PDA

View Full Version : No Spell Incantatrix Help

malloc
2018-01-16, 12:48 PM
So for whatever reason, my friend decided he wants to run a level 15 game. 200K gold (standard WBL), all official publications legal (Dragon Mags, everything). Leadership is banned.

I've never had the chance to play an Incantatrix, so I jumped at the chance, but I'm not interested in the metamagic reduction...I'm interested in cooperative metamagic. So I pitched the idea of playing Incantatrix with no base spellcasting classes, and he okayed it.

The entries I'm currently looking at are

x 5/Chameleon 3/Incanatrix 2/Exemplar 5

And

Spellthief 6/Incantatrix 2/X (Mythic Exemplar?) 2/Exemplar 5

Spellthief explicitly casts the stolen spells, so it has 3rd level arcane spellcasting. I am using the Spellskill variant so I don't get any spells of my own, and thus am not a base spellcasting class.

I'm sure there are ways through feat chains to get access to 3rd level spells. If you have other interesting entries, feel free to post them here.

I'm looking for interesting feats, races, or classes to add to this build both to help my spellcraft and to give me other fun toys to play with.

I've considered Paladin 2 for Cha to saves, Warlock for the +6 spellcraft from Dark Arcana, and Binder for...well, bindy things, but I'm looking for alternative thoughts. What are some unique feats or classes (including PrCs) that don't fit on most builds, but might be fun to play with?

Nifft
2018-01-16, 01:05 PM
Assuming that in this game full-casters are not allowed to take Incantatrix...

If you did continue into Incantatrix far enough to get metamagic reduction -- and spell-trigger metamagic -- you'd have an interesting character that would offer new capabilities to a party of casters.

malloc
2018-01-16, 11:21 PM
Assuming that in this game full-casters are not allowed to take Incantatrix...

If you did continue into Incantatrix far enough to get metamagic reduction -- and spell-trigger metamagic -- you'd have an interesting character that would offer new capabilities to a party of casters.

As previously stated, the focus is on Cooperative Metamagic. If I wanted to run UMD, I'd play an archivist.

Looking for 1-2 PrC dips with interesting class features or exciting feats to open fun mechanics.

Anthrowhale
2018-01-17, 06:26 AM
You might consider Heartfire Fanner.

daremetoidareyo
2018-01-17, 10:48 AM
Master spellthief feat, + rage mage spell fury allows you to boost your caster level to 2X the number of class levels.

So, depending on the school, you can steal and cast 9ths before a wizard can. Look for spells that don't have caps on them, or find a way to get the enhance spell epic feat.

If you have attune gem or scribe tattoo, you can put that spell into those items and save them.

spellfire wielder? -> Spellfire channeler?
You can absorb your circle magic spell as spellfire and blast it out?

Hiro Quester
2018-01-17, 02:09 PM

+1 to that.

It's a 5 level PrC from Dragon 314. It grants "Magic Flare" bardic music abilities, that enables others to cast metamagiced spells without increasing spell level. (Others grant use of fighter bonus feats, which are very useful for the non-casters in your party).

Two meh feats and 10 ranks in perform and diplomacy as prerequisites. But with enough ranks in the perform skill you also get all the bardic music abilities of a bard.

They also see fire as an embodiment of artistic passion and creation, so there's lots of fun roleplaying possibilities there too.

malloc
2018-01-17, 03:12 PM
Master spellthief feat, + rage mage spell fury allows you to boost your caster level to 2X the number of class levels.

So, depending on the school, you can steal and cast 9ths before a wizard can. Look for spells that don't have caps on them, or find a way to get the enhance spell epic feat.

If you have attune gem or scribe tattoo, you can put that spell into those items and save them.

spellfire wielder? -> Spellfire channeler?
You can absorb your circle magic spell as spellfire and blast it out?

Unfortunately, the feat does specify class levels as opposed to caster level, but I love the Master Spellthief feat. And the attune gem/scribe tattoo is a great idea. Will definitely look into both of those. And Spellfire was something I was considering as well, since it's at least an interesting mechanic, and fits the theme of being some sort of arcane conduit.

+1 to that.

It's a 5 level PrC from Dragon 314. It grants "Magic Flare" bardic music abilities, that enables others to cast metamagiced spells without increasing spell level. (Others grant use of fighter bonus feats, which are very useful for the non-casters in your party).

Two meh feats and 10 ranks in perform and diplomacy as prerequisites. But with enough ranks in the perform skill you also get all the bardic music abilities of a bard.

They also see fire as an embodiment of artistic passion and creation, so there's lots of fun roleplaying possibilities there too.

Magic Flare ends up being redundant with Cooperative Metamagic, unfortunately--they both apply similar bonuses for spellcasters. While inspired fight is a great feature, there's a two feat tax to get into the class to grant 1 person 1 feat, or 2 feats when we reach 16. I think there's a feat that would allow me to to apply the feats and ready actions for Cooperative Metamagic, but we're up to a 3 feat tax and that's a bit steep for moderate return.

I've found a few classes that, with a 2 level dip, will allow me to pick up another feat for relatively little expense on my part. With the introduction of Master Spellthief, however, I may have to re-examine my build and see if I can't find a way to increase the +spellcasting class levels I have and be able to steal some juicier spells.

Are there any ways to increase the "level check" for Absorb Spell? Luck feats come to mind; granting a re-roll is a pretty hefty bonus (like +5 effective, IIRC).

http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20050107a

For reference to the Spellthief, if needed.