PDA

View Full Version : 7 D&D Background Playlists for a Deeper Game Experience - Post your playlists!

aandy
2018-01-16, 10:59 AM
(I have posted this in the other D&D subs here seeing as it applies to all versions)

Ladies and gentlemen I hope these playlists add extra depth to your game day
Links to Spotify Playlists:

Generally Epic D&D travel and Adventure (https://open.spotify.com/user/l37np82x5igjup2w260sczecd/playlist/68AEwZQU0lphW5mdlBWwGm)

Mellow Adventure (https://open.spotify.com/user/l37np82x5igjup2w260sczecd/playlist/3Vz8uVpYEgpIVqRJcAMH4c)

Epic Battles & Boss Battles (https://open.spotify.com/user/l37np82x5igjup2w260sczecd/playlist/6pxwuFhpd7AmiXjG9mnylz)

Ominous / Suspense / Gloom / Creepy (https://open.spotify.com/user/l37np82x5igjup2w260sczecd/playlist/4RbEN44h6528SfvWJ0TOmi)

Chase / Run! (https://open.spotify.com/user/l37np82x5igjup2w260sczecd/playlist/5PTX4ftrRS2xa75zfJh7FZ)

Normal / Minor / Inferior Battle (https://open.spotify.com/user/l37np82x5igjup2w260sczecd/playlist/7pAGCZrvrwU49cyD0VbbPv)

The Tavern (https://open.spotify.com/user/l37np82x5igjup2w260sczecd/playlist/6n0KcvMEkfKwOiKr9WwSeu)

I'm in the middle of making some more so if you feel I'm lacking a theme then I'm all ears for suggestions

Hope they're useful :)

EDIT: Feel free to put your playlists in comments!

Calthropstu
2018-01-16, 12:29 PM
How could you have a battle score compilation without Audiomachine: Blitzkrieg or Audiomachine: Genghis Khan?

I saw a some decent (and some great) songs on your lists, but Two Steps From Hell (TSFH), Epic Score and Audiomachine have so very many amazing scores and you only included the most well known of their compositions (namely ones that appeared in video games.)

I would suggest looking at the following:

For TSFH:

Dragon Rider (adventure music)
False King (battle)
Tristan (battle)
Victory (post battle or adventure)
For The Win (post battle)
Decimator (introducing the bbeg)
War of Angels (battle)
Blade Fighter (battle)
Blast the Gates (kicking in the door)
Elementum (boss fight)
To Glory (adventure)
El Dorado (Tavern)
Sky World (adventure)

Epic Score:
To be fair, you had Creator of Worlds, which is a truly amazing score (used in the Halo franchise) but so many of their scores are amazing.

Omg Run
Rogue Assassin
They Hit Without Warning
Destroyer of Gods
Prepare for the End
Battle for All Time
Ruthless Queen
Greedy Bastard
Smash Them All
Give 'em Hell
Rip the Guts Out
My Land Was Destroyed
Global Tempest

Audiomachine:
Blitzkrieg. Boss music doesn't get better.
Genghis Khan. Same.
Opus Dei.
Bruticus.
Nordica.
Gothica.
Shadowfall.
League of Datkness.
Wars of Faith
Archangel
Vicarious
Kill em All
Nomad

Each of these have literal hundreds of scores, none of them truly bad. They have dozens of composers between them posting under the same groups, and they have a vast array of music types ranging from classical chorus to hard rock chords... and mixtures of many types of music (dub step, classical, orchestral, rock, heavy metal, choral, electrical, percussion, piano and more)

Amazing doesn't even begin to describe it. Between those three, you could spend an entire day listening to music and not repeat once.

Braininthejar2
2018-01-16, 04:44 PM
I tend towards video game music

things like Baldur's Gate or Neverwinter Nights are obvious choices.

Dark Soul series is also good for horror themed bosses, while God of War is good for lumbering physical threats, while Kingdom Hearts/Final Fantasy gives a choice of music for magical/outsider bosses.

Khedrac
2018-01-17, 08:31 AM
So, you actually want something to make it harder for the DM to hear the players and the players the DM?

I would say "silence, silence, silence, silence, silence, silence, silence" - we never use background music and rarely use effect sound-tracks, when we do they are an interruption to the flow of play.

I really don't understand why people want background music for something that is mainoy people talking to each other...

aandy
2018-01-17, 10:34 AM
So, you actually want something to make it harder for the DM to hear the players and the players the DM?

I would say "silence, silence, silence, silence, silence, silence, silence" - we never use background music and rarely use effect sound-tracks, when we do they are an interruption to the flow of play.

I really don't understand why people want background music for something that is mainoy people talking to each other...

turn it down?

How could you have a battle score compilation without Audiomachine: Blitzkrieg or Audiomachine: Genghis Khan?

I saw a some decent (and some great) songs on your lists, but Two Steps From Hell (TSFH), Epic Score and Audiomachine have so very many amazing scores and you only included the most well known of their compositions (namely ones that appeared in video games.)

etc...

I like your passion! It's true, I could still add loads to the playlists but I've been cherry picking my favourites so far. There's a massive catalogue I still need to hear before I put them in any playlist. TBH some tracks I haven't put in because I've had them on repeat so much I'm bored with them, it's a shame really!

Nifft
2018-01-17, 09:08 PM

Same reason people play music in restaurants and other social venues -- to set the mood.

Music is an emotional technology, and setting the appropriate emotional tone across the whole group can add to the RP experience.

aandy
2018-01-18, 03:17 AM
Same reason people play music in restaurants and other social venues -- to set the mood.

Music is an emotional technology, and setting the appropriate emotional tone across the whole group can add to the RP experience.

Here here!

Personally, I think it's raised the impact of the game since my group began using music to amplify the mood

Calthropstu
2018-01-18, 07:40 AM
turn it down?

I like your passion! It's true, I could still add loads to the playlists but I've been cherry picking my favourites so far. There's a massive catalogue I still need to hear before I put them in any playlist. TBH some tracks I haven't put in because I've had them on repeat so much I'm bored with them, it's a shame really!

I came to the conclusion that musicians have absolutely nothing to say, and like to use a lot of words to prove it.
Which is why epic music (as this genre is called) appeals to me so much. No message, no meaning, just pure raw music that hits you right in the feels.

No more listening to whiny little dorks go on and on about their latest fling, no more listening to terrible music wanting to pretend they're making a difference, no more listening to emo bs, no more listening to people screaming trying to drown out their own music with their voice, no more stupid lyrics saying stupid things for stupid people, and most of all... no more listening to the same exact songs released over and over again with different lyrics.

Epic music is truly amazing, and is exactly what music should be.

Crake
2018-01-18, 07:53 PM

I gotta agree with Khedrac here. Music isn't something that can be appreciated if you're splitting your attention between listening to the DM, deciding on your next move, and trying to actually appreciate the music. MAYBE it would work in a "cutscene", but my table doesn't play with cutscenes much. In the end, playing music detracts attention from the actual game, either things will go slower as a result, because people are paying less attention, or the music just goes to waste on deaf ears because people are actually playing the game.

aandy
2018-01-19, 03:42 AM
I gotta agree with Khedrac here. Music isn't something that can be appreciated if you're splitting your attention between listening to the DM, deciding on your next move, and trying to actually appreciate the music. MAYBE it would work in a "cutscene", but my table doesn't play with cutscenes much. In the end, playing music detracts attention from the actual game, either things will go slower as a result, because people are paying less attention, or the music just goes to waste on deaf ears because people are actually playing the game.

Interesting.. So even if you turn it down so it's not impeding on hearing the discussion, you still believe it's splitting attention?

Out of interest, do you think the same of music in coffee houses / restaurants / scenes in films with both music and dialogue? Does music detract from video games? I'm not being a d**k with these questions BTW, I'm asking out of genuine curiosity. The music doesn't distract attention (for me), it adds to the relevant mood / atmosphere.

For me, these playlists aren't supposed to be the focus of attention. We don't actively 'listen' to the music, we hear it passively in the background...

Crake
2018-01-20, 04:34 AM
Interesting.. So even if you turn it down so it's not impeding on hearing the discussion, you still believe it's splitting attention?

Out of interest, do you think the same of music in coffee houses / restaurants / scenes in films with both music and dialogue? Does music detract from video games? I'm not being a d**k with these questions BTW, I'm asking out of genuine curiosity. The music doesn't distract attention (for me), it adds to the relevant mood / atmosphere.

For me, these playlists aren't supposed to be the focus of attention. We don't actively 'listen' to the music, we hear it passively in the background...

Our table gets pretty loud naturally, so "not impeding on hearing the discussion" practically means "can't hear the music". As for consumptive media, music plays a different role, because you're viewing, not particpating. When it comes to interactive media, unless the music is an audio queue, an element of gameplay if you will (skyrim for example, the music changes when enemies aggro on you, regardless of if you're aware or not) I tend to play with the music off, simply because it's annoyingly distracting. For single player games it's less of an issue, but for a game like an MMO, where you need to a) observe the world around you to avoid being caught in a boss' attack, b) maintain your rotation to apply full dps, and c) listen to the raid leader's calls to coordinate with the team, yeah, music just gets in the way. Music. Off.

To me, playing dnd has just as many pieces vying for attention, music is just an added distraction on top of that. As I said, for a cutscene, which is essentially consumptive media, since you're not interacting, music can work, but I dislike cutscenes in my roleplaying games.

aandy
2018-01-20, 04:16 PM
Our table gets pretty loud naturally, so "not impeding on hearing the discussion" practically means "can't hear the music". As for consumptive media, music plays a different role, because you're viewing, not particpating. When it comes to interactive media, unless the music is an audio queue, an element of gameplay if you will (skyrim for example, the music changes when enemies aggro on you, regardless of if you're aware or not) I tend to play with the music off, simply because it's annoyingly distracting. For single player games it's less of an issue, but for a game like an MMO, where you need to a) observe the world around you to avoid being caught in a boss' attack, b) maintain your rotation to apply full dps, and c) listen to the raid leader's calls to coordinate with the team, yeah, music just gets in the way. Music. Off.

To me, playing dnd has just as many pieces vying for attention, music is just an added distraction on top of that. As I said, for a cutscene, which is essentially consumptive media, since you're not interacting, music can work, but I dislike cutscenes in my roleplaying games.

Very interesting, a real rowdy bunch. Well, it's interesting to hear things from someone else's perspective.

OttoVonBigby
2018-01-21, 07:00 AM

The only way I use music is during the pre-game. While everybody's getting set up, I'll put on our setting's "overture."

I do this because
1- I agree with the remarks above about music's emotional power AND about how it's likely to be distracting DURING the game; and
2- research suggests that people struggle to set aside the rest of the day's business when they sit down to a new, immersive task such as D&D; the overture, I feel, helps put everybody into the right headspace, semi-consciously. This is the core reason why TV shows have theme music, and why some older movies started with a minutes-long overture.

And in reply to the OP, since I don't have an in-game playlist, I'll post this great track: "Lumina" by Brunuhville (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcK4uH70zPk). (It's not the overture I chose, but it was one of the finalists!)

I do have a "DM prep" playlist, but it's basically just a bunch of Blind Guardian and Edguy and Dio and Sabbath. In fact, I've really gotta diversify it. This thread ought to help with that; thanks aandy!

Jormengand
2018-01-21, 08:38 AM
no more listening to emo bs

I guess when the "Emo BS" has practically saved your life you start to feel more in favour of it. I guess also you stop seeing it as "BS" when you realise they're actually singing about the same issues that real people go through and so forth.

Which is why epic music (as this genre is called) appeals to me so much. No message, no meaning, just pure raw music that hits you right in the feels.

Also, a lot of the best emotional music I've heard had words. I can't think that a no-lyrics version of the best songs from Life is Strange (including from Before the Storm) would hit quite as hard, and that was practically the only music that could bring me to tears. And apart from one of them, all the most emotional songs had words.

For background music, of course, lack of lyrics really is essential. I recommend stealing gratuitously from MARDEK (Example: GdM Battle (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bl1J7bih148)), Sonny (Example: Final Encounter (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9I7OQ0g2l5k)) Epic Battle Fantasy (Example: Divine Madness (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYk3jum1Xcg)) and World's End (Example: The Traitorous Chancellor (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cL3BTas43vI)). Look, I like final boss music as examples, okay? :smalltongue:

(They're also all great games and all free games, so go play them. :smalltongue:)

For moments that aren't battles, I quite like stealing from Phoenix Wright/Apollo Justice (Example: Suspense (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5B4drTUy0f4)). As well as investigations (which it's designed for - it's a game about a defence lawyer), it can also add to scenes of desolation (Example: Reminiscence - Scars Etched in Flame (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3taJl-QG6Y)) or a variety of other things.

I mentioned the music from Life is Strange in the spoiler, so here's the one song I mentioned with no lyrics that I loved: Flaws (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSxfm88nZTM).

Also also, there's a guy called Lucas King who turns all those vile edgy emo songs with *shudder* words into lyricless songs for your auditory pleasure. For example: here's his take on Linkin Park's song Numb (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLK3NuGFq80). You can find similar for most songs you like which need dewording to fit, I'd imagine.

aandy
2018-01-22, 04:32 AM
2- research suggests that people struggle to set aside the rest of the day's business when they sit down to a new, immersive task such as D&D; the overture, I feel, helps put everybody into the right headspace, semi-consciously. This is the core reason why TV shows have theme music, and why some older movies started with a minutes-long overture.

This is a very interesting piece of info I didn't know, where did you read about that? It also applies to a couple of other things i do outside of D&D, so I'm keen to see more writing on it. (I'll be using this pre game method! It's a great idea i didn't think of but seems pretty obvious now you've said it)

Also also, there's a guy called Lucas King who turns all those vile edgy emo songs with *shudder* words into lyricless songs for your auditory pleasure. For example: here's his take on Linkin Park's song Numb (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLK3NuGFq80). You can find similar for most songs you like which need dewording to fit, I'd imagine.

This is a cool find. Not my style but I'd imagine pretty useful for some others on the forum

The internet... What a wondrous place

OttoVonBigby
2018-01-22, 10:31 AM
This is a very interesting piece of info I didn't know, where did you read about that? It also applies to a couple of other things i do outside of D&D, so I'm keen to see more writing on it.

Well, this article (https://www.chronicle.com/article/Small-Changes-in-Teaching-The/234869) is about the phenomenon as it applies to students coming in to the start of a class. If I've ever read anything about how it applies to D&D specifically, I've long since forgotten about it. But I'm sure my fellow DMs will back me up on this: sometimes players take a while to get in the zone.

I guess the only downside of playing a pre-game "theme song" that comes to mind is that it could be perceived as vaguely tyrannical; like, once the song ends, the players maybe feel subtle pressure to shut the hell up and get on task. But that's probably a lot more dependent on the DM's demeanor than anything.