PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Deities and their domains

Jam_Slatewhich
2018-01-16, 02:18 PM
How do you handle a deities domains? Personally i would let a cleric use a domain when pledged to a god of something as long as they can explain how they relate. For example, i would let a cleric of Pelor have the forge domain, cause he can channel the heat of the sun through them to warp the metal into shape.

ShadowSandbag
2018-01-16, 02:35 PM
I agree, if they can justify the domain choice then allow it.

Louro
2018-01-16, 02:55 PM
I would let a cleric of Pelor have the forge domain, cause he can channel the heat of the sun through them to warp the metal into shape.
Poor argument, really poor.

"I am commited to develop my craftmanship skills to the fullest, so I can be of assistance to my brothers in the first line"
Character dreams of Sir Knight, the Awesome (top Pelor's paladin) wielding his sword, wearing his armor.

Naanomi
2018-01-16, 03:58 PM
Depends on the setting, but classically the 'Domains' relate directly to the nature of the Deity and their 'Portfolio' (the parts of reality the God has dominion over and responsibility for) and not the teachings/perceptions of the Cleric themselves

Asmotherion
2018-01-16, 04:27 PM
Depends on the setting, but classically the 'Domains' relate directly to the nature of the Deity and their 'Portfolio' (the parts of reality the God has dominion over and responsibility for) and not the teachings/perceptions of the Cleric themselves

This.

Practically, Domains in most pre-made worlds are not a Broad perspective of "Does the Deity have any Assosiated Teaching/Myth about this" but more of a strict "Is it his buissness to interfear in mortal affairs in a particular Domain", either directly (through his Avatar), or indirectly (through his Champions/Clerics/Paladins), that domain being his/her "Portofolio". A Deity not abiding by their Portofolio are strictly punished by the Chief Deity of their Pantheon, who in turn answears to the Overdeity (in most cases Ao).

If you're using a homebrew world on the other hand, or just want to make something that works for you, you're free to refluff things as you see fit. I'm just saying that "Forge Domain Pelor" is not something I would allow in my campain, and if it happened, it would probably have Pelor Removed as a Deity and Reduced to a mortal as a concequance, best case scenario (not that this wouldn't give a lot of amazing RP opportunities).

Louro
2018-01-16, 04:58 PM
If you're using a homebrew world on the other hand, or just want to make something that works for you, you're free to refluff things as you see fit. I'm just saying that "Forge Domain Pelor" is not something I would allow in my campain, and if it happened, it would probably have Pelor Removed as a Deity and Reduced to a mortal as a concequance, best case scenario (not that this wouldn't give a lot of amazing RP opportunities).

Holy sacred cow!!
Would you demote a high God to mortal for just giving forge domain to a mortal?
Your AO is lame :P

---

Yes yes, Pelor is life and war (light feels way too wizardry imo).
I would allow such a thing easily, makes the character interesting and it helps your player feel special with no mechanical interference at all. Just some fluff.

Lord AO (if miracullously ever happens to get to know this): "Oh that young rascal, he is so commited to the mortals that even cheats on MY TABLES!!!.
I wish everyone behaved like him."

Naanomi
2018-01-16, 05:07 PM
AO has only been demonstrated to have power on Abeir-Toril... and the only other world with a verifiable Overpower is Dragonlance. It is hypothesized that most/all worlds have one, but that they remain unknown even to the Gods.

Breaking your portfolio, when even possible, is either just a big waste of energy with no cosmic return to you... or invites the wrath of other Gods (from your own or other Pantheons; occasionally collectively)... and sometimes the Universe itself if you attempt to exercise a ‘forbidden’ Portfolio or break other Divine Rules (like directly interfering with the Blood War)

Louro
2018-01-16, 05:17 PM
Breaking your portfolio, when even possible, is either just a big waste of energy with no cosmic return to you... or invites the wrath of other Gods (from your own or other Pantheons; occasionally collectively)... and sometimes the Universe itself if you attempt to exercise a ‘forbidden’ Portfolio or break other Divine Rules (like directly interfering with the Blood War)

And yet, some of them seem to be eager enough to go for a try.
They did waaaaaaaaay worse than stealing a potential follower and the worlds stood still.

As far as I know Abeir-Toril is one of the (several/many) worlds being watched by AO. Possibly each of the worlds is being caressed by one AO.

EDIT: Dark Sun came to mind

JackPhoenix
2018-01-16, 05:19 PM
This.

Practically, Domains in most pre-made worlds are not a Broad perspective of "Does the Deity have any Assosiated Teaching/Myth about this" but more of a strict "Is it his buissness to interfear in mortal affairs in a particular Domain", either directly (through his Avatar), or indirectly (through his Champions/Clerics/Paladins), that domain being his/her "Portofolio". A Deity not abiding by their Portofolio are strictly punished by the Chief Deity of their Pantheon, who in turn answears to the Overdeity (in most cases Ao).

It is more likely that Pelor is just plain unable to provide domain not fitting under his portfolio. After all, D&D gods, while certainly powerful, are still limited and far from omnipotent.

Waterdeep Merch
2018-01-16, 05:20 PM
Holy sacred cow!!
Would you demote a high God to mortal for just giving forge domain to a mortal?
Your AO is lame :P

It's not without mythological precedent. Stories of gods helping mortals and getting punished for it pervade a lot of ancient scriptures, most notably Prometheus.

If we're using the ur high fantasy staple, Middle Earth, this would be an intriguing outcome for a Valar that 'crossed' Eru by helping mortals beyond the confines of the music of creation, seeing as how mortality was actually man's greatest gift. Becoming a mortal ensures they get an afterlife beyond anything the Valar knew.

There's a few cool ways to play it. Though, as stated elsewhere, official setting D&D gods aren't capable of working in domains outside their own, as domains are a divine thing that is part and parcel to the powers of the god that wields them. Acquiring additional portfolios seems to always require hostile takeovers, as start up divinities are only allowed one non-taxed domain. You can incorporate with other gods to give your clientele access to a wider selection if you'd prefer not to go through the legal hassle of hiring legions of battle-lawyers to liquidate the domains you lack.

Naanomi
2018-01-16, 05:28 PM
And yet, some of them seem to be eager enough to go for a try.
They did waaaaaaaaay worse than stealing a potential follower and the worlds stood still.

As far as I know Abeir-Toril is one of the (several/many) worlds being watched by AO. Possibly each of the worlds is being caressed by one AO.

EDIT: Dark Sun came to mind
Some do, and some have been smacked down for their efforts... and some were allowed to get away with it. Even the Gods are not often sure the outcomes of their attempts to bend the rules.

Ao, as an Overpower, isn't nearly the highest rank on the divine totem pole... above him is a 'Luminous Being' of some sort (though some say that being is actually just a higher ranking Overpower, perhaps High God of Dragonlance)... and above that are the Ancient Ones who created the Great Wheel (and, presumably, other Cosmologies as well). Nothing I've ever read has had him active in any other domain except the Crystal Sphere containing Toril

sambojin
2018-01-16, 05:43 PM
I actually wouldn't mind it, but with a slightly better explanation than the original suggestion. Depending on gameworld, I can see there being various sects of religions, and as below so above in DnD, in a way. I'd just look at them as minor domains of a god (a thing that used to be a thing in DnD). Not really stepping on another god's toes, but it had better not become a major thing for them, or at least not for all of their worshippers, or gods with that thing as their "actual" domain might get cranky.

From the reverse perspective, it means any god can become involved in just about anything.

"It happened under the Sun, so it's my problem."
"But it happened at night!"
"There was a moon. MY sunlight reflected off it, and onto them. So it happened under the Sun. I'm in!"
*grants magic*

"So Forge god, why did your cleric take it on as their personal mission, considering the warband was just looting a forest village?"
"Well, those orcs chopped down a tree, didn't they?"
"So?"
"Well, my forges need coal, don't they? There's sweet fa actual coal about, so we need to make charcoal. So that was MY tree! He had to do some QA testing on that new mace anyway. I'm in!"
*grants magic*

"Trickster god?"
"Yeah. I heard people rolling dice on another plane. Something to do with ones being hilarious. I'm in!"
*grants magic*

"OK then, Tempest. Why were you there?"
"Ummm, OK, hold on a sec. Ships come from trees, don't they? And trees come from rains and stuff too. Probably heaps of ecological damage caused by that tree getting cut down. Might affect weather patterns for years, that might. Plus, he always zaps stuff, and I love that ****. I'm in!"
*grants magic*

I'm pretty sure Ao stopped bothering to ask why, ages ago :)

It's as silly as giving gods stats, asking what they can and can't do, and if there's thought police against it. For something that can grant thousands of people the ability to cast powerful spells on a whim, each day. Maybe because they were good, maybe because the god just likes sparkly spells being used in their name. ... Wondering how the deities in DnD actually work is like wondering why everyone doesn't just eat goodberries, or how the economy actually functions in a gameworld like that.