th anniversary ed. The campaign was pretty much a good group of lots of players 6 or 7, can't recall vs 4 evil players that were more experienced with RPGs setting up problems the good guys had to investigate to take us out. We probably got away with a few more things than we should but it was all to set up good challenges for the protagonist group. Terry was a Glasswalker Theurge, he was pretty much the Doctor Krieger of the group but throwing in occasional spirits and/or banes to supercharge things and see what would happen in the name of Science.

Our groups first mission was to kill a small Gaian camp that was being built into a proper cairn and when we all pitched our plans and mine was most approved by the group and most vetoed by the GM. It went something like this;
Me: We are based in south California as is the target cairn right?
GM: yes
Me: Its being built off an old Ranger Dispatch station so they have a few buildings they could be hiding in but they are in the woods so we should have some cover for a stealthy approach?"
GM: yes but it's early fall so leaves are coming down. you'd have cover but moving silently might be harder than normal with all the dry leaves coming down.
Me: Perfect we can do this easily enough, first step is to the interstate to a truck stop!
GM:... what?
Me: to steal the oil truck, california has lots of refineries there are bound to be oil shipping trucks at a truck stop, we just have to steal a full one.
GM: but... its up a narrow path in some forested hills, in a national park you can't get a big rig like that in there.
Me: Not with that attitude! but no we won't drive the truck there, we ditch the truck in a field with 2 of the group guarding it while me and the other guy meet them there in the helicopter.
GM:....what? What helicopter?
Me: the one we steal from the forest service
GM: Why would they have a helicopter you can steal?
Me: to fight forest fires
GM: No
(rest of group, much laughter)
Me: then we hook the hose to the tanker and load the fire suppression chopper with the oil or gasoline we stole and firebomb the Cairn, like a fuel air bomb instant fwoosh and no more werewolves.
GM: More no
Me: Standard military stuff, locate a target, establish aerial superiority, light them up and then check for survivors
GM, over group laughter: Werewolves NEVER Need to establish Air Superiority!

It was a fun first session, other notables include the founding of Dragon Dogs, our income source of street side artisan handcrafted hotdog vendors with a secret ingredient that had nothing to do with the dwindling homeless population. Putting evil spirits into people and animals so the protagonist group would have a steady stream of fun semi demon minions to beat up, the best of which was a totally botched creation that led to Jeffy the "special" shark that basically looked like sharktopus. Selling high powered weapons explosives and special ammo to street gangs that operated vaguely nearby where we thought the "heroes" might be. Weapon creations based on videogame things and using Spirits/banes to fudge things where reality says they won't work (Flea spirits imbued into grenades with legs to create a starcraft spidermine like device for example). not all the ideas were allowed sadly like when i was told that even possessed by a bane spirit no rat will survive being fired from a grenade launcher to count as any kind of teamwork attack, not even if I give him a helmet first.

Evil games can be so fun since the main goal is wreck things for someone else